The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 October 2019, 01:20 PM   #31
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I would say dato. Zeitwerk is a unique watch, but not what i think when I think about a watch. Dufour cant be wrong about it. I would also look into 1815 chrono as well. Great value for the money.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 09:22 PM   #32
PJ S
Banned

^
Philippe DuFour, whilst highly revered, and rightly so, is still just a man – he puts his trousers on exactly the same way as everyone else does.
His personal preference isn’t the only option in existence, and is a conscious decision based on a combination of factors. There’s no right or wrong involved.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 04:27 PM   #33
Pongster
"TRF" Member

All along i thought i was deadset on a zeitwerk as my second Lange (my first being a Grand Lange 1 moonphase in Pt), now i am having the same dilemma that the OP had.

I like the flyback function of the Datograph. I love flybacks period.

But the zeitwerk does sing to me as something quintessentially Lange.

Was even thinking of a striking time. But will be happy with the basic variant.

For the datograph, not looking at the perp or other more complicated variants. Just the flyback. Not sure which Datograph Dufour wears. But that should not be the deciding factor in this dilemma.

Fortunately, i found one seller who sells both. At good prices.

Given the lockdown, i have time to ruminate.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 07:43 PM   #34
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
All along i thought i was deadset on a zeitwerk as my second Lange (my first being a Grand Lange 1 moonphase in Pt), now i am having the same dilemma that the OP had.

I like the flyback function of the Datograph. I love flybacks period.

But the zeitwerk does sing to me as something quintessentially Lange.

Was even thinking of a striking time. But will be happy with the basic variant.

For the datograph, not looking at the perp or other more complicated variants. Just the flyback. Not sure which Datograph Dufour wears. But that should not be the deciding factor in this dilemma.

Fortunately, i found one seller who sells both. At good prices.

Given the lockdown, i have time to ruminate.
Dufour wears the original smaller Dato in rose gold with black dial. It is a lovely piece but have to say I find the larger newer version a perfect fit on my wrist - and I don’t like large pieces. For this reason I also went with the standard Zeitwerk as the striking/date etc are all much larger at >44 mm compared to standard piece at <42mm.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 02:11 AM   #35
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I had the dato up/down, but swapped to the wg/black dial zeitwerk. I think the zeitwerk wears better for me. I also have a Lange 1 and typically prefer smaller watches
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 07:52 AM   #36
kzou
"TRF" Member

Had my wrist allowed me to wear the zeitwerk date I'd have gone for it immediately. Dato is great, but just always felt a bit too chunky for me, for chronos I prefer the 1815 actuslly
kzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 11:47 AM   #37
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmehdija View Post
I am a huge fan of Lange and am finally thinking of getting one. It is super expensive so I am overthinking the decision a lot. HELP me please! I have narrowed it down to a Zeitwerk (black on black, maybe with Striking Time) and a Datograph (gold with black dial, or maybe even perpetual calendar with the gray dial if I can get a decent deal on it). Both are available from AD, and I think I can negotiate them below retail (at least a bit).
Zeitwerk Striking Time - Every time. It's fantastic!!! My Grail!
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 05:05 PM   #38
base924
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
...Personally though, if anyone here is considering a Striking Time make sure you buy one that was manufactured last 2-3 years as they fixed the need to pre-load the minute digit just before it changes, so it's a much nicer instantaneous change now. For me, I'd pay a significant premium for this fix as it's something you see (or now don't see) every minute. The same may be true for the standard Zeitwerk, I'm not sure.
I can confirm that it has been fixed for the standard Zeitwerk. You can easily spot the differences on the movement side. In fact it is a rather big "upgrade" with different bridge layout. Hint: Look at the bridge over the flywheel. There is no cutout anymore.
base924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 05:22 PM   #39
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by base924 View Post
I can confirm that it has been fixed for the standard Zeitwerk. You can easily spot the differences on the movement side. In fact it is a rather big "upgrade" with different bridge layout. Hint: Look at the bridge over the flywheel. There is no cutout anymore.
I don't believe that change is for the pre-load on the minute disc (unless I've missed a recent update) - I was told by Robert Hoffmann (head of Zeitwerk) that the change to the bridge I believe you are referring to is to improve adjustment of the piece - perhaps you can post pics of the change? It is however part of Lange's DNA that if there is a fix for the pre-load they will make the change when the piece is serviced.
Old 23 April 2020, 05:31 PM   #40
base924
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I don't believe that change is for the pre-load on the minute disc (unless I've missed a recent update) - I was told by Robert Hoffmann (head of Zeitwerk) that the change to the bridge you mention is to improve adjustment of the piece. It is however part of Lange's DNA that if there is a fix for the pre-load they will make the change when the piece is serviced.
Oh, you misunderstood me. This is just one of several ways to spot the updated movement. The bridge cutout is not involved in the pre-load as you say.
But the pre-jump IS fixed and also it is not possible to upgrade older movements, so a good heads-up if you are looking for a piece on the secondary market.

I own a Zeitwerk myself and was lucky be invited to visit the Zeitwerk department last year ;-)

Also beware that the movement pics on Langes website is from a prototype movement, as I was told. So you wont get that ;-)
base924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2020, 05:40 PM   #41
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by base924 View Post
Oh, you misunderstood me. This is just one of several ways to spot the updated movement. The bridge cutout is not involved in the pre-load as you say.
But the pre-jump IS fixed and also it is not possible to upgrade older movements, so a good heads-up if you are looking for a piece on the secondary market.

I own a Zeitwerk myself and was lucky be invited to visit the Zeitwerk department last year ;-)

Also beware that the movement pics on Langes website is from a prototype movement, as I was told ;-)
Ah, interesting.
Well I know my Phantom was upgraded when serviced as some changes are easy to spot even to my untrained eye. Wasn't aware the preload was now fixed although it sounds like it's not going to be a service upgrade.

Edit: Just checked with the factory and it was about 2.5 years ago the preload was fixed, not upgradeable and no change to the movement number - you just need to check for preload to know if it is a Mark 1 or Mark 2. Many thanks for the info.