The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2024, 11:42 PM   #1
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Turned Off By Rolex (Follow Up)

Since my previous post was locked, I figured I would add my follow up comments here. Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in on my previous post with either their thoughts or own experiences at their ADs.

The problem I have with most Rolex ADs is the fact that being a good customer and having passion for the brand is not enough to acquire the hard-to-get pieces. Yes, I get it, demand is sky-high on Rolex and are more accessible with msrp prices. I understand S&D. And yes, some ADs do treat their clients well and that's great for those people. The rest of us do not or get the run around, meanwhile they are selling out the back door to grey dealers which then you see these dealers posting BNIB FS ads.

And yes, if I go to an AP boutique and tell them I want an RO but get offered other pieces to acquire first before getting offered one, then it is what is. But at least I know I have a better chance at acquiring one than a Daytona at an AD. One comment I read was offered a RO within 5 months, so I know it's at least possible. My experience with AP was positive even if I have to wait up to two years because I am assured I will get the watch I want when they only push out 50k watches per year. You can't get that same assurance with Rolex.

Also, you can replace AP with any other brand here. I was only talking about AP because of my recent experience. A lot of brands will take care of you if you become a good customer and support the brand. You don't get that with Rolex or at least that's how I feel at least. I am not trying to bash Rolex watches themselves here, I love the brand and I will continue to have at least my bluesy in my collection.

Thanks for reading
vinny84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:01 AM   #2
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

There's no harm in pursuing other brands, particularly if you feel mistreated by your Rolex AD. Cheers
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:09 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It all depends on the AD and the customer, but in general Rolex demand far outstrips supply and so it goes ….

As above, lots of other brands to explore and where you can readily buy the watches you want at retail or even with a discount.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 12:15 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Look forward to your journey in horology and enjoying many manufacturers. H. Moser is a solid addition, as is Breguet and many others. This is a great time for timepiece lovers.

PS: Tudor has many great timepieces, or go upscale with Armin Strom, Czapek, go custom with Torsi Laine....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:15 AM   #5
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Funny enough, the salesperson at my AD said they get plenty of Rolexes.

But deliveries from other brands are down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:16 AM   #6
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I understand where you are coming from. It is what has prevented me from getting a new Rolex for many years. Do I blame Rolex no do I blame the AD no I just chose to not play. Its not just Rolex the same thing is happening with certain cars. More people are educated on how to buy and have the means to buy them and these companies arent scaling as fast as demand. GL on your watch journey.
richardlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:23 AM   #7
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
The biggest problem I have with Tex at the moment is that Rolex ADs (at least here in the UK) are peddling the myth that all the watches are hard to get.

Yes - the obvious few are in demand (some GMT, Daytona, Subs, certain sky dwellers) but others should be relatively easy to acquire in pretty short order - datejust in most configs, most OP, explorers, Yachtmaster etc etc.

They are not playing by the rules because the rules are what they choose to make them.

It’s probably only a matter of time before most models are in the window again but having never had it so good ADs are clinging on by their fingernails.

Roddypeepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:36 AM   #8
Jasb
"TRF" Member

Talking to my AD and asked about a Pepsi and she said she got 3 all of last year and one panda Daytona. That being said there are 50 plus people wanting those watches a month. Math tells me I ain’t getting one! But I’m not going to take my ball and go home, just roll with it or over spend on grey…is what it is!
Jasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:41 AM   #9
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

When people say demand is high, are we taking into account demand from resellers? What percentage sold from ADs goes straight to grey market? 25%? 50%? I think that’s where people get frustrated. Demand by people wanting to own and keep is far outweighed by resellers. It’s happening in other markets too. But you control where your money goes and if Rolex doesn’t want to take it, another brand gladly will.
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 01:45 AM   #10
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
The biggest problem I have with Tex at the moment is that Rolex ADs (at least here in the UK) are peddling the myth that all the watches are hard to get.

Yes - the obvious few are in demand (some GMT, Daytona, Subs, certain sky dwellers) but others should be relatively easy to acquire in pretty short order - datejust in most configs, most OP, explorers, Yachtmaster etc etc.

They are not playing by the rules because the rules are what they choose to make them.

It’s probably only a matter of time before most models are in the window again but having never had it so good ADs are clinging on by their fingernails.

Indeed! The ADs just don’t want the party to end as they can use it to leverage the sale of other trinkets. Cheers.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 03:11 AM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
meanwhile they are selling out the back door to grey dealers which then you see these dealers posting BNIB FS ads.
Name the ADs? Just one shred of proof would be a public service announcement.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 03:26 AM   #12
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I feel you on this and am growing a bit jaded as well. I don't have the income to be a whale and get all the pieces that I want at retail. I also don't have the income to pay grey prices, or those that I do--I can't bring myself to pay that much over retail for it.
I think higher end brands (namely Rolex, AP, PP) are pushing away a large portion of their potential customer base slowly by allowing the current system to continue. Eventually, I really think it's going to bite them.
On the topic of Rolex, it makes no sense to me why Rolex is okay allowing their reputation to be damaged by the AD practices.
Some would claim it makes you want what you can't have. For me, it is just depressing and makes me want to give up either on Rolex or watches altogether, since Rolex is my favorite brand.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 03:59 AM   #13
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I feel you on this and am growing a bit jaded as well. I don't have the income to be a whale and get all the pieces that I want at retail. I also don't have the income to pay grey prices, or those that I do--I can't bring myself to pay that much over retail for it.
I think higher end brands (namely Rolex, AP, PP) are pushing away a large portion of their potential customer base slowly by allowing the current system to continue. Eventually, I really think it's going to bite them.
On the topic of Rolex, it makes no sense to me why Rolex is okay allowing their reputation to be damaged by the AD practices.
Some would claim it makes you want what you can't have. For me, it is just depressing and makes me want to give up either on Rolex or watches altogether, since Rolex is my favorite brand.

My understanding is that Rolex warns their ADs not to base allocations on jewelry spends. Some of the many ADs who have lost their status lately, may have gotten caught by Rolex violating those warnings.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 04:02 AM   #14
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Being closer to middle class, the waiting game can end up disheartening.

You wait forever for a watch you genuinely think you want, but then if it so happens you don’t bond with it, you’re somewhat stuck. Sell it privately, and the AD may think you’re flipping. Keep it, and you’re stuck with an expensive placeholder.

Either way you’re again back waiting forever for something you really hope you’ll love.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 04:28 AM   #15
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
You’re not the first person to post something like this on TRF and there are probably plenty of folks that agree with you, too. However, the financial and market risks for Rolex are infinitesimally low. They’re not going to be hurt by today’s market forces and the inability for most folks to acquire highly desirable models at an AD. They’re still going to sell every watch they produce.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 04:41 AM   #16
Antwon412
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
I wanted a Rolex ever since I was a kid. I finally am in the position to get one the last few years and I have been waiting on my AD for those years. They don’t really take me seriously it feels. I’ve talked to them multiple times and just no response from them.

They always tried to point me over to the Tudors to buy one of those. I can tell they want me to buy a different watch just to establish a record with them. Buying a different watch just so I can make them feel all fuzzy and happy inside doesn’t sit right with me.

I’m not really looking to buy a hard model to get my opinion. A simple Datejust.

So it looks like I’m gonna have to buy a used one when I really would prefer to buy myself a new one as my very first Rolex
Antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 04:56 AM   #17
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

^^^ And this right here is the problem folks. Tell someone like this they can have their watch in 6 months or whatever if it is truly a S&D thing. Have a real list and work your way through it. Not - "Hey, I know you want this, but buy this instead."
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 05:04 AM   #18
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon412 View Post
I wanted a Rolex ever since I was a kid. I finally am in the position to get one the last few years and I have been waiting on my AD for those years. They don’t really take me seriously it feels. I’ve talked to them multiple times and just no response from them.

They always tried to point me over to the Tudors to buy one of those. I can tell they want me to buy a different watch just to establish a record with them. Buying a different watch just so I can make them feel all fuzzy and happy inside doesn’t sit right with me.

I’m not really looking to buy a hard model to get my opinion. A simple Datejust.

So it looks like I’m gonna have to buy a used one when I really would prefer to buy myself a new one as my very first Rolex

Go to a different AD. A Datejust can even be ordered. Your AD just doesn’t value you. Go elsewhere.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 05:46 AM   #19
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasb View Post
Talking to my AD and asked about a Pepsi and she said she got 3 all of last year and one panda Daytona. That being said there are 50 plus people wanting those watches a month. Math tells me I ain’t getting one! But I’m not going to take my ball and go home, just roll with it or over spend on grey…is what it is!

If this is true, going by that math, one used seller on this forum has 3 years worth of BLROs and Daytonas in stock …

Does every single BLRO and Daytona get flipped?

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 05:53 AM   #20
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Just because grey dealer has a bnib rolex for sale it does not mean that they aquired it from “AD back door “
People flip their watches to grey dealers

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 05:57 AM   #21
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. People used to save up and get a Rolex as a sign they made it and someday pass it down to their kids. But if they are becoming impossible to get without playing games. John Smith who has no idea what they are getting themselves into won’t be the market demographic anymore.
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 06:11 AM   #22
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
My understanding is that Rolex warns their ADs not to base allocations on jewelry spends. Some of the many ADs who have lost their status lately, may have gotten caught by Rolex violating those warnings.

Kat

Ultrajewels with cancun, playa del carmen, cabo san lucas were biggest suppliers to grey market
Their annual “mystique party” in July would have biggest grays bidding offers on bundles to get hot pieces ( i personally was at one and saw $125k hublot purchase to get a green 5711)
Of course party is over with insanity being over but 2020-2022 was astonishing on deals that were happening (you can pay those guys at Moneyback that process tax refunds to give you samples of invoices to get an idea what was happening)

It was not right but life is not fair so… yea (but little children and poor were not being hurt , just people who wanted to spend 10s of thousands to by rolex ,patek at retail)

I can write a book but glad things normalized.

Its a known fact that one big Miami gray got caught by customs through random and super rare secondary inspection under Global Entry program with 53 watches or so. Its public information

Oh, and Rolex and Patek didn’t care obviously
I think only “slap” on the wrist was that only Mexican nationals were allowed to buy now and they would do “background check” lol.
Of course this was just a formality

Now imagine what was happening in middle east, europe, usa… honest ADs were exception rather vice versa

Got little side tracked… but ADs that lost status were little guys.. ultrajewels js biggest AD in Mexico , so no harm to them

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 06:15 AM   #23
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by BETRNSX View Post
I agree. People used to save up and get a Rolex as a sign they made it and someday pass it down to their kids. But if they are becoming impossible to get without playing games. John Smith who has no idea what they are getting themselves into won’t be the market demographic anymore.

Yes the demographic used to be hard working, relatively normal folk who wanted to mark a special occasion.

It will soon be the exclusive domain of celebrities, sports people, business people etc.

And there are millions more of these every year.

Rolex may well love that but actually, I find that to be quite sad.

Still, it is what it is. Plenty of other options out there.

Roddypeepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 06:55 AM   #24
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
Quote:
Go to a different AD. A Datejust can even be ordered. Your AD just doesn’t value you. Go elsewhere.

Kat

I was told a few months ago by an AD I have a spend history they had no Datejusts, didn’t know when they would get them in, yadda yadda. No mention of ordering me one, just “Sorry. We have nothing.” I didn’t ask for anything crazy - a blue dial would have been fine. Nope.
Submariner868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:11 AM   #25
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon412 View Post

I'd recommend you find another AD if possible. A datejust should not be that difficult to procure
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:19 AM   #26
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
They’re still going to sell every watch they produce.
As long as Rolex has the AD distributor system, they will always "sell" every watch produced. For Rolex's part, it gets sold to the AD, and the AD has to accept whatever Rolex chooses to sell them. Now, whether the AD is able to sell it or not could be a different story in the long run.

To Rolex, it doesn't really matter if the watch sells or not at the retail level. If they were concerned about making sure every watch gets sold, they'd focus more on the more widely desirable sports pieces.

What I think Rolex is more concerned about I think is that dealers don't discount a piece to sell it, as that hurts brand value. Eventually, the market may get back to that point for certain pieces, however.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:24 AM   #27
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Since my previous post was locked, I figured I would add my follow up comments here. Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in on my previous post with either their thoughts or own experiences at their ADs.

The problem I have with most Rolex ADs is the fact that being a good customer and having passion for the brand is not enough to acquire the hard-to-get pieces. Yes, I get it, demand is sky-high on Rolex and are more accessible with msrp prices. I understand S&D. And yes, some ADs do treat their clients well and that's great for those people. The rest of us do not or get the run around, meanwhile they are selling out the back door to grey dealers which then you see these dealers posting BNIB FS ads.

And yes, if I go to an AP boutique and tell them I want an RO but get offered other pieces to acquire first before getting offered one, then it is what is. But at least I know I have a better chance at acquiring one than a Daytona at an AD. One comment I read was offered a RO within 5 months, so I know it's at least possible. My experience with AP was positive even if I have to wait up to two years because I am assured I will get the watch I want when they only push out 50k watches per year. You can't get that same assurance with Rolex.

Also, you can replace AP with any other brand here. I was only talking about AP because of my recent experience. A lot of brands will take care of you if you become a good customer and support the brand. You don't get that with Rolex or at least that's how I feel at least. I am not trying to bash Rolex watches themselves here, I love the brand and I will continue to have at least my bluesy in my collection.

Thanks for reading
I'm more specific to certain watches versus brands which makes it easy to avoid having to play into the AD games of becoming a "valued customer." The Daytona was my Rolex grail since the Zenith movements sat in cases at ADs when there was no hype. Easy decision now if you want an 116500 - have to go secondary, price is the price. PP grail is the SS travel time. No choice but secondary as it's also discontinued, price is the price.

Would I throw my name in the hat for a GMT, OF, etc.? Absolutely, but in knowing how this all works, wouldn't expect a call and don't care if I get it or not.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:26 AM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:26 AM   #29
BlueMo
"TRF" Member

There are plenty of fish in the sea, my dear..
BlueMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 07:52 AM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Kat

When you think about what else should an AD base it on. Every AD takes care of its's big spenders.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote