The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2012, 04:24 AM   #9061
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Richard, thanks for the link - I will look into that!

Leo - you expect me to share my beer?!

At least the slugs die happy.
Well...I did say beer not Mike's!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2012, 01:58 AM   #9062
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Leo, I can't remember what this rose variety is (I have the online order info somewhere and need to find it!), but isn't the color nice? They're now blooming like crazy.

Edit: Found the info - it's called Westerland.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2012, 03:55 AM   #9063
Lion
"TRF" Member

Lisa, your rose flower is really beautiful and the color is amazing.....I love roses and just remember to periodically check them for Black Spot, Japanese Beetles(come June thru August)and fertilize them on a regular schedule. Continue to add peat moss(Canadian or German peat...as they are the best) on a yearly basis to the soil as they need a slightly acid soil and good drainage. Can't wait to see your other roses in bloom and your other garden plants as well...have the Caladiums started to come up yet???

Well I'm off to the garden center to stock up on deer repellant, systemic insecticide to do battle with the Japanese Beetles and fertilizer for the garden. Besides the Dwarf Hostas and Dwarf Mutated evergreens we are going to add this year I also plan on adding a Dwarf cultivar of Ginkgo biloba to the yard this year!!!

Old 10 April 2012, 07:01 AM   #9064
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Leo, are you growing the ginkgo for show or medicinal use? I did a search because I know nothing about the plant, and it looks like it's a tree - had no idea!

I fed the roses well earlier this spring with a product that also includes stuff to prevent pests. The plants all look healthy, so I guess it's helping.

No caladiums up yet... hoping to see the first shoots any time now.

Remember last year how the peonies would get big blooms, but the blooms would just dry up? I must have been over-feeding. This year, I didn't fertilize them at all and they look about ready to blossom... will keep fingers crossed.

Would love to see some pics of your gardens, Leo.
Old 11 April 2012, 03:40 AM   #9065
Lion
"TRF" Member

Good afternoon to all...Lisa I have always wanted a Ginkgo tree(as a specimen tree) as when I was growing up down the block two neighbors had them. And these were the two ladies who helped get started on my love for plants and flowers. They gave me my first three houseplants which were a Jade tree, Spider plant and a Hoya vine....
Ginkgos have been around for thousands of years and at one time they thought they were extinct in the wild...if you do end up buying one you want a tree which is male. As the females at maturity get fruit which are messy and very smelly. The trees can get quite large but there are many dwarf cultivars on the market nowadays which can be as small as 5-8' to 20' or so.....
My Larix(Larch or called Tamarack)which is a deciduous evergreen is looking very nice this year and in 10 years or so will be a decent size. I bought it at our Farmer's Market from a vendor for $4.50USD and it was in a 10" pot and four feet tall.....
We also have a Bald Cypress tree which is a deciduous evergreen that I bought when it was about 5' tall and now it is over 35' tall. Many years ago during a bad spring thunderstorm the top 5' of the tree was snapped off and it took about five years to recover...
For your roses keep fertilizing and watering, when the stress of summer comes, and I can't wait to see more pictures. I will take some pictures of our gardens in June and July when everything looks good and the annuals have been planted...
I'm glad to hear your peonies are doing well. I know around here they have been zapped the last couple of years with fungus infections...if your plants get a white powdery look to the leaves you can spray them with Captan.....

Lisa what Hardiness Zone do you live in? We here are in Zone 5 and the last frost free date is May 15th. I can't wait and am getting antsy as I really want to get the annual flowers and the perennials in.....I'm off to visit a couple more garden centers this afternoon!!!

Old 11 April 2012, 03:50 AM   #9066
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:
Edit: Found the info - it's called Westerland.
So beautiful! What an interesting color. I only have one gigantic sprawly old rose bush, very old variety in pink, which blooms all at once. How hard is it to keep your roses growing and to winter them over?
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2012, 05:31 AM   #9067
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
So beautiful! What an interesting color. I only have one gigantic sprawly old rose bush, very old variety in pink, which blooms all at once. How hard is it to keep your roses growing and to winter them over?
Thanks, J. Sounds like you have a lovely rose of your own. I got this Westerland from Jung Seed Company, and the other variety (which I also can't remember, but it's a creamy color) from a company called Heirloom Roses. The Westerlands were shipped bare root, and the others as tiny seedlings. Both types of plants are about the same size now; which is roughly 3-4 feet across and 3-4 feet tall.

This is my first attempt at growing roses, and they're only a year old, so I don't know yet how hard it will be to keep them growing well. I did learn that proper planting at the correct depth goes a long way to ensure a healthy plant, so I dug big, deep holes and used a mix of compost/potting/garden soil, mixed with some rose food, to get them started. I was surprised at how much they grew their first summer here, especially with the brutal heat we had (I hand watered them pretty deeply every few days as I didn't think the sprinkler system would give them enough). The mild winter, though, may have helped them work on establishing a good root system. I piled a little mulch around them in late fall, kept them watered every week or so, and pretty much otherwise left them alone. Now, they're taking off with loads of blooms. Dumb luck, but so far, so good.

In a few days, when the cream color variety is blooming better, I'll get some more pics.
Old 11 April 2012, 11:33 PM   #9068
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

I'd love to see the cream ones. Do you have to do much feeding and chemical application against bugs? The chemical part is the thing that most concerns me. I do admire your beautiful deep coral variety. Here, I more or less work with things in the pinks/purples family, just because we have long-existing ground cover plants with pink-lavender blooms. So a creamy ivory rose would be very lovely for this environment. I almost never have the discipline to plant white/ivory flowers...I get distracted by colors. lol
Old 11 April 2012, 11:48 PM   #9069
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
I'd love to see the cream ones. Do you have to do much feeding and chemical application against bugs? The chemical part is the thing that most concerns me. I do admire your beautiful deep coral variety. Here, I more or less work with things in the pinks/purples family, just because we have long-existing ground cover plants with pink-lavender blooms. So a creamy ivory rose would be very lovely for this environment. I almost never have the discipline to plant white/ivory flowers...I get distracted by colors. lol
I know what you mean about white/ivory flowers... I usually pass them by, but they can be a really pretty complement to other colors and make the vibrant hues stand out even more. It's the same way with my Fiestaware - which I am nutty about. I have to force myself to buy the ivory pieces because too much bright color kind of diminishes the overall effect.

When I researched climbing roses, one of the things I looked at was the plant's natural hardiness and disease resistance. Yes, the chemical part is of concern, too - and to tell you the truth I'm not even sure what is in the rose food. The food is the only thing I've put on the roses, and it was recommended by our local nursery. Worth finding out about what's actually in it.

I will get more pictures - in the next few days there should be some ivory blooms. They're a couple weeks behind the Westerlands.
Old 11 April 2012, 11:55 PM   #9070
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

I must have told you I'm a major Fiesta hoarder, have been ever since I first laid eyes on it. That was when the 9" dinner plates cost $1 each. lol

I have so much that I've deaccessioned boxes of it to my daughter and it's not even possible to tell that I did.

Yes, the ivory is a great foil for the other colors. Did you know that the new Fiesta now has an ivory reissue color? It's a little yellower than the first run but still nice. Yes, I have both the new and the old stuff. What is wrong with me.
Old 12 April 2012, 12:32 AM   #9071
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Didn't know you're a fan of Fiesta. Excellent! I just love the stuff. Made in USA, full of history, tough as nails, fun and versatile... perfect. I have mostly new pieces - several in the new ivory, yes. None of the really vintage stuff, but a few discontinued items like a lavender mug and chili bowl, and the disc pitcher and gravy boat in sea mist. I should have been collecting it sooner - had a few old pieces of used restaurant china made by Buffalo that had been our daily use ware for more than 20 years. Plus, when we started having kids and began entertaining more, we didn't have enough of it. It was and is good and solid, but not nearly as fun as the Fiesta. O, the wasted years!

I have two books on vintage Fiestaware and just drool over the things in it... the stacking mixing bowls, the excellent divided relish plate (I just might save and splurge on an Ebay one someday). If I had about twice the cabinet space, you can bet there would be many more pieces at my house.

I'm getting into the modern bakeware, too - loaf pans, baking dishes... and just Monday ordered the deviled egg plate in Lemongrass. I get most of the pieces from Homer Laughlin Factory Direct, right out of Ohio. It's a lot less expensive than going to the department store, and they're factory firsts.

You've given me a good excuse to get more of it - three daughters who will eventually set up their own homes, yes? Though, this was my mom's excuse to have literally hundreds of dishes in a dozen different patterns - but neither my sister or I want any of that "ugly" stoneware. It's pure 1980s... need I say more.
Old 12 April 2012, 01:00 AM   #9072
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Lavender was gorgeous. It costs a fortune now in the resale market. I have a few neat odd duck pieces of various kinds from the reissue, too.

Years ago I saw someone's kitchen, which was ringed all the way around the tops of the cupboards with Fiesta display pieces. I stole that idea when we redid the kitchen.

Gosh, I didn't realize the outlet shipped direct. We're able to drive to a couple of outlets, where I pick up most of the new stuff. The old stuff has been well taken care of already. :)

A glimpse:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen 3.JPG (117.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg kitchen 2.JPG (131.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 12 April 2012, 01:54 AM   #9073
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Love the pics. Those cabinets complement your vintage kitchen so nicely. Are the countertops granite? I might have guessed soapstone, but they look shiny.

You have some terrific Fiesta pieces. Is that top teapot the medium green color? You probably know it's highly prized by collectors!

Oops - the factory site isn't in Ohio at all - it's Newell, West Virginia. I was getting the Kitchenaid Mixer people mixed up with the Fiesta people!

At any rate, here's the site:

http://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/Default.aspx?
Old 12 April 2012, 02:50 AM   #9074
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Thank you. :) The countertops are granite, the black-green-gold-speckly variety called Ubatuba, I think from Brazil. The big green teapot is actually the normal green, not the famed med. green. The one interesting piece in the kitchen lineup there is the small pitcher at left, in pastel pale turquoise (official name is celadon). It's from the Jubilee line, very scarce.

I was thinking the factory was in WVa, although the location is really on the state borders. I can pick things up in person, as I mention, living within easy drive of two great outlets.

Have you ventured into the square plates yet? I just got a set of the small ones and one serving plate. Rather snazzy and oh so daring for an old traditionalist.

--
PS I apologize for the un-staged kitchen pics. I just hopped up and snapped...could've taken a minute to put some stuff away, but no. lol
Old 12 April 2012, 03:11 AM   #9075
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Whoa. That site is gonna cost me. I only recently became aware of the large rectangular baking dish and went gaga immediately, but it was "expensive" and I didn't get it. But here it's in all those great colors...oh my.

Do you have the round pie baking plate? That's a hella deal on two. I've had one for years and it's a really nice piece.
Old 12 April 2012, 05:24 AM   #9076
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Keep an eye on the site for deals... every now and then they offer some good ones. last year I got a free loaf pan (tangerine) when I bought the large baking pan (lemongrass). However, since two matching loaf pans are a must (aren't they?), I just ordered a second one. Also have the smaller square baking pan (sunflower), and the covered casserole in scarlet, which makes a killer dish for baked beans. As you would expect, they are all lovely, very heavy, and perform well.

I've held off getting the pie bakers... mostly because I can't make pie crust. But it would be worth learning. Graham cracker crust, maybe? And I do need something in Peacock or turquoise to go with the other bakeware...

Lucky you - able to drive to the factory to buy pieces. That would be my dream vacation... Fiesta factory shopping spree. Only half kidding!

Did you see some of the vintage film footage on the web site? Some really interesting stuff about Fiesta's manufacture through the years.

Square plates - I like them, but better not get started on them. I'd have to have a set of 12!

Your kitchen - please. I was impressed by how tidy it looked. Recyclables ready for the bin, too. My justification for not rinsing things out too well is that our possum wouldn't have anything to lick clean.

What kind of flatware do you use with the dishes? I have 12 settings of the ivory handled flatware offered through the site and 6 place settings of the turquoise. I've got the 5 piece "hostess set" and ordered a cake server at the same time I ordered the egg plate. Had to order enough to qualify for free shipping, you know.

I've pestered the Homer Laughlin people about re-issuing the famous relish plate with inset dividers. Do you have one? If you do, I'll beg for a pic of it.
Old 12 April 2012, 05:39 AM   #9077
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

One of my close friends has the relish set, complete. Drool. One of the few specialties I never lucked into, sadly. That or the syrup pitcher. :(

You are most welcome to breeze by here in your vintage wheels for a Thelma and Louise Go Fiesta Shopping tour.

The good news about those pie bakers is that they're really just round baking dishes, when you think of it. I do make pies, but you could use 'em for heating and serving anything that looks good in a shallow server. I will check for specials--I have to have at least one of those rectangular bakers.

Flatware: Yours sounds really cool and I bet a whole lot better quality than the period Bakelite-handled vintage flatware. I used to collect that but got tired of the flimsy metal and the annoying two-part construction that just didn't hold up forty years later. (LOL) Then I went to Deco-style new stainless, and that's where I am now, with a set by Waterford. The pattern is called Kilbarry, and it's geometric, nice and heavy, and alludes to Deco. I will look for yours on the HLC site.

--
How funny you spotted my recycling stuff! True.
Old 12 April 2012, 07:45 AM   #9078
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Oh, that bakelite stuff was so pretty, though I know what you mean. It did tend to come apart. Mom had some of it, in a caramel color, but I remember most pieces ended up in the barn and Dad used them to mix his fertilizers.

I got some pics of the ivory rose but still can't tell you the name of it. It does look good next to the salmon-colored Westerland. Yes, it's been raining much of the day.

Whew... in a few days...

Here's one Fiesta cabinet. Many of the pieces are in the dishwasher, though!

I thought the little vintage Mexican-style lamp and burro s/p shakers was a fun vignette for a Fiesta-flavored eating area. Saw that lamp at an antique shop and, well, how can you say no?

Old 12 April 2012, 07:58 AM   #9079
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Oh, forgot about the syrup pitcher.... yes, wouldn't it be cool to come across one? Until that day comes, I found this little guy:

Old 12 April 2012, 08:10 AM   #9080
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Wow, those roses are spectacular (nice photography there). And fast opening from bud.

Oh your cabinet pic just made me laugh (see below). Yes, the little lamp and burros are fab! The shakers look like those leatherette critter toys we used to have. Amazing!

Here are your cabinet's cousins. (Cups from my vintage "good" dishes set snuck in there.) The rest of the Fiesta is mostly packed away.

Love the syrup pitcher! Is that vintage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside cupboard1.JPG (164.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg cupboard2.JPG (184.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 12 April 2012, 09:55 AM   #9081
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Cool! We might have been separated at birth. Are these pieces a mix of old and new Fiesta? Are the deep yellow pieces Marigold, or Sunflower, or the original yellow?

Glad you like the flower pics. Had good lighting, thanks to the clouds.

Looks like you have a lavender medium bowl. Oooh. And we must share an affinity for turquoise. Do I see a straight turquoise handle peeking out beside the coffee cups in the first picture? What is that piece? I'm envisioning a little pitcher but can't remember what it's called.

The syrup pitcher is old, but don't know how old; I found it on the Ruby Lane antiques web site. The glass bottom looks like it has the Hazel Atlas logo, but it's hard to tell. No marks on the plastic top. It sure is messy, though. I think I'll wash it out and just use it for display. Maybe it could work as a sugar-pourer.

Funny about the leatherette toys - I've got three reproduction pieces of them that Cracker Barrel was selling in their gift shop several years ago. We've got a poodle, a tiger and an octopus.
Old 12 April 2012, 10:44 AM   #9082
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Let's see. The left cabinet is all new except for the top shelf, which has the old coffee cups, a gravy boat, and a sugar and creamer. The stick you see is the stick creamer handle. That's such a great piece. I have two sets with the stick, the other being rose.

The yellow nappy is the first reissue yellow, that paler one. The other yellow pieces are all Sunflower. I don't yet have any Marigold but want to get some.
The right cabinet is a service for 8 in old Fiesta, just the few original colors (I have a service for gazillion in old but most put away) plus the new mugs, and a covered Sunflower butter dish.

I have one vintage leatherette upright-sitting bear. Somewhere. LOL

Keep those gorgeous garden pics coming!
Old 12 April 2012, 11:32 AM   #9083
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the details. The stick handled creamer is so cute. Wasn't there a small coffee pot that had the same kind of handle? Too lazy to reach two feet above me to get the book down and look.

I have one Tom and Jerry mug in the first reissue yellow you mention - got it in a lot of used mugs from Ebay. I didn't know the difference between it and Sunflower; just assumed it was a glaze variation. Ebay is also how I came by a few pieces of Periwinkle, Apricot and Rose. One Periwinkle plate was so discolored with utensil marks it was only a couple of dollars; a good rubbing with some metal polish made it good as new.

There are only two new colors I'm not very crazy about: white and chocolate. Don't have a single piece of either.

More garden pics coming up soon... the peonies are looking promising.
Old 12 April 2012, 11:59 AM   #9084
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Demitasse coffee pot and cups/saucers. Adorable. I have one c/s in turquoise but didn't bother to get them en masse.

Agree with you about the white and chocolate. I didn't like the white when it was out before, either. Not too sure that food would benefit from the dark brown. Paprika, though, is nicer than I first thought it would be. Lemongrass is so much like Chartreuse, I kind of wondered why they created it. I guess it has to do with fashion color dictates.

Those early pastel shades are sweet, but to be honest I like the more vibrant tones more.

We'd have fun junking together around the Midwest, the graveyard of all grannies' cupboards!
Old 12 April 2012, 02:25 PM   #9085
Lisa
"TRF" Member

We would have fun - antique and fleamarket shopping was a favorite pastime before having kids. Now, I think we need to rent a booth at a shop and start unloading some of it to make room for more!

If you ever decide to thin your Fiesta collection... let me know.
Old 12 April 2012, 11:17 PM   #9086
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Hey, Leo. I didn't answer your question about zones - we're in 7.

And the beer-in-a-cup works quite well for the slugs. Snails, too. I've tried Mike's Lemonade and beer and both work equally well. I put out a little mug of it in the evenings, and by morning there's a nice fresh mug o' snail 'n slug soup. Okay, blecch. And I have to be sneaky about it or the kids will be upset! I wouldn't have such an issue with the slugs, except that they are capable of so much damage for such small creatures. Their habit of climbing on the fennel stems and chomping through, killing the entire frond, just about did in a large fennel plant. It's got only two or three scrawny, slimy branches left but is trying to put out new growth. And everything I read about slugs says they avoid fennel. Not true in this case. They love the stuff. The fennel is planted just for the black swallowtail caterpillars - hope to see them any day now.
Old 13 April 2012, 01:50 AM   #9087
Lion
"TRF" Member

Hi to all.....
Lisa, I'm glad the beer works on the slugs and it's good to hear that Mike's works as well(even though it's more expensive per cup or saucer).....btw the only difference between slugs and snails is snails have shells!!!
I enjoyed seeing pictures of your roses and the lighter cream colored climber is just as beautiful as your salmon colored one. They both look great growing next to each other...and if you want to help train them up your fence they make foam covered wire which can be cut to any length and used to tie them to the fence...
I though maybe you lived in Zone 7 from looking at the Cold Hardiness Map...I would love to have your warmer temperatures...there is so much more I could grow!!!
We could sure use the rain as well...as we have only had six hundreds of an inch of rain so far this month. So much for "April showers bring May flowers". I have started watering in the garden and will finish up this morning...
Yesterday when I was watering I notice flower buds on my Knock Out rose shrubs...I have two double petaled red roses and one double petaled pink one.....can't wait for the flowers and will take pictures!!!

Old 13 April 2012, 01:31 PM   #9088
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Leo, I have been coaxing the roses onto the chain link fence by tying them with small cotton fabric strips. They promptly grow through the other side and bloom facing the neighbor's yard. That's okay, though - maybe it will make them glad we tore out all that rotted wooden fencing and overgrowth last year. I think there will soon be plenty of blooms for us, too.

Finally found the name of the ivory rose - Buff Beauty. That was driving me nuts.

Hope to send the rain up your way. I really do hope to see pics of your gardens soon.
Old 14 April 2012, 02:18 AM   #9089
Lion
"TRF" Member

Lisa, your climbing roses are so beautiful..I wish I had room for some.....

There's not much to see yet but most all of my perennials came back and only about 40 bulbs sprouted out of the 150 or so I planted. I'm definitely pissed off at the Chicago Botanic Gardens and their bulb sale and will buy from mail order catalogues this fall. CBG did send me a $25.00 gift certificate to this year's fall bulb sale and will use it but that's all I'm buying from them!!!

As soon as I get some flowers I will post some pictures for you to see...I finished watering but now this weekend I have to finish cleaning up in the beds and borders and put down the 20 bags of mulch I bought.....

Old 17 April 2012, 06:31 AM   #9090
airking99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let's talk about men!

Er, would we get banned if we offended?
Of course you wouldn't offend by talking about men ha ha

I want to hear this though!!
airking99 is offline   Reply With Quote