The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2024, 09:32 PM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Thanks everyone for the great responses! This one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmgbob View Post
I workout very consistently and try to eat right (my goal is to reduce my a1c to the point that I can get off Metformin. ...Any suggestions? I dont see myself as a big yoga guy, primarily as I lack coordination.
Brothers of a different mothers, you and I. I have found a strong correlation between my A1C and weight. I've also added Jardiance to my Metformin regime, which has helped marginally. Jardiance also tends to help you recognize when you are full, which can help with weight.

I did yoga weekly before the pandemic, and just didn't go back after the lockdowns ended. However, it made a great improvement (which has remained, somewhat) in my balance which is important for us seniors. And it's not so much coordination as it is stretching and balance, with perhaps some mild cardio depending on who is leading the session. And to me, that's the big part. You need a yoga instructor who knows how to adapt their practice to the other yogi there, according to their age, flexibility and abilities. I've done hot yoga (hated it) and some "fast yoga" (my term) which I hated even more. But different strokes for different folks, eh?

I think it's well worth trying. Some full service gyms have yoga classes included, but usually it's just finding a local yoga studio and trying different classes with different instructors until you find one that you like.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 01:53 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Thanks everyone for the great responses! This one

Brothers of a different mothers, you and I. I have found a strong correlation between my A1C and weight. I've also added Jardiance to my Metformin regime, which has helped marginally. Jardiance also tends to help you recognize when you are full, which can help with weight.

I did yoga weekly before the pandemic, and just didn't go back after the lockdowns ended. However, it made a great improvement (which has remained, somewhat) in my balance which is important for us seniors. And it's not so much coordination as it is stretching and balance, with perhaps some mild cardio depending on who is leading the session. And to me, that's the big part. You need a yoga instructor who knows how to adapt their practice to the other yogi there, according to their age, flexibility and abilities. I've done hot yoga (hated it) and some "fast yoga" (my term) which I hated even more. But different strokes for different folks, eh?

I think it's well worth trying. Some full service gyms have yoga classes included, but usually it's just finding a local yoga studio and trying different classes with different instructors until you find one that you like.
Mat Pilates (Pilates on a yoga mat) is much the same types of activity and stretches. They are often offered in gyms as well.

The Pilates with the Reformer Machines are more hardcore but the mat is much like yoga.
Old 19 April 2024, 02:37 AM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Mat Pilates (Pilates on a yoga mat) is much the same types of activity and stretches. They are often offered in gyms as well.

The Pilates with the Reformer Machines are more hardcore but the mat is much like yoga.
I started Pilates a few weeks ago using a combo of reformer and mat exercises (at home). I went in on the advice of a physical therapist while thinking “this cant be too hard” and quickly found it kicks my butt. I definitely have more core strength and feel an improvement in flexibility as well but my lower back and hip issues still persist.

How long before you started noticing substantial improvements?

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 02:47 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I started Pilates a few weeks ago using a combo of reformer and mat exercises (at home). I went in on the advice of a physical therapist while thinking “this cant be too hard” and quickly found it kicks my butt. I definitely have more core strength and feel an improvement in flexibility as well but my lower back and hip issues still persist.

How long before you started noticing substantial improvements?
I did it for about 5 years, 3 times a week when I was up in Sonoma County before we moved back to LA, so I haven't done it for 3 years. I never really liked the Reformer that much but I had 3 different instructors for the mat classes and each were different and tended to do different things. I think they were also yoga qualified as well.

I was always flexible from doing martial arts for many years. But it works on things that I wasn't really concentrating on.

I had thought that my sciatic issues was actually piriformis for a time and it came and went but now we think it's inflammation in the hip joint caused by tiny (spurs) rubbing on the nerve. You can't drop on your hip and block shots forever apparently. LOL

I'd stick with it if I were you because it's a great exercise and it also works both sides of the body which creates better muscle balance since we all have a dominant left or right side. This dominance tends to throw off our ability to keep a straight spine which I think is the cause of most health issues other than dietary ones.