The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 December 2021, 09:38 AM   #31
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Rolex Addiction - Does anyone concur

OP, the word “addiction” is a loaded, stigmatized, stereotyped word, so it’s one many will instantly reject.

However, it’s clear from a significant number of threads here that many have become obsessive about obtaining “the grail”, however they define that. And, we see “how do I procure” threads, then “incoming” threads, and, very often “should I flip this for that threads”…so more than a few obsess and become preoccupied with obtaining a certain watch, even going the grey route and spending well over MSRP to get that one desirable watch…and then, when the satisfaction of that purchase fades, begin the cycle all over again, either flipping that watch or hunting for a new acquisition.

The willingness of so many to spend twice (or more) MSRP on the grey market (and to rationalize spending over $30K to get a Daytona constructed of stainless steel) reflects the human tendency to value what’s hard or impossible to obtain, whether rational or not.

I can attest that the more time you spend looking at watches on this forum or elsewhere, the more likely it is you will buy a watch, and then another.

However, the only experience that really matters, for the purpose of your concern, is your experience. And, you have described feelings of emptiness that are warning signs. Heed your intuition that “this isn’t right” for you. Others here have to make their own judgment about the point at which a hobby becomes dangerously all consuming.

The first thing I’d recommend is to limit, considerably, or even eliminate your social media/online activity regarding watches. You’ve used the word “addiction”, so treat it as such.

It never hurts to talk to a therapist, when feelings of obsession and/or emptiness start to intrude on your quality of life. Better to look into what that’s all about with a qualified professional than to ignore symptoms that can be better understood/treated with proper professional help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:45 AM   #32
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Better addiction than alcohol and or drugs
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:51 AM   #33
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by teager View Post
I've just loved watches ever since i was a little kid, flipping through the pages of my mums Grattan/Kays mail order catalogs.

I've fallen in love/become fixated over various brands, Seiko then Breitling, then Omega, then Panerai then IWC...

The fixation period always ends with a purchase!

Rolex is my current 'addiction' - this led to the 126660 D-blu a month or so ago, I haven't moved on yet though - I want another reference
snap although SD43
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:26 AM   #34
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
I get yelled at all the time
Same here haha.
Old 22 December 2021, 02:24 PM   #35
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Nope, no Rolex addiction here. An outside look in from someone who "isn't into watches" may say I have an addiction to watches in general, but definitely not Rolex. If I did at one time have an addiction, how the brand treats its customers would have certainly turned me off enough to no longer be addicted to them.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 11:39 PM   #36
jhondoe123
Banned

buyy
jhondoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote