The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 September 2023, 05:00 AM   #61
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Haha!

Wouldn't it be a, Wolwo?
No, it would be a Cholcho.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 11:43 AM   #62
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
So, I bought a new car. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
A millennial anti theft device.

Often repeated but not quite true.

Many millennials are very capable of driving a manual car. Especially outside the USA where often that is the cheaper option as a vehicle. Or where family vehicles are more religiously maintained and passed down from generation to generation.

A large majority of current F1, Formula D, WRC drivers fall into the category of gen x and millennials.

Not sure about the generations after though. Most of my nephews and nieces could care less about learning to drive and are excited about being driven by automated cars.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 12:09 PM   #63
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Often repeated but not quite true.

Many millennials are very capable of driving a manual car. Especially outside the USA where often that is the cheaper option as a vehicle. Or where family vehicles are more religiously maintained and passed down from generation to generation.

A large majority of current F1, Formula D, WRC drivers fall into the category of gen x and millennials.

Not sure about the generations after though. Most of my nephews and nieces could care less about learning to drive and are excited about being driven by automated cars.
I think I’m considered a millennial.
6 speed 3 pedals all day baby. Nothing like nailing a heal-to downshift or ripping that perfect redline 1-2 shift.

With that said, I don't currently own any manual car and unfortunately don’t have any plans to add one to the garage. Not many newer manual cars out there anyway…and come to think of it, only a handful of my friends have owned and can drive stick…so yes it is absolutely going the way of the dinosaurs. But man, for those who lived with one, I think we all have a special place in our hearts for manual gearboxes.
The real “hill to die on” is the ICE car. Hybrid is one thing but it’ll be a sad lonely day when gas engines are no more.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 12:33 PM   #64
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
So, I bought a new car. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiat0r View Post
I think I’m considered a millennial.
6 speed 3 pedals all day baby. Nothing like nailing a heal-to downshift or ripping that perfect redline 1-2 shift.

With that said, I don't currently own any manual car and unfortunately don’t have any plans to add one to the garage. Not many newer manual cars out there anyway…and come to think of it, only a handful of my friends have owned and can drive stick…so yes it is absolutely going the way of the dinosaurs. But man, for those who lived with one, I think we all have a special place in our hearts for manual gearboxes.
The real “hill to die on” is the ICE car. Hybrid is one thing but it’ll be a sad lonely day when gas engines are no more.

Don’t forget clutch kicks

Will admit most kids who can drive a manual likely wouldn’t know or be able to perform those maneuvers anyway. Hell they don’t even downshift properly. I typically see them neutral or ride whatever gear they’re on to a stop.

Can’t blame you for not having a manual car these days. There aren’t a whole lot of modern manual cars out there either. Even fewer are worth price and drive like OP’s new car

I still keep a Japanese manual car in the stable because they’re relatively cheap for something to break down and build back up. But I know for a fact that there are millennials out there who can easily steal the car
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 01:51 PM   #65
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
That's a great looking car, congratulations!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 12:56 AM   #66
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have a friend with a C6 Corvette Z0-6 and that Cadillac. It’s an amazing car. Apparently there’s a CTS-V driving experience too. He did both of them, the one for the Corvette and one for the Cadillac. It sounds like a ton of fun!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2023, 10:01 PM   #67
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
I have a friend with a C6 Corvette Z0-6 and that Cadillac. It’s an amazing car. Apparently there’s a CTS-V driving experience too. He did both of them, the one for the Corvette and one for the Cadillac. It sounds like a ton of fun!
Yeah, I did that (Spring Mountain, NV) with the C7 Corvette, and I plan to go for the Caddy. It's a nice facility and I had a great time.

Full disclosure: I did not do the standard Corvette event, rather I took the cost of that and applied it to the advanced school. I am, in my mind, an advanced driver.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 08:00 AM   #68
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Don’t forget clutch kicks

Will admit most kids who can drive a manual likely wouldn’t know or be able to perform those maneuvers anyway. Hell they don’t even downshift properly. I typically see them neutral or ride whatever gear they’re on to a stop.

Can’t blame you for not having a manual car these days. There aren’t a whole lot of modern manual cars out there either. Even fewer are worth price and drive like OP’s new car

I still keep a Japanese manual car in the stable because they’re relatively cheap for something to break down and build back up. But I know for a fact that there are millennials out there who can easily steal the car
This hurts whenever I see it. I spend most of my time on the road on two wheels & I'll come across a newer/stupider/un(der)-trained rider who coasts with the clutch in coming to a stop. What a terrible habit.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 11:47 PM   #69
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I have car OCD, and according to my spreadsheet (yes, I had to put all 63 of them in a spreadsheet) I keep them an average of 20 months.

After reading reviews and watching videos, of which all of them, 100% are positive, I started my search. Like most highly coveted high performance cars, these are in short supply, and most dealers are charging over MSRP and used ones are demanding a premium, so it was a bit of a challenge, but I finally found one. And bought it. And I love it.

It is a Cadillac (stop laughing) CT5-V (I can still hear you) Blackwing. For those of you who don't know what that is, they took the old man sedan and put in a modified C7 Corvette Z06 supercharged LT4 engine in it, along with the Magnaride suspension and all of the other optional extras as standard and produced this remarkable car. I got one with a manual transmission.

I've only had it for two weeks, but I am really enjoying it. I'm still in the break-in period, but you can tell that the power is just insane. Also insane is a car that will outperform a BMW M5 on the track (according to many reviews including this one which is very entertaining) but rides worlds better, very comfortable and relatively quiet largely due to the active noise cancellation. With high performance Michelin PS4S tires, there is a lot of road noise on bad pavement, but the engine, shifter, clutch, brakes and the steering are all worlds better than the BMW M4 that preceded it in my rotating fleet.

So, I'm having fun. Felt like sharing.

I got it in black so that it would coordinate with my Submariner. LOL
Very nice, but my OCD dictates that I point out you suffer from Car ADHD and not Car OCD.
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 12:10 AM   #70
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Congrats OP! They are only going to become more popular, especially in Europe once the Andretti F1 team is announced which will wear the Cadillac livery.
Old 7 October 2023, 02:19 AM   #71
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
that car is one badass motherf***....must be SO fun to drive!
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 04:29 AM   #72
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I have car OCD, and according to my spreadsheet (yes, I had to put all 63 of them in a spreadsheet) I keep them an average of 20 months.

After reading reviews and watching videos, of which all of them, 100% are positive, I started my search. Like most highly coveted high performance cars, these are in short supply, and most dealers are charging over MSRP and used ones are demanding a premium, so it was a bit of a challenge, but I finally found one. And bought it. And I love it.

It is a Cadillac (stop laughing) CT5-V (I can still hear you) Blackwing. For those of you who don't know what that is, they took the old man sedan and put in a modified C7 Corvette Z06 supercharged LT4 engine in it, along with the Magnaride suspension and all of the other optional extras as standard and produced this remarkable car. I got one with a manual transmission.

I've only had it for two weeks, but I am really enjoying it. I'm still in the break-in period, but you can tell that the power is just insane. Also insane is a car that will outperform a BMW M5 on the track (according to many reviews including this one which is very entertaining) but rides worlds better, very comfortable and relatively quiet largely due to the active noise cancellation. With high performance Michelin PS4S tires, there is a lot of road noise on bad pavement, but the engine, shifter, clutch, brakes and the steering are all worlds better than the BMW M4 that preceded it in my rotating fleet.

So, I'm having fun. Felt like sharing.

I got it in black so that it would coordinate with my Submariner. LOL
Awesome choice and something that's been on my radar for a bit of time.

Way more exciting then any of the latest offerings by M/AMG to me, can haul entire family and a 6 speed manual to boot. Priced REASONABLY well and I don't see it depreciating at all in coming up years. Suffice to say probably a VERY sound financial choice overall.

Great taste and sadly (or not!) like you I am affected by same car OCD sickness. Some recent choices have lasted me no more than 4-8 months. As my motto goes ... 'So many cars -- so little time' ..

Share more pics and driving impressions when you can.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 06:12 AM   #73
Omarr
"TRF" Member

Congrats! It doesn’t get much better than a manual sedan!
Omarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 08:36 AM   #74
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I saw one wheeling around the NE suburbs of ATL recently - maybe you?

It’s super nice looking and I love the little nod to the speed racer in all of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 09:34 AM   #75
AlabamaLawyer1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Love it!

DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2023, 10:51 AM   #76
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Very nice, but my OCD dictates that I point out you suffer from Car ADHD and not Car OCD.
LOL, you are correct!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 08:08 AM   #77
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Amazing car. Congratulations on yours new ride. I love Cadillacs as well
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 08:29 AM   #78
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Manual transmission: the ultimate anti-theft system.
Old 6 January 2024, 02:48 AM   #79
DarkPassenger
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the Blackwing club! I have had mine about 14 months. 6MT, carbon backed semi-analine seats, CF1 exterior. I LOVE this car. I had a 22 M4 Comp for a brief period. The car had 0 driving character compared to the Cadillac. It had great materials, top notch build quality, but felt super sterile to drive outside of straight line acceleration. People can laugh all they want at it being a "Cadillac". They have no idea what they are missing. The driving dynamics are superb, you feel one with the car.

Have you been to Spring Mountain yet? I have been twice (once to drive a 4, once to drive a 5, both 6MT). I have never tracked a car outside of these 2 experiences. Learned a ton, and you really have no idea how great both Blackwings are until you track them. Highly recommended!
DarkPassenger is offline   Reply With Quote