The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 June 2024, 05:49 AM   #1
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
AD’s attitudes

Is there anyone sick of the attitude of AD’s, trying to make you bend over backwards to buy any watches? Rolex AD’s have terrible customer experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stebinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 05:53 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
AD’s attitudes

Complaining about it doesn’t accomplish anything so I just walked away and found a different AD that treated me better. No complaints at all with my current. Stellar service.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 05:53 AM   #3
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
To be honest, no ..
I’m lucky, I have a fantastic AD, told her from day one I only want to buy the watches I’m after, no jewellery and if that was an issue then tell me.
I’ve had Submariners, GMTs and Daytona.
Lucky, maybe, honest - yes …
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 05:58 AM   #4
OTX
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, that’s the way it is right now due to increased demand. That’s why the gray market exists. Straight to the point without all the BS. If you are willing to play the games, you might end up saving yourself thousands. You just have to ask yourself if it’s worth it. Even then you’re not guaranteed to get what you want!.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 05:59 AM   #5
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

I have bought 4 rolex over the years, get them all serviced, went in last weel to get wifes watch serviced and asked about a datejust 41 for my upcoming big birthday, the sales lady basically said no chance you
Need to build “relationship”. Its a joke, so never going back

Old 14 June 2024, 06:06 AM   #6
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Which AD are you using?
nighthawk77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:10 AM   #7
Bob-a-Job
"TRF" Member

Well, you beat me to the same question nighthawk!
Bob-a-Job is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:11 AM   #8
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-Job View Post
Well, you beat me to the same question Nighthawk!

In the UK NW England

Old 14 June 2024, 06:12 AM   #9
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebinners View Post
I have bought 4 rolex over the years, get them all serviced, went in last weel to get wifes watch serviced and asked about a datejust 41 for my upcoming big birthday, the sales lady basically said no chance you
Need to build “relationship”. Its a joke, so never going back

What does this whole relationship, mean i as a customer have to beg?

Old 14 June 2024, 06:12 AM   #10
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
I don't really have a problem with them and have always been treated with respect even if they've got nothing available that I want. But then, I always treat them as I want to be treated.

It's just the nature of an over-demanded, over-desirable item.

I have been able to get the very few Rolexes I own, one of which that required some patience. The ADs that could not help me were at least straight forward about it, so I located other ADs that would work with me. It's not that difficult. I've probably been in a few dozen different ADs but bought watches from two of them and have a good newly formed relationship with a third. None of the three had any requirement to buy other non-Rolex items before being offered a Rolex to purchase.

I know that I would not want to be a SA at a Rolex store with entitled people being rude about not being sucked up to and tossing a hissy when they couldn't immediately get what they demand.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:20 AM   #11
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
I don't really have a problem with them and have always been treated with respect even if they've got nothing available that I want. But then, I always treat them as I want to be treated.

It's just the nature of an over-demanded, over-desirable item.

I have been able to get the very few Rolexes I own, one of which that required some patience. The ADs that could not help me were at least straight forward about it, so I located other ADs that would work with me. It's not that difficult. I've probably been in a few dozen different ADs but bought watches from two of them and have a good newly formed relationship with a third. None of the three had any requirement to buy other non-Rolex items before being offered a Rolex to purchase.

I know that I would not want to be a SA at a Rolex store with entitled people being rude about not being sucked up to and tossing a hissy when they couldn't immediately get what they demand.

This is far from my experience, i have bought numerous watches over the years but all the new sales people seem arrogant, maybe its just a UK thing.

Old 14 June 2024, 06:25 AM   #12
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In the UK NW England

Same here hence why I asked...There's a few in the NW, some perhaps better than others. I wouldn't lose hope just yet, and maybe try another. You have two in Manchester City Centre, Trafford Centre, Chester, Liverpool, Preston and Wilmslow off the top of my head.

Depending on which one you choose, you may have better success if you book an appointment to visit. Availability also varies from AD to AD, so no harm in shopping around too.

It is frustrating how things currently are, gone seem to be the days of simply walking in and buying a watch, but I'm sure with a little persistence and patience a DJ shouldn't be too difficult.

If you don't want to wait, you can always go to the secondary market and have the watch on your wrist in a couple of days. Some DJs are below or close to MSRP, with only a handful of models trading above MSRP.
Old 14 June 2024, 06:28 AM   #13
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Same here hence why I asked...There's a few in the NW, some perhaps better than others. I wouldn't lose hope just yet, and maybe try another. You have two in Manchester City Centre, Trafford Centre, Chester, Liverpool, Preston and Wilmslow off the top of my head.

Depending on which one you choose, you may have better success if you book an appointment to visit. Availability also varies from AD to AD, so no harm in shopping around too.

It is frustrating how things currently are, gone seem to be the days of simply walking in and buying a watch, but I'm sure with a little persistence and patience a DJ shouldn't be too difficult.

If you don't want to wait, you can always go to the secondary market and have the watch on your wrist in a couple of days. Some DJs are below or close to MSRP, with only a handful of models trading above MSRP.

Preston used to be good. I bought 4 watches, then last year i went and they said they had new computer system and lost all purchase history! They almost disputed it ever bought watches from them!

Old 14 June 2024, 06:30 AM   #14
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe just having bad experience with this dealer but have always gone to be loyal! Yes also bought many watches from grey when couldn’t get from dealer.

Old 14 June 2024, 06:32 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like my AD, they’ve always treated me very well.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:40 AM   #16
Ash1dreamcast
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have managed to get a datejust 41 mm mint green dial and a Tudor black bay 58 GMT from Goldsmiths in Trafford Centre without any wait and no spend history. However, I was very lucky as I walked in early in the morning on a weekday. It depends who you get some of the sales guys in there are very arrogant and class 1 prick's. DMR in Manchester City centre are very welcoming but no joy there at all and feel like the big spenders get the allocations. You could try Preston or Leeds as well.
Ash1dreamcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:42 AM   #17
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash1dreamcast View Post
I have managed to get a datejust 41 mm mint green dial and a Tudor black bay 58 GMT from Goldsmiths in Trafford Centre without any wait and no spend history. However, I was very lucky as I walked in early in the morning on a weekday. It depends who you get some of the sales guys in there are very arrogant and class 1 prick's. DMR in Manchester City centre are very welcoming but no joy there at all and feel like the big spenders get the allocations. You could try Preston or Leeds as well.

Preston has been my AD for years but currently not great. Almost laugh at you …..

Old 14 June 2024, 06:48 AM   #18
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
It sounds like you’ve had a bad experience with one AD and are attempting to extrapolate that across all ADs. I don’t share your experience. As I’ve aged one habit I’ve gotten into after a difficult interaction is to ask myself what was my role in that conversation. It’s enlightening. You may want to consider trying it.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:53 AM   #19
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Is there anyone sick of the attitude of AD’s, trying to make you bend over backwards to buy any watches? Rolex AD’s have terrible customer experience.

I haven’t had that problem. Mine are very nice to me.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:53 AM   #20
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
AD’s attitudes

Definitely. My previous AD lost their status. I’ve visited several other ADs since then and the SAs were aloof and unhelpful. If I ever want a new Rolex again, I’ll probably just source one through a trusted seller. My time and energy are too valuable to waste on a Rolex AD.

On a related note, I was out of town recently and visited a Patek AD. What a different experience. They were very friendly and comparatively transparent about which watches I could buy now, later or never, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 06:54 AM   #21
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Preston has been my AD for years but currently not great. Almost laugh at you …..

Preston the City, where Whittles are the AD, or Prestons the AD in Wilmslow?
Old 14 June 2024, 06:59 AM   #22
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Preston the City, where Whittles are the AD, or Prestons the AD in Wilmslow?

Whittles

Old 14 June 2024, 07:00 AM   #23
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whittles

I think whittles were privately owned, but now i think owned by beaverbrooks, thats maybe where the customer service went to

Old 14 June 2024, 07:04 AM   #24
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
DJ41 shouldn’t be too hard unless you’re asking for a very desirable dial eg mint green, or Wimbledon. Also fluted and jubilee far harder than smooth and oyster.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 07:05 AM   #25
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Great relationship with my Rolex SA, bought 4 watches no issues on any of them, but then I moved house to a totally different part of the country, however my old store still contact me occasionally to see if I want anything.

Visited my new store a few weeks back and walked out with a TTSD on first visit - see separate thread.

I think that it is just a bit of luck, your attitude in shop, attitude of SA towards you, how you interact, good bit of banter works wonders, smiles etc etc. I don’t think that there is any magic formula to getting what you want.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 07:06 AM   #26
Stupot
"TRF" Member

I would say the UK has a severe problem with their Rolex distribution, it’s specifically a Watches Of Switzerland Group issue.

They have too big a stranglehold on the market. It’s stifled competition. You can only register with one outlet, so there is absolutely no competition between their own branches for business, and they have such a large footprint now they can be the only Rolex outlet for miles. I visit a lot of UK cities on business and almost everywhere I visit it’s a WOS outlet, so no point even asking. It’s almost a monopoly.

Very, very difficult to get anything out of them, and I have mid tier spend history.

I don’t really understand where they channel the watches to market.

Supply certainly doesn’t appear to me to have loosened any.
Stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 07:19 AM   #27
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
I would say the UK has a severe problem with their Rolex distribution, it’s specifically a Watches Of Switzerland Group issue.

They have too big a stranglehold on the market. It’s stifled competition. You can only register with one outlet, so there is absolutely no competition between their own branches for business, and they have such a large footprint now they can be the only Rolex outlet for miles. I visit a lot of UK cities on business and almost everywhere I visit it’s a WOS outlet, so no point even asking. It’s almost a monopoly.

Very, very difficult to get anything out of them, and I have mid tier spend history.

I don’t really understand where they channel the watches to market.

Supply certainly doesn’t appear to me to have loosened any.

I agree, i just don’t get a nice experience in my AD.

Old 14 June 2024, 07:27 AM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rolex AD’s have terrible customer experience.
They don't in my part of the South West.

Warrington is nice. Shame about the Ad(s).

Moaning won't get it done but if you feel any better for getting it off your chest, then go for it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 07:29 AM   #29
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Sorry to hear your experience. I get treated like gold at Henne Jewelers and I am not even close to a big spender there.
Old 14 June 2024, 07:32 AM   #30
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Why not tell us exactly what happened OP.