The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27 April 2024, 12:11 PM   #1
blackscout
"TRF" Member

Need guidance with Rolex 1680

Hello All. I recently received a Rolex Submariner 1680 that was purchased new in 1979. The watch is completely original and has never been opened. The watch is in good condition overall but it does have a couple issues that I need assistance with.

The first issue is the chapter ring is off and it does not click into place. I have the original ring missing the pearl and unfortunately it has small damage where it looks like the pearl was damaged. I have a new replacement chapter ring but I don’t know where it came from. This is a difficult issue for me as I do not know what to do or how to fix this issue. The new chapter ring does not snap into place either.

The second issue is the original clasp is broken. On on of the clasp pieces the barrel on the end ( the one with two barrels on either side) is broken off. I have been told conflicting stories about this. One I can buy a new clasp from Rolex, 2 I could buy a new bracelet ( not sure how that even works with a 44 yr old watch).

The main issue for me is that the family member I received the watch from never sent it to Rolex
1 because for the first 40 yrs it never needed anything.
2 because as of the last number of years he was afraid that if he sent it in someone would switch the original movement out and that Rolex would change out parts.

As a result he got a new bracket that is not stamped rolex and I have the original bracelet in a ziplock.

As a result of all of this I was given the watch at a fair but costly amount.
I would like the opinions of those experienced in such things. All I really want is the watch repaired to it original condition. Also note that the watch still works fine and keeps excellent time.

Also of note I have the original box and receipt from 1979. I do not have “papers” as none were provided by the Original AD. I assure you I asked an if there were any other papers provided with the watch they would have been kept with the watch, box, manual and receipt that I have ( he is that kind of guy).

I really want to maintain the originality of the watch and the collectable value.
blackscout is offline   Reply With Quote