The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2021, 04:24 AM   #31
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Think some of the newer members possibly live on fantasy island by looking at one source like Chrono24.
Fantasy island
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 04:44 AM   #32
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Don’t know where to start with this really. Math is blowing my mind. 1 per cent yeah right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 04:52 AM   #33
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Approx watches manufactured over a year Vs one day For Sale ads on a solitary source...

OK, so using your special style of math:

1M watches per year =
~2740 /day made
11307 for sale/day on C24
therefore 400% of Rolex are being flipped on C24.

( can't be arsed to work out the actual percentage, because why bother.)
Old 8 October 2021, 05:26 AM   #34
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

The entire premise for this thread is based on some of the worst statistical analysis I have ever seen. No way you could come up with this number based on anything on Chrono24.

Watches get sold on ebay, Joma, through walking in to a grey market dealer, pawn shops, private deals, etc.
mjwalter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:28 AM   #35
absoluteczech
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
I thought I'd do a quick search on Chrono 24 for current 2020-2021 model Rolex watches. only 11307 are for sale of the approx 1,000,000 produced. That's only 1.13% that have been flipped and have made it onto the grey market. There may be others sold from Grey without advertising which might increase it a bit but not to the degree the conspiracy theorists on TRF might want us to believe that ADs sell all their watches to greys directly. Even if ADs got it right 95% of the time and only 5% got flipped I'd still think they were doing a decent job of picking real watch lovers. Just a bit of food for thought.........
What kind of caveman logic is this
absoluteczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:50 AM   #36
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
I suspected that the real Rolex's were only being sold at Chrono24. This confirms it.
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 07:32 AM   #37
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Around here, it feels more like 95% are flipped, 5% are actually wearer. :D
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 07:35 AM   #38
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
It’s common knowledge enough to be somewhat rooted in truth

But

1- we don’t know how many sports Rolex are made. Maybe 100,000?
2- Chrono24 isn’t the only game in town

To that end, I’d say at least double, if not triple the amount on Chrono24 is the real number of watches being sold, and so we are really talking about 20-30% of all sports Rolex sold are flipped
That would be my guess. 1%?
No way
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 07:51 AM   #39
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not know what the percentage of retail buyers is who re-sell their watches quickly but I would think it is less than 10 percent in any year. The scarcer the watches get and the higher the used market wholesale buy price is, the more folks will sell. Its just human nature to take profits, even if that was not the intention when buying the watch in the first place.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 07:59 AM   #40
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Only 1.13% of Rolexes are flipped

Quote:
I thought I'd do a quick search on Chrono 24 for current 2020-2021 model Rolex watches. only 11307 are for sale of the approx 1,000,000 produced. That's only 1.13% that have been flipped and have made it onto the grey market. There may be others sold from Grey without advertising which might increase it a bit but not to the degree the conspiracy theorists on TRF might want us to believe that ADs sell all their watches to greys directly. Even if ADs got it right 95% of the time and only 5% got flipped I'd still think they were doing a decent job of picking real watch lovers. Just a bit of food for thought.........

Your assumption is that bulk of the flipped Rolexes are listed on Chrono24. I cannot tell whether that’s true

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 08:32 AM   #41
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Even if the Chrono24 number is accurate, it is a snapshot. The use of Rolex’s annual volume (even if we agree on 1MM) is not a valid statistical model. One would need to calculate actual Chrono24 annual Rolex sales volume to have numerical validity.

But of course Chrono24 is just one channel for flipping (as others have pointed out).

IMHO, there is no logic in the model as put forth nor the conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:30 AM   #42
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
All BNIB watches flow from Rolex to the gray. Chrono 24 is one snap shot on one day. That does not account for the hundreds of gray dealers that have new stock on the daily, Daytona, GMT’s and the like. Take in mind there are only 380 AD in the world.

Your data is skewed by a good margin. To get the data you are after you would have to track that on a rolling basis along with the countless other gray dealers. But all gray watches and it’s a lot, and they have new stock daily, comes from the AD.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:42 AM   #43
Brny11
"TRF" Member

This logic is very off. I’d be embarrassed if I was OP lol.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:48 AM   #44
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
I know a few grays with a few hundred Rolex not on C24. So this conclusion is based on flawed input

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 11:37 AM   #45
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Sadly your data is flawed. You’ve used just one sales channel to construct your theory while contemplating unknown manufacturing data.

I base my synopsis on a simple notion. The sellers you call “greys” dwarf by a magnitude of multiple exponentials the available watches on Chrono24.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 12:43 PM   #46
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
So many missing variables to make this logic seem sound…
I'm late to the party, you took my exact comment

I won't even go crazy mentioning all of them, how about just a couple - what if the Chrono24 inventory turns over daily, or weekly? If 1.5% are sold every few days on Chrono, then the total is really quite high for the year. (Of course, I know all watches for sale don't sell every day, just exaggerating for the point.) Or maybe, there's only 11307 left for sale from the original 900,000 listed?
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 12:44 PM   #47
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Fantasy island
That is hysterical!!
Old 8 October 2021, 05:41 PM   #48
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Data is not accurate. Please close thread.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:05 PM   #49
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I do not know what the percentage of retail buyers is who re-sell their watches quickly but I would think it is less than 10 percent in any year. The scarcer the watches get and the higher the used market wholesale buy price is, the more folks will sell. Its just human nature to take profits, even if that was not the intention when buying the watch in the first place.
This whole exercise was - of course - tongue in cheek to gauge reaction. So many posts here (including answers to this thread) seem to believe that all sports models are sold direct to Grey dealers when there is actually very little evidence to support this practice. As someone who watches Chrono 24 pretty regularly, there are many new Rolex watches that stay on for many, many months. When I purchased a watch from a well known Grey dealer in SE Asia earlier this year, I was informed that, although the watch photos were accurate, they didn't actually have the watch in their possession and it would take 3 days for the proof of postage to me to be issued. The truth is that a lot of watches are not really in the hands of Grey dealers at all, they remain in private ownership with individuals speculating that they will sell their watch to the grey for a profit, of which the grey takes a commission. The actual number of watches that sell via this route is, of course, never known. As much as everyone seems happy to throw daggers at my statistics, they also seem reluctant to accept that most watches go to loving owners who sit on the waiting list and are not douches and have a decent relationship with their AD. They may be VIPs with a lot of purchase history and many are not. The fact that Rolex in many countries has instructed ADs to limit watch sales to even VIPs to make the distribution to Mr Average who has waited for several years for their dream watch is incredibly reassuring. I will happily accept that the true figure is probably around 10-20% and will happily put down the gauntlet to others to provide their own statistics to DISPROVE it :-)
RolexSimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:18 PM   #50
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Think some of the newer members possibly live on fantasy island by looking at one source like Chrono24.
I think you are giving some members way too much credit Pete.

1.13%?

Good one Simon.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:20 PM   #51
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I think you are giving some members way too much credit Pete.

1.13%?

OK Pete - Ozzy to Ozzy, what do you mean by that?
RolexSimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:24 PM   #52
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
OK Pete - Ozzy to Ozzy, what do you mean by that?
I think you got your TIC reaction.

As you said this was not a serious thread...right?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:29 PM   #53
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry but that logic is flawed. The million figure, even if it were accurate, covers the entire year. Your Chrono search just reflects what is available right now, not what was sold a few days/months ago or will be listed for sale in the future. If we assume what’s for sale renews itself about every two to three weeks, you can multiply your number by a factor of at least 15-20. If anything the proportion of watches that end up on Chrono seems enormous by that math.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 06:30 PM   #54
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looking at one website at a single point in time? I think you may have missed a year or two of essential schooling.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 10:34 PM   #55
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Your statistics professor is instant messaging right now, asking for your degree back!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 10:37 PM   #56
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
This whole exercise was - of course - tongue in cheek to gauge reaction. So many posts here (including answers to this thread) seem to believe that all sports models are sold direct to Grey dealers when there is actually very little evidence to support this practice. As someone who watches Chrono 24 pretty regularly, there are many new Rolex watches that stay on for many, many months. When I purchased a watch from a well known Grey dealer in SE Asia earlier this year, I was informed that, although the watch photos were accurate, they didn't actually have the watch in their possession and it would take 3 days for the proof of postage to me to be issued. The truth is that a lot of watches are not really in the hands of Grey dealers at all, they remain in private ownership with individuals speculating that they will sell their watch to the grey for a profit, of which the grey takes a commission. The actual number of watches that sell via this route is, of course, never known. As much as everyone seems happy to throw daggers at my statistics, they also seem reluctant to accept that most watches go to loving owners who sit on the waiting list and are not douches and have a decent relationship with their AD. They may be VIPs with a lot of purchase history and many are not. The fact that Rolex in many countries has instructed ADs to limit watch sales to even VIPs to make the distribution to Mr Average who has waited for several years for their dream watch is incredibly reassuring. I will happily accept that the true figure is probably around 10-20% and will happily put down the gauntlet to others to provide their own statistics to DISPROVE it :-)
5/10 for your attempt at a save

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 10:58 PM   #57
novae500
"TRF" Member

No way. Hard to believe w so much inventory in grey market

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 11:16 PM   #58
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
And many of those ads are for watches that the seller does not even have. If they get a "sale", they then go acquire the watch from another dealer to complete the order. I bet the real number is well under 1%.
This is correct.

A few trusted sellers will only post watches that they posses, especially those that also own brick and mortar stores. Just an example is DavidSW. Some sites list hundreds of GMTs or Daytonas. He will at times have 1, or 2 and if you are in central FL you can walk in and see them.

Nothing stops a flipper enabler to simply post a photo of a watch at a crazy price. Someone inquires and then the poster goes out and tries to find the watch for less than the price listed. That’s probably a huge percent of the “market.”

Don’t be fooled.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 03:16 AM   #59
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
Did you know that 27.38% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
And statistics exist to solely to manipulate public opinion, and are rarely, if ever, accurate.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 03:37 PM   #60
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
What, and 900,000 Cellinis?

I’d guess datejust, mostly

I’m guessing Cellini is probably in the 20-50k range
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote