The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 March 2012, 11:57 PM   #1531
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
As it is an annual calendar, not a perpetual calendar, it has to be reset once a year, as Fiery says, on March 1st. A perpetual calendar watch knows when leap years are and are amongst the most complex watches money can buy - they have to be adjusted only when a leap year is deleted, and that won't happen again until 2100 now. There are also semi-perpetual calendars where you have to adjust it once every leap year. Confused yet?

Chris
Chris- thank you for clarifying this. Some reviewers have characterized this calibre as a semi-perpetual, according to the characteristics you describe. In truth it is just an annual calendar. No small feat, but not what some people are describing. SO what is ROLEX claiming exactly about this movement, when they say it is unique in terms of the SAROS.

From what I read, SAROS is periodicity and recurrence of eclipses is governed by the Saros cycle, a period of approximately 6,585.3 days (18 years 11 days 8 hours). It was known to the Chaldeans as a period when lunar eclipses seem to repeat themselves, but the cycle is applicable to solar eclipses as well.

What does the new ROLEX calibre have to do with SAROS, when it has to be re-set once every 365 days?

Plesae excuse my ignorance….

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
Old 25 March 2012, 12:16 AM   #1532
Raulex
Banned

Annual, semi-perpetual or perpetual, no need to spend so much money just for that complication if the goal is to avoid resetting your watch.

Whatever automatic watch you buy you have to reset it twice a year for daylight saving time.

It's tomorrow, march 25, in Europe.
Old 26 March 2012, 05:40 AM   #1533
kayin
Banned

Watch: Speedy Apollo 11
New to this forum, as have always owned Omegas up until now, so please forgive what might be a really stupid question. Is it true that there is already a long waiting list for the new Submariner No Date (Basel 2012) and that there is no chance of any discount on it whatsoever ? (this is what local AD has told me). Thanks
Old 26 March 2012, 06:00 AM   #1534
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulex View Post
Annual, semi-perpetual or perpetual, no need to spend so much money just for that complication if the goal is to avoid resetting your watch.

Whatever automatic watch you buy you have to reset it twice a year for daylight saving time.
What if you live in Saskatchewan?
Old 27 March 2012, 07:41 AM   #1535
breanach78
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just A Few...
What, if any, info. can I get from a serial number and is there anyone that I can pm to get that info.? Many thanks!
Old 27 March 2012, 07:51 AM   #1536
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Thanks Chris for taking your time with this tread...52 pages is epic. Its time to make it sticky IMO
Old 27 March 2012, 08:31 AM   #1537
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewithabob View Post
Chris- thank you for clarifying this. Some reviewers have characterized this calibre as a semi-perpetual, according to the characteristics you describe. In truth it is just an annual calendar. No small feat, but not what some people are describing. SO what is ROLEX claiming exactly about this movement, when they say it is unique in terms of the SAROS.

From what I read, SAROS is periodicity and recurrence of eclipses is governed by the Saros cycle, a period of approximately 6,585.3 days (18 years 11 days 8 hours). It was known to the Chaldeans as a period when lunar eclipses seem to repeat themselves, but the cycle is applicable to solar eclipses as well.

What does the new ROLEX calibre have to do with SAROS, when it has to be re-set once every 365 days?

In Rolex Speak , Saros = Marketing
Old 27 March 2012, 11:23 AM   #1538
teamlam
"TRF" Member

question: bought a pre owned watch and it came with a warranty card. however, there is no AD stamp or a date...is this going to be a problem?
Old 27 March 2012, 01:59 PM   #1539
teamlam
"TRF" Member

to get the watch serviced since its gone past the warranty period?
Old 27 March 2012, 02:02 PM   #1540
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlam View Post
question: bought a pre owned watch and it came with a warranty card. however, there is no AD stamp or a date...is this going to be a problem?
Quote:
You do not need the card to get a service. Rolex will service without issues. Rolex wont honor the warranty since there is none. Depending on model probably around $600-700 USD without parts. If you have a Daytona maybe $100-200 more.
Old 29 March 2012, 06:46 AM   #1541
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewithabob View Post

Hi Bob,

I think that's a very interesting backstory on the history of Saros, I certainly didn't know that! However, from what I understand, the mechanism used for the date changing is inspired by the Saros cycle, but not directly linked per se. This is quoted from the Rolex website:

"The Greek term Saros has been used since antiquity to designate an astronomical cycle of alignment patterns between the Sun, the Earth and the Moon. This phenomenon inspired the design of the Sky-Dweller's annual calendar mechanism. The Saros system is designed around a fixed planetary gear wheel (equivalent to the Sun) at the centre of the movement. A satellite wheel (whose centre represents the Earth) engages with the planetary wheel and rotates, orbiting the planetary wheel in one month, driven by the date disc. The satellite wheel is fitted with four fingers (the Moon) for the four 30-day months (April, June, September and November). These fingers reach a specific position at the end of each month, and force the date to jump two days only in 30-day months. After one year, the system realigns to its original position, having completed a full Saros cycle."

I think it's a pretty cool way to explain what's going on inside the movement, although perhaps it could be argued its a little gimmicky. In any case, there is a video on the illustrate how the Saros system works on the Rolex website, might help to make it clearer. Some very clever gearing and engineering has been done with the Sky-Dweller

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 06:48 AM   #1542
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayin View Post
New to this forum, as have always owned Omegas up until now, so please forgive what might be a really stupid question. Is it true that there is already a long waiting list for the new Submariner No Date (Basel 2012) and that there is no chance of any discount on it whatsoever ? (this is what local AD has told me). Thanks
Not a stupid question at all! We certainly haven't had a big waiting list as of yet - I'm not even entirely sure we've got any names down at all right now. As for discount, that remains at the discretion of each individual AD, but as a general rule, unless you're a particularly good customer, I would think that discount is unlikely on a newly launched model, especially if there is high demand for it

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 06:50 AM   #1543
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breanach78 View Post
What, if any, info. can I get from a serial number and is there anyone that I can pm to get that info.? Many thanks!
Very little - only that the paperwork matches up to the watch in question, and a very rough (and often inaccurate) indication of when the case was stamped (not when the watch was assembled)

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 06:52 AM   #1544
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Thanks Chris for taking your time with this tread...52 pages is epic. Its time to make it sticky IMO
Thankyou Daniel - I'll leave that for the mods to decide, but I've been utterly thrilled by the response! Never thought it would be so popular - 3rd most replied to thread, and 5th most viewed (although neck and neck with "The Explorer II Enigma) in General Discussion. A thankyou is necessary to the the members of TRF who continue to ask me such interesting questions

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 06:53 AM   #1545
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
You do not need the card to get a service. Rolex will service without issues. Rolex wont honor the warranty since there is none. Depending on model probably around $600-700 USD without parts. If you have a Daytona maybe $100-200 more.
Couldn't have answered it better myself

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 07:28 AM   #1546
breanach78
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just A Few...
Quote:
Very little - only that the paperwork matches up to the watch in question, and a very rough (and often inaccurate) indication of when the case was stamped (not when the watch was assembled)

Hope this helps,

Chris
Many thanks! Like the others say super thread and a Great asset to have. Regard.
Old 29 March 2012, 07:39 AM   #1547
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breanach78 View Post
Many thanks! Like the others say super thread and a Great asset to have. Regard.
No problem, glad I could help!

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 07:46 AM   #1548
Bushbaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Submariner C
Buy in USA or England?

Hi Chris.

I'm not only new to this forum, I'm new to the world of Rolex.

I started up a new thread on this subject just before seeing your thread, but I would be keen to hear your views.

I've decided to buy a GMT Master. Haven't yet made up my mind between the Steel or the Bi-Metal model yet. I would be interested to hear your views.

Also, I'm off the to the States in December. I'm wondering whether the cost will be the same and whether there may be more of a selection? Should I wait to buy?

I see you're based here in England. I know you don't want to say publicly where you are based, but would you mind sending me a PM? I'm down here in Dorset. If you're not too far away, I could pay you a visit to get the benefit of your advice first hand. I'm so new to this.

Sorry if you've been asked this before but I didn't have time to read through your very popular thread.

Really appreciate all your efforts. You must be so dedicated to your job.
Old 29 March 2012, 09:07 AM   #1549
CAPDSSD

What's up with the changed avatar? (If you don't mind my asking.)
Old 29 March 2012, 09:34 AM   #1550
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Chris - just curious as to what you think of the 116231 TT DJ w/pink roman dial, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. I know everyone says "get what you like," but I respect your opinion on both the aesthetic and mechanical ends. I very much enjoy this thread, so thanks for sharing your incredible wealth of knowledge.

Regards,

Randy
Old 29 March 2012, 10:08 AM   #1551
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Chris, Mr. Marini, the Rolex CEO recently visited all three AD's in Minneapolis, doing the rounds. Has he visited your AD as yet?

Also, regarding pricing of new DJII steel, sounds like existing DJII's are going up, with DJII steel slotted at today's DJII steel and gold price point. Any info on how this will play out in your market? Thanks as always!
Old 29 March 2012, 10:15 AM   #1552
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPDSSD View Post
What's up with the changed avatar? (If you don't mind my asking.)
Not at all! I pulled this from an error page that came up on the BBC News website a while back, I burst out laughing when I saw it the first time. I fancied a change, and thought it might raise a laugh/disturb some folks Attached is the original error page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evil clown.jpg (43.0 KB, 419 views)
Old 29 March 2012, 10:18 AM   #1553
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
Chris - just curious as to what you think of the 116231 TT DJ w/pink roman dial, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. I know everyone says "get what you like," but I respect your opinion on both the aesthetic and mechanical ends. I very much enjoy this thread, so thanks for sharing your incredible wealth of knowledge.

Regards,

Randy
Hi Randy,

I'm personally a big fan of the steel and rose combination that Rolex uses - that rich colour has a real warmth to it, and certainly suits my skin tone better than yellow gold. The Jubilee bracelet/fluted bezel/Roman dial combination is an absolute classic, and will be a great dress piece. Mechanically, you've got the venerable cal. 3135 - not cutting edge, but a solid, dependable and reliable work horse movement that has served Rolex well for many years now. It's a winning recipe if you ask me

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 10:22 AM   #1554
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Chris, Mr. Marini, the Rolex CEO recently visited all three AD's in Minneapolis, doing the rounds. Has he visited your AD as yet?

Also, regarding pricing of new DJII steel, sounds like existing DJII's are going up, with DJII steel slotted at today's DJII steel and gold price point. Any info on how this will play out in your market? Thanks as always!
Hi Daniel,

Mr Marini hasn't visited us yet - it'd be quite something if he did drop in to say hello!

With regards to the DJ II, I can't say I've seen the new prices yet - have you seen the American prices yet, or have you converted straight from the price given in Euros? If it's the latter, then it probably incorporates VAT - as tax isn't factored into the US price, it distorts the price to an abnormally high level.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Old 29 March 2012, 12:52 PM   #1555
Catmonv
"TRF" Member

When that happens, Mr. Marini will say to you, You Are HIRED!
Old 30 March 2012, 12:12 AM   #1556
CAPDSSD

Quote:
I pulled this from an error page that came up on the BBC News website a while back
I'm glad I asked. Thanks.
Old 30 March 2012, 01:33 AM   #1557
oysterowl83
"TRF" Member

I would like to just add that Chris is a class act..We've been chatting about 'bits and bobs" for the past week or so, and the conversation is never dull, just like this thread will never be dull!

Cheers Chris!
Anth
Old 30 March 2012, 03:07 AM   #1558
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Not at all! I pulled this from an error page that came up on the BBC News website a while back, I burst out laughing when I saw it the first time. I fancied a change, and thought it might raise a laugh/disturb some folks Attached is the original error page
Your new avatar is freaking me out! Your old pirate was more mellow.
Old 2 April 2012, 06:00 PM   #1559
kdw15333
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris, I am very newvie to the forum and I am very excited to read all these fantastic stories. I currently have eye on 2012 Basel New ND Sub Ref.114060. I am just wondering how much it will cost in Australia? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 2 April 2012, 07:09 PM   #1560
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Rolex are always very, very quiet on whether a new watch is coming out - the standard answer is wait 'til Basel. As for my personal opinion, I think some kind of update is desperately needed for the 14060m - even if it was just putting a solid link bracelet w/ Glidelock. It is one of the more difficult sports watches to sell at present
Hi Chris,

Well we all should know the answer to this one by now but my questions are:

Is the old model still one of the more difficult to sell?

How long do you think we will continue to see the older model in the UK?

Has a price been set for the new model? I've read here that sub £5K is likely.

Realistically what price do you think the older model should be selling at now the new model is on route?

On a personal note which would you choose old v new model?

Thanks for taking the time and keep up the great work on this excellent thread.
Closed Thread