The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2005, 08:42 AM   #1
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I've decided I don't want a Rolex

Untill after college that is. Scared ya didn't I? Trust me, there is a logical explination to this. I have been thinking it over and I have come to the conclusion that even if my parents would buy me one I would probably feel really bad that they spent all that hard earned money on a watch for me. So I've decided that when I graduate college which is obviously a large acheivment they said that they might buy me one then. Which is more than they have ever said about it. So I will probably wait untill then and even if they don't buy it in full they can pay maybe half or something and I can fill in the difference gap. BTW I did get some watch related items for Christmas. A 5 watch leather watch box and some off brand winder. Back on topic though, it would probably be better for me to gradually make my way into the luxury timepiece market. Right now I've got my eye on an awesome TAG Carrera Twin Time Auto. It's got a white dial and brown croc strap. My parents said if I save up I can get it. I already have 100 something bucks and the owners son said he would cut me a good deal on it, depending what I paid with. He's not even supposed to have it in the store because someone called and they ordered it and the person never picked it up, so he's ready to move it. If I can get $1,000 in cold hard cash Trey would probably move it for that. I tried to get him to $1,300 on Christmas Eve to no avail. Just wait till he sees that cash. Man I hate this sickness. Man, that was long. Man, I just used man twice no wait make that 4 times.

Tyler
Member #84

Last edited by baseballduck; 30 December 2005 at 09:14 AM..
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Tyler, you have the potential to become one of the sickest members of this really sick august body called TRF.

I think the decision to hold off on the Rolex is a good one. It will mean more to you if you get as a gift for accomplishing a difficult task.

As for coveting the TAG, what can I say. If you want it that badly and IF you can afford it, then feel free to go for it. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SPEND HARD EARNED MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU CANNOT REALLY AFFORD. That, my friend, is the golden rule. Never forget it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 09:17 AM   #3
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Thanks Ed. Trust me, I can't afford that TAG yet. I'm going to try to save up for it. This is the watch. http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collecti...?w=WV2116.FC61 You know you can't deny that thing. Even if my parents did buy me a Rolex I would probably be really excited but yet really guilty feeling too because of all that money they spent. I may even feel so guilty I might would sell it and give them the money back. The good thing is, I don't have to worry about that any time soon.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 30 December 2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Spencer
"TRF" Member

I feel you buddy. I was in a similar situation about 4 years ago. When I graduated college and got into law school, I got a Breitling Crosswind Special as a congragulations gift.

After that momemt I was hooked on this whole "watch collecting" thing. Only about a year after I got the Breitling I bought a SS Submariner Date for myself, then followed by a Panerai a year later, and am now on the wait list for a SS Daytona.

We're starting young my friend, I turn 26 next month

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 09:22 AM   #5
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

I think I'm starting too young. I turn 15 in August.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 30 December 2005, 09:41 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Tyler,

I had a good long look at the Carrera you want and found it pretty attractive. But listen to Ed at the same time. He's given you very valuable advice. Buy it ony if you can genuinely afford it....otherwise just hold off until you are ready for the Sub.

Naturally, the Sub seems a long way off and if patience is not your forte, then you might just collect a few "mistakes" along the way! We don't want that, do we?

You are the best judge of your actions, Tyler. Good luck in your final decision.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 09:44 AM   #7
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the kind words JJ. I actually have good patience, I just figured it would be best to wait. You know? I'm going to wait and save up to get the TAG though. I'm determined to pay everything on this watch. If I don't quite have enough my parents will probably pick up the tax.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 30 December 2005, 09:50 AM   #8
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
I think I'm starting too young. I turn 15 in August.

Tyler

YIKES KID!!! YOU'RE CURSED

When I graduated HS I got a nice Tag Chronograpgh, I think it was a 6000 Quartz. It's good to have high hopes and goals like you, but the Rolexes and other luxury goods will come in time. Enjoy your youth and have fun, I promise the goods will follow

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 02:55 PM   #9
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
A very wise decision Tyler and I'm sure one you won't regret.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 04:40 PM   #10
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Ed's got a very good point, Tyler. It's good to have ambition, but a very valuable lesson to be learned at your age and held onto for the rest of your life is to always check and make sure you haven't overextended yourself.
Old 30 December 2005, 08:49 PM   #11
President Rolex
Banned

What are your college plans?
President Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 09:18 PM   #12
Vavoom
"TRF" Member

Tyler

I would suggest you keep adding to your watch fund and, avoid the Tag.
If you are set on buying I think your money would be better spent on a used Omega Sea Master Pro. If you take your time to search one out they can be found for 7-800 USD sometimes less. It is a quality piece that will hold it`s value. Almost every watch when purchased new will lose some of the original value, regardless of maker. Be smart let somebody else take the $$ hit you`ll get far more for your money. Get the brand new Sub to mark a milestone in your life.

Just my 2 cents

Vavoom
Vavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2005, 12:08 AM   #13
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Thanks Ed. Trust me, I can't afford that TAG yet. I'm going to try to save up for it. This is the watch. http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collecti...?w=WV2116.FC61 You know you can't deny that thing. Even if my parents did buy me a Rolex I would probably be really excited but yet really guilty feeling too because of all that money they spent. I may even feel so guilty I might would sell it and give them the money back. The good thing is, I don't have to worry about that any time soon.

Tyler
I can see why you like the TAG, Tyler. But a word of caution. The black dial on a chrono makes the hands very difficult to see. That was the mistake I made with my GP ww.tc. I loved the look of the black dial in the pictures, but when I got it and put it on, I found that I could not really see the subdial hands easily. So you could say that watch has been my costliest mistake.

I almost made the same mistake with a Breitling Olympus. When I was still in the looking stage, I tried a black dial one on at an AD. I was shocked at how difficult it was to read the subdials. That's why I waited for the white dial Olympus and I am very glad I did.

So before you buy, try. Find a black dial Carrera and try it on. Then find the silver dial flavor and try that. I think you might find the silver dial will be easier to read.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2005, 12:36 AM   #14
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Ooops, I linked a black dial chrono? I thought I linked the white dial Carerra Twin Time. It's the one on the brown croc strap. As far as I know my college plans are either Med school or Law school.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 31 December 2005, 12:47 AM   #15
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

I don't know if this is going to work but this is a picture of the watch. http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/produc...productid=1005 I'm obviously not getting it from there and that isn't the best picture, but it works.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 31 December 2005, 12:54 AM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes agree with Ed on the dial reading,Tyler a nice watch but think one of the Omega chronos would be a better buy over the Tag.The Aqua Terra or Broad Arrow and Speed Master IMO would be the better choice.But if I was you,keep saving for your Rolex,your Sieko will do you fine for the time being.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2005, 01:13 AM   #17
Atomic

Tyler, I'll say that you should avoid TAG Heuer as a brand. At least in the short term. While the watches are okay, you're paying a premium for their marketing budget.

If I were in your shoes, and I wanted to get quality auto watch (that can take the punishment a teenager will put it through) and you wanted something more than your Seiko, I'd go for a Tudor Aquanaut. Better bang for the buck, and it's in the Rolex family. Also, if you ever sell it (have to or want to) you'll get a better return on a Tudor than you'll ever get from any TAG Heuer product. My guess is the Tudor will last longer than the TAG too.

Just my two cents.
Old 31 December 2005, 02:33 AM   #18
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Hmmmm. Thanks for that advice Johnny. Is there anywhere to find a dealer locator for Tudor? What about a price list? For some reason I highly doubt that there is a dealer around here. I like the Prince Date Chonograph on a leather strap myself.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 31 December 2005, 02:37 AM   #19
Atomic

Quote:
Hmmmm. Thanks for that advice Johnny. Is there anywhere to find a dealer locator for Tudor? What about a price list? For some reason I highly doubt that there is a dealer around here. I like the Prince Date Chonograph on a leather strap myself.

Tyler
Sadly for you, there are no Tudor ADs in the USA at the moment. But you can get them online. An Aquanaut BNIB from an AD before discount goes for about CDN$2,300 but keep in mind Canada has insanely high import tariffs. You should be able to get a gently used one for around US1,000 easy.

The Prince Date Chrono prices vary widely but certainly offer excellent value for a chrono. Daren (dman) had one the year for a couple of months. He can give you insight.
Old 31 December 2005, 02:39 AM   #20
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Go figure no dealers in the US. Oh well, I'll check the webernet and see what it shows. Thanks for the advice.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 31 December 2005, 02:41 AM   #21
Atomic

Tudor should re-release in the US sometime over the next year or two. Rumour has it they're working on in-house movements (currently ETA and Valjoux powered), so when they have it all sorted, they'll release to the US market.

But Canada has lots of Tudor ADs, if you can get up this way. But I think the 'net is the best place to find good deals.
Old 31 December 2005, 02:49 AM   #22
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

I know how much you guys hate the Bay of Fleas, but what do you think about seeing what they have in Tudor? It's worth a shot.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 31 December 2005, 02:51 AM   #23
Atomic

Quote:
I know how much you guys hate the Bay of Fleas, but what do you think about seeing what they have in Tudor? It's worth a shot.

Tyler
Fleabay is okay so long as you buy the seller first. I'd also check TZ and WUS, or at least post that you're WTB and see what response you get. Also, if you're serious, there are enough guys here with connections who could likely help you out, as well.
Old 31 December 2005, 04:17 AM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
A nice pre Tiger Chrono is a great watch if you can find one,all Rolex oyster case.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2005, 06:30 AM   #25
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
You know this old '74-74 Omega 1045 Speedmaster at $650.00 is running better then any of my Rollies!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2005, 02:36 PM   #26
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Tyler,

There is a very nice Tag for sale in the sales section if that's your style... on the topic of the Rolex, I'm 33 and I've thought long and hard about my first one as well. I decided that I would wait until I had the entire amount in cash saved up to prove to myself that I really want this thing and thanx to Roger F I found the best deal in town... so it looks like January sometime will be the time for my first Rolex an SD... it feels much better to know I really want this thing and I won't regret settling for something a little or a lot less, but that is just my experience.
Good luck with your Tag though if that is what you really want, it looks like a beauty and you can always get any kind of watch you want down the road, you have a long life ahead of you my young friend!

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2006, 02:02 AM   #27
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Ok, ok. My brains have finally kicked in. They said to me "Self! You don't need another watch right now." So I'm going to buy a bracelet for the diver. I've wanted one for a while, and now I have the cash to get it so I'll probably place an order today if I can make it by the store.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 1 January 2006, 03:32 AM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Ok, ok. My brains have finally kicked in. They said to me "Self! You don't need another watch right now." So I'm going to buy a bracelet for the diver. I've wanted one for a while, and now I have the cash to get it so I'll probably place an order today if I can make it by the store.

Tyler
Good decision, young man!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote