The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 April 2024, 03:42 AM   #1
rrschmieder
2024 Pledge Member

Moving from an AP Diver to the new chronograph

Hello all,

I have an older AP diver (15703st) that I love, but I've got the itch to add another offshore to my collection.

I'm particularly interested in the new chronographs (26420SO), but I'm hesitant with it's size.

On paper it doesn't look to be much bigger; it's a 43mm vs. my 42mm, and apparently the newer model chronos are more ergonomic on the wrist (the lug to lug is shorter than previous). However when I look at pictures or video, the watch looks much bigger than my diver. Perhaps it's the shape of the pushers?

I wouldn't want to go with something that wears larger than my diver. Has anyone had the same dilemma I have? Or any insight they can share here?

It'd be much appreciated.
rrschmieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:51 AM   #2
SN2354
"TRF" Member

the chrono should wear smaller, if you are going for that? I have a tiny wrist, and tried on a 26331st and it fit decently!

Dimensions might look off to you, yes maybe the pushers, but keep in mind the thickness will be much less on the chrono.

Try one on however you can, but imho the 42mm chrono is a nice sized watch for many.
SN2354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:04 AM   #3
eonflux
"TRF" Member

I had a 15710 Diver, which has the same case as your 15703 Diver, and wears the same.
I've tried on the 15720 Diver and that wore the same as the 15710.

I've tried on the 26420 ROO and it didn't wear bigger than the 15710, because the "lugs" are angled more downward.
Did look larger though because of the wider diameter.

I have a 26238 and it wears a little better for me than the 15710 because the "lugs" are angled a bit more downward.

If the 15703 fits fine on your wrist, the 26420 shouldn't fit any less well, but would look larger.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:25 AM   #4
edo
"TRF" Member

It sits better on the wrist due to new case. It will look and feel less massive mostly when looked from the side, but looked from the top view which is 90% time how we look at the watch it will be larger due to added size and especially due to bezel dial ratio.
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 09:10 PM   #5
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

I sold off my 15720ST.OO.A027CA.01 diver and purchased a 26420CE.

To me, the 43mm ROO wears a bit smaller; I prefer it on my wrist by a wide margin.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 02:35 AM   #6
Watchlurker11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post

To me, the 43mm ROO wears a bit smaller; I prefer it on my wrist by a wide margin.
I have an older 42mm ROO that seems to wear so much smaller than the 41mm ROC's i've seen. I think it has something to do with the thickness of the bezel vs. the area of the dial. The 41mm ROC dial seems like a dinner plate on my wrist (though i've heard black ceramic makes it look smaller). i'm hoping for a ceramic release in the 39-40mm range in the future.
Watchlurker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 02:40 AM   #7
Watchlurker11
"TRF" Member

Last edited by Watchlurker11; 13 April 2024 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: duplicate post
Watchlurker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 03:06 AM   #8
rrschmieder
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the replies thus far guys. It sounds like the new offshore chronos will wear better on my wrist, but it will look larger. So probably a deal breaker for me.

I just can't get over how big the watch on this guy, who has larger wrists -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmLxHo8m4k
Old 13 April 2024, 03:46 AM   #9
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrschmieder View Post
Thanks for the replies thus far guys. It sounds like the new offshore chronos will wear better on my wrist, but it will look larger. So probably a deal breaker for me.

I just can't get over how big the watch on this guy, who has larger wrists -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmLxHo8m4k
All wrist shots amplify the size of the watch and close up wrist shots are even worse LOL!. On that guy it looks good, but the only way to truly gauge it is to actually try it on. IMO you need to look at it in the mirror to see how it presents overall in the context of your arm. If you have well proportioned forearms and biceps the watch will look balanced as opposed to someone who has biceps that are the same width as their wrist
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 01:49 AM   #10
rrschmieder
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchlurker11 View Post
I have an older 42mm ROO that seems to wear so much smaller than the 41mm ROC's i've seen. I think it has something to do with the thickness of the bezel vs. the area of the dial. The 41mm ROC dial seems like a dinner plate on my wrist (though i've heard black ceramic makes it look smaller). i'm hoping for a ceramic release in the 39-40mm range in the future.
Just to confirm, you're comparing the older 42mm Offshores to the 41mm Royal Oak chronos? Are you comparing the 42 ROO to the new 43 Offshores?
Old 16 April 2024, 01:55 AM   #11
rrschmieder
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post

What made you move from the 15720st to the new Offshore? I'm now considering just upgrading from my older black diver to the new 15720st reference with green dial.

Which dial color did you have on your diver?