The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2024, 09:39 PM   #1
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @kuwaitinglist
WIS wedding rings?

Hello everyone,

I’ve been happily married for 20 years, never really wore a wedding ring but became interested the past few years. Wore my Tiffany Roman numerals silver wedding ring and lost it within a couple of months. I want to buy a replacement but not sure what to buy. The Tiffany ring was silver and I didn’t like the patina it developed. I also don’t wear gold so I am thinking platinum. So far the finalists are the Cartier love in plantinum and a plain Tiffany platinum (staying within the same brand as the original). Any advice? Any watch brands make rings too? Something else I should know? I really like the brushed platinum Tiffany but not happy with the diamond.

Thank you

SEVENFRIDAY
MYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:41 PM   #2
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

I had a Tiffany platinum before. Weight was heavy which is nice if you like that. I now have a titanium one from David Yurman. Check out that brand, some cool designs.
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:43 PM   #3
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETRNSX View Post
I had a Tiffany platinum before. Weight was heavy which is nice if you like that. I now have a titanium one from David Yurman. Check out that brand, some cool designs.

Thank you. Titanium also nice. Any photos/link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SEVENFRIDAY
Old 20 April 2024, 09:55 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Since my Wellendorff (actual wedding ring) is a bit small as i gained weight, in the meantime we went with the TIF silver. It doesn't tarnish much, which i know is your concern, plus silver is very easy to clean. For me it is more about comfort, and the TIF is very comfortable to wear and the weight is very reasonable too imho. You may want to reconsider silver imho.

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/ring...ring-GRP05652/
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 09:55 PM   #5
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

I have a plain streamline band 6mm

https://www.davidyurman.com/mens/rings/band-rings.html
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:01 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve worn a platinum wedding band since the beginning. If you don’t like patina, you won’t like platinum

They look great from new or polished, but within a few weeks it takes on an almost cloudy appearance

Edit: to be clear, I like the patina
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2024, 10:39 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have been married for more than thirty years and have several wedding rings. I wore and expensive YG one to the wedding and after for years. Then transitioned over to silver metal and bought several less expensive metal versions and like them better. My wife has several Cartier bands and goes between those and some custom ones.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:39 AM   #8
swils8610

I wear a heavy comfort fit 6mm platinum band and really like it. If you want something that stays shiny it’s not platinum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 03:06 AM   #9
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
David Yurman has a lot of modern and very striking rings from wedding to pinky. Maybe check them out if you have a chance. I think David and his son have a really strong pulse on modern design that fits a lot of generational taste.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 04:11 AM   #10
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I prefer Cartier.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 05:03 AM   #11
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Thank you. Titanium also nice. Any photos/link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends on the grade of titanium. Some titanium tarnishes (as does platinum and tungsten carbide).

Do you not wear yellow gold or is all gold off the table? White gold may be an option if you can wear gold alloys.

Omega sells Seamaster themed rings in stainless and black ceramic.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 05:21 AM   #12
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I prefer Cartier.
Same
Old 21 April 2024, 05:32 AM   #13
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Since my Wellendorff (actual wedding ring) is a bit small as i gained weight, in the meantime we went with the TIF silver. It doesn't tarnish much, which i know is your concern, plus silver is very easy to clean. For me it is more about comfort, and the TIF is very comfortable to wear and the weight is very reasonable too imho. You may want to reconsider silver imho.

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/ring...ring-GRP05652/
Looks great, but maybe a little too thick for my taste. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETRNSX View Post

Will check them out, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve worn a platinum wedding band since the beginning. If you don’t like patina, you won’t like platinum

They look great from new or polished, but within a few weeks it takes on an almost cloudy appearance

Edit: to be clear, I like the patina
I am fine with Patina but it's the silver patina that did not appeal to me for some reason. I think I will be fine with Platinum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have been married for more than thirty years and have several wedding rings. I wore and expensive YG one to the wedding and after for years. Then transitioned over to silver metal and bought several less expensive metal versions and like them better. My wife has several Cartier bands and goes between those and some custom ones.
Congratulations on pushing 30+, wishing you many happy years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I wear a heavy comfort fit 6mm platinum band and really like it. If you want something that stays shiny it’s not platinum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's fine, I actually loved a matte, almost brushed titanium from Tiffany but it had a diamond and I would rather get one without any diamonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
David Yurman has a lot of modern and very striking rings from wedding to pinky. Maybe check them out if you have a chance. I think David and his son have a really strong pulse on modern design that fits a lot of generational taste.
thanks, will have to check them out as I heard multiple several feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I prefer Cartier.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
It depends on the grade of titanium. Some titanium tarnishes (as does platinum and tungsten carbide).

Do you not wear yellow gold or is it any gold is off the table? White gold may be an option if you can wear gold alloys.
All gold off the table unfortunately.

Thank you all, didn't expect this much feedback!

Will check out all the suggestions and revert.
SEVENFRIDAY
Old 21 April 2024, 08:57 AM   #14
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Go for the Wellendorff. I have about 6 of them but for a wedding ring I wear the spinning gold band.

If you don’t wear YG they make a bunch of rings in WG. I have some of those but most I ordered and had them make in YG.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 11:03 AM   #15
hartsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1 224270
Another endorsement for David Yurman!
hartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:15 PM   #16
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
This is what I wear. 3mm width. I don't evern know it's there. I actually have two of them as they're so inexpensive. One is 1/2 size larger than the other, one is a summer ring, the other a winter ring.

https://www.titaniumstyle.com/jewelry/2-004G.html
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:50 PM   #17
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
My wife has a Cartier love ring she’s dailyed in addition to her wedding set and it’s held up well over the years. Haven’t gotten a matching men’s one yet but been impressed with Cartier and their service.

A couple years ago she slipped and fell on ice in Tahoe, and we took the ring in to a Cartier boutique (not even the one we bought it from). Met with the manager, he was super accommodating and sent it right off for repairs with the expectation that it may cost some money. They fixed it quickly and good as new, and the repairs were less expensive than originally quoted. Top notch service and one of the things that will keep us going back to them for other jewelry in the future.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #18
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Any watch brands make rings too? Something else I should know? I really like the brushed platinum Tiffany but not happy with the diamond.
Since you mentioned watch brands, I know Piaget makes rings. I'm not really a fan of their jewelry designs, but naturally that's purely subjective.

Regarding platinum, the width (and thus indirectly, how much your finger skin "protects" it on the palm side) may affect how quickly it patinas. My original wedding band was 6mm, and it got a patina within just a few months. After losing a bunch of weight, I got another platinum ring in a smaller diameter and a 4mm width, and over a year later, there is still barely a patina on it. If patina is appealing, a wider band might help achieve it faster. YMMV.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote