The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2021, 02:32 PM   #1
Arwhin
"TRF" Member

DSSD-2008 Coronet Comparison

Hello DSSD lovers,

Does anyone know of any other models with the coronet in the dial as the DSSD MK1 (116660). Can't seem to find any.

DSSD=MK1,2 & 3, great comparison reference/pics.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=252048
Arwhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 08:59 PM   #2
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
my 2 cents much to do about nothing
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 09:31 AM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwhin View Post
Hello DSSD lovers,

Does anyone know of any other models with the coronet in the dial as the DSSD MK1 (116660). Can't seem to find any.

DSSD=MK1,2 & 3, great comparison reference/pics.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=252048
What you are looking for is any reference with a "Bart Simpson" coronet.
Typically 4 digit references are where it's at, with 5513's featuring them. IIRC
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Arwhin
"TRF" Member

Hi Dirt, Thanks.

That's what I thought too, but if you take a closer look at the DSSD 2008 MK1 dial coronet, you will notice its pointy while Bart is curvy. Is it my eyes or it is so.

The DSSD MK 2 and MK3 coronets are the current/present version.
Old 30 December 2021, 06:53 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
my 2 cents much to do about nothing
Have to agree its funny before all this internet stuff started and loupe mania, most tiny variation were not noticed. Fact dials are made in 3 different factories now all own by Rolex, so there always have been, and always will be tiny variations on most all Rolex dials over the production years of any reference model.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Arwhin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree its funny before all this internet stuff started and loupe mania, most tiny variation were not noticed. Fact dials are made in 3 different factories now all own by Rolex, so there always have been, and always will be tiny variations on most all Rolex dials over the production years of any reference model.
Agreed, production can vary with technology advancement and geographics (location), but without compromising its brand symbol (Name)-Detail matters.

I think this was an intentional design for the DSSD launch in 2008.

A Brand logo is its pride and representation.
Old 30 December 2021, 10:45 PM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed, production can vary with technology advancement and geographics (location), but without compromising its brand symbol (Name)-Detail matters.

I think this was an intentional design for the DSSD launch in 2008.

A Brand logo is its pride and representation.
It can matter to the enthusiast and the manufacturer.
Just how much is going to be open to debate from time to time.
Your query still stands.
With regard to your observations of the shape of the coronet on the 08' (MK I dial). It is indeed more cambered across the top as opposed to the earliest as found on the 4 digits, but I believe it still can be regarded as a Bart Simpson type because the shape is more squeezed together as opposed to being splayed as is the custom currently.
For that matter I think it was more of a deliberate styling cue, simply because the rest of the font down lower is also bunched up so the coronet was squeezed up to balance out the aesthetic. It's just a theory though

Enjoy you watch to the full
Old 31 December 2021, 12:27 AM   #8
Arwhin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
It can matter to the enthusiast and the manufacturer.
Just how much is going to be open to debate from time to time.
Your query still stands.
With regard to your observations of the shape of the coronet on the 08' (MK I dial). It is indeed more cambered across the top as opposed to the earliest as found on the 4 digits, but I believe it still can be regarded as a Bart Simpson type because the shape is more squeezed together as opposed to being splayed as is the custom currently.
For that matter I think it was more of a deliberate styling cue, simply because the rest of the font down lower is also bunched up so the coronet was squeezed up to balance out the aesthetic. It's just a theory though

Enjoy you watch to the full
Thanks again dirt, yeap it's a great watch whatever font or coronet they throw at the dial. It's a real fine engineered timepiece on its own, I am happy to have found a March 2008 timepiece (1st batch production, apparently).

I was just curious so much talks about the DSSD MK1,2 and 3 dial when the distinctive engineering features are anything but the dial, at least before the JC model.

Happy New Year,sir!
Old 31 December 2021, 02:21 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

DSSD-2008 Coronet Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

I think the variations being discussed in coronets and fonts for Mk. I to III has less to do with the location, the people or the factory and more to do with the printing plate and pad makers.

Once tampography pads and the cliché gravure plates are made, they are shipped to the various locations for dial printing. These plates and pads wear out and are replaced by newly etched plates and fresh pads. Thus, the differences over time. So a dial difference might exist within a single production run of any reference since the dials are picked by watchmakers to use at their bench.

A good primer for those new to the process: https://quillandpad.com/2018/11/24/p...ained-reprise/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 02:36 AM   #10
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think the variations being discussed in coronets and fonts for Mk. I to III has less to do with the location, the people or the factory and more to do with the printing plate and pad makers.

Once tampography pads and the cliché gravure plates are made, they are shipped to the various locations for dial printing. These plates and pads wear out and are replaced by newly etched plates and fresh pads. Thus, the differences over time. So a dial difference might exist within a single production run of any reference since the dials are picked by watchmakers to use at their bench.

A good primer for those new to the process: https://quillandpad.com/2018/11/24/p...ained-reprise/

Thank you! This was very informative
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 05:48 AM   #11
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

From what we can gauge from pics of dials by fellow DSSD enthusiasts. Ther doesn't appear to be much variation in dial quality in these modern times. That is apart from the very distinct MK variants of course.
One wonders how many DSSD's have actually been made and how many dials can be printed with a pad generally
Not that I personally want to actually know. Just curious when I have a quiet moment or two with my MK II
Old 31 December 2021, 05:50 AM   #12
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks again dirt, yeap it's a great watch whatever font or coronet they throw at the dial. It's a real fine engineered timepiece on its own, I am happy to have found a March 2008 timepiece (1st batch production, apparently).

I was just curious so much talks about the DSSD MK1,2 and 3 dial when the distinctive engineering features are anything but the dial, at least before the JC model.

Happy New Year,sir!
My MK II says hi
Old 31 December 2021, 06:39 AM   #13
SaintMickey
Banned

SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 09:48 AM   #14
Arwhin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
My MK II says hi
MK1 and JC (126660) say hello to fellow mate!