The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2023, 02:27 AM   #1
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Another ROO needs to be serviced prematurely . . .

I wore my ROO on Saturday:

My intention was to wear this on Sunday as well. I placed it securely on my wrist and looked down and said to myself, “That’s odd. I know I used the chronograph last night. Did the minute counter not properly reset?”

So, I engaged the chronograph for several minutes:

Then, I stopped it and then hit reset. Everything looks good:

Without engaging the chronograph, I waited a few minutes. Sure enough, the minute counter, which should only run after engaging the chronograph, is running!

I knew about this potential issue from reading about here from other's unfortunate experiences. They have stated it takes approximately four weeks for AP to service and address this discrepancy. However, I was under the impression AP had resolved this with the most recent production batches! I received my ROO on March 10th from the Boston Boutique, which is still undergoing repairs after the recent smash-and-grab incident.

I love this piece! But what a disappointment!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 02:31 AM   #2
8bc8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I wore my ROO on Saturday:

My intention was to wear this on Sunday as well. I placed it securely on my wrist and looked down and said to myself, “That’s odd. I know I used the chronograph last night. Did the minute counter not properly reset?”

So, I engaged the chronograph for several minutes:

Then, I stopped it and then hit reset. Everything looks good:

Without engaging the chronograph, I waited a few minutes. Sure enough, the minute counter, which should only run after engaging the chronograph, is running!

I knew about this potential issue from reading about here from other's unfortunate experiences. They have stated it takes approximately four weeks for AP to service and address this discrepancy. However, I was under the impression AP had resolved this with the most recent production batches! I received my ROO on March 10th from the Boston Boutique, which is still undergoing repairs after the recent smash-and-grab incident.

I love this piece! But what a disappointment!

Sorry to hear… hopefully the folks at AP will get it fixed quickly. FYI I’m guessing only calibres from June and beyond will have the new spring that has fixed this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8bc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 02:46 AM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bc8 View Post
Sorry to hear… hopefully the folks at AP will get it fixed quickly. FYI I’m guessing only calibres from June and beyond will have the new spring that has fixed this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s still slight issues with the ‘fix’.

AP is now working on an additional fix to (hopefully) finally rectify this issue.

This is straight from a source inside AP. Unfortunately it’s not fully fixed yet.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:02 AM   #4
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Just leave the chronograph running as a larger seconds hand or GMT hand for the time being. You’ve got plenty of time to send it in under warranty, might as well wait for the final final fix, and some data points proving it really is the final final fix.
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:17 AM   #5
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the 9 counter issue gang :) I love the ROO taupe such a beauty !
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:13 AM   #6
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyLuck View Post
Welcome to the 9 counter issue gang :) I love the ROO taupe such a beauty !

Jajajajaja. Include me on this gang. ; ) AP fixed this issue in three weeks. It is now working perfectly.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:37 AM   #7
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Can't wait to see people try to defend AP.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:11 AM   #8
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Bottom Line: AP"s are very fragile. Several I've owned have had to be repaired, including some that were brand new. When you buy a 100k watch and have to send it in shortly after purchasing, it definitely sours you on the brand. I've bought 11 brand new from boutiques and 2 pre-owned but probably done with the brand after my brand new QP had to be sent in for repair. When I told the boutique, they said "sorry".
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:35 AM   #9
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Bottom Line: AP"s are very fragile. Several I've owned have had to be repaired, including some that were brand new. When you buy a 100k watch and have to send it in shortly after purchasing, it definitely sours you on the brand. I've bought 11 brand new from boutiques and 2 pre-owned but probably done with the brand after my brand new QP had to be sent in for repair. When I told the boutique, they said "sorry".
I have only had issues with Offshores but my diver has been trouble free, other than the carbon case having an issue but that was not mechanical. No mechanical issues at all. I have also had some mechanical issues with Patek, albeit minor and well taken care of, just like AP. At the end of the day, these are handmade mechanical devices, things happen but its how its handled that matters. If AP is going to fix it, what else are they supposed to do?
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:13 PM   #10
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

It's OK your 30k+ luxury watch has to be sent back to be fixed when you've barely wore it - make perfect sense. Of course it passed the very stringent QA/QC i'm sure. And they're making 1 million watch per year euuuh i mean 40000 watches per year so of course they can be excused to have defects, especially when they have a dedicated team at renaud et papi only making calibers for other brands and the most expensive pieces.

Of course we should all accept that watches that are worth as much as a house sometimes will break down in 2023 when movements from the 90s function with 0 issues. These are hand made (are they really?) so yeah sure you should NOT complain about it and be thankful they sold you a watch
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:23 PM   #11
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
It's OK your 30k+ luxury watch has to be sent back to be fixed when you've barely wore it - make perfect sense. Of course it passed the very stringent QA/QC i'm sure. And they're making 1 million watch per year euuuh i mean 40000 watches per year so of course they can be excused to have defects, especially when they have a dedicated team at renaud et papi only making calibers for other brands and the most expensive pieces.

Of course we should all accept that watches that are worth as much as a house sometimes will break down in 2023 when movements from the 90s function with 0 issues. These are hand made (are they really?) so yeah sure you should NOT complain about it and be thankful they sold you a watch
Some forum members will defend AP and even doubt your stories here. It's funny how crafting your personality around a brand makes you immune to facts and logic.

Anyhow I'm mostly done with AP. It's been 4 weeks almost that my brand new, boutique bought, well cared for 26240 failed the water resistance and I still have no update besides "we will do our best".

I've worn more robust watches since then and they didn't fail me once. I'm too old to babysit glorified jewellery.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:04 PM   #12
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Some forum members will defend AP and even doubt your stories here. It's funny how crafting your personality around a brand makes you immune to facts and logic.
Exactly; true also for Rolex and observable in all Rolex 32xx movement threads on this forum.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:10 PM   #13
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Exactly; true also for Rolex and observable in all Rolex 32xx movement threads on this forum.
Without going into too much details, what issues do the 32xx movements have?
RRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 08:16 PM   #14
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJ View Post
Without going into too much details, what issues do the 32xx movements have?
The key observables of the 32xx movement issues are too low amplitudes after full winding followed, at a later stage, by a significant deterioration of timekeeping.

This is an ongoing issue since the introduction of the new 32xx caliber series in 2015.

I had (and still have) problems with all (3) my 32xx watches, another member with 8/10 watches. There is no evidence for a permanent fix from Rolex SA. The percentage how many watches are affected is unclear.

Here is a long thread about this topic, which collects data and facts.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299
Old 22 August 2023, 09:13 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this happened but AP will fix it. Beautiful watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 09:42 PM   #16
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The key observables of the 32xx movement issues are too low amplitudes after full winding followed, at a later stage, by a significant deterioration of timekeeping.

This is an ongoing issue since the introduction of the new 32xx caliber series in 2015.

I had (and still have) problems with all (3) my 32xx watches, another member with 8/10 watches. There is no evidence for a permanent fix from Rolex SA. The percentage how many watches are affected is unclear.

Here is a long thread about this topic, which collects data and facts.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299
I can excuse watches made in millions. I can't excuse watches made in thousands - not comparable.
Old 22 August 2023, 10:55 PM   #17
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

You seem very angry... lol

Again, I have had issues with PP as well. Both my 5164a and my wife's 7118 suddenly stopped not very long after owning each (6-9 months). It happens and they fixed it, hasn't been an issue since.
Old 23 August 2023, 12:33 AM   #18
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
You seem very angry... lol

Again, I have had issues with PP as well. Both my 5164a and my wife's 7118 suddenly stopped not very long after owning each (6-9 months). It happens and they fixed it, hasn't been an issue since.
Shhhh.....don't tell Doyle, he rules. Knows how it is and AP is the only issue. Not Patek or Rolex...come on now!
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 12:39 AM   #19
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Sent my 5524G back last week after it stopped working after about a year. But since its Patek instead of AP I might see the watch back in 2024. Maybe. I guess it doesn't count unless you start a thread about it though.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 12:42 AM   #20
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Sent my 5524G back last week after it stopped working after about a year. But since its Patek instead of AP I might see the watch back in 2024. Maybe. I guess it doesn't count unless you start a thread about it though.
Haha. My experiences with both have been pretty good, it is what it is. Both were gone for about the same amount of time, think the PP's came back slightly faster but splitting hairs in difference. Both handled it well and none had an issue after, really all I could ask for personally.
Old 23 August 2023, 06:08 AM   #21
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Haha. My experiences with both have been pretty good, it is what it is. Both were gone for about the same amount of time, think the PP's came back slightly faster but splitting hairs in difference. Both handled it well and none had an issue after, really all I could ask for personally.
You must be very lucky. Dealing with Stern many times and just not in same league as Clearwater. I have never waited more than a month on any AP I have sent in. Patek I measure in years not months. Which is the difference for me -- yes APs need to get fixed but how they deal with it is what sets them apart from PP IMO.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 06:21 AM   #22
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
Mine might have the same issue, just talked to Clearwater should be back in 3 weeks.

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 07:02 AM   #23
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can excuse watches made in millions. I can't excuse watches made in thousands - not comparable.
Where is the logic in that?

When watches (from any brand) are outside published and advertised specs - Rolex in this case with -2/+2 sec/day precision and caliber amplitudes above 200 degrees (24 hours after full winding) - why this should depend on production quantity when 32xx Rolex movements demonstrably do not achieve this specific specs?

I don't want to hijack this AP thread and will not argue further.
Old 23 August 2023, 10:04 AM   #24
wb55
"TRF" Member

Mine had the same issue, minute subdial going for 12 mins then stopping. Took me a few weeks to realise it was broken and I wasn’t accidentally starting it.

Seems to be an extremely common fault with the model but fixed relatively easy.
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 02:28 PM   #25
DonLee
"TRF" Member

These stories make me really not want to buy a chronograph RO. Not only have their prices risen a lot. I don’t want to have a troublesome watch
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 03:04 PM   #26
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

No problems with my steel code chrono…got mine in April so before the fix. Did you guys have problems right away? Or after some period of time owning it?
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 04:17 PM   #27
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where is the logic in that?

When watches (from any brand) are outside published and advertised specs - Rolex in this case with -2/+2 sec/day precision and caliber amplitudes above 200 degrees (24 hours after full winding) - why this should depend on production quantity when 32xx Rolex movements demonstrably do not achieve this specific specs?

I don't want to hijack this AP thread and will not argue further.
Easier to control quality when you have less output required, especially that your AP is not "handmade" contrary to popular beliefs.
Movement out of specs I could care less than actual movement / hardware defect. Never had any issues with Breitling, Rolex, Baume et mercier, cartier, iwc, but my 15400sr timing is all over the place.
Old 23 August 2023, 05:03 PM   #28
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I haven’t had any issues with mine either, although it is consistently less accurate than my Rolex. Eventually I’ll consider getting it tweaked so it keeps time better.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 05:45 PM   #29
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Easier to control quality when you have less output required
Exactly, that's why people looking for reliable transport go with Ferrari or Aston Martin, instead of mass-produced trouble makers like Toyota or Honda.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 06:56 PM   #30
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I had the same issue with this caliber but on a 26240 ROC, sent it back, and got it within 2weeks + or so.

The issue came after 8 months of usage.

Worse of all, after receiving it back, and after 4 months of usage, there might be another potential issue arising.

My date has been moving up as though it's about to change during the 6pm period onwards, and will just move back into place after 7pm.
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote