The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2024, 09:13 PM   #1
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

What kind of customer are you?

Question is in the title. Long post (I woke unnecessarily early and enjoying a large soy latte). Short story is I consider myself a difficult but fair customer, who adjusts to how I am treated. What sort of customer do you consider yourself?

Long version:

Had a call w/my Mercedes dealer yesterday. My new-to-me (CPO) GLS450 (awesome vehicle btw, thanks to those who gave feedback!) was stuck at the dealer for a silly missed item. They forgot to install the rear wiper blade! Took it out in some inclement weather and the rear blade activated - but without the actual blade. Meant my otherwise new rear window got a fine but permanent scratch.

Anyways, we had them pick it up and long story medium they picked up a bolt in one of the (brand new) tires! So now they needed a replacement tire and to address the rear window… bad weather hit our area, slowing the shipment of the tire and the service manager called to say they needed the car an extra day or two.

First off, I was prepared for “battle” overall with the dealer but as usual tried honey before turning to vinegar. They were great and agreed to replace the tire (they picked up the bolt) and also the rear window. Of course the blade was an obvious and quick fix. When they asked for additional time due to weather I said no problem - they offered to provide a loaner or help but as we have extra vehicles and no travel plans, I declined. Asked if they could consolidate the repair process if possible and get us the car back with the window and tire done.

Now for what spurred the thread topic. The service manager sounded almost surprised and said “thanks so much for your understanding, wish more of our customers were as accommodating”…

It struck me because I don’t consider myself a very accommodating customer. I was stern at the outset that we wanted a new rear glass panel, and that it was disappointing they missed the blade on a CPO car. Also insisted that they pick up and deliver the vehicle (they aren’t our local dealer but they have better reviews). That said, I always consider the circumstances and the position of the person I’m dealing with. I’d never blame the messenger on a topic and always give a person in charge an opportunity to do the right thing.

My wife on the other hand says that my calm demeanor can be intimidating and she always wants me to handle these things. I enjoy negotiations and am as stubborn as a mule when I see an injustice (eg not getting what I paid for)… overall I’d consider myself a moderately difficult customer but one that would be valued because I also tend to reward good quality with steady, reliable business.

So I’m difficult, exacting, loyal and direct… my guess is some consider me an a-hole and focus on the difficult aspect. Will say with my AD I am probably the same. But now whenever I buy diamond jewelry I tend to shop them first and willing to pay a small premium. I don’t flip and if circumstances allow I can easily grow into being a big customer. On the flip side, I take no nonsense and call them out on any BS.

What sort of customer are YOU?
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 09:22 PM   #2
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Well, it sounds like you and I could be cut from the same cloth. Many of my colleagues who are more boisterous, loud, and sometimes vulgar in high-pressure situations. They say that I am all that but in a much calmer and very intimidating way. Apparently I can accomplish all of that in a calm, direct, and very official way. I don't know, it's easier to get your point across this way, like you. Be nice but direct and complimentary to the people lower in the food chain. I always save my best for last....the managers and higher ups.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 09:32 PM   #3
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I’m pretty much the same. When mistakes happen, I calmly and rationally give the provider a chance to fix it and 9 times of 10 they make it right. When they don’t, I escalate and that just about always works. When escalating doesn’t work and the stakes are low, I let it go and spread the word to anyone who who will listen. If the stakes are high, I call in the lawyers and let them loose. Luckily, it’s been years since I’ve had to do that.

Flying off the handle isn’t a good strategy and can be counter productive. Not to mention not good karma as the person on the receiving end usually is just doing their job.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 09:35 PM   #4
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I’ll note that I’m a blend of Northern and Southern European by background, grew up in Canada but spent nearly my entire adult life in the States, majority of which was in NYC and now in the midwest.

Worked on the bond trading desk when I was younger. Boisterous takes on a new meaning there. But my other career path(s) were more formal / reserved and so have worn many hats. I can see all of that informing my approach.
Old 31 January 2024, 09:38 PM   #5
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

So far kindred spirits.

I’m waiting to hear input here from the hot heads. That style also works - just not my thing.

Also the laid-back customers… I also know those types exist. Sometimes I wish I fell into that category. I’ve gotten better at letting things go when truly immaterial - simply not good use of time/effort. My prior poverty and personality (principles!) makes it unnatural.
Old 31 January 2024, 09:52 PM   #6
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I’m laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.
-sd
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 10:10 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Working in aftersales myself of course I tend to be pretty easy going. I find that most issues are easily solved if both parties treat each other respectfully.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 10:12 PM   #8
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Working in aftersales myself of course I tend to be pretty easy going. I find that most issues are easily solved if both parties treat each other respectfully.
This
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 10:13 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am an informed customer who balances the realities of the world with my expectations as a customer. An example would be when the last generation of SS Daytona was introduced I asked for and was granted a SS Daytona-C with the white face from my AD. Knowing that I enjoy selling/trading and the value of the watch was to be so much above retail when it arrived I explained the situation, which my AD knew, and politely declined the watch. I did not want to jeopardize my relationship with the AD on flipping a watch. I later bought both the black and white dial from a Trusted Seller for more than retail but not at the crazy highs we saw later. It cost me more money but this is where another of my characteristics comes in, the long game. I kept the watches for a time and enjoyed them but then sold them for significantly more than I had in them. Demanding, no. Appreciative ,Yes. It is all a game to me and I just enjoy playing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 10:45 PM   #10
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am an informed customer who balances the realities of the world with my expectations as a customer. An example would be when the last generation of SS Daytona was introduced I asked for and was granted a SS Daytona-C with the white face from my AD. Knowing that I enjoy selling/trading and the value of the watch was to be so much above retail when it arrived I explained the situation, which my AD knew, and politely declined the watch. I did not want to jeopardize my relationship with the AD on flipping a watch. I later bought both the black and white dial from a Trusted Seller for more than retail but not at the crazy highs we saw later. It cost me more money but this is where another of my characteristics comes in, the long game. I kept the watches for a time and enjoyed them but then sold them for significantly more than I had in them. Demanding, no. Appreciative ,Yes. It is all a game to me and I just enjoy playing.
Great input.

That is a level of self-restraint that is above and beyond.

I turned down a car allocation once (a GT4) for a similar-ish reason. In my case I had limited parking (NYC) and realized I preferred my current car (911 C4S manual 997.2 for all you Porsche nerds). Technically I could have sold my allocation for about $25k at the time… but would have potentially impaired my long-term relationship with my dealer.

In my example I knew that I wouldn’t buy the car… but in yours you ended up buying the watch for a premium. Would they really have been disappointed if you sold after a year or two of wearing it? I got my Daytona from the dealer and wouldn’t / didn’t sell, regardless of premiums (I am a buy to keep collector for nearly everything). I doubt I’d ever turn down an allocation like that since always plenty of space for watches!
Old 31 January 2024, 10:46 PM   #11
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I’m laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.
-sd
I think my mind on my money overrides my laid back persona in some cases :-)
Old 31 January 2024, 11:16 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d say I’m very chill when it comes to a difficult situation or person.

In a difficult circumstance such as yours, I prefer to let the other person do most of the talking. When they're finished, I bury them with thoughtful questions.

I’m also very quick to escalate a matter to a more senior level person sooner than later. I don’t like to waste my time with people who aren’t making the final decision
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 11:20 PM   #13
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I don't suffer fools gladly. Never did. And a born skeptic, just like dad. However, if someone is trying their best to do right by me I'll go out of my way to do right by them.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 11:22 PM   #14
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I have raised 3 boys so I can handle pretty much any of the usual stresses of work and car troubles. I definitely see coworkers that lose their minds over small changes that cause ripple effects instead of just calmly addressing them one step at a time.

I stay calm for selfish reasons though not because I'm awesome... getting stressed out sucks and I try to avoid it at nearly all costs. Often that means leaving money on the table etc.
Old 1 February 2024, 12:53 AM   #15
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I have raised 3 boys so I can handle pretty much any of the usual stresses of work and car troubles. I definitely see coworkers that lose their minds over small changes that cause ripple effects instead of just calmly addressing them one step at a time.

I stay calm for selfish reasons though not because I'm awesome... getting stressed out sucks and I try to avoid it at nearly all costs. Often that means leaving money on the table etc.
Leaving money on the table to reduce stress / improve lifestyle is thematic for me.

Career choices, investment decisions - making great calls but not putting my money where my mouth is.
Old 1 February 2024, 05:20 AM   #16
austinp
"TRF" Member

I has to be really bad to get any reaction from me. I usually don’t say match and let them get to reasonable solution with as little input from me as possible. Always keep it factual never personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 12:18 PM   #17
swils8610

I’m generally very easy going and understanding me…until someone pushes me to far. Then I can get ugly. Treat me right and I’ll treat you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 09:34 PM   #18
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
A Golden Rule customer. Treat others the way I want to be treated.
Old 3 February 2024, 11:44 PM   #19
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I almost always try to be the accommodating one. Some of my friends have told me I'm too much of a pushover, but to my mind, it's just not worth getting worked up over a delivery date or not enough hot sauce. I like to save my passion for better things. If I ever reach a point with a merchant where I'm truly unhappy (and I have) I simply don't go back.
Old 4 February 2024, 12:15 AM   #20
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I'm generally a disagreeable person and always skeptical. I'm put off by overt aggression and make it a point to not to be.

When it comes to my car, watches, or anything where I need a service, I'm relationship oriented and loyal to specific businesses. So, when there is a bad experience, I'm usually pretty understanding. Things happen. Sometimes, it's just your turn to be unlucky.

If it's the result of rudeness, laziness or incompetence, I let them know I'm not happy and why. Depending on their response, I'll simply let them know I have no intention of returning.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 02:51 PM   #21
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I tend to ramp up easily when I think I'm being BSed or read to from a script. However I'm friendly and joyful to good customer service and those who empathize and try to help. I often remember what happened to me about 5 years ago when I needed a tree in my front yard cut down. Short story to follow:
I called a tree cutting company that I've used before to come and give me a quote. The day and time came and the guy didn't show. I waited an hour and then another hour and still no show or phone call. I was getting upset at being stood up with no call so I called back but instead of being stern and disagreeable, a little voice told me to be nice so I left a friendly message and asked for a call back to reschedule.
I got the call back a while later. It was from the tree guy's son. He was very broken up. His dad, the tree guy, had suddenly died the day before. He was in the telescoping bucket of his truck doing a side job as a favor to a friend and he hadn't strapped in. The bucket bounced and he fell quite a distance to the ground. The son had to rush to the scene and lower the bucket, drive the truck etc. The family was crushed. While I was waiting for our appointment the family was planning his wake and funeral arrangements.
I'm so glad that the family didn't arrive home to a mean message from me chastising their dad for missing our appointment. Imagine how they would have felt hearing something like that.
I think of that often and when I'm angry at some perceived slight I remember to just be nice and get the explanation first. Imagine that. Being nice as a first resort.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 03:31 PM   #22
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
To me, "fair" is a very important concept in life.
I always look for a "fair" outcome that is obvious to everyone even if it was not what they wanted. I never 'blow my stack' - never been in a situation where it helped.
In my career, I worked with some very assertive women and I have to say that they got way better results than their aggressive male colleagues. A lesson for life.
I always treat people with respect and in MOST (not all) cases it is reciprocated.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote