The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6 October 2021, 02:50 AM   #1
illition
"TRF" Member

(1999) 16570 Polar & (1999) 16710 Coke, some observations & differences

Hi all,

I picked up a 1999 16570 Polar today, and now have on hand 2 "Swiss Only" 5 Digit references.

While observing the both of them side by side, I noticed some differences and thought it might be interesting to note some of the points down!

*To note, both watches have been authenticated by an Ex-Rolex technician and known to have all original parts. Other than that, i'm not entirely sure of their history.

1. Laser Etching: The Coke has laser etching on the sapphire crystal but the Polar does not. For the last 3 years owning this piece, I thought that the laser etching was standard but after noticing the Polar was missing the laser etching I did some light research and now find that this might actually be a replacement (authentic) crystal. Does anyone have any insights on this?

2. Polishing: The Coke is much more polished than the Polar. I only noticed this upon comparing them side to side. I think the most noticeable difference for me is the crown guard. On the Polar I can see a very distinct line that runs parallel to the crown (& the rolex signed on the crown).

3. Movements are about the same, and they both run well. Although my Coke is probably due for a service as it's winding is pretty rough. Other than that, if I wear it as an "auto" it runs perfect and has no issues keeping time or holding power reserve.

4. Wearability: They both fit the same although I am a little more cautious when wearing the coke. The bezel is painted aluminum insert and if scratched might be pretty costly or difficult to replace. The coke also stands out a little more and attracts more attention as compared to the Polar which pretty much flies under the radar always.

5. Lume: The lume plots on the Polar seem to be ever so slightly more yellow than on the Coke. The lume on this Polar also seems to be more "yellow" than I remember my old Polar had (although that was Tritium, so that is quite strange). I remember reading online in the past that tritium watches kept in the safe tended to turn more "yellow" and patina more than tritium watches that were constantly exposed to UV - wonder if it's the same for Luminova (which these two have). My Coke sees a lot of light & sunlight on a daily basis - but as far as I know, the Polar has been a safe queen at least for the last 7 months.

All in all, these are both 22 year old watches and are holding up well given their age, and i'm glad to own 2 "Swiss Only" 5 Digit references.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5489.JPG (257.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5490.JPG (270.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5487.JPG (197.3 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5491.JPG (252.1 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5485.JPG (222.3 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5486.JPG (196.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9546.jpg (268.3 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5484.JPG (185.5 KB, 235 views)
illition is offline   Reply With Quote