The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2006, 02:11 AM   #1
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
An audiophiles watch

Not sure if anyone here is interested in this or not. I am also into high end audio and someone started a thread quite a while back about what watch people wear. Quite a bit of Rolex bashing, but also quite a few fans. Fairly lengthy read, more automatic discussion towards the end of the thread.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...me=do=you=wear
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2006, 03:06 AM   #2
----

I admit to not reading any of the threads, however I do consider myself an audiophile. If anyone on that board would argue the value of a high end watch when getting very small incremental improvements in sound quality, that "most" people can't really hear, costs more than a lot of our watches do I would say they are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

We in the watch world have our quirks just like every other group of enthusiasts do.......I guess the typical "this watch is better than that watch" discussion would be equivalent to the debate over say speaker cable and it's affects on sound quality (i.e. if it can't be measured, it doesn't make a difference). For whatever reason (actual or simply my expectations) when I invested in good speaker cables, I could definitely hear a difference, so I guess you know what camp I am in.....
Old 17 January 2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Exactly what I was thinking, Al. If anybody is willing to shell out a couple of grand more for speakers emitting frequencies they haven't been able to hear since their tenth birthday, one would imagine that such a person would understand why an enthusiast would buy a high-end watch.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, but speaking simply as a person who appreciates detail, I do find the art of finding the perfect setup fascinating.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:20 AM   #4
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
My simple Bose speakers sound good to me and we listen to music ALL the time. I have heard Bose get ripped but whatever, I like them and do get compliments on the sound of my system. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2006, 10:30 AM   #5
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Maverick, I have to say, I'm somewhat surprised by your choice of bose. I could go into details at great length, but that would probably bore everyone. The fit is finish is not there, and quite frankly, you can have much better for less money. I might bet the compliments came mostly because of the name?

However, I did not post this to get responses to audio. I do enough of that over at audiogon. I wanted to share another groups perspecitve on watches. I see similarities in both camps. A well setup system is like a dialed in watch that keeps good time. Both are systems. Both allow tweaking, and both are, sometimes, bought simply for the badge.

It's funny. here you get people talking about high end watches that bash high end audio, and there you get people talking about high end audio that bash high end watches. Anyone see the irony?
Old 18 January 2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
You talking about this thread or just the forum in general?
Old 18 January 2006, 10:58 AM   #7
s7horton
"TRF" Member

I guess this thread mostly, although there wasn't much bashing here. This forum doesn't mention audio much... I should have been a little more clear, as I believe that the main audio thread I'm referring to is on a different rolex site.