The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 June 2020, 09:35 AM   #91
Piguette
Banned

Silly
Piguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:48 AM   #92
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I FIGURED OUT THE MYSTERY

Rolex is desperate to fill AD orders, thereby reducing the availability complaints on TRF. The factory is buying every piece they can from grey dealers and auction houses, then refurb'ing them to fill AD orders.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 03:24 PM   #93
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Someone is trying to experiment if they can make the GMT go for Daytona levels of pricing.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 04:52 PM   #94
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

pepsi
daytona
nautilus

BNIB grey trading close to 2x retail price.

and 20 years old preowned trading at current model retail price

they are the king of kings

no other stainless steel sports normal production watches can come close to rolex and patek

but rolex has much more market demand across all its other sports model ranging from explorers to divers

Rolex number 1
patek number 2
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 05:06 PM   #95
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Hate to break the news but fiat currency ain't what it used to be.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 06:33 PM   #96
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
Hate to break the news but fiat currency ain't what it used to be.

Ahh, but isn’t that a defining characteristic of fiat currency?
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:58 PM   #97
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
Ahh, but isn’t that a defining characteristic of fiat currency?
True that. The privately-owned Federal Reserve's Dollar debt currency product is devalued well over 95% since inception.

Easy math, as 2% inflation compounded annually over a mere 20 years is ~50% devaluation of said currency. So when you're 20 and starting a 'real job', prices should double (half value) by the time you're only 40. It doubles again (half value) by the time you're hoping to retire at 60.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 1 July 2020, 12:02 AM   #98
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I sometimes wonder about online auction results like are some prices fabricated just to keep up prices.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:30 AM   #99
Dino77
"TRF" Member

Laundering this is why
Dino77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:50 AM   #100
Rolexlov
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509; 116500LN
Very unique scenario, not common, this is almost the price to buy a WG Daytona, and you can buy a new one around CHF 16,500
Rolexlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 12:20 AM   #101
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m808FcxWYI
Old 2 July 2020, 12:28 AM   #102
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

A Solid Gold Sub sold for less. Sorry but that is dumb.
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 12:34 AM   #103
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
Interesting art auction results. Seems the old axiom is correct, "cash is trash".

Old 2 July 2020, 01:47 AM   #104
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Interesting art auction results. Seems the old axiom is correct, "cash is trash".

u get the point
Old 2 July 2020, 02:39 AM   #105
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

irrational pricing can happen from time to time, especially when the outstanding float is low (# of available units to trade, given characteristics, uniqueness, etc) and the "story" is sold well to people with deep pockets.

Look at some stocks that went up 10 times past 2 years. Shares of Shopify traded at below $100 just couple of years prior. Now it's close to $1k a share. I have a couple of coworkers that became millionaires with this stock, past year.

Yes, shares of Shopify are grossly over valued based on any financial metric you look at. What's happening here is that float is low and the CEO / management are very skilled at selling themselves as the company of future.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 02:40 AM   #106
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh Gentleman View Post
irrational pricing can happen from time to time, especially when the outstanding float is low (# of available units to trade, given characteristics, uniqueness, etc) and the "story" is sold well to people with deep pockets.

Look at some stocks that went up 10 times past 2 years. Shares of Shopify traded at below $100 just couple of years prior. Now it's close to $1k a share. I have a couple of coworkers that became millionaires with this stock, past year.

Yes, shares of Shopify are grossly over valued based on any financial metric you look at. What's happening here is that float is low and the CEO / management are very skilled at selling themselves as the company of future.
That makes sense and probably hit the nail on the head
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 03:07 AM   #107
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:

Compared to so many overvalued traditional (insane P/E ratios) and alternative investments such as sneakers air Jordan’s and Lego.

Watches trading at these prices are relatively good store of value compared to china made plastic toys or shoes or overpriced stock markets
Old 2 July 2020, 04:03 AM   #108
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
Compared to so many overvalued traditional (insane P/E ratios) and alternative investments such as sneakers air Jordan’s and Lego.

Watches trading at these prices are relatively good store of value compared to china made plastic toys or shoes or overpriced stock markets

Not saying many stocks are not over valued, because they are even with the most rosy of projections (Shopify), but you don't value certain stocks using PE ratio. PE ratio is useful for asset-heavy businesses with predictable / low earnings growth.

Stock picking is combination of art and science. It is about projecting cash flow growth and margins from that cash flow growth, out into future. As you can see, a lot of variables and speculation can go into this.

You'd have missed out buying AMZN when it was $150 a share several years prior, using PE ratio, thinking it was "over valued" at that time.

And yea, I don't understand why some people would pay $1-2k for a China factory made Air Jordan sneakers.. but then again, I am sure some others would look at my Rolex GMT's and wonder why I would drop $12-16k on a steel watch when you can get an Omega for a fraction of that price.

I try not to critique people's purchase decisions.. as long as it's within reason. We all have different tastes.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 05:49 AM   #109
putterlert
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO, SS Daytona
As much as I would like to believe (being a Pepsi owner myself) that someone willingly paid this much for it, we have to consider the possibility that Rolex (yes, Rolex) was a player in this.

What better way to firm up prices post COVID by shilling your watches in a Geneva auction? Let's be real, Rolex is a master of creating artificial demand for their watches -- hence the craziness we have in the SS market today. Makes sense that most winning bids came from phone buyers too.

Also, most rich people aren't stupid, or else they wouldn't stay rich for long...

Definitely very fishy, be it money laundering or Rolex doing some shenanigans.
putterlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 06:06 AM   #110
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's still a lot of money they had to be putting into that specific stock.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 06:31 AM   #111
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I sometimes wonder about online auction results like are some prices fabricated just to keep up prices.
Might be. I’ve downloaded all 16710 prices from Chrono24 two weeks ago, and will do the same tomorrow. From what I’ve seen, mean prices are increasing but without all the data, can’t be sure.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:16 AM   #112
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
I didn’t know that Rolex buying there own watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:28 AM   #113
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymike83 View Post
I didn’t know that Rolex buying there own watches?

More conspiracy theory, less fact.
Old 3 July 2020, 09:49 AM   #114
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
More conspiracy theory, less fact.

Rolex is not going to out and say we buy our own watches. No one is crazy about to spend that type of money. You can get the pre owned one today for half of the auction price.

moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote