The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 May 2024, 06:52 AM   #1
jcnashz
"TRF" Member

Icon5 16760 GMT as a travel / adventure watch

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Ive owned a GMT Master II 16760 Fat Lady for about 3 years now and absolutely love it! Its my birth year watch and Ive been babying it so far, but want to start using it as my travel / adventure watch.

About half my annual travel is for work in major N. American or European cities where I’ll be staying at nice hotels in relatively nice parts of town.

The other half will be for personal travel, some of which may be to major cities and resorts (dinners at nice restaurants, the occasional party, touristing), while the rest will be to wherever the adventure takes me (Thai beaches, African safaris, adventures on the motorbike, exploring the Canadian north or rural India, etc.).

The watch was serviced about 8 years ago, but still keeps perfect time (-1s per day).

Now for the questions:

1. How do the neo-vintage models from the 80’s like the 16760 hold up to this type of use? Ive read conflicting opinions - some say that Rolexes can handle whatever is thrown at them and others say that you cant even swim with a vintage Rolex on without risking it. An option is to pick up a modern Explorer II 226570 for the adventure travel, but Id rather stick to one travel watch than split the memories between two (I know…first world problems!! ). Besides the Explorer II at 42mm pushes the limit on my 6.5in wrist.

2. What about taking the watch into the water? Im not going to be doing any major depth-diving, but hanging out in a pool or in the water on a beach may be on the cards and Id rather not risk theft by taking the watch off my wrist when I enter the water.

3. The watch is currently on a 62510H jubilee bracelet with the pressure fit folding clasp. Ive always felt that this clasp isn’t the most secure, especially for rugged use, but love the jubilee bracelet. Can I fit a submariner style oyster lock clasp (e.g., from a 93150 submariner bracelet) to the 62510H? Any other options to make the jubilee bracelet more secure on the wrist?

Appreciate any and all thoughts and opinions, for or against, to help me think this through.
jcnashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 11:44 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1. The risk of a watch that is expensive or impossible to be recreated is not that it is any more fragile than a new one, or that it is any less able to take the abuse that it did when new; it's all about accepting risk should it happen.

2. Again, it's going to be as waterproof as it was when new unless there is serious corrosion at the caseback. A presser test will tell you if it is waterproof, but that test is only good at that moment; seals can fail at any time for any watch. If you are comfortable with its integrity and accept that it could fail like any other watch could, go for it. I swim and snorkel with a 16700 of around the same age and think nothing of it.

3. No, Jubilee and Oyster bracelets are different and clasps don't interchange without a good metalworker making the adjustments. If you want you can put the entire Oyster bracelet on it for when you plan water activities.
Old 14 May 2024, 11:09 AM   #3
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
i have the same watch (1987) and have used it for virtually anything you can imagine with no ill effects - with this caveat: if you plan on diving with it get it to a watchmaker that deals with Rolex and have the seals checked annually - ive had mine recreationally diving many times down to 90'. Make sure you have the crown tightly screwed down:-)

Word of warning - i went 19 yrs between services (first one was at 16yrs) and just got it back from the watchmaker, kept perfect time but was dry as a bone, Im not in the "every 5 yrs" camp but the gears and pinions do get excessive wear when you follow my example - I think every 10 yrs is probably good but do get a pressure test and gaskets checked every year if diving it.
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 03:03 PM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don’t see why you shouldn’t use it for any technical reason and enjoy it during your travels.
Wearing your Rolex anywhere is part of the fun of ownership. Leaving it at home not so much.

It may be wise to do a waterproof test before swimming with it and the clasp on the bracelet can be tightened so it doesn’t become undone.

Have fun making memories
Old 14 May 2024, 03:39 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Basically it sounds like you’d be using it for what it was made to do. As mentioned just to be on the safe side get it pressure tested and it should be fine. They are great watches so why not wear it more and enjoy it.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 03:01 PM   #6
jcnashz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. The risk of a watch that is expensive or impossible to be recreated is not that it is any more fragile than a new one, or that it is any less able to take the abuse that it did when new; it's all about accepting risk should it happen.

2. Again, it's going to be as waterproof as it was when new unless there is serious corrosion at the caseback. A presser test will tell you if it is waterproof, but that test is only good at that moment; seals can fail at any time for any watch. If you are comfortable with its integrity and accept that it could fail like any other watch could, go for it. I swim and snorkel with a 16700 of around the same age and think nothing of it.

3. No, Jubilee and Oyster bracelets are different and clasps don't interchange without a good metalworker making the adjustments. If you want you can put the entire Oyster bracelet on it for when you plan water activities.
Thanks for the input!

There isn't any corrosion anywhere on the watch - in fact its in pretty good contain for a 40 year old piece, so should be OK. I might look at picking up a 93150 bracelet for the more adventurous type travel.
Old 15 May 2024, 03:03 PM   #7
jcnashz
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the opinions and feedback all.

Glad to hear that others are using their Rolexes from the same era as their adventure / activity watches as well. Gives me a lot of confidence.

I think Im going to get it pressure tested once a year and start using it the way Ive described in my original post.
Old 15 May 2024, 03:05 PM   #8
jcnashz
"TRF" Member

Also any recommendations for pressure testing at home??

Ive seen the "wet" testers with the crank to pressurize the chamber, but I don't think Id be comfortable with submerging my watch in water on purpose to test it at home.

Any other home based solutions or is taking it to a reputable watchmaker the best option?

Thanks much!
Old 15 May 2024, 06:48 PM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
As long as you follow the correct procedure it’s all good. I bought the Bergeon one just for fun and it is a nice gadget.
It works good and even a watch more than two decades without a service didn’t fail the test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (127.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (164.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 16 May 2024, 12:16 PM   #10
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Life is short wear the watch you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 12:18 PM   #11
jcnashz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Life is short wear the watch you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed!
Old 17 May 2024, 04:33 AM   #12
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
if you know for a fact youre going to have it in the ocean and or adventure setting where the watch would be lost if a springbar fails id put it on a nato for that outing, that way if something happens to the spring bars (ONE) the watch will stay on your wrist. I have never had one go but came damned close whilst snorkeling in Maui - failed spring bar, I just happened to look at my wrist as the bracelet was letting go - in about 60' of water - it would have been gone. It was my 16760
gates is offline   Reply With Quote