The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2024, 10:54 AM   #31
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Way over thinking it. Simply say you are no longer interested and move on. Sounds like your desires have changed so you’re not buying a new piece anytime soon and there will be an entirely new market when you are ready again. Enjoy your current pieces.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:11 AM   #32
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
OP, follow your instincts. Not prudent to spend your money when it is not 100% making sense to you. You’re talking serious coin.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:50 AM   #33
APhound
"TRF" Member

Many times I’ve spent all my money and sometimes even more than I have on a watch and never regretted it. Part of the rush! You’ll recover in a couple months.
If you pass, you’re a responsible guy and I’m sure you can buy it from a grey dealer if you regret passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 01:31 PM   #34
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
My thoughts:

-If you can afford it at $14k, you can afford it at $19k, but since you are hesitant that tells me you aren't in love with it. I'd pass. Everybody has a price at which a specific watch is not worth it, and it seems like this watch has crossed that line for you.

-I would not say a word about not flipping it. This lets them know you are aware of that universe.

-I would not say a word about your finances or affordability.

-Tell them 3 years have gone by, you spent the weekend looking at pictures, and you have chosen to build your collection in a different direction. Have 1-2 other references ready to tell them that you'd prefer to have.

They are used to people turning down watches all the time. It's hard to have that kind of money just ready to go at a moment's notice.

All good points.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 03:43 PM   #35
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
If you need the money flip it towards your ‘priorities’. You waited 3 years for it. It’s just a watch. Either pass on it, keep it, or flip it. Just dont tell your AD if you decide to flip it lol.
Seddyspaghetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 04:54 PM   #36
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Three years is a long time. Around the same time you joined the TRF forum so by by now you’ve read many many times that TT watches are undesirable. The CHNR is the only borderline TT but even now it’s getting old and has lost its luster.

I would pass.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 05:26 PM   #37
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
There is no reputation to be lost only your own money. Do what’s right for you.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 05:58 PM   #38
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Only because it’s been brought up…….

I’m not sure it really could be flipped for a profit if purchased for almost 19k euros. A seller with no solid references is not getting top dollar in a market that is already waning from peak.

I say you request a steel GMT or ExpII OP. Both GREAT watches that fall more in line with your budget.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 06:06 PM   #39
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Pass
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 06:38 PM   #40
warningshots
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for all your advices! This community is legendary!
warningshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 07:13 PM   #41
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Do you think it hurts my reputation if I don’t pick up this watch?

They will remove you from their list. Your decision. If you don't need/want the watch don't worry about it.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 07:41 PM   #42
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by warningshots View Post
I got my first Rolex 4 years ago, which I’m still wearing every single day. About 1 year later after I picked up my first watch, I signed up for a second watch, which was the GMT Master CHNR. So, after 3 years of waiting I got the call from my AD, but unfortunately my circumstances and priorities have changed since then. I was very surprised when they called me, I was pretty sure that they completely forgot about my request, but on Friday I got the call, the lady was super nice, she asked if I’m still interested and she apologised that it took 3 years for them to get the watch for me. I was very surprised, but I said I’m still interested, but I’d like to think on it during the weekend. She said it’s not a problem at all, they’ll call me again on Tuesday or Wednesday. I told her, that I don’t need that much time, so I’ll call them on Monday about my decision.

After we hang up the call, she sent me t a text message with all the details and price. And I just realized that even the retail price increased from like 14K to 19K during these 3 years and this is unfortunately too much money for me for a watch at the moment. I'm probably couldn't spend that amount of money comfortably on any watch and also I wouldn't wear it comfortably, my spending limit is somewhere around 14K. So I just feel I'm priced out and although I have the funds, so I could pay for it, but my priorities are different at the moment.

I know I could pick up the watch and sell it for like 2K profit, but I’m not that type of guy (these guys are the reason why I had to wait like 3 years for this watch, so I don’t want to do this).

And lthough I wouldn’t spend 19K for a watch comfortably, I’d like to add a new watch soon to my collection, but not in this price range anymore. I really like the two-tone Rolexes, but I just feel priced out at the current prices.

Do you think it hurts my reputation if I don’t pick up this watch? I’m just afraid that they’ll completely ban me from any future waitlist requests if I say “no” this time. I’m also not sure what should I tell her, I just feel a little bit shameful and I’m not sure if they’ll take me seriously next time. I was thinking on that I’ll be honest and tell her, that „the retail price went up that much, that I wouldn’t comfortably spend this amount at the moment and although I could buy it and flip it for a profit, I’d like if someone else could enjoy it. And I just really hope that my decision doesn’t affects any future purchase opportunities.”

What do you think about it? Do you have any experiences with similar, like you didn’t pick up the watch and successfully got another watch later from the same AD?

Thanks in advance!

3 years of waiting for a rootbeer? Nothing to worry about, decline and change AD ;-)
Old 24 June 2024, 07:59 PM   #43
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I've just looked on Crono 24. New unworn CHNR is £100 above list price.

So they are readily available and if you flip (and I appreciate you don't want to) you'll be in negative territory.

If it's too much, and it is a lot of money, you've still got a great watch to wear!
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 08:03 PM   #44
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

They are pretty available now, flippers are probably passing, and ADs struggling to find buyers. That may be why they are now calling you. Not because it is finally your turn, but because they are not able to find another buyer.
Do not feel guilty.
You could always tell them you would take it at the price it was selling for when you registered your interest :).

Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 08:13 PM   #45
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I've passed on watches with ADs before and it didn't hurt my future requests.
Just be honest with them.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 08:14 PM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d never buy a watch out of a feeling of obligation to an AD. I know that’s not what you said, but maybe I’m feeling a bit of that vibe in your OP?

I’d pass, and buy something at a price point and at a time that works best for you.

You won’t enjoy the watch if you feel guilty about what you spent or if timing isn’t right
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 08:20 PM   #47
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Buy what you want, don't buy what you don't want. If you're worried about your "reputation", better to be perceived as someone who knows their own mind. Perhaps asking the AD will give you a more accurate answer?

I have been on the end of price rises while waiting. Many of us have. It's something I take into account when waiting and so far it hasn't killed it. In 2019 my AD discounted a TT Sub back to the MSRP when I asked for it but those days have gone.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 09:58 PM   #48
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
This is really about the money. If the watch was still 14k I would assume that you would get it and enjoy it. But at 19k you think it is too much and are backing up. This is really about you and what you find comfortable with spending and watches. Not a problem but see it for what it is. Your finances are your own but you say that you can pay for it if you so choose. I have all kinds of assets, real estate, vehicles, jewelry, watches, art and cash just to mention the bigger ones. Why not look at this watch as an asset that you can wear and enjoy and if needed, could be moved for any reason you choose for cash or another watch or watches. I would at least go in and try the watch on and see if it works for you. If it does then buy it and enjoy it. If not, then pass and ask for a model that you would like now. Don't mention the price, no one likes a tire kicker. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by 1William; 24 June 2024 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 10:06 PM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
3 years? Don't sweat it, I signed up for a couple of watches 3 months ago and already I have forgotten what one of them was... well shows I'm not really interested any more.

I think of it like an ebay auction, you have a price limit and then you put it in and are winning and then in the last few moments a rival comes in with a bid higher and you have a few seconds to decide do you go higher as you really want the item come what may or do you pass, that decision in the heat of battle is usually the right one for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 10:08 PM   #50
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP 39, GRNR, SeaQ
If you’re not in the position to buy right now then that’s the right decision. It’s possible that you might lose some credibility with the AD but that’s no reason to get something you can’t afford at the moment.

Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 10:19 PM   #51
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

You possibly were not the first, second, third, forth etc etc person called about the watch. ADs are struggling to shift a few Rolex models at the moment [ Although I didn't think that was one of them to be honest ]. I doubt if you will "damage your relationship". A good friend of mine declined a Rolex last September from his AD and he was called last month about another watch he had mentioned to them and picked it up the following week, new at RRP. I also have declined a Roley from a south coast AD [ White dialled OP ] and then subsequently have been called about another watch. I was honest and upfront , just explained when I tried it on that it just didn't sit well on my wrist and he just explained the "next guy on his list would be delighted" .... we left on very good terms.
JonnyOld Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 10:54 PM   #52
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Three years to wait and receive a watch is totally crazy IMO. You have absolutely no obligation to buy this watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:48 PM   #53
slillestrand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
Be honest with fewer words when you talk to them and politely thank them for the call, but you have to pass....they really do not need the details nor are they looking for them.

On selling in secondary market......In my opinion many of these grey sellers make it look easier than it really is. I think the watch is even money at best after all of the work it takes to do it well. There is zero profit to be missed so I'd not look at that angle.

I'd not spend any amount of money on anything unless I really wanted it.

Best
Scott
slillestrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:52 PM   #54
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
As others have said, politely pass

You should absolutely be in love with it to spend the $
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:09 AM   #55
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
It's OK to pass. But if you have the fund available, go for it because you may regret later down the road.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:08 AM   #56
IGY
"TRF" Member

If you can't afford the new price, of course pass. This should not even be a question for you.

As for the dealer, just be polite and thank them for the offer. After a three year wait, many of the customers that they are calling will have either already gotten the watch from elsewhere, bought an alternative or had their circumstances change. Any reasonable sales person will understand that so long as you are polite.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:40 AM   #57
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

A few ways to look at this.

Buy once, cry once. If you like it then get it. It will only go up in price.

If it’s not totally what you wan then politely decline and maybe mention the price increase over 3 put this out of your budget but that you would interested in another specific watch and let them know what that is then and there.

No wrong answer. Nothing wrong with keeping 19K in your pocket. Best to you!
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:44 AM   #58
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Simple answer. Don’t buy it. Nothing wrong with that.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:50 AM   #59
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Aren’t they below retail these days? Not sure if a quick 2k profit is possible on this model anymore

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:53 AM   #60
rockysw
"TRF" Member

think about what is best for you, and not about the AD. If the AD cared that much about you they would have called 3 years ago.

Btw I am not sure you can flip it for profit, secondary market prices are down quite significantly. Other members may know more.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote