The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 21 June 2024, 02:49 AM   #1
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Possible Scam Alert!

I just received a PM from member Mike Rupley, asking me to send him my email address, so he can send me a pic of a ladies dress watch he is selling. Upon checking his profile, he just joined, and has 3 posts. Has anyone else received this PM? I simply answered that I am not interested in ladies’ watches. Keep your heads on a swivel, guys…

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:52 AM   #2
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I just received a PM from member Mike Rupley, asking me to send him my email address, so he can send me a pic of a ladies dress watch he is selling. Upon checking his profile, he just joined, and has 3 posts. Has anyone else received this PM? I simply answered that I am not interested in ladies’ watches. Keep your heads on a swivel, guys…

Kat

Wow, crazy!
Old 21 June 2024, 04:36 AM   #3
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Thanks for the info
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 04:48 AM   #4
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Notify one of the mods?
Old 21 June 2024, 04:49 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thanks for the heads up Kat.

Please notify the mods if you haven’t already
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:18 AM   #6
KatGirl

I don’t really know who the mods are, except for one, and let’s just say he’s not my biggest fan. They should see this post, though. I think I also told this Mike guy, that I don’t know him, so would not forward any personal info. I get a lot of PMs, but from people I feel like are my buddies here. It could be perfectly innocent. I answered one of his posts, trying to be helpful, so maybe that’s why he singled me out. Perhaps he thinks I could help him identify, or authenticate his watch, but I’m no expert. I just found his message odd.

Kat

Old 21 June 2024, 05:35 AM   #7
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Thanks for the heads-up
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:42 AM   #8
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
I got someone trying to buy watches from me, I just ignore. Thanks for the heads up Kat.
Old 21 June 2024, 05:45 AM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Good call Kat,

Shocking that some people fall for this nonsense. Rats.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 12:35 PM   #10
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Quote:
I don’t really know who the mods are, except for one, and let’s just say he’s not my biggest fan. They should see this post, though. I think I also told this Mike guy, that I don’t know him, so would not forward any personal info. I get a lot of PMs, but from people I feel like are my buddies here. It could be perfectly innocent. I answered one of his posts, trying to be helpful, so maybe that’s why he singled me out. Perhaps he thinks I could help him identify, or authenticate his watch, but I’m no expert. I just found his message odd.

Kat

Kat,

When you're looking at a private message, look in the upper right-hand corner. You will see a red triangle with an exclamation point inside of it. Click on that, and the message will be reported to the moderators. You don't need to choose a moderator.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 12:49 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Or just press the red triangle, bottom left, on any post.

I though this was common knowledge after 12 years.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 01:12 PM   #12
Ukkanhifi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Or just press the red triangle, bottom left, on any post.

I though this was common knowledge after 12 years.
It is not. As a relatively new member I have never noticed the red triangle. Learned something new. Thanks.
Ukkanhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 01:17 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukkanhifi View Post
It is not. As a relatively new member I have never noticed the red triangle. Learned something new. Thanks.
Then as a visitor you could read the TRF rules before you post.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...58&postcount=1

11. Click on the red triangle icon to report suspicious & scam activity as well as rules violations. It’s fine to start a thread on these reports but first and foremost report by clicking on the red triangle. This icon is also present in private messages to report suspicious activity and or rules violations within a private message. This report is automatically sent to all moderators.

12. The report button (red triangle) is only to be used for reporting abusive, insulting or troll posts, guns, politics or scams, and is not for reporting posts that you disagree with, content that you don’t like, or other pet peeves. In other words, mods are not on call to tailor forum content to your liking via the report button. Repeated overuse of the report button may earn infraction points.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:11 PM   #14
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Kat unbelievable
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:30 PM   #15
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:

Kat

I’ve moved this thread into the ‘Watchout’ section of the forum, due to its content.
As a couple members had mentioned Kat, the red triangle is to report suspect/abusive posts, and goes straight to the moderation panel for review. We (mod team), can act upon these things far quicker that way, as we don’t individually all read the entire forum a to z everyday.
As for who the moderators are. If you go to the TRF homepage, then scroll to the bottom of the sub forums list view, you see a bold italics “View Forum Leaders”. Click that for a list of current moderation team.

Thanks for alerting the community.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:35 PM   #16
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
I’ve moved this thread into the ‘Watchout’ section of the forum, due to its content.
As a couple members had mentioned Kat, the red triangle is to report suspect/abusive posts, and goes straight to the moderation panel for review. We (mod team), can act upon these things far quicker that way, as we don’t individually all read the entire forum a to z everyday.
As for who the moderators are. If you go to the TRF homepage, then scroll to the bottom of the sub forums list view, you see a bold italics “View Forum Leaders”. Click that for a list of current moderation team.

Thanks for alerting the community.

Thanks for this info. I was unaware we could report PMs,as they are private, by nature.

Kat

Old 21 June 2024, 02:44 PM   #17
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I was unaware we could report PMs,as they are private, by nature.

Kat

Yes, top right for the triangle in PM’s, and in posts, triangle is in the members name box.
PM’s are indeed private, until reported. You’ll only ever need to divulge a PM if it’s untoward in nature, so privacy is no longer an issue at that point.
All good.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:50 AM   #18
CARMAC
"TRF" Member

Icon4 I got scammed

I purchased a watch from a TRF member(since 2009). I responded to the classified posted by painexpert (BOYCE LANGFORD), for a Explorer II. I wired the money last week and he said he shipped the watch. He supposed used USPS priority mail.
I checked the tracking slip he provided and the USPS website said a label had been created but not entered into the system. He argued that he went just minutes before they close the store. He even sent me a fake USPS email reply. Told him I was upset and he said that it would just show up. Also he even seemed offended that I wasn´t trusting him, saying that it was like a slap in his face that I thought that.
So I have now contacted USPS and they confirmed it was not entered into the USPS system and they did not have the package.
The ad is still up and not indicted sold and also has another ad selling a DateJust. He now not respond to my email's.
CARMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 11:22 AM   #19
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARMAC View Post
I purchased a watch from a TRF member(since 2009). I responded to the classified posted by painexpert (BOYCE LANGFORD), for a Explorer II. I wired the money last week and he said he shipped the watch. He supposed used USPS priority mail.
I checked the tracking slip he provided and the USPS website said a label had been created but not entered into the system. He argued that he went just minutes before they close the store. He even sent me a fake USPS email reply. Told him I was upset and he said that it would just show up. Also he even seemed offended that I wasn´t trusting him, saying that it was like a slap in his face that I thought that.
So I have now contacted USPS and they confirmed it was not entered into the USPS system and they did not have the package.
The ad is still up and not indicted sold and also has another ad selling a DateJust. He now not respond to my email's.
that sucks but the guy only has 1 review in the who's who section 14 years ago and his name was stated to be Robert there. now it's apparently Boyce? red flag #1. red flag #2 would be only 1 review 14 years ago. unfortunate but you have to buy the seller, a quick search would've saved you here sadly
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:56 AM   #20
CARMAC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
that sucks but the guy only has 1 review in the who's who section 14 years ago and his name was stated to be Robert there. now it's apparently Boyce? red flag #1. red flag #2 would be only 1 review 14 years ago. unfortunate but you have to buy the seller, a quick search would've saved you here sadly
Thanks, you are right about it. I saw that review you mention and ask for reference to him and he did reply with two references (might be some other scammers) that vouch him. This was my first time buying here and sadly the last one, lesson lerned.
CARMAC is offline   Reply With Quote