The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2024, 06:19 AM   #31
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No worries. Just move on to one of our trusted sellers when you are ready.
Old 19 April 2024, 06:24 AM   #32
chalkflewup
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor2000 View Post
85% of my jewelry and watch purchase history just went up in smoke when my AD lost Rolex. I played the game with the hopes of getting the hard to get pieces and I have nothing to show for it. I understand why people buy grey now.

Anybody dealt with this situation? I already have an Explorer II and DJ41. I got a 126710BLNR out of it all, but where do I go from here? Can't really see myself adding another "Walk In" piece. Open to suggestions, but grey seems like the way forward, especially with the market turning.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
If you're unwilling to share the exact AD, region of the US, if in the US?
Old 19 April 2024, 06:27 AM   #33
taylor2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkflewup View Post
If you're unwilling to share the exact AD, region of the US, if in the US?
Springfield.

taylor2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:28 AM   #34
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds frustrating OP - I had a similar situation where the sales associate I dealt with at my AD retired and the customer service has since been mixed.

No harm in visiting your local ADs, particularly if you have any upcoming non-Rolex purchases lined up - but the reality is it's probably looking like grey market is the best option for you...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:36 AM   #35
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Springfield.

From the simpsons ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 06:37 AM   #36
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
85% of my jewelry and watch purchase history just went up in smoke when my AD lost Rolex. I played the game with the hopes of getting the hard to get pieces and I have nothing to show for it. I understand why people buy grey now.

Anybody dealt with this situation? I already have an Explorer II and DJ41. I got a 126710BLNR out of it all, but where do I go from here? Can't really see myself adding another "Walk In" piece. Open to suggestions, but grey seems like the way forward, especially with the market turning.

Happened to me before Covid hit. Fortunately, WOS opened up near me in Jan 2022 and I managed to get an LV Submariner from them that April. Nothing else has come my way but I’m happy for what I did manage to get all these years…
Old 19 April 2024, 07:13 AM   #37
Madman37
"TRF" Member

That’s annoying for you and sorry to hear I suppose it’s a risk you take. I have always gone grey which is annoying but I have no chance getting anything retail.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 07:22 AM   #38
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
where is this?

Quote:

SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 07:23 AM   #39
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Did you find out any reason why they lost Rolex?
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 07:31 AM   #40
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I had an over 25 year relationship with my AD buying literally dozens of Rolex watches from them. They lost Rolex a few years ago and I’ve not been able to get a single reference from any of the 3 ADs I’ve tried to establish a relationship with (over 100 miles away). Even PM references.
I have been a collector and Rolex enthusiast for over 25 years and I’m not a flipper, I feel like I get treated like pretty woman in every AD now.
So frustrating!

Submariner 126619LB + GMT II 126710BLRO + Explorer II 126570 Polar + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar +
Daytona 116500LN (Black) + Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 09:06 AM   #41
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The jewelry was jewelry I would've bought anyway - birthday gifts, anniversary gifts, push presents. I just would've bought it elsewhere if it wasn't for them also selling Rolex.
This is the situation for us. We have always gone to the Rolex AD for other stuff we wanted - providing they were offering good value. They will usually come down to the grey value for brands that trade lower than MSRP. If my AD lost their AD status and I was still waiting for something like a SS Sky Dweller, SS BLRO or LV, my inclination would be to scope out other ADs but expect to get nothing, which would leave me with a simple choice, either forget about it or go grey. If buying pre owned, only you can stipulate where the limit is. We will all draw the line in a different place.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 10:11 AM   #42
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Yikes... that's very often a "death-sentence" for brick and mortar stores... not always, ofc... but often enough. Too bad.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 10:51 AM   #43
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
2018 is when the games with ADs started to happen. Maybe it was a coincidence that at the same time Instagram started allowing videos to be posted and influencers started touting their new Rolex.
At that time, gray market sellers were selling well below MSRP to attract buyers.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 11:58 AM   #44
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I find it hard to go into ADs.

They get watches in every week. I have made my interest known/clear and try to stop by to say hello once in a while. And nothing. Just excuses and lies for years.

Grays on the other hand, are always glad to hear from you, and have plenty of watches to sell you (and are willing to trade to make a deal happen today).

The grey model is much more client friendly.
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:00 PM   #45
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Been there, done that.

Morre Lyons, Gone - D’Amore, Gone - all my spend history, relationships decimated to Tissot and Michel …

Nothing to do ! I tried to rebuild with other AD but they play too much. Sohais & Takuya don’t play any games.
Old 19 April 2024, 12:09 PM   #46
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Yes. Lost 2 of my ADs and the AD in Hawaii I’ve dealt with won’t ship any more.

So I got out of Rolex and moved to Omega. Hope to add more Rolex in the future when references are available in the showrooms
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:11 PM   #47
EndlessEight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Been there, done that.

Morre Lyons, Gone - D’Amore, Gone - all my spend history, relationships decimated to Tissot and Michel …

Nothing to do ! I tried to rebuild with other AD but they play too much. Sohais & Takuya don’t play any games.
Morre was one of mine. Did get a BLRO from them though.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:47 PM   #48
OpenSix
"TRF" Member

That really sucks for the OP. Losing an AD with all the spend history has to be a worst nightmare for many of us here
OpenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 05:27 PM   #49
forg
2024 Pledge Member

Man, that really stings. Gray's been my go-to, and I'm just not up for playing those AD games
forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 08:54 PM   #50
kittansett
"TRF" Member

what state?

Quote:
Springfield.

There are lots of Springfield in the US
kittansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 09:54 PM   #51
77T

I also lost my nearby AD last month.

I also made important purchases.

Maybe 80% of jewelry value over past 10 years.

They were honest about my status.

As my area had increased its "wealth index", my spending had also plateaued - my reason for buying high-end jewelry left for heaven about 7 years ago.

So not as bummed as you felt. But I do have a simple suggestion.

If you plan to re-engage at another AD, make it one of the large chains like WOS or Mayors, etc. That way, at a corporate level, your purchase history isn't lost. Build positive bridges with corporate as well as local AD management. It could reduce your risk exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 09:55 PM   #52
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
I am always mystified when people make these posts and then want to cloak the AD in secrecy- such a strange concept. To me, if you are not going to name them (good, bad or indifferent) don't bother making the post.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 10:19 PM   #53
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sorry but I have no sympathy for anyone willing to play these AD games hopefully to get a mass produced watch.And if everyone stopped playing these so called AD games then perhaps we can get back to normal.
This is the truth...
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 10:35 PM   #54
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have never bought watches or jewelry I didn’t want so I’m not sure I’m in the same situation but my AD used to be able to get me Omega, Patek, and Rolex. Now only Rolex.

With the lost brands I’d just go to a TS here or perhaps Watchbox since I know a SA at Hyde I’d do business with.

When you have a large collection already like I do, for something like Patek I’d mostly be looking at something like a PCC where they generally don’t make sense to buy new anyway unless you’re after even bigger stuff like minute repeaters.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 11:20 PM   #55
Dave O
"TRF" Member

It's kind of a catch 22. Because of all of the flippers, many watches from AD's end up at grey dealers. Maybe if this wasn't the case more watches would be available for us to buy at AD's and they might be a little easier to get with less games.

For the OP. If there are other AD's in your area it won't hurt to visit them and see how you are treated. You never know. You might find another AD that you like better than your previous one.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 11:32 PM   #56
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yep. I found a new AD.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 12:29 AM   #57
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
Can you share the AD? I have been waiting for one of my locals to get the axe- single store, small showroom, non-metro area. Surprised they made it this long, to be honest.
The Brighton AD is now gone.

If My AD closed, I would go to another nearby AD and start over.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 12:58 AM   #58
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
Sounds like you got some nice watches out of it. Maybe just take a break from the watch rat race and enjoy what you have for a bit?
I would have to second this. Why not enjoy what you have or even try something else from Tudor, Omega, etc. My AD lost it's status after a 10 year relationship (just paid retail or less, no jewelry purchase games). I subsequently started out with a couple of other ADs of which one worked out and one fell flat. Personally I'm not a Daytona fan, but I suppose everyone has their own grail. As well I don't like to dance to the current AD games just out of self-respect. It's still a lot of coin for a grey market Daytona, so you have to decide how much you really want it balanced against life's other more important priorities. I believe much of the Rolex mania is social media driven, so beware of the hype. Good luck in your watch hobby.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 12:59 AM   #59
thebusinessend
"TRF" Member

I personally love the AD experience and the visits to me is part of the fun of collecting. Its like a really expensive clubhouse with free* bourbon. Find a new AD and start building a relationship. I assume you will want more jewlery in time. Cant hurt spending your money at that new AD that sells Rolex.
I also enjoy the hunt for watches as I feel instant gratification doesnt work as well for my brain and delayed gratification makes me happier. Also I get to play the guessing game of when or what will show up next. YMMV and I see most of the comments people hate going to the AD and are sour grapes over it. And fwiw I have been buying watches a long time and bought a hulk from an AD new with a discount, they even shipped it to my house. All things that wont happen anymore. I also hate the idea of spending over msrp on something even though I could afford it. You may as well meet a new AD. ask for something then go visit from time to time like you had with the other AD. You can always buy greymarket but ya may get lucky and find a new AD that helps you out.
thebusinessend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 01:06 AM   #60
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

My AD, which I've been dealing with for about 10 years, has become quite a challenge to work with within the last 2 years or so despite my spending a significant amount of money with them over time. Last year, I decided to give another place a go—an independent, long-standing store near where I live. Following my first visit, I was quickly allocated a piece I wanted (DJ41), which was great. I felt like I was getting somewhere.

I found out about a month or so ago that they have lost their Rolex status, so I'm back to square one with my other AD, who seems to have preferences when it comes to selling the hot pieces to the staff's friends. Oh well, back to the grind.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote