The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 26 June 2016, 12:03 AM   #1
buybeach
"TRF" Member

Replacement dial and hands for 118238

I hope I am posting in the right place. I would like to know what the cost would be to change the dials and hands on a K-serial model 118238 to the style shown in this photo assuming there is no technical impediment or incompatibility.

I am seeking info on what an AD or Authorized Service Center would charge, not a repro, a refinished dial or some other non-factory parts. Also would one assume the old parts would be returned to the customer?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
buybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2016, 06:03 AM   #2
steviebeat
"TRF" Member

It depends, if they think it needs a service ie if they think it won't continue to function within specification for the next 2 years they will only do it if you have a service at the same time in which case they will only charge for the dial and hands not for the fitting.

If its in good shape mechanically they will charge if I remember correctly around £200 just to fit the dial so the cost of the dial and hands on top of that... so its worth it just to get the service too in a lot of cases.
steviebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2016, 07:41 AM   #3
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

I am not sure about president dials in particular, but the Rolex Service centers are presently charging $550+ for replacement contemporary Sub/GMT dials, plus I think $150-200 for a complete set of hands. And like the other poster said, it's unlikely that they will do the swap at all without having a service on the movement performed at the same time ($600). Another alternative might be to source the dial yourself in the grey market and have a qualified independent watchmaker install it for you.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2016, 07:52 AM   #4
steviebeat
"TRF" Member

Also any time I changed a dial I returned the old one to the client, if I remember correctly the official line from Rolex is if the client asks for it give it to them, if they don't just keep it.

I would take it to an independent, they are much more likely to give an honest opinion on whether it needs a service or not. I changed loads of dials without a service but I have a feeling going direct to Rolex wouldn't be like that..but I could be wrong.
steviebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2016, 12:24 AM   #5
buybeach
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Watch is running like champ but it is due for a service in any case so no objection to doing it all at once. But I have no clue what a USA AD would charge for the dial and the hands, if anyone knows please let me know. Thanks in advance.
buybeach is offline   Reply With Quote