The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2024, 02:10 AM   #1
abhishekd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
Wearing a Pepsi in NYC

Hi - this may have been asked previously but I would like to understand current scenario. I’m traveling to NYC on a business trip for a week and staying near Central Park. Is it safe nowadays to take and wear my Pepsi? Will be taking the subway to commute.
abhishekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:11 AM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Better to have it covered on the subway. No need to risk any negative attention towards it.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:24 AM   #3
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I am thinking it would be as long as you keep your arm covered in questionable settings.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:28 AM   #4
seosub
"TRF" Member

Pepsi is not the most subtle watch & will probably draw some attention anywhere especially NYC.

I havent been to NYC in years but used to go all the time and while any big city warrants caution, in NYC people would openly wear very high end watches with tshirts. I remember meeting NYPD officers with TT subs - it wasnt infrequent that youd see someone with a very high end PM piece - Rolex, AP, Patek...

Not sure how things have changed in the last 5 years
seosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:34 AM   #5
BigJim67
"TRF" Member

Father in law would commute to NYC everyday with an 18K President. He was 5'6", never bothered.

You can always take it off and put in your pocket..
BigJim67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:36 AM   #6
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

the areas around central park are some of the richest areas in nyc with tons of old money everywhere. if you venture off deeper into the other boroughs, which i doubt you will, then you would start to see more sketchy stuff but in manhattan you'll be fine. there aren't really any bad neighborhoods in manhattan below uptown
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 02:42 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Live near Central Park. Wear nice watches all the time, including subway very frequently. Never a problem or concern. Enjoy the city.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:28 AM   #8
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Rode the subway many times during all hours wearing all sorts of Rolex and never had a prob. Last trip I wore my sub while my buddy had on a 5980 PP and rode the train from Brooklyn to Bowery. Still got both arms so I guess it’s safe
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:33 AM   #9
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I wear my Rolex every time I’m in New York, situational awareness and common sense apply.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:34 AM   #10
Banned

No way as a tourist
881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:38 AM   #11
bronxbombers42
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub, GMT
You're fine, enjoy your trip and be aware of your surroundings (even if not wearing a watch). Everyone and their mothers are wearing Rolex in the city these days and no one bats an eye
bronxbombers42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 03:59 AM   #12
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Wear it. Manhattan is full of Rolex wearers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:07 AM   #13
lyutin
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, subC, BLRN
live in brooklyn, go to nyc often - use your judgement. If on train i'd wear a long sleeve. I take the subway almost daily and wear the subC 70% of the time, 10% batgirl and 20% apple watch. never had an issue - and I think brooklyn isnt safer than the city. So you should be fine...
lyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:13 AM   #14
jfn
"TRF" Member

I regularly run in the city, Brooklyn, and Queens wearing a Pepsi. Subway less than I used to, but don't have any concerns with any of my watches.
jfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:14 AM   #15
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekd View Post
Hi - this may have been asked previously...
LOL. Yeah, perhaps once.

Enjoy NYC, you'll be fine.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:20 AM   #16
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

You’ll be fine. No one cares as much as you think. I also assume half of them I see are super replicas anyway.
Tylerlsu2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 04:48 AM   #17
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artnouveau View Post
i wear my rolex every time i’m in new york, situational awareness and common sense apply.
+1
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 05:16 AM   #18
boychild
"TRF" Member

Just be aware. Lots going on in NYC now.
boychild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 05:18 AM   #19
abhishekd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
Thanks! Will wear a jacket at all times and keep wrist covered!
abhishekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 05:22 AM   #20
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

I've worn my BLNR to NYC plenty of times and rode the subway with no issues. I'll actually be there again Wednesday evening to Thursday for my work. You'll be fine, like others say, use common sense and be careful of your surroundings.
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 05:43 AM   #21
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Unconscious bias is rife in these comments. It doesn’t matter if you live in a rich area. Organised criminals target luxury resorts and neighbourhoods annually to steal watches.

Just because an area is “poor”, it doesn’t mean the locals will steal your watch.

Just use common sense when travelling. Of course wearing a watch costing tens of thousands on public transport whilst wearing a t-shirt is a bad idea.

Similarly if you’re in a flashy restaurant, be aware that organised criminals pay waiters on minimum wage to spot expensive watches so you may become a victim when you leave.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 05:51 AM   #22
Actor07
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 126519
I ride the subways and Metro North (commuter rail between NYC and Greenwich CT). I wear my Daytonas (WG on Oysterflex) and (Platona) always in NYC. The key to traveling on the subways in NYC is not to flash anything. Be understated, wear black, and don't flaunt anything. That's the key to survival in NYC and the boroughs. I am a 20+ year NYC veteran and have never been robbed. Be understated and be smart and don't look like a tourist. Blend in and all will be fine.
Actor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 06:31 AM   #23
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
Unconscious bias is rife in these comments. It doesn’t matter if you live in a rich area. Organised criminals target luxury resorts and neighbourhoods annually to steal watches.

Just because an area is “poor”, it doesn’t mean the locals will steal your watch.

Just use common sense when travelling. Of course wearing a watch costing tens of thousands on public transport whilst wearing a t-shirt is a bad idea.

Similarly if you’re in a flashy restaurant, be aware that organised criminals pay waiters on minimum wage to spot expensive watches so you may become a victim when you leave.
watch theft isn't really a thing in nyc and specifically manhattan, it happens and was on the news a few times last year but it's not really prevelant. i guess if you wear watches worth 6 figures it becomes much different but not so much with a steel rolex

it helps to understand the geography and dynamics of nyc and that the level of safety is drastically different in the center of manhattan vs the other 4 boroughs because it's a completely different world. every inch of midtown and downtown manhattan is covered in cameras and has tons of people and it's not like you can pop in and out of a car or motorcycle and get away. it's a bit like saying you can get your watch stolen on the strip in vegas. can you? yes it's possible, but not likely and what happens on the strip doesn't correlate at all to the rest of vegas

midtown and downtown are about as safe as can be for a major city as long as it's not late at night, it's the outer boroughs and subway where anything goes these days and where (in my opinion) it's become a shithole. cars being stolen left and right and almost any crime can be committed with no care, basically the wild west. those are the places i try not to flash watches regardless of whether it's a good area or not
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 06:53 AM   #24
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi - this may have been asked previously but I would like to understand current scenario. I’m traveling to NYC on a business trip for a week and staying near Central Park. Is it safe nowadays to take and wear my Pepsi? Will be taking the subway to commute.
Make sure you wear your diapers as well.
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 06:53 AM   #25
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Traveling with watches is one of the best way to enjoy them.

Wear it. Enjoy it. Have fun.

It’s a great time of year to visit NYC.

(Insure it if it makes you less anxious and allows you to wear it more aggressively )
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 06:53 AM   #26
WWRD
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I live near Central Park in NYC. The days of me wearing a gold nautilus in NYC are unfortunately in the rear view mirror. I am comfortable wearing my Pepsi, but I am also accustomed to living in a shithole city with a significant amount of brazen crime. I would say if you have to ask the question… err on the side of caution and leave it home.

I live 25 minutes walking distance from my office. It would be quicker for me to take the subway. Out of respect for my nostrils and desire for self preservation, I do not take the subway… I always walk.

WWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 06:59 AM   #27
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Flaunt it up and down fifth. Yours will be one of many. Cover it in subway, just like everyone else.

FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 07:04 AM   #28
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You will be fine but know your surroundings.

StylinProfilin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 07:22 AM   #29
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post

You are the first person to use the term "poor" in this thread.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2024, 07:35 AM   #30
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Was in New York last weekend, wore my deepsea… felt safe

jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote