The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 19 October 2016, 11:44 AM   #61
mmutte
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm 34 and This thread has given me a couple good chuckles. To be honest, I had a funny moment (at least in my eyes) regarding postage this week as well. I asked my business manager to place a personal letter in the mail for me at the office and as he was walking away, I jokingly said, "I'll bring the 39 cents for the stamp to you tomorrow"
he had a good laugh and said dude it hasn't been 39 cents for at least 10 years!!!

I seriously had no idea it was 47 cents, though I did address the letter myself!
Old 19 October 2016, 11:48 AM   #62
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
But just look at this thread, we've had 3 millenials post so far, all fairly sucessful, productive members of society, none of us have a problem filling out an envelope and nobody likes being classified by their generations worst.
Millenial here - Not successful, only mildly productive, but I do know how to fill out an envelope!

And no, I don't care if people call my generation the worst.

Here's why:

I learned from an early age that I cannot control what people say/do, only how I react to what people say/do. The way I see it, if people say that my generation is the worst, that is a poor reflection of them, not me.
Old 19 October 2016, 12:03 PM   #63
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Every generation has its issues. Period. And arguing about them is idiotic. We all have things we see about each one that makes us cringe. One of mine is that millennials as a group (not everyone) were excessively coddled and praised as they were raised (participation trophy anyone?). This has lead to a noticeable "I deserve it" attitude amongst many. The most noticeable place this seems to rear its head is in the workplace. Inexperienced kids straight out of school (again not everyone) come in the door expecting to work on the biggest project, have a great title, and start at 80k. Never gonna happen. The irony in this is that its their parents gen who are having to do the hiring and deal with the bs they instilled in them ("Go ahead Timmy. Your idea, though not distilled and irrelevant to the problem should be heard by all"). On the flip side many gen X'ers are jaded as hell, and geezers are cheap, boring, and don't know how to live...... . Really though, all I really have to say to the youngest folks on here (this goes for my gen too) is pull the headphones out for a few. You save yourself from tinnitus and might meet some cool people.
Yep
Old 19 October 2016, 12:51 PM   #64
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Millenial here - Not successful, only mildly productive, but I do know how to fill out an envelope!

And no, I don't care if people call my generation the worst.

Here's why:

I learned from an early age that I cannot control what people say/do, only how I react to what people say/do. The way I see it, if people say that my generation is the worst, that is a poor reflection of them, not me.
I remember when the baby boomers were called out for being lazy, drug addled hippies who would be the demise of America (remember Woodstock?). They run the world now.

The youngest generation will always be the good for nothing, don't know sh*t, underachievers. As we age and grow experienced we forget that we were once those young carefree goofballs that don't understand the way the world works. The more the world changes, the more it stays the same.
Old 19 October 2016, 12:52 PM   #65
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I remember when the baby boomers were called out for being lazy, drug addled hippies who would be the demise of America (remember Woodstock?). They run the world now.

The youngest generation will always be the good for nothing, don't know sh*t, underachievers. As we age and grow experienced we forget that we were once those young carefree goofballs that don't understand the way the world works. The more the world changes, the more it stays the same.
And that should be the end of this thread, well said.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 19 October 2016, 12:57 PM   #66
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Well said
Quote:

Old 19 October 2016, 03:54 PM   #67
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:

Well said!
Old 19 October 2016, 03:58 PM   #68
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wise words, my friend.
Old 19 October 2016, 10:47 PM   #69
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Old 20 October 2016, 06:30 AM   #70
BristolCavendish
Banned

Interesting thread. With the possible exception of technology, humanity on a global scale appears to be de-evolving. Modern conveniences tend to negate the need for practical & hands-on knowlege. With self-driving cars on the horizon, a '3 on the tree' column shift is hardly worth knowing about unless one is into vintage vehicles or older agricultural equipment. Modern technology = less thought & ability required to perform common tasks. This de-evolution of mankind is also prevalent in the arts, literature & music as various creative concepts are getting oversimplified & somewhat shallow due to generational laziness, ignorance & time measured commerical interests. As one gets older, conservative mindsets begin to kick-in as folks begin to focus more on long-term financial & mortality/health issues. Looking back, countless babyboomers became yuppies and a good number of GenXers are doing the same. The hippie & grunge movements were little more than youthful fashion statements. Now it's the Millenium generation's turn to question the status quo. Many are from entitled backgrounds & were incredibly spoiled by their upwardly mobile babyboomer parents who resented childhood spankings along with the occupational & competitive drive of their WW2 generation parents. Thus we have 'participation trophies' & scoreless youth soccer games so everyone can be perceived as a winner. This kind of BS is partly responsible for Millenial cluelessness & their apparent lack of direction. As I peruse the horizon with my binoculars from this fire lookout tower, I am somewhat grateful to be amongst the squirrels & chipmunks in the forest rather than the over-commercialized, self-serving vermin of the modern day urban/suburban world.
Old 20 October 2016, 07:07 AM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

I agree, I remember thinking back in the day, Oh, I'll never say "in my day" like those old fogies but the more I talk to teenagers and the changing and challenging lives they lead, the more I find myself saying it. The circle always turns and completes.
Old 20 October 2016, 08:30 AM   #72
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
One day our generation
Is gonna rule the population-John Mayer

Everyone takes a turn at the bottom. Everyone takes a turn at the top.

It's like the old tree of monkeys analogy. When you're at the top of the tree and look down all you see are monkeys. When you're on the bottom branch looking up all you see are a$$holes.

I do find it funny some of the things the new guys at work do and say but I also realize in each bunch my future boss could be lurking.
Old 20 October 2016, 10:55 AM   #73
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
i am 30, and wife is 34.

we both work in medical field. we work hard.

both of us served in the US Army as military officers.

wife has doctorate, I have 2 masters and working on the third.

I am frustrated each time I see the amount in taxes i pay each month.

we are setting the example, and expectation of hard work to our children age 3 and 5.

life is not fair.

i do think some are very lazy, and want hand outs.

hard work ethic is priceless regardless of age.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
Old 20 October 2016, 11:57 AM   #74
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
No doubt I'd be mad, but I haven't seen the inside of the post office in ages. I save upwards of 40% in shipping costs printing labels through ebay and my mailman picks up my packages. Life is great in that aspect.

I did overreact, long day at work and rough patch these past few weeks. But broad generalizations like these are fairly annoying. Especially when I see so many people my age working their hinds off so they can do something with their life.
One of my favorite quotes of all time is from George Carlin though, "think of how stupid the average American is, then realize half of them are dumber than that". As long as you remember that,, you will never be surprised by stupidity again.

It looks like you have a lot of bad days at work. Maybe it's time for a career change or at least see if your company will reimburse you for anger management classes under tuition reimbursement benefits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2016, 12:04 PM   #75
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
It looks like you have a lot of bad days at work. Maybe it's time for a career change or at least see if your company will reimburse you for anger management classes under tuition reimbursement benefits

Look, I didn'tsell you the purses, cut your losses and move on . And before we both get banned I'd suggest we both stfu. Because the chanel thread was closed for a reason. Dont like me? Press that ignore button.
Old 20 October 2016, 12:51 PM   #76
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

Renato always pivots to playground bully insults and cheap shots when he realizes he's lost the argument. There's a business psychology term for this that escapes me at the moment.

Short answer, Greg won the argument.

Let's move on
Old 20 October 2016, 01:23 PM   #77
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Look, I didn'tsell you the purses, cut your losses and move on . And before we both get banned I'd suggest we both stfu. Because the chanel thread was closed for a reason. Dont like me? Press that ignore button.
I don't pay retail so I'm far from butthurt, as you like to say.

Ignore you? never. I like the child like cheap jabs you throw out after spewing nonsense and getting called out on it.
Old 20 October 2016, 01:24 PM   #78
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Renato always pivots to playground bully insults and cheap shots when he realizes he's lost the argument. There's a business psychology term for this that escapes me at the moment.

Short answer, Greg won the argument.

Let's move on
I admit when I'm wrong and far from a bully. I just don't get into arguments on topics I know nothing about
Old 20 October 2016, 01:30 PM   #79
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
I don't pay retail so I'm far from butthurt, as you like to say.

Ignore you? never. I like the child like cheap jabs you throw out after spewing nonsense and getting called out on it.

RR-NYC "My counterpoint to you is that Chanel doesn't need to discount because they sell through 99.999999% of their stores."

So you're full of sh*+ and argumentative, I digress.
Old 20 October 2016, 01:32 PM   #80
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Nice language...
Old 20 October 2016, 01:35 PM   #81
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Come on, fellas... How about agreeing to disagree and trying to move forward, continuing to enjoy this wonderful forum. We're all here because of common interests / shared passion for fine watches etc.Life's too short, let's be grateful for the fact we can even argue about this and simply move forward.
Old 20 October 2016, 01:38 PM   #82
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I admit when I'm wrong and far from a bully. I just don't get into arguments on topics I know nothing about
You're stalking. You brought your Chanel purse argument over to this thread.

Everyone wants to move on, but you won't let it go. You're becoming toxic.
Old 20 October 2016, 01:56 PM   #83
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
RR-NYC "My counterpoint to you is that Chanel doesn't need to discount because they sell through 99.999999% of their stores."

So you're full of sh*+ and argumentative, I digress.
I'm not even sure what this quote is trying to address so I'll make 2 simple statements that even you can understand.

Point 1. Chanel has 99% sell through. That's a fact. How many people do you know there?

Point 2. I'm not "butthurt", as you like to say, for buying Chanel because I don't pay retail. Not at Chanel or LVMH and not at any Kering company either. Its one of the perks for knowing the industry and the people in it.

If I'm so full of shit, kindly send me a PM with all the proof of it. Pretty please and I'll send you a trophy
Old 20 October 2016, 01:57 PM   #84
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
You're stalking. You brought your Chanel purse argument over to this thread.

Everyone wants to move on, but you won't let it go. You're becoming toxic.
Not at all. I was responding to his post in this thread.

In fact, I didn't even mention the thread or Chanel. You did and he did.

Nice try, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.02.26 AM.jpg (44.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 20 October 2016, 02:02 PM   #85
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Not at all. I was responding to his post in this thread.

In fact, I didn't even mention the thread or Chanel. You did and he did.

Nice try, though. You can't google, cut and paste everything you post
Toxic.
Old 20 October 2016, 02:02 PM   #86
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
I'm not even sure what this quote is trying to address so I'll make 2 simple statements that even you can understand.

Point 1. Chanel has 99% sell through. That's a fact. How many people do you know there?

Point 2. I'm not "butthurt", as you like to say, for buying Chanel because I don't pay retail. Not at Chanel or LVMH and not at any Kering company either. Its one of the perks for knowing the industry and the people in it.

If I'm so full of shit, kindly send me a PM with all the proof of it. Pretty please and I'll send you a trophy
They don't discount, but you don't pay retail. I honestly don't know what you're arguing about, because at first I said that Chanel was a poor investment, You seem to have agreed a few times, I said that I've seen Chanel on sale, you told me you'd give me $100 to prove it. Now you're saying you don't pay retail for a brand that apparently doesn't go on sale, but you're SO special you get a discount. You sound like a child with a particiation trophy to me. Im sure there's plenty of other people enjoying the perks of knowing people in the industry (sounds like a fancy way of saying "sale" to me personally, but I don't want you to feel any less important for spending so much money, after all you couldn't afford not to buy it with those savings they offered.)
Old 20 October 2016, 02:09 PM   #87
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
They don't discount, but you don't pay retail. I hhonestly don't know what you're arguing about, because at first I said that Chanel was a poor investment, You seem to havrle agreed a few times, I said that I've seen Chanel on sale, you told me you'd gove me $100 to prove it. Now you're saying you don't pay retail for a brand that apparently doesn't go on sale, but you're SO special you ge a discount. You sound like a child with a particiation trophy to me. Im sure there's plenty of other people enjoying the perks of knowing people in the industry (sounds like a fancy way of saying "sale" to me personally, but I don't want you to feel any less important for spending so much money, after all you couldn't afford not to buy it with those savings they offered.
I really feel badly for your lack of understanding. I'm not arguing with you anymore because quite honestly, you just don't get it and I'm gonna guess its not limited to this topic either.

Go back to delivering mail to the post office or whatever it is that you said you do.
Old 20 October 2016, 02:11 PM   #88
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Toxic.
Keep googling my friend...
Closed Thread