The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 February 2014, 05:04 AM   #1
slm9555
"TRF" Member

ATT Uverse for TV?

I am thinking about making the switch from cable (Cox) to ATT Uverse for my TV needs.

I just switched my internet from Cox to Webpass. Cox recently raised their prices so I was paying $74/month for a 50 meg cable connection. Now with Webpass.net I am paying $500/year for a 200meg connection.

I currently have two HD boxes (non dvr) with Cox with the advanced TV package and sports package. With their new pricing it comes out to $103/month.

I would like your opinion on getting the Uverse U450 package for my TV needs. It is more pricy at $132 month (including an additional receiver), however the first 6 months are discounted to $99 and I will be getting a $125 gift card. The U450 package will give me practically every channel so I feel it is a good value. How does Uverse picture quality compare to Cox cable?

My overall goals are either to reduce my monthly internet/tv bill or to get a lot more for my money. With Cox my internet + cable came out to $175/month. Now with Webpass ($500/12) and U450 ($132) I am still around the same monthly total but getting a lot more for my money. Will I be happy with Uverse for my TV needs?
slm9555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 06:04 AM   #2
b06tmm
"TRF" Member

I have a friend that has Uverse and she really likes it, although she has the DSL internet included. I've been there for football games and whatnot and the picture is crystal clear.
b06tmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2014, 02:14 PM   #3
slm9555
"TRF" Member

Anyone else have Uverse TV here?
Old 21 February 2014, 02:31 PM   #4
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Ive had it for five years.....ATT sucks but all cable TV companies suck.
I had a nightmare trying to get them to switch to a cheaper plan.....every month I would call them and "suppose" to change it .....next month I would get the bill and nothing was done....and they NEVER send a bill till its past due. This went on for 4 months till I bitched enough that I got free HD and DVR and discount for a year plus a 100 dollar visa card.
Was paying 180 a month with internet and now 102 a month
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2014, 03:26 PM   #5
brianrx74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I've had Uverse for a year and no problems. The HDTV is good and the internet is reliable. I had a promotional rate for the first year and got them to renew it when I told them I was thinking of canceling. Competition is a good thing.
brianrx74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2014, 03:30 PM   #6
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I love ATT Uverse. Better than any cables I've had in the past. My brother on the other, had bad luck. He's replaced the main box 3x in a year period.
bungcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2014, 03:36 PM   #7
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
I had ATT Uverse several years ago. The problem I had is that they offered so many channels, and the selection of one channel to another had a short delay- so clicking through lots of channels with a "slow turning nob" so to speak was too much.

Then, I canceled cable and got a Roku. Now I don't pay any cable, and I am happy to find something to watch via Hulu or Netflix for a grand total of 15 dollars per month....
Give it a try, then use the money you save to buy more watches...!
Old 22 February 2014, 04:43 AM   #8
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
I've got it now. After the 1 year promo, the price when up about $75/month. So much for reneg. for a better deal. I am satisfied with the picture quality however.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 05:58 AM   #9
Lisa
"TRF" Member

We got Uverse last year for our internet, phones and TV. Like it fine, though I think it's expensive. Plus we've had a few technical problems with the lines in our neighborhood so we've had to go without service for a few days. Sucked to have no computer, phone OR television at the same time.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 07:26 AM   #10
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
We got Uverse last year for our internet, phones and TV. Like it fine, though I think it's expensive. Plus we've had a few technical problems with the lines in our neighborhood so we've had to go without service for a few days. Sucked to have no computer, phone OR television at the same time.
That's a BIG problem with it....we have TV and internet with ATT and use cell phones but if the box goes out.....no TV or internet....and its happened to us several times. We have the U-300 HD package and High speed internet for about 100 bucks a month...still to expensive
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 08:19 AM   #11
slm9555
"TRF" Member

Well I will be getting the U450 installed in the next hour or so. I hope I am satisfied with it. I live in a 43 story condo building built in 2008 if that makes any difference.
Old 22 February 2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm9555 View Post
Well I will be getting the U450 installed in the next hour or so. I hope I am satisfied with it. I live in a 43 story condo building built in 2008 if that makes any difference.
You should love it mate...U450 is the king!

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 09:15 AM   #13
slm9555
"TRF" Member

Well so far the tech says he will only be about 30 minutes late past the 2 hour window they gave me!
Old 22 February 2014, 12:29 PM   #14
texex91
"TRF" Member

All providers are terrible--Time Warner, AT&T, etc. Here in Austin, Google is coming to town and I can't wait. 1GB internet and TV.

Uverse when I had it would always freeze. Had to change equipment every 3-4 months. Hated it.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 02:56 PM   #15
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
It's a little known fact that not all HD channels are created equal. In a race to offer more HD channels, many providers are over compressing their video in order to fit more channels within the same spectrum. This is true of every DBS and cable company. FiOS and Uverse have more available bandwidth so their picture qualities are often better.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 05:09 PM   #16
slm9555
"TRF" Member

ATT Uverse for TV?

So far so good. I do think the picture quality might be slightly lesser than my previous cox cable but can't say for sure yet. For Internet I have a 200/200meg fiber connection.

Here is a little action shot
Old 23 February 2014, 01:36 PM   #17
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I have U Verse (since 2008) and it has been pretty good and reliable. They try and increase your charges at renewal time, but will negotiate to lower charges.

The internet side is very reliable and will likely be more reliable than a cable company (Comcast, COX, Time Warner, etc) due to the architectural differences of the networks involved.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 03:34 AM   #18
slm9555
"TRF" Member

So I like the services so far, the guide and user interfaces are really nice along with the channel selection. However, I can say for sure that the picture quality is noticeably lesser than my previous Cox Cable :(
Old 24 February 2014, 05:30 AM   #19
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I like it so far.

We hat TWC for 13 years and I made the switch last year in August.

I think we have the U450? The one with all the channels.

The internet is a bit slower than TWC because my location is pretty far from the node but I had not really seen any impact on my day to day usage. The only way I know that it's slower is if I run a speed test on it.

I like being able to control the DVR from anywhere and I like being able to watch TV on my iPad from anywhere in the US. Being able to record in one room and watch it everywhere else in the house is nice as well and with the wireless receivers you can take your TV outside or in the garage if you are so inclined and watch it there since there are no cables to connect. i never use that feature though but I can see it come in handy if you want to rearrange your house and move the TV somewhere else. There would be no need to get a cable outlet installed.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote