The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6 May 2024, 01:16 PM   #9
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
My thoughts? I fully agree with you. The regular production Speedmaster Pro is an absolutely fantastic watch. I also agree with you that my Snoopy and (especially) the 321 cost significantly more than the regular production Speedy, and when one tries to account for every dollar and every cent …let’s just say the totals don’t exactly balance out.

I will also say this though - for all of us in this forum, it is not about the money but rather the passion and how these watches make us feel. It is about how they make us feel rather than dollars and cents, and that is what moves us to post on our forums. Looking at your post count gives me confidence that you probably have some amazing pieces in your collection that would make my toes curl. Same thing can be said for the person who bought their first proper watch - I know someone who got a Sinn that is totally enamored with it, and it’s a bloody good watch. We are all passionate about watches.

…and it is this passion that goes way beyond what most people would consider common sense. :^)

To be totally honest, even the cheapest Bulova with a Selitta SW200 ETA clone movement is still, technically, too expensive if viewed from the perspective of cost. Most people have phones and can tell (perfect) time using them.

Which is why I am so appreciative of my wife. Rather than chastise me about taking a flight halfway around the world for a watch, she simply smiled and said at least I wasn’t spending the money on women. :^D

Back to watches …

Is the 321 movement better than, say, the 3861 in the regular Speedy? Technically, no. The 3861 is more accurate, more modern, and one doesn’t have to worry that their iPad will magnetize it.

Is the 3861 movement in the Snoopy different from the version in the regular Speedy? No, not at all. In fact, the regular Speedy is probably better in that there are fewer things that can go wrong (considering all the additions to the Snoopy that make the back interesting - the constantly spinning earth disc that is connected to the small seconds, and the Snoopy lunar module connected to the main seconds …and which apparently required the hands to be made of aluminum to save weight so as to maintain torque).

So, on paper the regular Speedy is almost the perfect watch. It really is, and it can totally fill the ‘one and done’ slot for anyone.

It is just that the 321 and the Snoopy put a big darn grin on my face whenever I look at them, and at the end of the day, that’s worth it.
PandaLover is offline   Reply With Quote