The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2023, 06:42 AM   #61
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
It may not have been a targeted theft (not saying it wasnt). I caught a kid rifling through golf bags just off the ninth hole turn (typically when we are enjoying a beer and a hot dog). He had, in seconds, gone through 3 bags when I saw and yelled at him….he got away but after checking, luckily no one lost anything meaningful.
There are opportunists everywhere, not just at international tourist traps.

I hope you get your watch back.
Old 13 September 2023, 07:06 AM   #62
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
I never leave my golf bag unattended; especially because one of my watches is also in there. I hope, you´ll get it back.
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 07:10 AM   #63
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Damn, at a golf course smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 07:11 AM   #64
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Sorry to hear that. Already many good suggestions here. If stolen, somebody must've been watching you really close. A person doesn't like to think it, but how well did you know the people in your foursome as they could get close to your clubs easily, whereas a complete stranger would be noticed. Check for any golf course security video. It's amazing how opportunist some thieves are. Hopefully it just fell out of the bag and shows up in lost & found. Good luck in the search.
If security footage is not available. Put another watch in your golf bag and walk away, monitor it from far and see if the SAME theft take the bait.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 07:54 AM   #65
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
I've never had my rolex (either SS or TT models) trip the airport TSA scanner. Belt buckle has, as has a few pieces of wife's jewelry (but not her watch either).
I have two Cartier Love bracelets that always trip the security at airports. Doesn't matter where I'm flying to/from. I just get used to going through the body scanner. This way I don't have to take anything off and have anything go out of my sight.

I used to take my watch off (not a Rolex) while playing tennis and put it in my tennis bag. Thankfully I was on the court with trusted people.

Sorry to hear this OP. I can't imagine.
Old 13 September 2023, 08:50 AM   #66
boltz
Banned

Include the serial number of the watch on the police report as any other unique engravings.
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 12:41 PM   #67
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
There are assholes hiding behind every corner. So sorry to hear this.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 11:48 PM   #68
sofmore
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear, i think you should contact your insurance company.
sofmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 03:25 AM   #69
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohner01 View Post
Was also quoted $180 per watch for an appraisal to share with Insurance. This seems insane to me? Is that market rate?
$180 per watch seems quite high. Through my AD, i'm currently getting all my rolex watches re-appraised (last was 2012) - for $45 each. Then I will update my policy's itemized jewelry list specifying insured value for each. Yeah, insurance will go up as the value of a few have doubled+. But I'll sleep better and feel confident wearing them (in all but the worst situations)
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 07:32 AM   #70
zi464
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that , but you knew you are going to golf and will take off the watch.
Why still wear it
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 02:31 PM   #71
Ladditude
"TRF" Member

Stolen Rolex

I see this is an old post but was randomly searching online for my stolen watch. Same thing happened to me in July of 2022 at the Aliso Viejo Country Club. Brand new James Cameron Deep Sea 126660. Was playing in a charity tournament. Took it off and put it in my bag right before the shotgun start. Didn’t even walk from the cart at the turn, however there were many times we were playing where we had to walk away from the carts on the cart path only holes. I am guessing a maintenance crew member or beverage cart person is quick at checking the “jewelry” pouches of bags. $15k gone. Had not gotten insurance yet. Worst mistake you can make. Hope you get your watch back. I bought a new 136660 JC a few months later and I had insurance lined up and bought the day I brought it home. I own many luxury watches and for 20+ years always had them in my bag when golfing. Now they stay at home in the safe on days I golf.

My stolen JC Deep Sea 126660 SN: 5K97N343.
Ladditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 11:25 PM   #72
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

Just curious, please advise if you had any luck with the club and potential cameras. Also, I have always worn my watches while playing, I'm surprised to hear so many say they take them off. I wore my Pepsi last week for 18 holes. No issues at all. Not like it could HURT my game! I cannot imagine the swing will hurt a Rolex.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 12:10 AM   #73
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995akcoop View Post
Damn, at a golf course smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’d be surprised how many are criminals of opportunity. During grad school my classmate had her MacBook stolen while she was in the bathroom. The only problem was that she was in the university’s law library which is only accessible to graduate level law and accounting students. Don’t mistake socioeconomic class with the inability or unwillingness to commit petty theft/crime.
Old 3 May 2024, 01:48 AM   #74
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Yes indeed, some folks are always cruising around looking for any chance to snap something up if the opportunity presents itself. Although not a watch, I was walking on a moderately busy trail in a city park and had put down my camera bag (several thousand dollars in equipment) to snap a shot. I stepped away about 25 feet and spent maybe 3o seconds framing and taking the shot. When I looked back I saw a regular looking guy moving fast to my camera bag. I had to yell at him to leave the camera bag, fortunately there were enough people around that the potential thief lost his nerve and moved away quickly. I was amazed how quickly the event unfolded. So let's be careful out there. Cheers.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 07:18 AM   #75
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502 to Right View Post
Given that you are in the San Francisco area, I would not expect much (if any) help from the police. It would appear theft has been legalized in the area.

Have you talked to the golf club about any surveillance cameras they use? I assume you know where your bag was when the theft occurred? It's important to preserve any video they have of the time frame and keep it (they commonly record over old footage after a certain amount of time).

You likely will need to do your own leg work to have any chance of recovering the watch. I know if it were me I'd be like a dog on bone to get the watch back.
Great minds think alike - that’s exactly what I was going to say!
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 11:45 AM   #76
brome
"TRF" Member

Why are we taking these off? I don't understand. It's not a contact sport.
brome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 12:03 PM   #77
Ladditude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgdaytona View Post
Just curious, please advise if you had any luck with the club and potential cameras. Also, I have always worn my watches while playing, I'm surprised to hear so many say they take them off. I wore my Pepsi last week for 18 holes. No issues at all. Not like it could HURT my game! I cannot imagine the swing will hurt a Rolex.
No luck at the club. All the trees had grown over their cameras. In talking with staff, they had a theft a week prior with a police charity where and officers wallet was stolen from his bag. The past few years I have noticed many more signs all over the courses here regarding keeping an eye on valuables and not leaving the carts unattended. In some places with public trails, people have had their clubs and bag taken off the cart when they were on the course playing.
As far as not wearing a watch, it’s been uncomfortable since I was a kid in golf camp. However, if I do wear a watch it’s always a good thing to blame for a bad shot.
Ladditude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 02:04 PM   #78
Lalo007
"TRF" Member

Why would you wear the watch to golf to take it off and put it in your bag? Unnecessary but valuable lesson to be learn for everyone reading this post.
Lalo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 02:32 PM   #79
Lawman77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo007 View Post
Why would you wear the watch to golf to take it off and put it in your bag? Unnecessary but valuable lesson to be learn for everyone reading this post.
Good question. I dont understand. I play a fair amount of golf, but have never felt the urge to take any of my Rolex to the course with me. Maybe some feel a need to flex in the pro shop?
Lawman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 05:08 PM   #80
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by brome View Post
Why are we taking these off? I don't understand. It's not a contact sport.
This is the million dollar question.
Safest place for a Rolex is on the wrist. Not in a locker room, golf bag, cart or sitting on a shelf in public.
I wear mine 24/7 regardless the activity, sauna, steam, gym, biking
Old 3 May 2024, 05:31 PM   #81
Geffeilwitz
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry to hear about your 14060M, OP. That's a tough break. I've been a frequent flyer for years, and I've always taken special care with my belongings, especially my 14060M. Typically, I'd remove it from my wrist before even reaching security, stashing it safely in a zippered pocket within my leather carry-on bag. However, after your experience, I'm seriously reconsidering my approach. From now on, I'll make sure to remove it even before arriving at the airport.
Geffeilwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 05:40 PM   #82
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo007 View Post
I’ve done it too.
Forgot I wore it to golf course because I constantly wear it then realize it impedes my swing and then place it in golf bag.

However, I am constantly aware of it’s location from that time.
Don’t put it in car. At the turn, remove from golf bag and place back on wrist.
Guessing golf course personnel know who wears what and clock those individuals.

Valuable lesson, indeed.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 09:35 PM   #83
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladditude View Post
$15k gone. Had not gotten insurance yet. Worst mistake you can make.
I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way. Where people wear their watches, when they take them off, how they store them, etc. is not indicative of stupidity. We all behave differently, have different routines and occasionally make mistakes. Not having insurance, now that's really silly.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 10:21 PM   #84
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geffeilwitz View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your 14060M, OP. That's a tough break. I've been a frequent flyer for years, and I've always taken special care with my belongings, especially my 14060M. Typically, I'd remove it from my wrist before even reaching security, stashing it safely in a zippered pocket within my leather carry-on bag. However, after your experience, I'm seriously reconsidering my approach. From now on, I'll make sure to remove it even before arriving at the airport.
Why even take it off at the airport?