The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 15 May 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
rscott4079

Recent Thread

I recently discovered his forum and having been enjoying it very much. However, I was disturbed by the tenor of a recent thread in the Watch Out section and feel I must comment on it. A member (wrongly) criticized one of the Mods for an action against another member and was publicly taken to task for it. The thread degenerated into name calling, with the harshest language coming from the Moderator. His replies were deeply personal, and obviously intended to embarrass and humiliate the member before the rest of the members of the forum. I can only describe it as bullying. I was stunned. The thread could have easily been closed and the conversation taken off-line, but instead ran for several pages of these very angry exchanges. Finally the member posted an obscene photo and was banned and the thread closed.

I assumed the rule against personal attacks applied to all members, and that moderators were charged with seeing those rules followed. Certainly they shouldn’t be blatantly participating in violating those same rules. I understand the the role of moderator is a difficult one, and sometimes a member needs to be put in check, however I felt this was over the top. It was a disappointing moment in what has otherwise been a very pleasant forum to read.

Thank you for letting me speak my peace.

Rich
rscott4079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. While the moderator may have been a little rough on the individual, I do not think the moderator was out of line. I believe that the individual who was banned, would have eventually gotten to that point anyway. He seemed to take a stance that I would consider grating and not necessarily contributory to a thread or topic. The guy took the noose and hung himself. All he had to do was move on. Besides, I don't know about you, but I too would get a little uppity if you thought you knew more about my profession than I did and you weren't even remotely in a related field.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Scott,

Many things take place behind the scenes that you and I, the mere mortals , are not aware of. I would just leave it at that. The Mods do make an example of jacka**es, I have no problem with that. If you were to walk into a club and act foolish, the bouncer would drag you out and most likely, not in the most polite manner. Apply that to TRF, replace 'bouncer' with 'mod' and there you have it.

Besides, they're 'MODS', not 'MOMS', I believe babying the derelicts is not in their job description.

Hope you continue enjoying your time here on TRF!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Edmond Dantes
Banned

Watch: Submariner Date
Scott,

I thought the same thing on a couple of threads shortly after I got here. I kinda stuck up for the guys that got banned before their actual banning, but it turned out they were trolls after all. One was talking about himself in the 3rd person which was really hilarious, and I think the other one was some type of seller of fake stuff, or had a retail operation of some type going.

In any case, I got into it with the same mod I believe you are talking about. As I do believe these situations can be handled different. It appears to me that the mod in question likes to drag these things out for the value of self-entertainment. I am a mod on another board, where there is a moderator's section, so I don't buy the "behind the scenes" excuses that I have heard before when questions like yours are raised.

Nevertheless, this is a private board and they can run it as they wish. I do get useful information from the site, and there are a few kindred spirits here, so that makes the participation worth it IMO.
Edmond Dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
......I am a mod on another board, where there is a moderator's section, so I don't buy the "behind the scenes" excuses that I have heard before when questions like yours are raised.....
That's interesting, looks like you are calling me a liar.

I request that you spell out exactly what you are saying with proof to back it up or I assure you, I will not make this a drawn out process for you.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Scott,

I thought the same thing on a couple of threads shortly after I got here. I kinda stuck up for the guys that got banned before their actual banning, but it turned out they were trolls after all. One was talking about himself in the 3rd person which was really hilarious, and I think the other one was some type of seller of fake stuff, or had a retail operation of some type going.

In any case, I got into it with the same mod I believe you are talking about. As I do believe these situations can be handled different. It appears to me that the mod in question likes to drag these things out for the value of self-entertainment. I am a mod on another board, where there is a moderator's section, so I don't buy the "behind the scenes" excuses that I have heard before when questions like yours are raised.

Nevertheless, this is a private board and they can run it as they wish. I do get useful information from the site, and there are a few kindred spirits here, so that makes the participation worth it IMO.

I am glad you aren't buying it, cause I ain't selling it. It is a fact. The mod you're referring to has unorthodox ways, true. Having said that, it is, indeed, entertaining (to more people than just him, mind you), and it decreases the amount of junk on this board. So, what's wrong with that? People decide to speak out of their arse and they are reprimanded for it. Sounds like common sense to me.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 17 May 2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Rich, I can certainly appreciate you view of the thread in question. I'm not sure if you got my Little Bill Daggett reference in that thread, but it in fact acknowledges that your assessment isn't far off the mark.

There's no denying that I took the banned member all the way downtown, and was the intention shortly after the start. The reason for this is simple.

In an earlier altercation, the member had announced that he would be stepping back from the thread instead of continuing the argument. At that juncture he had already given me grounds to issue him with six infraction points, but I stayed that decision since he decided to let the matter drop. Mind you, this was AFTER he had failed to read the reason why the other member had been banned, AFTER it had been pointed out to him by both moderators and members that he'd completely misunderstood the situation, and AFTER he'd come back and did the whole childish Freudian displacement thing.

Disappointingly, after a week the member reneged and decided to sneak back and start the fight again. If he thought that he could try a "death by a thousand cuts" strategy to sneak off and come back to snipe some more later, he was sadly mistaken and I made sure I got that point through clearly. That's the bullying you saw.

There is one angle that you may have missed. Yes, it could have been taken offline. Yes, it could have been done quietly. No, it wasn't done that way. And yes, that was done on purpose.

We had a member here who waded in guns-a-blazing and then had too fragile of an ego to get with the program when other members set him straight. Instead he took it upon himself to be the de facto moderator, then snuck off only to sneak back with more nonsense. This is not the kind of member we have here, this is not the behaviour countenanced on this forum, this is entirely against the code of conduct that makes the forum what it is, and a very public announcement was made of the aforementioned points. Now it got your attention, and although the point may not be obvious to you, members like Greg do get it and tell us that they get it.

You're entitled to still perceive my actions as bullying. However, I do such things for a reason, so please don't be disappointed if no change results from your raising the issue.
Old 17 May 2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It appears to me that the mod in question likes to drag these things out for the value of self-entertainment. I am a mod on another board, where there is a moderator's section, so I don't buy the "behind the scenes" excuses that I have heard before when questions like yours are raised.
You really want to pick this up again, Dantes?

Come on. Say yes. Please say yes.

By the way, I'm sure your claims of being a mod somewhere out there might impress some noob - good for you. However, for all I know your forum could consist of five members wringing their hands over people dipping biscuits in their tea, so you'll pardon me if I don't acknowledge your moderating expertise without having it first been demonstrated that you know how a forum like TRF runs.
Old 17 May 2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Mosco
"TRF" Member

James, careful, you'll be accused of being a bully again... Not that you give a flying squirrel!

Old 17 May 2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
James, careful, you'll be accused of being a bully again... Not that you give a flying squirrel!
Greg, by the time I'm done, the characteristics taking centre stage won't be mine.
Old 17 May 2009, 01:48 PM   #11
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Greg, by the time I'm done, the characteristics taking centre stage won't be mine.
Damn, James - I am almost tempted to PM Dantes and tell him you said something about his mama, just to watch the show unravel!

Old 17 May 2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Nah, save your breath. It looks like the red rag was waved long before I turned up here anyway.
Old 17 May 2009, 03:11 PM   #13
rscott4079

Quote:
You're entitled to still perceive my actions as bullying. However, I do such things for a reason, so please don't be disappointed if no change results from your raising the issue.
I had a concern I felt needed to be raised, and I appreciate the fact that you responded to it.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 17 May 2009, 11:00 PM   #14
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes
Okay, thanks for the warning. I will be more careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x
Dear Edmond Dantes,

You have received an infraction at Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum.

Reason: Provocative behaviour towards Mod/Admin
-------
You need to respond and back up your assertion.
-------

This infraction is worth 6 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=1169587
Quote:
Scott,

All the best,
Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum
Since I posted my request for your to explain yourself earlier today you have logged on twice and made several other posts.

You have one final opportunity to explain yourself.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Steve, if I may. Dantes has a tendency to stir the pot with unfounded claims, and then paint himself as a victim to worm his way out of his lies: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...t=60056&page=2

I'll leave it to you to decide if someone so lacking in integrity and character really has any place amongst the good members here. I would vote no.
Old 18 May 2009, 12:43 AM   #16
Mosco
"TRF" Member

James,

Have you thought about venturing into hip-hop? You're so good with words - now all you need is drop some dope rhymes!

Thanks for linking to that thread, Mosco found that thread very amusing!

Cheers, mate! Keep up the good work, other fora could learn something!

Old 18 May 2009, 03:00 AM   #17
Edmond Dantes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Since I posted my request for your to explain yourself earlier today you have logged on twice and made several other posts.

You have one final opportunity to explain yourself.
What are you looking for in terms of an explanation? I'll be glad to discuss.
Old 18 May 2009, 03:05 AM   #18
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Read my signature. He tells you in this thread exactly what he's looking for.

FcB
Old 18 May 2009, 03:22 AM   #19
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you don't mind, please tell me what exactly you are 'not buying' when it comes to the 'behind the scenes statement' I made above? Do you honestly think we see everything that happens with the 'undesirables'?

Old 18 May 2009, 03:26 AM   #20
Edmond Dantes
Banned

Quote:
If you don't mind, please tell me what exactly you are 'not buying' when it comes to the 'behind the scenes statement' I made above? Do you honestly think we see everything that happens with the 'undesirables'?
Okay, if that's the statement that requires an explanation, then I apologize for making it. It was mere hyperbole.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 18 May 2009, 03:32 AM   #21
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay, if that's the statement that requires an explanation, then I apologize for making it. It was mere hyperbole.

Cheers,

Mike
I think it goes beyond "mere hyperbole". You claim that you're a mod on another forum, and then make statements such as the one that was highlighted by Steve? Now you're backing down. I would say that you are merely speaking out from the wrong part of your anatomy, and I would even go as far as to suggest that you're on the verge of being a troll.

FcB
Old 18 May 2009, 03:56 AM   #22
rscott4079

Quote:
I think it goes beyond "mere hyperbole". You claim that you're a mod on another forum, and then make statements such as the one that was highlighted by Steve? Now you're backing down. I would say that you are merely speaking out from the wrong part of your anatomy, and I would even go as far as to suggest that you're on the verge of being a troll.
Amazing. I make a thread about a lack of civility, and it becomes uncivil. A member comments about it and the moderators begin the attack. The other members smell blood in the water and the sharks start to swirl.

I'm sorry I ever found this unhappy place.
Old 18 May 2009, 04:04 AM   #23
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott4079 View Post
Amazing. I make a thread about a lack of civility, and it becomes uncivil. A member comments about it and the moderators begin the attack. The other members smell blood in the water and the sharks start to swirl.

I am sorry that you feel this way. This place tends to be really fantastic, and I find that it still is. The big issue is that the person that is being "attacked" has a history of rabble rousing in such a short span of being a member.

And in all honesty, the poser you're referring to did 'attack' first, if you can even call it that.

FcB
Old 18 May 2009, 04:04 AM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Now that's a statement to which I would take very strong objection, buddy!!

This is the happiest forum on planet earth. The love, sincerity and honesty that prevails on this forum does not even exist anywhere else.

Even though most of us have never even met each other, we feel like we've known each other for several years.

Lighten up, my friend......just get in with the crowd and you will notice an amazing change in people's attitude toward you.

This is the BEST forum anywhere on the internet.....bar none.

It's the amazing members who make it all up......just go with the flow.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 04:51 AM   #25
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I am sorry you did too.
As it appears, you're still logged in... Why?
All I did was respond to your OP, and a member basically called me a BS'er. Them when called out, he said it was a 'mere hyperbole'. That was the EXACT behavior which Gedanken said this guy had a history of. Stir up and then back up with that gosh-golly-gee-whiz face. Real man-like, let me tell ya.

Old 18 May 2009, 04:56 AM   #26
Edmond Dantes
Banned

Quote:
...Real man-like, let me tell ya.
So would you rather me just drag out the argument, especially when I am threatened with banning? It has nothing to do with being man-like. As for my history, my history was simply the same concern that was raised by the OP. Now I have made my apology on this subject, and on this subject I am good for only one apology. Hopefully the mods consider the matter closed, and now so do I.
Old 18 May 2009, 05:05 AM   #27
Edmond Dantes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
That's interesting, looks like you are calling me a liar.

I request that you spell out exactly what you are saying with proof to back it up or I assure you, I will not make this a drawn out process for you.
Okay, I just saw this reply after re-reading the thread. Again, same apology for talking in hyperbole. No I am not calling you a liar.
Old 18 May 2009, 05:19 AM   #28
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Now that's a statement to which I would take very strong objection, buddy!!

This is the happiest forum on planet earth. The love, sincerity and honesty that prevails on this forum does not even exist anywhere else.

Even though most of us have never even met each other, we feel like we've known each other for several years.

Lighten up, my friend......just get in with the crowd and you will notice an amazing change in people's attitude toward you.

This is the BEST forum anywhere on the internet.....bar none.

It's the amazing members who make it all up......just go with the flow.

Thanks - JJ
Nice words.

This is getting crazy. I think it's time the membership allowed the administration to deal with matters.

Just my 2p.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 05:57 AM   #29
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Guys, there are kids reading on this forum. Set a good example please!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 06:20 AM   #30
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Steve, if I may. Dantes has a tendency to stir the pot with unfounded claims, and then paint himself as a victim to worm his way out of his lies: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...t=60056&page=2

I'll leave it to you to decide if someone so lacking in integrity and character really has any place amongst the good members here. I would vote no.
Good members?

Let's see... Mosco, JJ, Jocke, whathisname1957, Lisa, myself....

...where exactly are these good members?

ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote