The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 April 2024, 10:35 PM   #1
Oost
"TRF" Member

Honest with an AD

Hi all

So I have previously secured two pieces quite quickly with another AD where I also bought some other items from which we wanted and also used for some other services we needed.

Prior to this I had registered my interest in a Datejust with another (bigger high street AD…) and also the Yellow gold and Oystersteel GMT.

Just after the New Year and conveniently right after the price increase the bigger AD offered me a Datejust with a different dial. I politely declined and said I would hold out.

In between then and now I secured two other pieces, both exactly what I asked for and both within a couple of months.

Fast forward to yesterday and I got a call and email saying that the Yellow gold/oyster steel GMT was available to me, followed very quickly by “oops my colleague has offered this to someone else and I didn’t realise. I’ll let you know if anything changes”

Now I thought this was a perfect opportunity to update the situation with them and I told them to take me off for the Datejust and also that I had a change of heart on the yellow gold/steel GMT after I had literally seen it in person a couple of days before along with some other options.

I asked to change my choices to either the new Black/grey oyster steel GMT or Blue/black bezels. I know these are harder pieces to get, but given their mistake and the fact I’ve already had luck securing pieces I want I thought the right thing to do was just be honest as I’m not really interested in buying what I don’t want or wasting anyone’s time. I would 100% purchase those pieces if they were offered to me where I was 50/50 on the yellow gold one at the time.

Since then, have had no acknowledgment of this request. Do we think this AD will change my account to reflect my requests,or will they just look at me unfavourably now they know I have bought from elsewhere and changed my choices with them.

Should I just focus on the AD I have the relationship with and forget about these other guys moving forward? I thought it could be useful to have a couple of options, but just wondering your experiences and views on just being loyal to one and whether this could just be easier!

All opinions welcome. Thank you.
Oost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 12:05 AM   #2
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

If your AD looks badly at you for updating your list of desired watches, you are working with a bad AD.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 12:11 AM   #3
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oost View Post
Hi all

So I have previously secured two pieces quite quickly with another AD where I also bought some other items from which we wanted and also used for some other services we needed.

Prior to this I had registered my interest in a Datejust with another (bigger high street AD…) and also the Yellow gold and Oystersteel GMT.

Just after the New Year and conveniently right after the price increase the bigger AD offered me a Datejust with a different dial. I politely declined and said I would hold out.

In between then and now I secured two other pieces, both exactly what I asked for and both within a couple of months.

Fast forward to yesterday and I got a call and email saying that the Yellow gold/oyster steel GMT was available to me, followed very quickly by “oops my colleague has offered this to someone else and I didn’t realise. I’ll let you know if anything changes”

Now I thought this was a perfect opportunity to update the situation with them and I told them to take me off for the Datejust and also that I had a change of heart on the yellow gold/steel GMT after I had literally seen it in person a couple of days before along with some other options.

I asked to change my choices to either the new Black/grey oyster steel GMT or Blue/black bezels. I know these are harder pieces to get, but given their mistake and the fact I’ve already had luck securing pieces I want I thought the right thing to do was just be honest as I’m not really interested in buying what I don’t want or wasting anyone’s time. I would 100% purchase those pieces if they were offered to me where I was 50/50 on the yellow gold one at the time.

Since then, have had no acknowledgment of this request. Do we think this AD will change my account to reflect my requests,or will they just look at me unfavourably now they know I have bought from elsewhere and changed my choices with them.

Should I just focus on the AD I have the relationship with and forget about these other guys moving forward? I thought it could be useful to have a couple of options, but just wondering your experiences and views on just being loyal to one and whether this could just be easier!

All opinions welcome. Thank you.
Use all of the ADs. Get your watches. They don’t on,y deal with a single customer and they don’t expect you to not buy watches elsewhere that they can’t sell you. And if they get your desired watch, they can easily sell it to the next customer.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 12:11 AM   #4
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Simple.
1. Grow both relationships.
2. Remind the AD of your list next time you talk.
Old 12 April 2024, 03:13 AM   #5
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

So, didn't you speak to the person to make the requests?
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:20 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Do you prefer an actual answer from the sales associate you made the request with or speculation from the jaded TRF community?
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:46 AM   #7
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Stop in, talk to SA face to face about your new preferences. In fact, do it at both ADs, and see who comes through first.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:20 AM   #8
Oost
"TRF" Member

I value your opinions, that’s why I am here :)

All worked out better than expected and apart from being told need to have purchase history for the GMT, I have been offered four other models so I guess this second relationship is starting to blossom already :)
Old 12 April 2024, 05:55 AM   #9
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
I mean, if I were an SA I might be inclined to think you're not a particularly "serious" buyer given all those changes in preference.

But I do understand it. It's part of the game. Things grow on us as we look into them further - and we "leap-frog". That said, I'd play it like Kat suggests^. I'd add to it by suggesting that you explain you're ready to make a "deposit" on the watch "today".

They won't take one, ofc, but I can guarantee you that they will take notice of your serious intent.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 06:06 AM   #10
Oost
"TRF" Member

So it seems that updating my preferences is completely understood and no problem.

Also got offered a few other models that are currently available.

I guess this highlights just to be honest with them and not to feel pressured into buying stuff you just dont want!

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful responses.
Old 12 April 2024, 06:09 AM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I'd use as many ADs as possible to get my desired watches. Potential buyers reconsider, swerve and pass all the time. I don't suppose you are seen as any different.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 07:17 AM   #12
MarioB83
"TRF" Member

Keeping 2 sources alive is not a bad idea, just be ready to buy what you have requested from them if offered at any time
MarioB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 09:29 AM   #13
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
It shouldn't be a big deal to change your mind. Don't forget they offered it to you and then pulled out the carpet saying that it went to someone else, as I understand it. You should be able to deal with an AD in a mutually respectful way without walking on egg shells out of fear you will offend your SA. Kind of rude they didn't respond to your request. I guess without burning bridges, try to work with both ADs. I've been with several ADs over the years, it's good to shop around and find new options. Good luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 10:04 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go in, talk face to face. Do it enough that they know you and have to deal with you. The texting and email are nice and convenient but also an easy way to say no or just ignore you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote