The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 May 2024, 05:10 PM   #31
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
AirKing is a great way to start ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 07:55 PM   #32
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I'm sure he'll be thrilled with either one. I'd go with the OP.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 09:22 PM   #33
elgordomac
"TRF" Member

the OP is beautiful, but I would let him pick - looking at them together is part of the fun
elgordomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 09:27 PM   #34
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Rolex is a major purchase, and unless he specifically asked for the OP or the Air King, I would involve him in the decision-making process. If what he wants exceeds the budget, suggest he pay the difference. My dad was a big proponent of this approach, and I am too.
X2

The last thing I’d do is try to pick a watch for someone else, but YMMV
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 09:55 PM   #35
elgordomac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP
First, congrats on the graduation of your son. You must be very proud of him.
I recommend not to go grey, you are getting a pre-owned piece and getting ripped off!
There has to be a few AD’s in your neck of the woods. Don’t call but go in, find out who controls the allocation of the Rolex watches and tell them your story (son’s graduation). Many AD’s like to sell a watch to someone for a special event, and this is one of them. You may get very lucky and walk out with a watch, brand new, with all the goodies. If not, stay in touch with them and if your son’s graduation and the receipt of the watch do not coincide, tell your son you are working on his gift and it takes a little time. I am sure he will understand.
I really like this advice. I've just done the same with my son for his 21st this coming August. The AD was great, I knew they wouldn't have stock but she put him through the whole experience trying different things, looking at the colours etc before he settled on an OP. My son understands that the watch may or may not be available by August but thats ok. And you're right the AD said she will do everything she can to get it in time, which I believe.
elgordomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 11:53 PM   #36
phobby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
What about an Explorer?
Explorer 2! It is the best under the radar watch with all brushed finish and in my 20s I traveled a lot. I couldn’t afford an Explorer 2 or GMT then but would have cherished having one.
phobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 12:29 AM   #37
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Don't spoil your kid, let him earn his
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 12:57 AM   #38
chet
"TRF" Member

Got my daughter a 31mm DJ (oyster steel and WG) with a pink face. Her graduation is this June. Her choice.

My son was deciding between a Sub and a GMT. I subtly nudged him to the GMT and will be placing an order for a batman in the next few months. He graduates in a couple of years.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 01:10 AM   #39
SilverKast
"TRF" Member

Watch: always one more...
I have the previous model Submariner which I decided to gift my son as he graduates university this year. I had the caseback engraved for him as well, I thought it would be nice to gift something that I had owned and worn for a number of years as something he'd like for future years as a keepsake. He also worked really hard and put himself through school by working and paying all his own tuition and other university costs, so I'm pretty proud he was able to do so on his own.

Helps that I have a number of other watches to occupy myself with as well.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 01:56 AM   #40
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
New OP. 6K. 5 year warranty. Take him to AD and look at them and start that conversation and he will get what color he wants.
This is the right answer.

Unless he's specifically mentioned a model/reference that's no longer produced, going for a new, base Oyster Perpetual would function as a fantastic "first Rolex" for a young graduate.
Old 8 May 2024, 02:21 AM   #41
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnyc718 View Post
He should save and buy his own rolex.
+1
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:12 AM   #42
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
I’d actually say get him a black bay 58 or a 54. He’ll probably like the look of the watch better, and if anything, will encourage him to continue working towards a Rolex one day.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:14 AM   #43
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I have the previous model Submariner which I decided to gift my son as he graduates university this year. I had the caseback engraved for him as well, I thought it would be nice to gift something that I had owned and worn for a number of years as something he'd like for future years as a keepsake. He also worked really hard and put himself through school by working and paying all his own tuition and other university costs, so I'm pretty proud he was able to do so on his own.

Helps that I have a number of other watches to occupy myself with as well.
Good for him! Thank God for our affordable Canadian tuition though! Wish my dad had gotten me a Rolex! Cheap bugger!!!

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:36 AM   #44
lbflynn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16013
Thanks all! I appreciate all the feedback. I loved the idea of a surprise but looping him in makes sense as its something he will be wearing for a long time. And I'll give him my budget and he can earn (and should) earn anything over that.
lbflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:50 AM   #45
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP
First, congrats on the graduation of your son. You must be very proud of him.
I recommend not to go grey, you are getting a pre-owned piece and getting ripped off!
There has to be a few AD’s in your neck of the woods. Don’t call but go in, find out who controls the allocation of the Rolex watches and tell them your story (son’s graduation). Many AD’s like to sell a watch to someone for a special event, and this is one of them. You may get very lucky and walk out with a watch, brand new, with all the goodies. If not, stay in touch with them and if your son’s graduation and the receipt of the watch do not coincide, tell your son you are working on his gift and it takes a little time. I am sure he will understand.
This is sound advice. Definitely best to go with a new piece from the AD, rather than some stranger's watch and who knows what's in it or what's happened to it. This watch is for a major milestone and it should be his story, not someone else's... not unless you were passing down your own to him.

I think an OP should be reasonably attainable at the AD, or maybe a DJ. Even the AK, since that is a model with less demand.
Old 8 May 2024, 09:05 AM   #46
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Air King. All. Day. Long. (If those are choices)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 09:18 AM   #47
dajordan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710ln & 216570
Have you thought about an explorer? Seems date isn’t a priority. I think bang for buck it’s nicer than OP or AK. More youthful and the 39mm is a great size.

I’m also 30 and I can say it would probably fit more with his lifestyle, going out, etc.

Last edited by dajordan; 8 May 2024 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Additional thought.
dajordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 09:41 AM   #48
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t. And here’s why: I’m all for getting a young man a nice watch that he’ll appreciate and to mark an important milestone like that.
I got a nice watch from my parents around that age. They offered me to pick something and, mind you, this was at the tail-end of the Quarz crisis when the Blancpains and Hublots of this world were resurrecting the industry. And this was in Switzerland at the time. That’s how I got my first Omega Speedmaster which was my daily watch for many years. My son now has that one.

Rolex is a different animal. Yes, they’re for watch enthusiasts also. That’s why we’re all here. But they are also recognized by the rest of the world. And that can be a problem depending on circumstances. People will judge you at times. Or let’s say job interview. A young man going for a professional job should show up dressed accordingly and that includes a grown-up mechanical watch. Rolex? Nope. Heck, I don’t wear mine around the office. I still go for a Speedmaster for those circumstances. Nice enough. Rarely anyone knows what it is. Those that do won’t have a problem with it.

And then there is the thing that not every person getting a first decent watch will know how to treat it right. Do you want him to learn by banging up a 10-15k timepiece? And we can talk safety at another time. But that’s a factor too unfortunately.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 09:45 AM   #49
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
My son gets my Omega Seamaster Quartz when he graduates college. He has had his eye on it. My Rolex watches are to be distributed when I no longer exist. I prefer a "handed down" watch to a newly purchased and gifted watch. It makes it that much more special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 09:48 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Neither one. I would let the grad pick the watch out. I do feel like some others and would let him buy the watch he wants himself when he is able.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 03:48 PM   #51
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Rolex is a major purchase, and unless he specifically asked for the OP or the Air King, I would involve him in the decision-making process. If what he wants exceeds the budget, suggest he pay the difference. My dad was a big proponent of this approach, and I am too.
Best advice
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 02:09 AM   #52
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
This is sound advice. Definitely best to go with a new piece from the AD, rather than some stranger's watch and who knows what's in it or what's happened to it. This watch is for a major milestone and it should be his story, not someone else's... not unless you were passing down your own to him.

I think an OP should be reasonably attainable at the AD, or maybe a DJ. Even the AK, since that is a model with less demand.
I agree with these thoughts.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:29 AM   #53
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
New OP 36 or 41 from AD. He can pick the color and size.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:39 AM   #54
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbflynn View Post
Thanks all! I appreciate all the feedback. I loved the idea of a surprise but looping him in makes sense as its something he will be wearing for a long time. And I'll give him my budget and he can earn (and should) earn anything over that.
Since we're all still talking. What is he graduating from, high school or college?
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 06:00 AM   #55
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Get him a modern Rolex.
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote