The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 January 2024, 08:33 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
One can’t buy a watch “on TRF”. One can buy a watch from a seller who happens to post on TRF.

Absolutely no one gets scammed “on TRF”. People unfortunately get scammed by scammers.
Exactly.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 09:03 AM   #32
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
What I can't understand is, why they don't use Paypal, or C24 escrow service for such huge amount of money? Transfer money to an unknown person's bank account is worse then "playin' solitare till dawn with a deck of fifty one"...
It's because they are mainly focused on getting what they think is a deal, so don't want to pay 2% or whatever the up charge is for Paypal or an escrow service.
Old 5 January 2024, 10:04 PM   #33
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Yes.

From the Ferengi Rules of Aquisition #10: "Greed is eternal."
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:15 PM   #34
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Don’t take candy from or send money to strangers. Unless of course you’re buying a four to five figure luxury watch, sight unseen, from someone you’ve never held a real conversation with, and know absolutely nothing about them except what they told you on an Internet forum. Then sending money to complete strangers shouldn’t ever be a problem. On the impossibly rare chance that would be a problem it’s totally rational to blame the forum even after they warn you not to trust strangers.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 01:32 AM   #35
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Sold my Ferrari just last week to a guy who gave me thousands over asking, with his second-party bank draft, who only asked that I float him a few hundred extra to buy dinner, since he was short on cash when his cousin came to pick it up.
Ah yes, the check with 'extra' funds that they want back / transferred to them. Was one of the very early folks on the Internet to experience this situation during a sale of goods back in the 1990s. The weird thing is, back then I had to 'educate' the banking institution about it and had to nearly 'demand' asking for their fraud department. The thing is, the check was actually 'good'(!) funds-wise, yet was fraudulent and not from the account owner. And yes, it was over the asking price and they wanted the extra funds to be sent to....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 01:38 AM   #36
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
One can’t buy a watch “on TRF”. One can buy a watch from a seller who happens to post on TRF.

Absolutely no one gets scammed “on TRF”. People unfortunately get scammed by scammers.
Well said, my friend. If anyone gets scammed, it is their own doing. TRF has no skin in the game. Sales are strictly between the sellers and buyers.
Old 6 January 2024, 01:44 AM   #37
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I have bought and sold many times direct with individuals. Never had an issue, just have to use your head and if something seems off, walk.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 06:37 AM   #38
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Just because someone is a long-time member here doesn’t mean you won’t get taken. There’s numerous stickied threads here on TRF outlining the importance of doing due-diligence with respect to vetting sellers and following proper sales protocols.

These days I prefer the larger dealer groups like those (not going to name drop here) on FB and telegram, as well as local enthusiast groups. Do your research and always ask for fresh references.

It’s still a game of trust, unfortunately, but this is the way when it comes to watches and jewellery.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 11:09 PM   #39
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xky View Post
That’s my advice after reading at least 2 people in what I think might be 2 of the past months where 2 people have been scammed for buying watches on TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve never had an issue on here buying or selling anything. The key is to do your due diligence on not only the seller but also what you are buying. I’m willing to share my place of employment, drivers license, face time, etc and be as transparent as possible when selling or buying anything. There are a lot of good people on here that just buy and sell watches/parts as a hobby and are not Trusted Sellers that do it for a living.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:03 AM   #40
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Correct.
And, if it seems too good to be true, it is.

Pay for certainty and integrity. It’s worth it.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:42 AM   #41
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I’ve only bought one watch over the internet. It was with a trusted seller, and even then I negotiated that he take a credit card payment. Talking to people helps.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote