The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2024, 10:07 AM   #91
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

You're all wrong.

Like, totally.

image01-3.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 10:32 AM   #92
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You're all wrong.

Like, totally.

Attachment 1436050

Actually, the aliens are just as mad. They travel from thousands of light years away to buy a Rolex, and they can’t get one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 10:05 PM   #93
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Actually, the aliens are just as mad. They travel from thousands of light years away to buy a Rolex, and they can’t get one either.
Well, you know how it is. We see this often on TRF. You travel to some far-off land by ship hoping the Rolex AD at the port has something for sale. We've seen this question asked many times on TRF.

Why can't they be happy with H. Moser, or Omega, Tudor... and surely MB&F's Spaceship-like timepieces would be more appreciated by Aliens. You are right Krash, Aliens discovered there are too many humans on ᔑリᒷ ᓵℸ ⍑ (a.k.a. Earth) with not enough resources to get a Rolex. There is an easy solution of course.

Why can't we all just get along?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 20 May 2024, 02:37 AM   #94
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
The problem isn’t with Rolex, it is with their ADs.

What a nonsense post.
Why don’t you wear a hat of an AD
They are running a business not a charity .
They are investing millions in the brand
It js their discretion who they want to sell hard to get pieces.
A generational customer who buys for their wedding, birthday, holidays, mothers day, fathers day, new born gifts etc
or some watch nerd that wants to have a daytona for circle jerk at the next watch GTG at the local microbrewery

Get over it.. or go grey
There is no problem with rolex or Rolex ADs
I went to three ADs in 3 large cities.. experience was amazing, was offered a drink, and could try any piece i wanted and got a magazine.

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 02:52 AM   #95
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
What a nonsense post.
A generational customer who buys for their wedding, birthday, holidays, mothers day, fathers day, new born gifts etc
or some watch nerd that wants to have a daytona for circle jerk at the next watch GTG at the local microbrewery

Get over it.. or go grey
I went to three ADs in 3 large cities.. experience was amazing, was offered a drink, and could try any piece i wanted and got a magazine.

Needed to be said.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 03:29 AM   #96
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Get over it.. or go grey

Old 20 May 2024, 07:25 AM   #97
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What a nonsense post.

Get over it.. or go grey
I think this view of the situation has equal validity to the OP.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 07:38 AM   #98
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

The problem is Rolex. They turn a blind eye to ADs.
buffetwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 07:44 AM   #99
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a nonsense post.

Get over it.. or go grey

Truth…

Why should the AD sell a hot watch to a customer who will never darken their door again?

Why would Rolex care at all who the ADs sell to?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 08:52 AM   #100
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Rolex is following the same playbook as Ferrari and Hermes, in a slightly less direct way.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 02:39 PM   #101
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
What a nonsense post.

Get over it.. or go grey

It appears you won the Internet today.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 02:51 PM   #102
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
What a nonsense post.

Get over it.. or go grey
#Truth! Play the game or go grey, either way, people need to stop complaining. There is nothing "fair" about life, and an AD owes us nothing.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 11:24 PM   #103
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
It appears you won the Internet today.

Lol

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 11:32 PM   #104
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Truth…

Why should the AD sell a hot watch to a customer who will never darken their door again?

Why would Rolex care at all who the ADs sell to?
They don’t want ADs selling to flippers. They sell to people that they know as customers first. It’s good business to take care of your regulars is the basic reason. Blocking out flippers is a bonus.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 11:40 PM   #105
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

OP here.

Lots of Stockholm Syndrome on this thread.

Good luck.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 12:52 AM   #106
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
Try going into an AD for Alden shoes to purchase a pair in whiskey, cigar or ravello shell cordovan, then get back to me about wait lists. I waited over 6 years for a pair in ravello - this after many other shoe purchases in calf as well as black and Color 8 shell. And my AD is awesome! The grey market for Alden rare shell is ridiculous - some shoes selling for double MSRP. Then again, it’s just a pair of shoes and I’m an incredibly patient man who refuses to pay over MSRP for anything. If I can’t get a Batman at the AD (even with spend history), so what? My life wouldn’t be any different.
Submariner868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 01:10 AM   #107
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I Like New Balance .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 01:22 AM   #108
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner868 View Post
Try going into an AD for Alden shoes to purchase a pair in whiskey, cigar or ravello shell cordovan, then get back to me about wait lists. I waited over 6 years for a pair in ravello - this after many other shoe purchases in calf as well as black and Color 8 shell. And my AD is awesome! The grey market for Alden rare shell is ridiculous - some shoes selling for double MSRP. Then again, it’s just a pair of shoes and I’m an incredibly patient man who refuses to pay over MSRP for anything. If I can’t get a Batman at the AD (even with spend history), so what? My life wouldn’t be any different.
I felt super lucky to get my whiskey Crockett & Jones at a 15 or 20 percent discount. They only had two pairs left and decided to clear inventory. A month later, I looked at someone who had them on eBay for almost $1,500.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 10:58 PM   #109
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I felt super lucky to get my whiskey Crockett & Jones at a 15 or 20 percent discount. They only had two pairs left and decided to clear inventory. A month later, I looked at someone who had them on eBay for almost $1,500.
You were lucky! I have to special order as they don’t carry my width in the majority of their styles. Special orders used to take around 4 months; now they take a year. I only wear Alden. Patience is a virtue, which I learned via fishing and refined via poker.
Submariner868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 11:23 PM   #110
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

What about Nvidia? They can’t build GPUs fast enough to meet demand. Nobody would ever suggest that Nvidia should blow up their distribution model because of this.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 12:00 AM   #111
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
OP here.

Lots of Stockholm Syndrome on this thread.

Good luck.
Thank you. At least I've got all my AD supplied Rolex watches to keep me company in my delusional universe. Nine down one to go.
Old 25 May 2024, 01:25 AM   #112
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Thank you. At least I've got all my AD supplied Rolex watches to keep me company in my delusional universe. Nine down one to go.

He’s just bitter that hardly anybody shares his sentiment. Sadly that’s the majority of adults these days. There’s always some obscure reason something doesn’t go their way other than themself.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 02:23 AM   #113
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
He’s just bitter that hardly anybody shares his sentiment. Sadly that’s the majority of adults these days. There’s always some obscure reason something doesn’t go their way other than themself.
I'm not sure about "these days" but I get what you are saying. There is sometimes a tendency to rationalise irrational tendencies by blaming an imaginary conspiracy or blaming other people who are perceived as somehow depriving the injured individual from their goal or even stealing it from them.

Intensity of belief somehow balances out the lack of evidence. Mind you, that's what most religions are based on.
Old 25 May 2024, 02:24 AM   #114
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
While I understand why ADs use the most sought-after Rolex models as incentives for customers to buy non-Rolex watches and high-margin jewelry, I don’t understand why Rolex allows it.

We all know once you own one Rolex, you will want to own more. Why then, are allocations made to maximize non-Rolex profits of the ADs, rather than maximize the number of Rolex owners?

Everyone knows Rolex sells every watch it makes (so why care what anyone thinks), however the current state of the AD experience is so unpleasant, it is damaging their long-term reputation. Perhaps a change is afoot as we are seeing many independent AD lose the privilege of carrying Rolex. There is likely more to go before it is over.

In my opinion, the current AD model is broken at best, corrupt at worst. And while I make room for the idea that some people have AD/SAs that they like personally (hate the game, not the playa…), but my question is this: if certain Rolex models are so hard to get, why are there so many available at grey market dealers?

The large number of BNIB sought-after models (with current year warranty card) that are available at Trusted Sellers/Chrono24/eBay suggests two things:
1. ADs are doing a poor job of identifying flippers (or are sharing the profits with flippers)
2. AD are complicit (profit sharing) with grey dealers

A good example of #2 is: some greys are currently offering new PM models below MSRP. How is this possible if an AD is not complicit? Obviously it is a bad look for an AD to give a discount to a retail customer; but if an AD can lighten their less sought-after inventory to a grey and still make a little that is good business (for them).

Once the move to Rolex-only boutiques and Rolex-owned chains (ie Bucherer) becomes more the norm, hopefully the allocation process becomes less focused on maximizing non-Rolex profits at non-Rolex owned ADs. When “Rolex-First” becomes the priority, perhaps allocations will become more accessible to more watch enthusiasts.
Somehow they are in the business now with Bucherer.
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 03:50 AM   #115
Rp121
"TRF" Member

I visited Goldsmiths in Birmingham (UK) today just for a browse. BeforeI even opened my mouth I was quickly informed that some precious metal Subs were available but my preferred watch, the Starbucks was not. Even though I am on their ‘register of interest’ I was told I’d never be allocated one with zero purchase history. At least he was straight up. What saddened me was his total lack of customer service and belittling attitude. He couldn’t get me out of the door fast enough. Not sure if that’s the impression a brand would want to give to a potential customer.
Rp121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 01:01 PM   #116
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp121 View Post
I visited Goldsmiths in Birmingham (UK) today just for a browse. BeforeI even opened my mouth I was quickly informed that some precious metal Subs were available but my preferred watch, the Starbucks was not. Even though I am on their ‘register of interest’ I was told I’d never be allocated one with zero purchase history. At least he was straight up. What saddened me was his total lack of customer service and belittling attitude. He couldn’t get me out of the door fast enough. Not sure if that’s the impression a brand would want to give to a potential customer.
At most AD (especially chain), the SA is on commission.

They also work on an "up" system, which means that the associates take turns working with individuals who walk in. You became his "up" and he cannot deal with another individual or group of individuals until you are gone and then he can get back in the loop to work with another individual.

So once he offered you an available PM sub and you didn't bite, it's time for you to go. He can't sell you a Starbucks without purchase history (management say no) and you didn't want to buy anything else at that moment, so you need to get out so he can get another up. Hence, you were handled out the door. Just how it is...not really a "customer service" issue because in their eyes, you aren't a "customer".

They sell plenty of watches so they will continue to act like this until they are forced to not act this way. If and when that happens..who knows??
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 08:50 PM   #117
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Rolex doesn't have any "problems"

Their dominance in the luxury watch market is absolute.

Their marketing strategy has made them arguably the strongest brand name of any product in the world.

I guess, if I were to personally dig deeper for a "problem", I feel they still have too many inadequate dealers in terms of quality of merchandising build out and location.

Rolex is actively addressing that, so they see an issue there and are cutting doors to resolve effectively.
Exactly! There are "buyers markets" and "sellers markets" in every product, in every economic period, based on many variables.
Rolex thru brilliant marketing, consistent high quality, trade in value that is higher than much of its competition, and a price point that has always attracted luxury buyers, has created a "sellers market" that withstands all of the normal market fluctuations. They sell off their production every year, and while we complain that we don't get the luxury experience we crave from their AD network, we are still here trying to buy every watch they make.
And if you can't wait for a Rolex, buy a Tudor, and contribute to the financial and market strength of the Rolex Corp. Or pop into Tourneau. I assume
anything you buy through them ultimately strengthens the Rolex Corp. And if their AD network uses Rolex to help them sell other products within their stores, that's just good marketing for their AD's.
It's brilliant!
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 09:34 PM   #118
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not far from me - the Merry Hill branch is my local AD.

In many ways, I can sympathise - I don't think we as punters can understand what it's like having people coming in all day every day asking for the same things that you cannot sell to them. They must be sick to their back teeth of it. A lot of these "customers" have a crap attitude as well and get pretty aggy with the SA's.
Many times I've been there and seen people come and drop the immediate "I have the money, I wanna buy that one there, why can't I?" or "Hi mate, I wanna buy a Rolex" with no other discussion lol.

That said - the reason why I don't bother with Birmingham is just what you said, I found them incredibly rude and wouldn't entertain my business, in WoS around the corner, I actually got smugly laughed at by the lady in sales.
Conversely, Merry Hill is very different, everyone in the store knows my name, greets me, drinks, looked after, and importantly, have gotten what I have wanted.
Neil McCauley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 10:00 PM   #119
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
He couldn’t get me out of the door fast enough. Not sure if that’s the impression a brand would want to give to a potential customer.
And they'll never get a penny of your money. Works both ways. This behaviour isn't confined to Rolex dealers and if you reside in the West Midlands you've got a lot of potential alternatives, some of whom might treat you as if they are pleased to see you. Good luck with it.
Old 25 May 2024, 10:17 PM   #120
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
At most AD (especially chain), the SA is on commission.

They also work on an "up" system, which means that the associates take turns working with individuals who walk in. You became his "up" and he cannot deal with another individual or group of individuals until you are gone and then he can get back in the loop to work with another individual.

So once he offered you an available PM sub and you didn't bite, it's time for you to go. He can't sell you a Starbucks without purchase history (management say no) and you didn't want to buy anything else at that moment, so you need to get out so he can get another up. Hence, you were handled out the door. Just how it is...not really a "customer service" issue because in their eyes, you aren't a "customer".

They sell plenty of watches so they will continue to act like this until they are forced to not act this way. If and when that happens..who knows??
Good breakdown. Tough on a sales person to get so many requests for something they can’t sell.