The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 October 2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Icon5 How do you know it's not stolen...?

I am considering a used Rolex purchase. Once I see the serial #, how would I find out if there's blood on it...Here's why I ask:

-I've read about the TRF member from South Africa who was robbed/beaten, and a recent mall store robbery in San Diego where the robbers walked away with Rolex watches.

-A local used watch store here in san diego told me that they had just received the GMTII coke bezel watch; They placed a 30 day hold on it while they checked with the Local Police. I called last week to inquire-- they told me that the watch was indeed stolen.
Old 3 October 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Bottem line. You don't know. Just be careful. Rolex will tell you at the first service if it is stolen. But by then it is too late.
Old 3 October 2011, 05:24 PM   #3
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
That's why you should buy from one of the trusted sellers here on TRF. DavidSW, Bobybump, Mosco, just to name a few
Old 3 October 2011, 05:34 PM   #4
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
There used to be a number you can call. Maybe someone will chime in with the number. You could probably just call Rolex and ask.
Old 3 October 2011, 08:24 PM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
Bottem line. You don't know. Just be careful. Rolex will tell you at the first service if it is stolen. But by then it is too late.
But that's only if it was reported to Rolex. This may not always be the case.

Buy only from people you can trust, and get the box and papers with the watch which isn't a guarantee but it makes it more likely it isn't stolen.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 3 October 2011, 08:48 PM   #6
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
I generally only buy with box and papers so unless some unfortunate person had it all packaged up and ready to go when the burglar or mugger struck, I should be pretty safe to assume mine are not lost or stolen.........
Old 3 October 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
humvee
Banned

I once called RSC in Dallas for the same issue. The lady told me there is no such thing as a stolen watch report that they keep.

It takes a lot of discipline to make sure that ever one see the same info. Example: An airline flight reservation system software, which is extremely complex. I bet Rolex does not have anything remotely close and as a result it is highly unlikely they can perform this check.

The stolen check by Rolex either happened when volume was too low and RSCs were not that numerous or it is entirely a myth created by people.
Old 3 October 2011, 09:12 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
I once called RSC in Dallas for the same issue. The lady told me there is no such thing as a stolen watch report that they keep.

It takes a lot of discipline to make sure that ever one see the same info. Example: An airline flight reservation system software, which is extremely complex. I bet Rolex does not have anything remotely close and as a result it is highly unlikely they can perform this check.

The stolen check by Rolex either happened when volume was too low and RSCs were not that numerous or it is entirely a myth created by people.
X2 And the amount of stolen Rolex in proportion to those sold each year is a very very very very very tiny amount.Afraid today the Rolex Internet hype and myths about Rolex watches in general,that every Rolex bought at say a non AD might be stolen.But just like the millions of other products you buy say second hand they could be stolen.But if you buy from any reliable sourse this very very very very very seldom happens.You are more likely to be struck by lightening that to buy a stolen watch from a reliable sourse.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 October 2011, 09:22 PM   #9
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Here in the Phils., we can have the watch's background checked but it only comes back as where and who the AD it was bought from and when so the source and age is identified. But if the watch was not reported stolen then it won't come back as stolen.

They take the watch for at least 2 weeks to check and hold. At times they call the registered owner in case the watch comes in and verify if stolen or to be ready to confront the bearer of the watch.

I think this was about 2 years back but now they just inform the registered owner but will not hold the watch for you.
Old 4 October 2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
More info please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
That's why you should buy from one of the trusted sellers here on TRF. DavidSW, Bobybump, Mosco, just to name a few
One more question, no disrespect intended, how do the trusted sellers guarantee that the watches they sell are not stolen. I see that some of these watches come from other countries, some not...? Where do the trusted sellers obtain their watches...?

I agree that that the box and papers help, I suppose a receipt in the name of the seller would be a near perfect scenario...
Old 4 October 2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Speed
"TRF" Member

This issue is not unique.

As was mentioned, any used piece of jewelry, camera / equipment, stereo, TV and watch...could be called into question.
Old 4 October 2011, 03:02 AM   #12
brandonsfl
Banned

I have purchased a couple of used Rolexes from a local jeweler / pawn shop. Both watches came with box but papers...both times I have taken them to AD just to verify authenticity and movement.

There is really no way to know 100% in my scenario if the were stolen. It is just comforting to know that by state mandate anyone that sells to pawn shops keeps copy of drivers's license of seller. I say buying from eBay or craigslist is even more da dangarous.
Old 4 October 2011, 03:28 AM   #13
Andelain
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing your 6......
This will only reach a small percentage of Rolex owners, but.....

On another forum that I've visited potential buyers post the serial #'s of something they're considering buying, but substituting X's for the last 2 of 3 digits. If someone thinks that item may have been stolen from them they PM the unposted #'s to the OP. A couple of stolen items have been recovered because of that.

Old 4 October 2011, 07:57 AM   #14
brownbear
"TRF" Member

Watch: it Bub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieone View Post
One more question, no disrespect intended, how do the trusted sellers guarantee that the watches they sell are not stolen. I see that some of these watches come from other countries, some not...? Where do the trusted sellers obtain their watches...?

I agree that that the box and papers help, I suppose a receipt in the name of the seller would be a near perfect scenario...
Good posting and good question.. I bought watches from Trusted sellers but how do they know?
Old 4 October 2011, 08:00 AM   #15
m_allie
Banned

Watch: Deepsea,Patek 5980
Buy new and have no worries
Old 4 October 2011, 08:14 AM   #16
jhupp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_allie View Post
Buy new and have no worries
What if it is something that can't be bought new? Like a red sub?
Old 4 October 2011, 08:16 AM   #17
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Buy the seller.
Old 4 October 2011, 08:21 AM   #18
matt4hand
Banned

Watch: Tramp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieone View Post
I am considering a used Rolex purchase. Once I see the serial #, how would I find out if there's blood on it...Here's why I ask:

-I've read about the TRF member from South Africa who was robbed/beaten, and a recent mall store robbery in San Diego where the robbers walked away with Rolex watches.

-A local used watch store here in san diego told me that they had just received the GMTII coke bezel watch; They placed a 30 day hold on it while they checked with the Local Police. I called last week to inquire-- they told me that the watch was indeed stolen.
You will never know for sure unless you buy new. If you are that worried I would recommend that route.

As for the high volume sellers on here there products are legit and mostly come from AD's. It has been asked before "where they get their products". They are not going to answer and I don't think they need to.

They have GREAT reputations as sellers and you will just need to trust their feedback from other buyers.

I would have no issues ordering from any of the individuals you mentioned.
Old 4 October 2011, 08:22 AM   #19
matt4hand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
Buy the seller.
X2, X3, X4
Old 4 October 2011, 08:59 AM   #20
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
X2 And the amount of stolen Rolex in proportion to those sold each year is a very very very very very tiny amount.Afraid today the Rolex Internet hype and myths about Rolex watches in general,that every Rolex bought at say a non AD might be stolen.But just like the millions of other products you buy say second hand they could be stolen.But if you buy from any reliable sourse this very very very very very seldom happens.You are more likely to be struck by lightening that to buy a stolen watch from a reliable sourse.
Padi

I agree with what you say. But, there's always a but, most other pre-owned items one purchases - that cannot be verified as not stolen - cost a lot less and will not be confiscated when serviced if they are stolen merchandise.

Most vendors do not keep a stolen database. Rolex does and Rolex should, IMO, share such data for a fee.

That is why I prefer papers. Does it guarantee not stolen? No but it adds another layer of safety. And, yes papers can be fake.

Old 4 October 2011, 09:53 AM   #21
NeedHelp
"TRF" Member

Stolen Rolex

Speaking as a Detective, the watch must first be reported stolen and the serial number given to the police for NCIC entry. Once the item be it a watch, car, gun and so on are entered NCIC with their serial number, any law enforcement officer can conduct a check on the item which is very simple. The problem we as law enforcement run into the most are people reporting items stolen but not recording the serial number so we can enter it as such. The watch or other item could be stolen but w/o the serial number provided to law enforcement it is very hard to impossible to prove the item is stolen if it is later located. I am sure any police officer would be happy to check the watch for you and could most likely be done over the phone with an officer if you can provide them with the serial number.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old 4 October 2011, 11:31 AM   #22
Robwilliams
Banned

Who cares if it is stolen, anyway. If the price is right and you like the watch, buy it and just don't ever send it to the RSC. Find a certified Rolex watchmaker when you need service. They never check the numbers.
Old 4 October 2011, 11:41 AM   #23
matt4hand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwilliams View Post
Who cares if it is stolen, anyway. If the price is right and you like the watch, buy it and just don't ever send it to the RSC. Find a certified Rolex watchmaker when you need service. They never check the numbers.
I would care if it was stolen very much. Something BAD BAD BAD about that.

I've had things stolen from me and if I could find those SOB's I'd go DEXTER on them!
Old 4 October 2011, 12:00 PM   #24
Andelain
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing your 6......
Quote:
Are you serious???

Old 4 October 2011, 12:10 PM   #25
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:
Who cares if it is stolen, anyway. If the price is right and you like the watch, buy it and just don't ever send it to the RSC.
That is sociopathic talk.

Old 4 October 2011, 01:08 PM   #26
Xander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bleh. That's just bad karma.
Old 4 October 2011, 02:39 PM   #27
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
Quote:
Buying stolen goods is stealing as well!
Partner in crime !

Last edited by firstOwatch; 4 October 2011 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Add on
Old 4 October 2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Say what!?
Old 4 October 2011, 04:51 PM   #29
blackmsport
Banned

you will never know without paper and from unknown seller
Old 31 October 2011, 08:57 AM   #30
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstOwatch View Post

Buying stolen goods is stealing as well!
Partner in crime !

not if you dont know. if you buy a watch no box or papers....what then?
its yours, you paid for it fair and square, hoping its not stolen. some ppl dont have boxes and papers...doesnt mean its stolen, but if it is. id rathenr not risk sending it to the RSC
Closed Thread