The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 June 2020, 05:53 AM   #61
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
Koolpep, how’s your GS holding up? Any regrets? Thank you.

No regrets. It’s lovely. Works perfectly, I love it, but a bit less than my Tudor. The quartz movement and finishing is perfect, case scratches quite easily but so does the BB GMT.... clasp of the GS is really mediocre. No micro adjust is not cool nowadays. But overall that dial and the overall look and feel is amazing. Am warming up more and more to the two GSs I have. Had problems “connecting” at first. Also getting used to the size (smaller than my usuals)...
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 05:57 AM   #62
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand, perhaps you can enlighten me further. What is it that makes the GS GMT more unique than the BB GMT?

The BB GMT hour hand can be adjusted separately to the minute hand while the time still ticks away. It is a true GMT, as Is the Rolex GMT Master. I believe that this Caliber MT5652 movement is a completely new movement made in-house by Tudor.

Yes, there have been some issues with the date wheel, I've not seen this in my 18 months of ownership.

You would normally only hear active complaints from people that have had issues and people that have heard there can be issues. Not normally from users that have not had an issue, this always will look like there are more with issues than not.

I'm pretty ignorant towards the GS GMT, 50yrs without servicing is pretty impressive but does it not need the battery changing every couple of years by Seiko or a professional service centre or something?

I had the date issue twice, still recommend the BB GMT. Surely a silent majority has no issues OR never realizes they have issues....

Battery of the GS needs changing every 3 years. Since the movement is encapsulated from the battery part, the change can be done with any watchmaker. But I would recommend doing it with Seiko..
Old 29 June 2020, 07:46 AM   #63
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
You can change the battery yourself with a $20 caseback opener or Seiko will do it free with a pressure test at any Service Centre. I got mine done a couple of weeks ago.
Old 29 June 2020, 04:12 PM   #64
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
You can change the battery yourself with a $20 caseback opener or Seiko will do it free with a pressure test at any Service Centre. I got mine done a couple of weeks ago.
Awesome - good to know indeed.
Old 29 June 2020, 04:35 PM   #65
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
Awesome - good to know indeed.
Yeah, I had a Golden Tuna that needed a new five-year battery and pressure test, too, which is not a DIY job, so I took the GS along, with the warranty card that gets you a free battery change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8785.jpg (180.0 KB, 94 views)
Old 29 June 2020, 06:18 PM   #66
Oaker1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
I have both watches - the Grand Seiko is never off my wrist where as the Tudor is still in its box and safe 2 yrs after purchase.

The GS is superb and about 100% accurate- yes its quartz but who cares really, the Tudor is a beast really big and heavy the GS is light slim line and beautifully proportioned.
I am also considering the GS GMT quartz, I do like it a lot; but the lack of clasp micro adjustment is putting me off. Does the Tudor have micro adjustment on the bracelet?
Oaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 12:20 AM   #67
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker1 View Post
I am also considering the GS GMT quartz, I do like it a lot; but the lack of clasp micro adjustment is putting me off. Does the Tudor have micro adjustment on the bracelet?
Yes. Also not the best but at least something.
Old 2 July 2020, 01:55 AM   #68
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
I would go with the GS Quartz instead of the BB GMT. There is a beauty to the 9F movements. It isn't the same as a $2 Quartz movement you'd typically associate Quartz watches with. Also, for me the potential problems with the BB GMT would be a deal breaker.
My two main issues with the BB GMT are the thickness, and the faact when the watch does go in for service, instead of doing a movement service Tudor will dispose of the caliber in the serviced watch and install a re-manufactured one.

So this begs the question, which is better; a handmade quartz movement that will be with the watch for the rest of it's life or, a mechanical movement that is essentially disposable?
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 02:09 AM   #69
Mr Wolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: It!
I'm lead to believe that the BB GMT movement has only been changed under warranty when the date wheel problem appears. If I was to send mine for service I would request that they service the watch I've sent and only replace the parts required, as they would normally do with a service.

Unless someone can confirm something different from experience.
Mr Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:14 AM   #70
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Tudor just released a BB58 in a blue dial. Love the dimensions, and the matte blue dial. I’m still leaning towards the GS quartz.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:49 AM   #71
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Yeah, I had a Golden Tuna that needed a new five-year battery and pressure test, too, which is not a DIY job, so I took the GS along, with the warranty card that gets you a free battery change.
Love that day date GS.

It's a beauty. Wish I picked one up while in Tokyo in November, when I visited Wako.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote