The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 March 2024, 02:21 AM   #121
thughes
"TRF" Member

So glad you got your watch Dave. In the words of Jimmy V in his speech at the 1993 ESPY's "Don't give up. Don't ever give up". I keep a copy of it framed in my shop!
thughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 05:44 AM   #122
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Congrats on the watch, excellent choice! enjoy the shit out of it!
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 06:19 AM   #123
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Beautiful watch. I hope you get to personally give it to your first born whenever he or she graduates college. Continued best of health.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 06:25 AM   #124
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

39 Treatments!
Happy to see you fulfilled a dream, and are fighting to endure.

Great choice. Wear it, and enjoy the smile it brings when you look at it on your wrist.
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 06:54 AM   #125
dawiyo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo View Post
39 Treatments!
Happy to see you fulfilled a dream, and are fighting to endure.

Great choice. Wear it, and enjoy the smile it brings when you look at it on your wrist.

That’s just 39 chemo infusions. That doesn’t count the countless chemo pills in fact, here’s my full story in case anyone would like to hear.

Like I stated in the original post, I was diagnosed in Nov 2021. I thought I had appendicitis, but it turned out to be a massive 9” tumor surrounding my appendix and colon surrounding my appendix. After a colonoscopy, I was scheduled for surgery a week later. But the very next day, my appendix burst and all of that nastiness went into my colon and through a laceration from the colonoscopy, found its way into my abdomen. I went septic and had to be rushed from the ER at my local hospital to a much larger hospital that could handle that level of surgery. That night they did a right hemicolectomy and removed 1/3 of my colon.

The focus now shifted to treating the majority of the metastatic cancer in my liver. After I recovered from surgery, I did 8 rounds of FOLFOXIRI chemo to no avail, but no growth either. They said the chemo was doing more bad than good, so they had me do three Y-90 radiation treatments. This is where they go up through your groin and stick radioactive beads in the bloodstream near problems spots in the liver. I was then put on maintenance chemo pills for a couple of months, again with no improvement. I had a spleen ablation surgery to which I almost bled out internally the next day. That wasn't fun. I had also developed a wicked umbilical hernia from the surgery incision that has now grown to be around 14" in diameter and 5" protruding when it's angry haha. I’m still dealing with a lot of pain from that every day. At the same time, I also started developing A LOT of ascites in my abdomen. Growing cancer “sweats” fluid, which pools in the abdomen.

I had reached the end point of standard cancer treatments. My oncologist then told me there's pretty much nothing more they can do, except join a clinical trial, and luckily, he knew the top doc at a large clinical research center close to me. I started on a clinical trial that ended up reducing my "tumor burden" by 73%! During the trial, I had 15 paracentesis procedures to drain the ascites from my abdomen, and in total, I had 53.77 liters of fluid removed. My belly looks like I've been hit with birdshot a few times from all of the paracentesis pokes. However, after 5 months, my body started to resist the clinical trial chemo and the cancer had started to grow back. Leaving that trial was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do because it was helping so much. 73% is unheard of.

In order to keep the cancer at bay, I decided to go back on to the nasty kitchen sink chemo i have first went on after the surgery for what ended up being 10 rounds. And just two weeks ago, I got enrolled in another immunotherapy clinical trial at the same place as before. So far so good, but we’ll know for certain after a CT scan in 4 weeks.
dawiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 01:29 PM   #126
Malalam-A-Dagat
"TRF" Member

Most probably don’t know what to say and neither do I. Thank you for sharing your journey and may a future treatment put it in full and long lasting remission. Will be asking God for his healing and comfort upon you.

Oh yes, and nice watch!!!
Malalam-A-Dagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:10 PM   #127
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
Prayers for you! Sincerely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:45 PM   #128
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Thanks for sharing Dave and congrats on your new watch. So sorry to hear you’re facing these adversities but you’ll be in my thoughts and prayers and if you ever want to vent outside your daily circle my inbox is always open for a PM. Best wishes for continued progress my friend
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 03:31 PM   #129
GoldenSub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16618,126519,16233
Dave you are in the hearts and prayers of our family. Hang in there and know you have an extended family on here as well. Enjoy that Beautiful watch my friend.
GoldenSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:02 AM   #130
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Praying for you hard Dave!

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:09 AM   #131
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear Dave - I can't imagine enduring that much hardship and remaining in good spirits. Wishing you the best in your recovery
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:32 AM   #132
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Great watch and something that you can look at with joy when the battle seems like a long slog. My thoughts are with you and your family.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:47 AM   #133
exRCN
"TRF" Member

F#@K Cancer. Congratulations on your Rolex purchase, Wishing you success with your recovery.
exRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:48 AM   #134
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Hi, Dave,
Your will to live is inspiring. I spent a large part of my nursing career as an oncology RN, so am more familiar than most, with what you are going through. I’d like to ask everyone who reads this thread to say a prayer for Dave and his family every time you glance at your own Rolex on your wrist. Even if we all just glance upwards, and say Dave under our breath, God will know what we’re asking. Prayer really works, and Dave needs a miracle. God bless you, Dave, and you really did choose a beautiful Datejust.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:05 AM   #135
dawiyo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Hi, Dave,
Your will to live is inspiring. I spent a large part of my nursing career as an oncology RN, so am more familiar than most, with what you are going through. I’d like to ask everyone who reads this thread to say a prayer for Dave and his family every time you glance at your own Rolex on your wrist. Even if we all just glance upwards, and say Dave under our breath, God will know what we’re asking. Prayer really works, and Dave needs a miracle. God bless you, Dave, and you really did choose a beautiful Datejust.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Kat! I had no idea you were an oncology RN. You gals and guys are heroes! My reply above with my entire timeline must have sound familiar.

The second clinical trial isn’t going so great. It’s a targeted therapy trial utilizing the EGFRs so my face, head, and chest are covered in the quintessential “chemo rash”. It’s been quite painful and I’ve had to stop twice in one month to let my face recover. I’ve got a CT on Monday so fingers crossed.
Old 22 April 2024, 01:05 AM   #136
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Congrats and thanks for sharing. F cancer I truly hope you beat that thing out and enjoy your watch till very old age.
richardlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:11 AM   #137
dawiyo
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words. They really mean a lot. I’m still fighting this thing. My 3 year old is obsessed with my watch. He asked me “I get a watch like Dada’s one day?” and I’m thinking, buddy, you don’t know it, but you’ll be wearing this exact one some day. I just hope I’m around to give it to him. Maybe then I’ll finally get a Pepsi. Better get on the list now haha

Old 22 April 2024, 01:17 AM   #138
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiyo View Post
This post is a long time coming. I signed up here at TRF 12 years ago researching my first Rolex purchase. But, as all of us know, life gets in the way. Marriage, buying your first home, cars, first child, the watch just kind of goes to the back burner.

However in Nov 2021 at age 36, I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. After almost 2.5 years of treatments, when I finally got a chance to breathe, I decided it’s now or never, but a year long wait list just seemed like a stupid thing to contend with in my position. Who knows how long I even have left. How long would I even have to enjoy it after waiting?

After talking with a friend with a steep purchase history, he and his favorite AD worked to get me the watch I was looking for, quick. In under a week, I got the call and was absolutely shocked. The 1.5 hour drive to the AD was excruciating at times, but I knew it was all worth it.

After a couple of weeks, I’m still in love. It makes me feel good every time I put it on and is a great distraction if just for a moment. I’ve now done 39 rounds of chemo, radiation, and I just started my second clinical trial. It’s ironic the watch world’s phrase is “Wear it in good health”. I don’t have good health, but I’m still going to wear it as long as I can.

I am quite moved by your struggles, perseverance, and positive attitude! And, I am so happy you received your special Rolex. I have always looked at my Rolex as my "life watch." A companion that I have through all of my life's experiences ... and I hope you will have wonderful memories with your "life watch." And may it be on your wrist for many, many years!

But when the day comes (to all of us) when we are no longer sharing our experiences with our "life watch," be happy that it may continue as a "legacy life watch" for your child. And may he always be overwhelmed with affection for his Dad who gave him life and protected him when he looks down at his wrist.
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 02:45 AM   #139
Surge_23
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a beauty! Love it on Jubilee! Stay strong and keep fighting! Best of wishes to you.
Surge_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 02:57 AM   #140
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Thanks for sharing your story of strength, stamina and determination. Your example helps keep in mind what's truly important in life. My prayers go to you, Dave. God bless you, stay strong and enjoy your beautiful DJ for many many years to come.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:39 AM   #141
KenRose
"TRF" Member

Dave that is a beautiful watch! Such a fantastic post! Can't help but thing we are going to be reading your posts for many many years!
KenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:45 AM   #142
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
This post is a long time coming. I signed up here at TRF 12 years ago researching my first Rolex purchase. But, as all of us know, life gets in the way. Marriage, buying your first home, cars, first child, the watch just kind of goes to the back burner.

However in Nov 2021 at age 36, I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. After almost 2.5 years of treatments, when I finally got a chance to breathe, I decided it’s now or never, but a year long wait list just seemed like a stupid thing to contend with in my position. Who knows how long I even have left. How long would I even have to enjoy it after waiting?

After talking with a friend with a steep purchase history, he and his favorite AD worked to get me the watch I was looking for, quick. In under a week, I got the call and was absolutely shocked. The 1.5 hour drive to the AD was excruciating at times, but I knew it was all worth it.

After a couple of weeks, I’m still in love. It makes me feel good every time I put it on and is a great distraction if just for a moment. I’ve now done 39 rounds of chemo, radiation, and I just started my second clinical trial. It’s ironic the watch world’s phrase is “Wear it in good health”. I don’t have good health, but I’m still going to wear it as long as I can.

Congrats on the new piece. Best of luck with the treatment. We are all routing for you. Stay strong.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:47 AM   #143
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Dave -

PLEASE GET WELL SOON!!!!

As my late distant cousin, Leonard Nimoy (Mr. Spock on Star Trek) would always say on screen (and off screen): “May you live long and prosper”……
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 08:54 AM   #144
GBdoc
"TRF" Member

Best wishes and happy you get the chance to enjoy this!
GBdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 09:46 AM   #145
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Dave power the eff on!! You got a lot of folks here pulling for you!

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:42 AM   #146
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congratulations! That’s the best configuration! Praying for you & your family. Cancer sucks, but glad this lifted your spirits & that the AD was able to make this happen for you!
PTCDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:42 AM   #147
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

Very sorry to hear, Dave. I wish you all the best. Stay strong.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:44 AM   #148
sammyboi
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on a beautiful watch. All the best to you and your family
sammyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:51 AM   #149
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Dave, I’m sorry to read about your health woes, which sound horrendous and heartbreaking, but it’s great you’re doing immunotherapy. I hope it works wonders for you, like it did for my father. Congratulations on a beautiful watch, and it’s nice to see your passion already being shared with your son.

Wishing you and your family all the best and many good years ahead together.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:06 PM   #150
Danny271
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your perfect first Rolex! As a fellow young father, I’m cheering you on and praying for you.

Danny271 is offline   Reply With Quote