The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2024, 08:22 PM   #1
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

5164A vs 5164G WR

Perhaps a watch nerd thing but I note my 5164A has a WR of 120m. I see the 5164G has a WR of 30m.

Does anyone know what is driving this difference? Is it simply that they are using different gaskets or is it a structural case design change. Or is it simply no difference but they are just being more conservative with the depth rating?

If I send my 5164A in for a service will it come back rated at 120m or will it also go down to 30m?

And is it just me but how do you take a watch named an Aquanaut and make it at best at swim only watch? That’s like Rolex taking a submariner and reducing the water resistance to 50m or something. It just doesn’t make sense!

Greg
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 09:59 PM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

It's new from last Watches & Wonders announcements. They changed the way they display their WR standards. It seems that the watchs' design remain the same (gasket, seals, etc...). Still not 100% clear. And WR display policies evolve more or less from a brand to the other.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 10:42 PM   #3
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
watch design is the exact same. 30M water resistance now means exactly that. It's still just as capable as it ever was
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 10:55 PM   #4
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think it was a bad call by Patek to do this—one justification they listed was that actual use was around 30M max anyway. But that still doesn’t mean that it’s a reason to change the rating. I’m sure the actual use for a submariner is the same.

What this really suggests to me is that Patek’s sports watches weren’t really 12 bar. And they probably were getting water damages pieces. So now they’ll just lower the rating to reflect their own engineering after the fact. What I really am skeptical of is the notion that their 3 bar Calatrava, Complications, and Grand Complications will fare well at 20M. But I guess Patek can assume most people won’t submerge anyway given the leather strap.

My guess is that when you send for service it will now be tested only for 3 bar.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 01:22 AM   #5
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
I think it was a bad call by Patek to do this—one justification they listed was that actual use was around 30M max anyway. But that still doesn’t mean that it’s a reason to change the rating. I’m sure the actual use for a submariner is the same.

What this really suggests to me is that Patek’s sports watches weren’t really 12 bar. And they probably were getting water damages pieces. So now they’ll just lower the rating to reflect their own engineering after the fact. What I really am skeptical of is the notion that their 3 bar Calatrava, Complications, and Grand Complications will fare well at 20M. But I guess Patek can assume most people won’t submerge anyway given the leather strap.

My guess is that when you send for service it will now be tested only for 3 bar.
Actual submariner are used in the water, including surfing. I see numerous variants including my bluesy. Yet to see PP in the similar circumstances
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 03:38 AM   #6
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Actual submariner are used in the water, including surfing. I see numerous variants including my bluesy. Yet to see PP in the similar circumstances
I get your point that a sub is more likely at the beach than a Patek. But how many people are using a sub at 300m? Or even 100m? It's probably rarely used below 100 feet (I'll give you that surfing or waterskiing might require more than 3 bar). But people I know that dive would use a dive computer when diving, and that's what many people say here.

Many people leave their Rolex at home and wear a Seiko or no watch to the beach. And the Rolex's greatest threat is from the scuff from the laptop.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 05:32 AM   #7
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
watch design is the exact same. 30M water resistance now means exactly that. It's still just as in-capable as it ever was
Fixed that for you
Funny how Patek fanboys try to turn this farce into a positive: “now they are advertising the real water resistance”. Of course, that means that they have been lying for decades.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 08:09 AM   #8
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
I get your point that a sub is more likely at the beach than a Patek. But how many people are using a sub at 300m? Or even 100m? It's probably rarely used below 100 feet (I'll give you that surfing or waterskiing might require more than 3 bar). But people I know that dive would use a dive computer when diving, and that's what many people say here.

Many people leave their Rolex at home and wear a Seiko or no watch to the beach. And the Rolex's greatest threat is from the scuff from the laptop.
I think the finer point is that Rolex can be trusted to whatever degree of exposure u choose to take it; PP produces no such watches…
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 10:47 AM   #9
key
"TRF" Member

Even as a long time Patek fan, this just seems like Patek is laying the groundwork for future cost cutting measures.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 01:57 PM   #10
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
watch design is the exact same. 30M water resistance now means exactly that. It's still just as capable as it ever was
Are you able to explain this a bit more please? I thought 120m water resistance meant exactly that? Or didn't it? I'm not sure I understand.
Old 20 May 2024, 01:58 PM   #11
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the finer point is that Rolex can be trusted to whatever degree of exposure u choose to take it; PP produces no such watches…
I hear you. But then don't call it an aquanaut in my opinion. Call it a handwashnaut. lol
Old 20 May 2024, 11:54 PM   #12
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No question about that, this is why there is Rolex and then everybody else.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 07:00 AM   #13
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Both my Aquanauts and Nautilus have been down to 35 meters many times. Deep enough for me and I certainly don't hesitate to go swimming, do water sports etc. with them.

Seems like this was not well handled by Patek but I'm sure the watches are as water capable as ever.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 10:08 PM   #14
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Got ahead of Tim Mosso who is addressing this in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/live/H6V0nGi...rBR7sgabFYeR2g