The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2020, 07:57 AM   #1
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Sub/SeaDweller, Black Bay/Pelagos, and Seamaster

Inspired by a post I saw of a member's collection, I'm curious to hear from any members who own Rolex, Tudor, and Omega divers in their collection as to the merits of each. I'm fairly new to this level of watches, but I love my Sub and Tudor BB, and just wondering if I should be giving more consideration to the Omega Seamaster. I like their designs, but I don't know a whole lot about the brand.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 08:38 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sub/SeaDweller, Black Bay/Pelagos, and Seamaster

The Omega’s equivalent of the SeaDweller/Pelagos would be the planet ocean. On paper, the Omega technical diver is superior to its Rolex/Tudor counterparts but half of it is smoke and mirrors called marketing.

Try them on and see if you like them. They have one that is at 39.5mm diameter.

kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 08:43 AM   #3
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Just wondering if I should be giving more consideration to the Omega Seamaster. I like their designs, but I don't know a whole lot about the brand.
I think you definitely should. Classic watches with a lot of history. My favorite watches are plain black divers in SS and I love Subs and Seamasters. I like vintage Tudors as well but I'm not a fan of their modern ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub & PO.jpg (212.2 KB, 506 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 09:13 AM   #4
tomf1994
"TRF" Member

I don't have a sub, but an expII and an older Omega SMP. I think omega makes an excellent watch, with the current SMP having a great design and attention to detail. I would probably choose an SMP over a sub just because how common the sub is these days. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Having written that, I think I prefer the older versions of both because the current versions a touch too shiny for me. That's the beauty of the tudor watches though. I'm a big fan of the Pelagos because it's all business. That's what I'd own if I had to go new right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tomf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 09:44 AM   #5
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Thanks, guys. Seems like I definitely need to give it a look. Hopefully I can try some on when this is all over. Is there any real advantage to the titanium over steel on some of the models? Just curious, because Rolex and Tudors don't use titanium that I've seen.
Old 24 April 2020, 09:45 AM   #6
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Have a Black Bay, had a Pelagos, had a 2500 Planet Ocean.

I certainly thought the PO was a wonderful watch. As was the Pelagos. As is the Black Bay.

Can’t speak for a Sub, but of the 3 I’ve had....they’re all different watches with different feels. This Black Bay I have currently will likely stick around a while. Think it’s a matter of taste and fit. Pelagos felt really, really big. PO never felt that big, but was also only on the stock strap, rather than a NATO, which is how I often wore the Pelagos. PO also felt more dressy while Pelagos more rugged. BB? In the middle. Maybe. I don’t know yet. Let me get back to you on that. Polished surfaces and such.

I think that one up by the Subs is a 45mm. Mine was a 42.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 09:54 AM   #7
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Have a Black Bay, had a Pelagos, had a 2500 Planet Ocean.

I certainly thought the PO was a wonderful watch. As was the Pelagos. As is the Black Bay.

Can’t speak for a Sub, but of the 3 I’ve had....they’re all different watches with different feels. This Black Bay I have currently will likely stick around a while. Think it’s a matter of taste and fit. Pelagos felt really, really big. PO never felt that big, but was also only on the stock strap, rather than a NATO, which is how I often wore the Pelagos. PO also felt more dressy while Pelagos more rugged. BB? In the middle. Maybe. I don’t know yet. Let me get back to you on that. Polished surfaces and such.

I think that one up by the Subs is a 45mm. Mine was a 42.
Appreciate the info. I'm a big fan of my BB. Haven't tried the Pelagos yet. Sounds the PO would be less of a risk than the Pelagos as far as bumping up a bit in size.
Old 24 April 2020, 10:08 AM   #8
tomf1994
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Seems like I definitely need to give it a look. Hopefully I can try some on when this is all over. Is there any real advantage to the titanium over steel on some of the models? Just curious, because Rolex and Tudors don't use titanium that I've seen.
Fyi, the Pelagos is titanium.

tomf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 10:18 AM   #9
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Oh, worth mentioning - I’m a mechanic and have worn all three on the job. The BB is the only one I’ve worn and not been concerned about, neither getting in the way nor being damaged.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 10:39 AM   #10
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomf1994 View Post
Fyi, the Pelagos is titanium.

Ah got you
Old 24 April 2020, 10:40 AM   #11
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Oh, worth mentioning - I’m a mechanic and have worn all three on the job. The BB is the only one I’ve worn and not been concerned about, neither getting in the way nor being damaged.
Good to know. BB wearing very well for me right now
Old 24 April 2020, 09:30 PM   #12
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I had an Omega 2531.80 and sold it before getting my Explorer. I would like to add a dive watch to my collection again and the Omega was fantastic

The new omegas are not really for me but check out the 2531.80. It will always be a classic

https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...-300m-2531-80/
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 10:24 PM   #13
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

The omega is an abomination. Looks cheap and too big

The Pelagos (LHD), if you want a very capable diver, is where to start

Otherwise, the BB58 is a beautiful piece on bracelet.

Do yourself a favour, if you want a real diver, get a 90s 16600. The watch I fell in love with
Old 24 April 2020, 10:57 PM   #14
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
I guess it's hard to get positive recommendations on an Omega on a Rolex forum....

I love Rolex but I'm no Rolex fanboy, I have 2 Tudor in the collection at the moment (Pelagos and Black Shield) and also 2 Omega (2004 Broad Arrow and 2018 release SMP300) in conjunction with a Sub.

Each watch has its attributes that made me buy it:

Pelagos- The blue is stunning.
Black Shield- Tough as nails being ceramic.
Broad Arrow- Classic Off white dial with stunning blue hands and hour markers
SMP- So understated when on rubber but the AR coating on the crystal lets you see directly in the ceramic dial, so nice to be able to see the finish on the dial.

I wont go into which is better quality as they are all at differing price points.

Jenni Elle hit the nail on the head with her recent video (I felt smug cause I own all 3 she recommended and way before her video )

Take a look, it may explain it with less bias than here on the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpaALwPUmyI&t=698s

Here are mine:

Old 24 April 2020, 11:09 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I have a sub, a SD43, Pelagos, and a BB...all ll the divers I could ever possibly want or need.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 11:52 PM   #16
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
I guess it's hard to get positive recommendations on an Omega on a Rolex forum....

I love Rolex but I'm no Rolex fanboy, I have 2 Tudor in the collection at the moment (Pelagos and Black Shield) and also 2 Omega (2004 Broad Arrow and 2018 release SMP300) in conjunction with a Sub.

Each watch has its attributes that made me buy it:

Pelagos- The blue is stunning.
Black Shield- Tough as nails being ceramic.
Broad Arrow- Classic Off white dial with stunning blue hands and hour markers
SMP- So understated when on rubber but the AR coating on the crystal lets you see directly in the ceramic dial, so nice to be able to see the finish on the dial.

I wont go into which is better quality as they are all at differing price points.

Jenni Elle hit the nail on the head with her recent video (I felt smug cause I own all 3 she recommended and way before her video )

Take a look, it may explain it with less bias than here on the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpaALwPUmyI&t=698s

Here are mine:

Thanks for sharing that video. Really making me want that vintage-looking Seamaster 300. Love the movement and quick adjust and finish. Only thing that concerns me a bit is the polished center links. I see a lot of comments on here about the oyster Batmans from people who didn't like the polished links.
Old 25 April 2020, 04:41 AM   #17
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
The Omegas are good watches, most will agree that Omega is equal to Rolex in quality and capability, but too many models, too many special editions etc. etc.

I personally don’t like the styling on the Seamaster Pro, but I somehow really like the new James Bond titanium Seamaster with the mesh bracelet. I love the style of the vintage looking Seamaster 300, but don’t love it on my wrist. I love everything about the Planet Ocean series, I own a chronograph version. They are big though.

If you like any of these watches, they are well worth a go, and can be bad at a discount at ADs or on the grey market.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:21 PM   #18
Pongster
"TRF" Member

The comparables for me

Oyster Perpetual: Seamaster 1948
Datejust: AquaTerra
Submariner: Seamaster Professional/Seamaster Divers 300M: Black Bay
SeaDweller: Planet Ocean: Pelagos
Deepsea SeaDweller: PloProf
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:09 PM   #19
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
The comparables for me

Oyster Perpetual: Seamaster 1948
Datejust: AquaTerra
Submariner: Seamaster Professional/Seamaster Divers 300M: Black Bay
SeaDweller: Planet Ocean: Pelagos
Deepsea SeaDweller: PloProf
Thanks, this is kind of along the lines of what I was thinking after reviewing all the models. Been really drawn to a couple of the 42mm POs with the 8500 movement. After falling in love with Rolex and Tudor, that last thing I need is to fall for another brand, but I think it's happening with Omega too. So many great pieces out there.
Old 25 April 2020, 11:11 PM   #20
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

Omega watches to me are equally good. However, Rolex has mastered the art of marketing and inventory control. Lately, most of Rolex models produced are conservative and evolutionary. To Rolex, revolutionary would be something like the green crystal Milgauss. Moreover, there are no 10 different special editions each year like Omega seems to do.

I do own few Omega watches, however I always gravitate towards Rolex. To me, their timeless vibe attracts me more.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:22 PM   #21
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post
Omega watches to me are equally good. However, Rolex has mastered the art of marketing and inventory control. Lately, most of Rolex models produced are conservative and evolutionary. To Rolex, revolutionary would be something like the green crystal Milgauss. Moreover, there are no 10 different special editions each year like Omega seems to do.

I do own few Omega watches, however I always gravitate towards Rolex. To me, their timeless vibe attracts me more.
Thanks for sharing your Omegas. Those are some great looking watches.

I hear you though - hard to think of anything topping my Rolex for me personally, but starting to really appreciate some of the Tudors and Omegas out there. There's a lot more variety and I kind of like reviewing all the different references, comparing specs and reading reviews. Nice thing about a Rolex is that for the most part you know exactly what you're getting without having to dig to far - i.e., a Sub's a Sub (referring to the current model), you can get one with a date and one without and that's it. I do often find myself attracted to a little flare that you can find in Tudor and Omega variations. For example, the blue bezel on the Tudor BB and the orange 6, 9, and 12 on the PO8500.
Old 25 April 2020, 11:31 PM   #22
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Out of the extremely qualified divers on the list my only experience with is the Pelagos. Blown away by the engineering, design, & comfort. The clasp is a technical marvel, the lumed ceramic bezel is a stunner, and the blue just takes it over the top.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290372_1024.jpg (270.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290377_1024.jpg (242.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290374_1024.jpg (217.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290386_1024.jpg (218.5 KB, 185 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:37 PM   #23
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Out of the extremely qualified divers on the list my only experience with is the Pelagos. Blown away by the engineering, design, & comfort. The clasp is a technical marvel, the lumed ceramic bezel is a stunner, and the blue just takes it over the top.
dP
This is a stunning watch and great pics. That blue is incredible. I need to try one of these on when the ADs open back up.
Old 25 April 2020, 11:52 PM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
This is a stunning watch and great pics. That blue is incredible. I need to try one of these on when the ADs open back up.
Thank you, sir! Yes you do.

When I first tried one on I thought the edges of the links were too sharp, worried that might not be comfortable. But the links are hinged at both ends [unlike any other Tudor or Rolex bracelets], allowing them to more easily contour to the wrist. That, coupled w/ the lightweight Ti, make the Pelagos melt onto the wrist. Easy to forget you're wearing a watch.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 02:04 AM   #25
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Thank you, sir! Yes you do.

When I first tried one on I thought the edges of the links were too sharp, worried that might not be comfortable. But the links are hinged at both ends [unlike any other Tudor or Rolex bracelets], allowing them to more easily contour to the wrist. That, coupled w/ the lightweight Ti, make the Pelagos melt onto the wrist. Easy to forget you're wearing a watch.
dP
That does sound like a great feature. I've never tried on a titanium watch to get the feel of it, so I'm looking forward to trying this one on.
Old 26 April 2020, 03:13 AM   #26
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I own all three brands, including DSSD, PO and Pelagos.

Omega makes very solid watches. If you are looking for a tool / diver, I think Seiko, Tudor and a few more affordable brands make solid tools more than capable of any task and still be aesthetically pleasing. My Pelagos is blue and I love it.

If you are looking for a lifestyle piece, to fit more than one purpose, Omega and Rolex make some of the best watches for the $.

I am in a Rolex state of mind, so my next watch is probably going to be a Rolex. YMMV.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 03:40 AM   #27
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I own all three brands, including DSSD, PO and Pelagos.

Omega makes very solid watches. If you are looking for a tool / diver, I think Seiko, Tudor and a few more affordable brands make solid tools more than capable of any task and still be aesthetically pleasing. My Pelagos is blue and I love it.

If you are looking for a lifestyle piece, to fit more than one purpose, Omega and Rolex make some of the best watches for the $.

I am in a Rolex state of mind, so my next watch is probably going to be a Rolex. YMMV.
Thanks for the insight. I'll admit that I'm less of a functionality/tool watch guy then looking for something that looks good (to me), fits well, and has durability and a great movement. I mostly just love the look of divers more than the functionality.

Now that I've done some more research, I kind of like the idea of having one watch from each of Rolex, Tudor, and Omega. I picked up the Rolex and Tudor I really wanted, and now I'm loving the look and specs of some of the POs (plus I think it might be nice to get a little bit bigger watch in my arsenal to change it up). Also loving the look and specs of the Pelagos and the Tudor BB Bronze (both blue Bucherer and slate grey versions), though, so I need to check out these references. Tudor might be my favorite brand overall in terms of designs, actually. I just love the variety while still maintaining a consistent aesthetic that's on par with Rolex IMO. Omega has some references that look stunning to me and some that leave me shaking my head a bit.

My wife's getting a headache with all the references from different brands I keep falling in love with haha.
Old 26 April 2020, 03:48 AM   #28
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
The omega is an abomination. Looks cheap and too big

The Pelagos (LHD), if you want a very capable diver, is where to start

Otherwise, the BB58 is a beautiful piece on bracelet.

Do yourself a favour, if you want a real diver, get a 90s 16600. The watch I fell in love with
The 16600 is awesome. (As are the others, but always worth highlighting the virtue of the 16600)
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 03:51 AM   #29
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Nothing wrong with the Omega line(s), I still have a 2531.80, it’s a classic. And the Tudors are great too.

Relatively speaking, all of these watches will do what you want/need as divers, to me it comes down to what speaks to you, what feels best - and in that there are some slight differences of course.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote