The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2024, 12:17 PM   #1
Glaze88
2024 Pledge Member

Grey Market Dealers in LA?

Hi Guys,

I am coming to LA early next month and wanted to bring a few pieces over to sell and wanted to know who the best dealers are around LA. Santa Monica area or Manhattan Beach area is where I will be located for a few days.

All 3 watches will be Full Set and in Mint condition etc

TIA
Old 17 April 2024, 01:45 PM   #2
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
OC Watch Guy. Patrick. Huntington Beach. Great guy, nice showroom, fair prices

Philippes Watches. Beverly Hills. Family business. Philippe or Josh

Visit Gearys in Santa Monica. Say hi to Daniel (boutique manager) and Joanne. Tell them Joe sent you.

Enjoy your trip.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 01:49 PM   #3
Glaze88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post

Visit Gearys in Santa Monica. Say hi to Daniel (boutique manager) and Joanne. Tell them Joe sent you.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks mate. I have been speaking with Joanne for over 2yrs on my trips to Santa Monica. Visit 3-4 times a year, still yet to purchase from them but hopefully this year is the year :)
Old 17 April 2024, 08:23 PM   #4
Joearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaze88 View Post
Thanks mate. I have been speaking with Joanne for over 2yrs on my trips to Santa Monica. Visit 3-4 times a year, still yet to purchase from them but hopefully this year is the year :)
BTW, OC Watchguy is a TRF trusted seller. Patrick is a good option for getting excellent preowned pieces. I have sourced some nice non Rolex things from him. Mostly Panerai, as I still have a few in my collection. I don’t buy current model Rolex from grey guys anymore since prices are north of retail.

Best of luck at Gearys, hopefully this IS the year. Keep trying with her.
Old 17 April 2024, 09:00 PM   #5
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Brian at Boxer Time (Briboxer on TRF). He is in Orange County
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 09:06 PM   #6
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Brian at Boxer Time (Briboxer on TRF). He is in Orange County
X2 The Best of the Best!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 09:32 PM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not go in cold to any watch dealers as an unknow with watches to sell. I would get on the phone, introduce myself and have a discussion about the watches I have and what they would value them at. This also saves you from going from shop to shop and back again to make a sale. I would also not just focus on the watch dealers in and around L. A. I would check with several of the TRF Trusted Sellers and see who gives you the best price. The buyers typically provide a pre-paid insured shipping label and will pay you the day they receive the watch and everything checks out with it. Using the shipping will also save you from having to travel with the watches. Good luck and let us know what you decided.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 06:31 PM   #8
7sins
"TRF" Member

If you are trying to sell a watch you are much better doing consignment, you will retain a higher percentage of the value of the watch. For consignment I highly recommend Eddie at Modern Swiss, he has sold many of my watches. Otherwise reachout to Joseph at Stein Diamonds in DTLA.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 06:48 PM   #9
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Of watchguy always has good stock
I’m guessing you’ll get a better price in LA compared to Australia with the exchange rate?
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #10
Glaze88
2024 Pledge Member

Well I have been trying to communicate with all dealers above and a few more. I gotta say their communication is pathetic, to say the least. Tough to get good service these days.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #11
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well I have been trying to communicate with all dealers above and a few more. I gotta say their communication is pathetic, to say the least. Tough to get good service these days.
haven't heard of the LA shops mentioned, so can't speak on them, but i've never heard anyone say they had communication issues with the trusted sellers on TRF, so that's a bit surprising to hear if that's the case. maybe provide some more details?
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #12
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Enjoy your trip.
OC watch guys are ridiculously overpriced. And they offer very low for watches you want to sell to them. Choose another grey dealer.
rolesor2022 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #13
Glaze88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
haven't heard of the LA shops mentioned, so can't speak on them, but i've never heard anyone say they had communication issues with the trusted sellers on TRF, so that's a bit surprising to hear if that's the case. maybe provide some more details?
If you haven't heard of them then they mustn't be trusted seller on TRF. 3 dealers I have reached out to have just been plain and simply disappointing to deal with. One dealer said he would come back to me the next day with a list of prices, haven't heard from him in approximately 10 days since.

No big deal, just thought US market might be a little better to sell in.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #14
Glaze88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
OC watch guys are ridiculously overpriced. And they offer very low for watches you want to sell to them. Choose another grey dealer.
Yeh, I will for sure. They replied to my msg on Instagram, gave WhatsApp contact number, and then disappeared out of sight.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #15
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Im in NZ and only 2 greys. I'd have thought youd have a good market in Au, tgat said if I did travel as much as you I'd be trying the same thing.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #16
Joearch

OCRolexguy is same as OCwatch guy. Patrick is owner. Has been a TRF TS for many years. Odd that people from NYC haven’t heard of them or others say over priced. I have been doing business for many years and transactions as well as DSW. In any case go online, compare prices and use the forms they have to get an offer. Not saying they are the only way to go, just trying to be helpful. My experience has been positive over more than 10 years of transactions.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #17
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
From the offers he's sent me and friends.... I'd say he's more than fair. And his pricing is definitely on the lower end compared to the other major trusted sellers on TRF...... Not sure what you were trying to buy/sell.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #18
misochew
"TRF" Member

Watch: n+1
Quote:

I’ve purchased 3 watches and traded a couple with OC Watchguy. Did a ton of research prior to each deal. The watches were great quality, and just as described/listed. They are nice guys to deal with.

The prices very competitive with prevailing market prices. Trade-in values were reasonable, and not cut-throat low-ball

So, I am surprised to see your comment about them being overpriced.

-cheers
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #19
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am coming to LA early next month and wanted to bring a few pieces over to sell and wanted to know who the best dealers are around LA. Santa Monica area or Manhattan Beach area is where I will be located for a few days.

All 3 watches will be Full Set and in Mint condition etc

TIA
Are you supposed to declare these three watches full set B&P to customs coming in the US with the intend to sell? Not sure what I would do if a CBPO agent were to stop to ask because you would need to pay duties/taxes right.
kopi-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM   #20
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Are you supposed to declare these three watches full set B&P to customs coming in the US with the intend to sell? Not sure what I would do if a CBPO agent were to stop to ask because you would need to pay duties/taxes right.
Youd just tell em a few porkies and be on yer way. These are mine, heres all the paperwork, i rotate daily. The end.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #21
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Timepiece Gentleman
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #22
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
It’s easy to say hey look at my collection etc, try selling them……….selling anything these days is problematic.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #23
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
OCRolexguy is same as OCwatch guy. Patrick is owner. Has been a TRF TS for many years. Odd that people from NYC haven’t heard of them or others say over priced. I have been doing business for many years and transactions as well as DSW. In any case go online, compare prices and use the forms they have to get an offer. Not saying they are the only way to go, just trying to be helpful. My experience has been positive over more than 10 years of transactions.
i have heard of OC watch guy which is why i said i was surprised to read the bad experience because any time i've dealt with trusted sellers they would reply to my emails within minutes, and that's the same experience everyone else shares on this site constantly. the LA shops i was referring to were the ones mentioned by you and 7sins (Philippes, Modern Swiss and Stein diamonds), which obviously are much more local so i wouldn't know about them
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM   #24
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy123 View Post
Youd just tell em a few porkies and be on yer way. These are mine, heres all the paperwork, i rotate daily. The end.
lol, I will have to try that next time
kopi-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:43 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Why the need to do a face-to-face transaction? Going in cold to a dealer puts you in the weaker position. You're carrying all this stuff you want to unload which they understand all too well. Plus, all that driving around and time spent.

It is much better and far more efficient to find the names of the best dealers in the country. Call them, send photos and find your best price. Have the dealer you go with send you a label and you are done. You will have your money the next day after they get the watches by bank wire.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #26
77T

Maybe ship the watches ahead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:52 AM   #27
ppierce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
If you are trying to sell a watch you are much better doing consignment, you will retain a higher percentage of the value of the watch. For consignment I highly recommend Eddie at Modern Swiss, he has sold many of my watches. Otherwise reachout to Joseph at Stein Diamonds in DTLA.
Just don't use Timepiece Gentleman for any consignment.
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:51 AM   #28
VittoCheri
"TRF" Member

good
VittoCheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #29
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Negative. Read the horror stories of consignment with watch dealers.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:25 AM   #30
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
From the offers he's sent me and friends.... I'd say he's more than fair. And his pricing is definitely on the lower end compared to the other major trusted sellers on TRF...... Not sure what you were trying to buy/sell.
I was trying to buy a Panda 126500Ln Daytona. They have it listed for 37.595 currently. They also charge a fee using a credit card which would bring it to ~$40k... Who the heck is paying $40k for a SS Daytona? Thats absolutely ridiculous. Might as well get a Day Date or AP!. My goodness. Its overpriced. I have another grey dealer who offered it to me for 33k out the door ( I went with them instead)
rolesor2022 is online now   Reply With Quote