The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one...Platinum Daytona vs 5712/1A Patek
Platinum Daytona 73 52.14%
5712/1A Patek 67 47.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 November 2019, 01:22 AM   #31
Ghost410
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Platinum Daytona 10 times out of 10. The Patel shape has always been unpleasant for me
Ghost410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 01:26 AM   #32
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

I made this exact choice a little while ago and traded my 5712 (plus cash!) for a Platona. It's a very hard choice imo. I'll try to be as objective as possible.

The Patek is beautifully finished both inside and out, looks great when new, and has a bit more exclusivity and WIS cred. The Platona has heft, more wrist presence while still staying stealthy, and is far tougher from the top of its brown ceramic bezel to the bottom of its easylink clasp. The platinum just somehow glows which is cool.

As actual functioning watches, they both have weaknesses. The Patek is a gorgeous object though arguably a terrible watch: unreadable complications on the dial, missing hour markers are annoying, power reserve useless for a daily, dinky clasp with no micoradjustment. The Platona also has issues with legibility, chrono doesn't get used much and the colors are not to everyone's taste. Some argue that the weight is a problem but if properly fitted you don't even notice it, and I rather like it.

I just got a bit tired of babying the Patek. Can't stand how fragile the bezel is, it's impossible to get a correct fit with no microadjustment, and I think once it starts to get beat up, the watch looks horrible. I know, I know, queue up the guys who proudly treat the 5712 like a g-shock. That's not me. Also the Patek is going to need servicing far more often, and these are 6-month, multi-thousand-dollar affairs (each).

I miss the 5712 for its sheer beauty but I wear the Platona as a daily and don't really worry about it.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 01:34 AM   #33
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

Which would you....?

This is a tough one - I’m not crazy about asymmetric dials but that 5712/a is beautiful. I think if it came down to it I probably would still go with PP, even though the Platona is a beautiful and versatile watch that dial color just doesn’t speak to me the way the blue on the PP does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigMac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 01:39 AM   #34
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Of the 2 I'd pick the Patek. I have a childhood aversion to wearing the color brown otherwise I'd go for the Rolex. I do like the blue dial of the Patek.
Old 3 November 2019, 02:15 AM   #35
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
I made this exact choice a little while ago and traded my 5712 (plus cash!) for a Platona. It's a very hard choice imo. I'll try to be as objective as possible.

The Patek is beautifully finished both inside and out, looks great when new, and has a bit more exclusivity and WIS cred. The Platona has heft, more wrist presence while still staying stealthy, and is far tougher from the top of its brown ceramic bezel to the bottom of its easylink clasp. The platinum just somehow glows which is cool.

As actual functioning watches, they both have weaknesses. The Patek is a gorgeous object though arguably a terrible watch: unreadable complications on the dial, missing hour markers are annoying, power reserve useless for a daily, dinky clasp with no micoradjustment. The Platona also has issues with legibility, chrono doesn't get used much and the colors are not to everyone's taste. Some argue that the weight is a problem but if properly fitted you don't even notice it, and I rather like it.

I just got a bit tired of babying the Patek. Can't stand how fragile the bezel is, it's impossible to get a correct fit with no microadjustment, and I think once it starts to get beat up, the watch looks horrible. I know, I know, queue up the guys who proudly treat the 5712 like a g-shock. That's not me. Also the Patek is going to need servicing far more often, and these are 6-month, multi-thousand-dollar affairs (each).

I miss the 5712 for its sheer beauty but I wear the Platona as a daily and don't really worry about it.
Excellent perspective....thank you!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 02:20 AM   #36
SearChart
TechXpert

The Nautilus feels cheap and overhyped, I wouldn't even want to pay retail for that. It is a 15k watch at most IMO.

Platona it is for me.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 02:37 AM   #37
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The Nautilus feels cheap and overhyped, I wouldn't even want to pay retail for that. It is a 15k watch at most IMO.

Platona it is for me.
+1 to the both of you.

The Patek has a nice looking bracelet- that's about all that appeals to me.
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 02:47 AM   #38
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl65 View Post
5712 without a doubt for me but at retail from ad.

+1
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 03:17 AM   #39
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
+1
Yeah....that’s the difficult part for most.
Old 3 November 2019, 03:32 AM   #40
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Daytona - stronger mechanism, ceramic bezel. With daily use, Nautilus will quickly lose the gloss of polished bezel faces.
Old 3 November 2019, 04:02 AM   #41
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Is that PP also Platinum? If it’s a stainless steel watch than this isn’t even a fair comparison.
There’s no way in the world I’m choosing a steel Patek over a Platinum Daytona.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 04:05 AM   #42
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Patek 5712/1A, I guess, but... I'd rather save up for something else.
Old 3 November 2019, 04:09 AM   #43
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
Is that PP also Platinum? If it’s a stainless steel watch than this isn’t even a fair comparison.

There’s no way in the world I’m choosing a steel Patek over a Platinum Daytona.

The Patek is steel. If it was platinum it would be a $250K watch if not more. Not kidding. Platinum 5711 pricing has gone crazy.
Old 3 November 2019, 05:16 AM   #44
rmlovett1

Quote:
The Patek is steel. If it was platinum it would be a $250K watch if not more. Not kidding. Platinum 5711 pricing has gone crazy.
Yeah....can you imagine? :)
Old 3 November 2019, 06:08 AM   #45
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Yeah....can you imagine? :)
Right!? It's lunacy. This 5711P sold over $400K at auction. Supposedly, only 30-50 made:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/.../lot.2272.html
Old 3 November 2019, 07:24 AM   #46
rmlovett1

Quote:
Right!? It's lunacy. This 5711P sold over $400K at auction. Supposedly, only 30-50 made:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/.../lot.2272.html
Absolute craziness!
Old 3 November 2019, 10:51 PM   #47
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

Platona it is for me.

It was surprising to me how chintzy the 5711 bracelet felt to me in hand. Get the same feeling with my AP RO. Felt amazing to put my PM oyster bracelet back on with the satisfying *click* of the clasp when done
Old 3 November 2019, 10:57 PM   #48
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
They are both nice no doubt. But my thought is strictly from a value and price point of view, which many on TRF say is silly but I think is very important.

If you can buy either at retail, go 5712. If going grey then buy the Daytona.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote