The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 6 May 2024, 04:57 AM   #61
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe it's because some of you take off your Rolex at night. Oils just oozes to just one side plus the entire watch gets cold. Maybe we should know the night time temps of each person's home who is having problems?

This is why i wear mine 24/7. Just wear and enjoy is my best advice
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 6 May 2024, 04:59 AM   #62
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Well said

It's a put down or downright condecending on a number of levels as if one has some kind of mental or emotional deficiency.
Those that put COSC specs forward as an acceptable standard that anyone that hasn't got any of the above deficiency issues possibly could be able to look at it from another perspective.
What would they say about their COSC watch movement if it was running 20 or 30 seconds or in some cases even more seconds per day slower than the COSC specs and getting progressively worse when they paid serious $s for the watch and they full well know they could've bought a Seiko or some other brand at a similar price point straight out of a jeweller anywhere down the road and at a discount(without the wait list/expression of interest palava) and get better overall performance
We all know now that in some cases the timekeeping can start out just fine and in accordance with reasonable expectations then quite rapidly decline until it falls of a cliff.
If the watch isn’t working right to the point where it bothers me I would send it for service. If it can’t be reasonably corrected then I’d sell or trade it.
Old 6 May 2024, 04:59 AM   #63
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Maybe it's because some of you take off your Rolex at night. Oils just oozes to just one side plus the entire watch gets cold. Maybe we should know the night time temps of each person's home who is having problems?

You think it’s the resting position that might be at fault when it comes to the distribution of oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2024, 05:01 AM   #64
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
I didn't have time to read every single post here, but it does seem to make some sense to me. I know that one of my Rolex is deadly accurate if I wear it all day but will be slow 2 to 3 seconds a day if it stays in my watch box. I do take hot shower with my watch regularly but never kept it in warm water for an extended period of time. Maybe I will give this a try.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
Temperature is a factor in timekeeping.
After all COSC(and others) test parameters are across different temperatures.
The notion that exposing a watch to elevated temps are a remedy for a movement that's in a rapid mechanical decline is interesting.
Even moreso if a positive result is achieved.

I know that mine often run slower if they've been set aside out of harms way in the shade then as the sun shifts to eventually end up seriously baking the watch for a time that it's hard to handle to put back on.
Of course this is probably to be expected as the Hairspring will have become temporarily elongated
Old 6 May 2024, 05:08 AM   #65
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
If the watch isn’t working right to the point where it bothers me I would send it for service. If it can’t be reasonably corrected then I’d sell or trade it.
Fair enough

I imagine it would be very disheartening for someone who has scored their first real Swiss watch and scrimped and saved for and the full wait list experience and all, to be on the recieving end of it in full when it goes south.
We have to acknowledge that it's not such an easy pill to swallow and shrug it off like those of us who have multiple watches to fall back on as if it's just another day in the life.
Old 6 May 2024, 05:16 AM   #66
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is probably where a Timegrapher could give more conclusive readings in that regard but the temp of the Hairspring is probably the key consideration with overnight temps and is an entirely transitional condition.

Besides, the lubes won't likely migrate to any appreciable extent on an assembly that's actually running or rotating continuously, even with regard to the Oscilating weight bearing.
Old 6 May 2024, 05:40 AM   #67
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is probably where a Timegrapher could give more conclusive readings in that regard but the temp of the Hairspring is probably the key consideration with overnight temps and is an entirely transitional condition.

Besides, the lubes won't likely migrate to any appreciable extent on an assembly that's actually running or rotating continuously, even with regard to the Oscilating weight bearing.
IDK dude, I’m still digging my heated watch winder idea.
Old 6 May 2024, 05:45 AM   #68
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Fair enough

I imagine it would be very disheartening for someone who has scored their first real Swiss watch and scrimped and saved for and the full wait list experience and all, to be on the recieving end of it in full when it goes south.
We have to acknowledge that it's not such an easy pill to swallow and shrug it off like those of us who have multiple watches to fall back on as if it's just another day in the life.
Yeah I mean that’s just how it is. My wife bought a Daytona, got it home, and noticed a tiny blip on the crystal (on the inside), so back it went… weeks later she got it back.

People can be mad, I mean I wasn’t happy when my 324 exhibited the sticking date problem, but it’s a hand assembled mechanical device it’s going to have issues.

Like you said, I didn’t care about Porsche keeping my car for 3 weeks to find a crack in the fuel line that made it not start a single time. The reason was, I had a spare car. However a car isn’t like a Rolex in that you don’t actually need a Rolex for anything. It’s a luxury item.
Old 6 May 2024, 06:16 AM   #69
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmahdi View Post

At the end of the day, we are all different. Some don’t care about accuracy at all. Others do. We don’t have agree with each other, but we all should be respectful.
Completely agree.
Old 6 May 2024, 06:23 AM   #70
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
What was the $40 for, if you don't mind my asking?
Unfortunately, my AD sort of shorthanded the receipt. It just states sent to RSC for service. I can’t recall completely the details my SA said unfortunately.

Quote:
Is your watch being serviced by Rolex or by an independent watchmaker?
It went to RSC.
Old 6 May 2024, 06:27 AM   #71
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
IDK dude, I’m still digging my heated watch winder idea.
Lol.
What temp do you propose?

37f might be a good figure to start a heated debate on
Old 6 May 2024, 06:28 AM   #72
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Yeah I mean that’s just how it is. My wife bought a Daytona, got it home, and noticed a tiny blip on the crystal (on the inside), so back it went… weeks later she got it back.

People can be mad, I mean I wasn’t happy when my 324 exhibited the sticking date problem, but it’s a hand assembled mechanical device it’s going to have issues.

Like you said, I didn’t care about Porsche keeping my car for 3 weeks to find a crack in the fuel line that made it not start a single time. The reason was, I had a spare car. However a car isn’t like a Rolex in that you don’t actually need a Rolex for anything. It’s a luxury item.
I concur.
Old 6 May 2024, 01:10 PM   #73
Twisted Vicar
"TRF" Member

Do you submerge the entire watch in hot water, or just the movement?
Old 6 May 2024, 01:17 PM   #74
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Vicar View Post
Do you submerge the entire watch in hot water, or just the movement?

The watch. I never took the movement out the watch.

I want to make it clear that I’m not advocating doing this but for some people like myself it works.

Old 6 May 2024, 04:44 PM   #75
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

A watch maker recently shared his experience working on a 32xx Datejust. The watch was suffering from low amplitude. The movement was cleaned, lubricated and the amplitude went from 240 back up to 285 if I remember correctly. So does seem to be a lubrication issue, as the mainspring was not touched.
Old 6 May 2024, 05:04 PM   #76
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard in SA View Post
A watch maker recently shared his experience working on a 32xx Datejust. The watch was suffering from low amplitude. The movement was cleaned, lubricated and the amplitude went from 240 back up to 285 if I remember correctly. So does seem to be a lubrication issue, as the mainspring was not touched.
It seems like from what I’ve been reading, the main issue with the 32xx movements is how the lubricants are distributed throughout the watch and certain areas of the watch no longer receiving adequate lubricants.
Old 6 May 2024, 08:13 PM   #77
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Or perhaps some of the guys with the 32 movement's should try this specially made Rolex bed, it's made from the finest materials known to man, lined with the finest silk and specially padded with the finest softest Pashmina as not to scratch the extremely delicate 904L SS, now called oystersteel. Plus it has a built in winder to gently rock your Rolex watch to sleep and keep its heart ticking at a constant 28800 BPH. Plus the added feature of thermostatically heat humidity and air conditioned controlled to the COSC standard,to keep oils flowing so you can set to stop watches gaining or loosing these precious seconds out of 86400 in a day, should be better than the hot water stuff. Plus its fully Programmed to lull Rolex watches to sleep when off wrist, with soothing ticking and whale sounds to help it drift into a place of peace and Rolex tranquillity.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 6 May 2024, 08:16 PM   #78
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Or perhaps some of the guys with the 32 movement's should try this specially made Rolex bed, it's made from the finest materials known to man, lined with the finest silk and specially padded with the finest softest Pashmina as not to scratch the extremely delicate 904L SS, now called oystersteel. Plus it has a built in winder to gently rock your Rolex watch to sleep and keep its heart ticking at a constant 28800 BPH. Plus the added feature of thermostatically heat humidity and air conditioned controlled to the COSC standard, so you can set to stop watches gaining or loosing these precious seconds out of 86400 in a day, should be better than the hot water stuff. Plus its fully Programmed to lull Rolex watches to sleep when off wrist, with soothing ticking and whale sounds to help it drift into a place of peace and Rolex tranquillity.
I always knew you were an old softy at heart Peter.

Old 6 May 2024, 08:24 PM   #79
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or perhaps some of the guys with the 32 movement's should try this specially made Rolex bed, it's made from the finest materials known to man, lined with the finest silk and specially padded with the finest softest Pashmina as not to scratch the extremely delicate 904L SS, now called oystersteel. Plus it has a built in winder to gently rock your Rolex watch to sleep and keep its heart ticking at a constant 28800 BPH. Plus the added feature of thermostatically heat humidity and air conditioned controlled to the COSC standard,to keep oils flowing so you can set to stop watches gaining or loosing these precious seconds out of 86400 in a day, should be better than the hot water stuff. Plus its fully Programmed to lull Rolex watches to sleep when off wrist, with soothing ticking and whale sounds to help it drift into a place of peace and Rolex tranquillity.

Seriously, why are you so triggered when anyone brings up anything to do with watch accuracy?

It’s like your pet peeve. I simply don’t get it why it bothers you so much.

And no, you don’t need to remind us for the umpteenth time that there are 86,400 seconds in a day.

Or that we won’t be late for an appointment because the watch is slightly off.

Oh yeah, and that the watch is a marvel in technology.

We get all that.

Some of us are into accuracy.

You’re not.

And that’s life…

Old 6 May 2024, 09:24 PM   #80
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Seriously, why are you so triggered when anyone brings up anything to do with watch accuracy?

It’s like your pet peeve. I simply don’t get it why it bothers you so much.

And no, you don’t need to remind us for the umpteenth time that there are 86,400 seconds in a day.

Or that we won’t be late for an appointment because the watch is slightly off.

Oh yeah, and that the watch is a marvel in technology.

We get all that.

Some of us are into accuracy.

You’re not.

And that’s life…

Your entitled to your opinion as I am with mine, now you have a nice day.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 May 2024, 09:42 PM   #81
crapvegaspodcast
"TRF" Member

This thread is hilarious.
Old 6 May 2024, 11:26 PM   #82
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your entitled to your opinion as I am with mine, now you have a nice day.

I’m all for opinions. I’m not expecting an echo chamber. Differences are cool.

But condescending replies over and over again are not the same thing as expressing opinions.

At any rate, reminding us a *million* times about the 86,400 seconds a day thingy and that we won’t be late for an appointment or how we just stop whining and enjoy this marvel of human ingenuity does get annoying.

That’s my “opinion” too.

And have a nice day!

Old 6 May 2024, 11:51 PM   #83
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I’m all for opinions. I’m not expecting an echo chamber. Differences are cool.

But condescending replies over and over again are not the same thing as expressing opinions.

At any rate, reminding us a *million* times about the 86,400 seconds a day thingy and that we won’t be late for an appointment or how we just stop whining and enjoy this marvel of human ingenuity does get annoying.

That’s my “opinion” too.

And have a nice day!

I will remind you again there are 86400 seconds in a day now you have a nice day again too.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 May 2024, 11:57 PM   #84
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will remind you again there are 86400 seconds in a day now you have a nice day again too.

Awesome and I will remind you again how annoying that is. And have a nice day once again!

Touché…

Closed Thread