The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 May 2024, 04:02 PM   #1
elau1958
"TRF" Member

Amsterdam International Airport

Had a 3-hour layover in Amsterdam so I went visited various Boutiques in the airport and Rolex was one of them.

Obviously there is nothing but displays in the Boutique and the gentleman told me whenever they send him a watch, it will be gone in less than a minute. What strikes me most is the prices. Not only no sales tax, the gentleman told me the prices are 22% lower than the Boutique outside of the airport. Too bad there was zero inventory, I was hoping to pick up one for the wifey.

They even have a 1908 on display and the price listed is 33K Euro. A Sub is listed 10K Euro.
elau1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 04:09 PM   #2
bibbi
"TRF" Member

There is no sales tax in the European Union. We have VAT instead. And it will be levied on your purchase unless your destination is outside of the EU.

The VAT rate in the Netherlands is 21%. Prices quoted at the airport are inclusive of it. And the price of the Sub ND is around 10k€ including VAT.

So no special pricing at AMS unless you are flying out of the EU.

bibbi
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 04:26 PM   #3
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Rolex boutique at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Departure 2 terminal sells with a 17,4% discount on MSRP for travelers flying outside the EU. The value-added tax is not charged, because that part of the airport is behind the border police and you are there located outside the EU. As a local when I have an outbound EU flight, I always try to check the inventory, never got lucky though. As a non-EU resident, you can get a refund of the paid VAT on items bought within the EU. You collect it at the airport when leaving the EU again. There are companies like Global Blue who provide tax refund services, to help you with the paper work.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:28 PM   #4
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
I’m through there a lot, to the point I know quite well the staff, they do rotate though, and one guy in front of me once got a Bluesy, it’s all luck, I’ve tried asking when their deliveries are but they’re spread out timings ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 01:34 AM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
At those discounts it’s a pity they have nothing to sell
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 01:46 AM   #6
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
I picked up an EXP II from there 2 years ago. VAT free. Just asked specifically for the model and said come back in 15 mins.

Haven’t worn it yet eeek
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 05:26 PM   #7
krounchou
"TRF" Member

I bought a couple of things there. Always nice to benefit from the VAT free rate when no discount are given by ADs
krounchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 10:40 PM   #8
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
I picked up an EXP II from there 2 years ago. VAT free. Just asked specifically for the model and said come back in 15 mins.

Haven’t worn it yet eeek
You bought this watch two years ago and haven't worn it yet? That's too bad...
Old 3 May 2024, 05:50 AM   #9
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I thought I wanted it in my collection but when I got it I realised
I like the BLNR better as a GMT. Haven’t got round to trade/sell just yet.
Old 3 May 2024, 12:32 PM   #10
metallic
"TRF" Member

I was recently at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle. Nice Rolex Boutique with several watches on display. There was not even a salesperson present to show you the exhibition pieces. It was 10 AM.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:02 AM   #11
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
This says a lot about the madness of Rolex market.
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:52 AM   #12
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
This says a lot about the madness of Rolex market.
Not really. I wanted a non dive bezel gmt watch for variation as I already have slate ym40 and sub lv. Unfortunately kinda got buyers remorse because of the size.
Old 5 May 2024, 09:36 AM   #13
Vanyo
"TRF" Member

This is my favorite airport boutique. I’m flying from Schiphol at least once per week. During the last 3 years purchased several watches from there. The sales team knows me very well and knew what I was looking for. When the watches were available, I was asked to wait for 30 minutes and returned back for the purchase. The most remarkable pieces are Explorer II (polar) and 126503 Daytona with black diamond dial. My wife purchased there TT 31 mm LDJ and my colleague bought TT Sub with a blue dial.

All the above is applicable to the non-Schengen boutique. The one which is in the Schengen zone (since 2 weeks closed for reconstruction) usually has nothing except TT DJ.
Vanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 09:58 AM   #14
texan_guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau1958 View Post
Had a 3-hour layover in Amsterdam so I went visited various Boutiques in the airport and Rolex was one of them.

Obviously there is nothing but displays in the Boutique and the gentleman told me whenever they send him a watch, it will be gone in less than a minute. What strikes me most is the prices. Not only no sales tax, the gentleman told me the prices are 22% lower than the Boutique outside of the airport. Too bad there was zero inventory, I was hoping to pick up one for the wifey.

They even have a 1908 on display and the price listed is 33K Euro. A Sub is listed 10K Euro.
Probably a dumb question but would they be able to ship the watch to you once they get it in?
texan_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 07:05 PM   #15
Vanyo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_guy View Post
Probably a dumb question but would they be able to ship the watch to you once they get it in?
No. Neither AD does that.

Rolex in Schiphol is owned by Gassan where I have my purchase history. However, their CRM system is not linked to the one the boutiques outside have. Thus, whatever you buy in the airport is not visible in your purchase history with onshore AD. If you have already bought a number of watches like me, this is not a big deal. If you just start your journey and relations with AD, this is an issue.
Vanyo is offline   Reply With Quote