The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #1
Citystar31
Banned

AD paid in full... waiting to pick up!

Hey everyone! After weeks of browsing I've finally made an account. Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe during these times!

As the title says I have paid an AD in Mexico in full for a Batman but have been told they can not ship international and I have to wait to pick it up. I am in the US and my only purchase history with this AD was literally one month ago when the fiancé and I went on vacation and I bought her an entry level Rolex... I have been seeing lots of posts about certain AD's potentially selling watches they don't have in stock and now I am a little worried considering my purchase history with this AD. However I was not offered the Batman upfront... first it was a TT Daytona ( only declined because I literally bought a Rootbeer the day before!) then it was a SS SD... I accepted but only if they would ship. Two days later he said they 100% could not ship International and asked if I would pay and wait if he could get a watch I wanted more.... this ultimately led to him calling about a Batman that day that was mine if I wanted, catch being I had to spend another 2.5k at the store. I quickly agreed and spent little extra to add an Omega to the package! I paid in full using my AMEX and have receipt and invoice but am in Limbo waiting for everything to open.

I am really just wondering if they actually have the watch...?? I did notice the invoice has the serial number on it last night and seems many people that paid in full do not have that. I know my history with this AD does not reflect a Batman but I am also wondering if it is a lot different in an all tourist area? I should also mention that this AD offered me a SS Daytona 30 minutes after leaving the shop off a 5k purchase... I had to buy another watch to get it but still the fact I was even offered it blew my mind! Unfortunately I had to leave before it arrived at the store and I just couldn't extend the trip.

I was hoping maybe I just made a great first impression and with everything going on everyone else just passed on the opportunity. Would love to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences with AD's in all tourist areas!?!?
Citystar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:57 AM   #2
Exceptional
Banned

It's paid for and you have the receipt, you won't know until they open up.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Exceptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:06 AM   #3
smiles11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Daytona
I wouldn’t worry. Congratulations!
smiles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:07 AM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceptional View Post

Agree
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:18 AM   #5
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceptional View Post

If they open up. They could go out of business. Not sure how many days Amex would protect you father purchase, Would def clarify with Amex for worse case scenario. During shut down in wash dc metro, . Another local ad lost Rolex.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:23 AM   #6
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Not sure why they can't ship international? I'm getting shipments in from England so why not Mexico?
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:24 AM   #7
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
Not sure why they can't ship international? I'm getting shipments in from England so why not Mexico?

+1. seems a bit suspect.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:43 AM   #8
maveric
"TRF" Member

Call me crazy but I would be nervous about any money held at a business in a 3rd world country.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:50 AM   #9
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
Call me crazy but I would be nervous about any money held at a business in a 3rd world country.
In this current environment, I would be nervous giving a 100% deposit for ANYTHING, much less a Rolex!

Old 17 April 2020, 02:59 AM   #10
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Ask the AD to send you a picture of the watch and goodies.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:59 AM   #11
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
My hope is that you will get soon. It sucks at this time how we have to be doing business
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:01 AM   #12
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
"Do not engage in AD extortion."

Sad.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:16 AM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You've made an assessment of the potential risk versus the potential benefit and gone with your best judgement.

All you can do now is wait and don't lose any sleep.

Regarding the comments in your OP, there have been opinions expressed by some forum contributors that phantom watches may have been offered. No one has accused any AD of selling watches they don't have. Nor has anyone produced any evidence to support this.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:26 AM   #14
Citystar31
Banned

Quote:
That was odd to me as well but also I understand not wanting to ship a Rolex Internationally...
Old 17 April 2020, 03:34 AM   #15
maveric
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystar31 View Post
That was odd to me as well but also I understand not wanting to ship a Rolex Internationally...
They are forcing you to travel there and pick it up? Will flying be ever safe until there’s a vaccine?
Old 17 April 2020, 03:35 AM   #16
scottwmitch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
If they open up. They could go out of business. Not sure how many days Amex would protect you father purchase, Would def clarify with Amex for worse case scenario. During shut down in wash dc metro, . Another local ad lost Rolex.
I'm in the DC area. Which AD lost Rolex?
scottwmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:35 AM   #17
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I live in Mexico and my AD requires 50k spent to be even considered for a Daytona. I’m not about those type of games so I haven’t purchased anything I didn’t want to. You found a generous AD.

I would not worry, I know some gringos here are worried about the third world country thing, but if it’s an Authorized Dealer, there is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:36 AM   #18
lbzdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which one around DC? I hadn't really been paying attention
lbzdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:36 AM   #19
Rohan1806
"TRF" Member

Maybe you could get in touch with a FedEx or DHL and find out if the watch can be picked up from the AD. If the courier companies can make it happen, you could bear the shipping costs and get the watch ASAP.
Rohan1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:38 AM   #20
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

It is true that ADs in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico won’t ship. You can pay on the phone etc but you must pick up in person.

I’m surprised to hear the tropical ADs are trying to bundle though, as they must be hurting for customers now with the cruise line industry pretty much shut down. Which Mexican AD are you dealing with, Ultrajewels?
PNBLWZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:42 AM   #21
fiosity
Banned

I think you’re fine
fiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:50 AM   #22
maveric
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_1908 View Post
...if it’s an Authorized Dealer, there is nothing to worry about..
This is an AD that presumably relies on sales to tourists. Don't you think there'll be a severe shortage of demand for the foreseeable future? I think it's reasonable to question the financial viability of such a business.
Old 17 April 2020, 03:57 AM   #23
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwmitch View Post
I'm in the DC area. Which AD lost Rolex?
Finks Dulles town center this week. Mgm Finks and Annapolis mall ad last year. Kings jewelry on king street Alexandria this past January 1st. King’s one of few mom and pop ad’s left in area.
Old 17 April 2020, 04:04 AM   #24
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
I think it's reasonable to question the financial viability of such a business.

Being AD means nothing, Still could go belly up .
Old 17 April 2020, 04:50 AM   #25
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystar31 View Post
Hey everyone! After weeks of browsing I've finally made an account. Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe during these times!

As the title says I have paid an AD in Mexico in full for a Batman but have been told they can not ship international and I have to wait to pick it up. I am in the US and my only purchase history with this AD was literally one month ago when the fiancé and I went on vacation and I bought her an entry level Rolex... I have been seeing lots of posts about certain AD's potentially selling watches they don't have in stock and now I am a little worried considering my purchase history with this AD. However I was not offered the Batman upfront... first it was a TT Daytona ( only declined because I literally bought a Rootbeer the day before!) then it was a SS SD... I accepted but only if they would ship. Two days later he said they 100% could not ship International and asked if I would pay and wait if he could get a watch I wanted more.... this ultimately led to him calling about a Batman that day that was mine if I wanted, catch being I had to spend another 2.5k at the store. I quickly agreed and spent little extra to add an Omega to the package! I paid in full using my AMEX and have receipt and invoice but am in Limbo waiting for everything to open.

I am really just wondering if they actually have the watch...?? I did notice the invoice has the serial number on it last night and seems many people that paid in full do not have that. I know my history with this AD does not reflect a Batman but I am also wondering if it is a lot different in an all tourist area? I should also mention that this AD offered me a SS Daytona 30 minutes after leaving the shop off a 5k purchase... I had to buy another watch to get it but still the fact I was even offered it blew my mind! Unfortunately I had to leave before it arrived at the store and I just couldn't extend the trip.

I was hoping maybe I just made a great first impression and with everything going on everyone else just passed on the opportunity. Would love to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences with AD's in all tourist areas!?!?
As always you do you, but there's not a chance I would have entered into this transaction personally. Grey market touts aside - and there's more than a few of them on this board - availability for pieces is increasing. No need to fund a foreign AD who is refusing to ship to you imo.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 05:16 AM   #26
Citystar31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNBLWZD View Post
It is true that ADs in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico won’t ship. You can pay on the phone etc but you must pick up in person.

I’m surprised to hear the tropical ADs are trying to bundle though, as they must be hurting for customers now with the cruise line industry pretty much shut down. Which Mexican AD are you dealing with, Ultrajewels?
Yes, more specifically the Cabo location.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:32 AM   #27
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Finks Dulles town center this week. Mgm Finks and Annapolis mall ad last year. Kings jewelry on king street Alexandria this past January 1st. King’s one of few mom and pop ad’s left in area.
Update. One employee has said Finks has lost Rolex. Another forum member reached out and got opposite answer. I hope they get to retain Rolex ad.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:34 AM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerBelair View Post
As always you do you, but there's not a chance I would have entered into this transaction personally. Grey market touts aside - and there's more than a few of them on this board - availability for pieces is increasing. No need to fund a foreign AD who is refusing to ship to you imo.
I would agree. I hope this works out for you and it probably will be fine. Its a shame you have to go down there to get it, unless you really like making the trip, then its a vacation.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 05:36 AM   #29
cj3209
"TRF" Member

This is off topic but are some ADs shipping in the US?

I contacted an AZ AD recetnly and they said they are not allowed to ship but I could pick it up in AZ. Unfortunately, I'm not driving 150 miles to pick up a watch.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #30
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is off topic but are some ADs shipping in the US?

I contacted an AZ AD recetnly and they said they are not allowed to ship but I could pick it up in AZ. Unfortunately, I'm not driving 150 miles to pick up a watch.

My nearby AD is shipping to buyer or to gift recipient(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote