The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 September 2021, 10:44 AM   #1
ducatiti
Banned

Falling out of love with my Large Santos

I need your help :) Although I really want to own this piece for the rest of my life, it does not sing to me anymore. I'm not gonna lie, I think I'm head over heels with the three new Metas Omega just purchased leaving my Cartier in my winder for weeks now. My DJ is sitting sad in the winder as well.

Spent much in accessories to include three OEM clasps + 2 suspect OEM clasps/straps from ebay in addition to three alligator straps, with light blue still in the factory bag.

Please convince me to keep this watch in my rotation hehe. One thing for sure, I won't spend this much for another Cartier considering I purchased it from the boutique. In other words, if I give this up I don't think will have another opportunity to own another one in the future. Don't really want to be an Omega fanboy now, but they are really hard to beat nowadays value-wise.

Here are the remaining watches in my small humble collection..

ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 10:54 AM   #2
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I like the Santos a lot. Tbh I’m not as big on the large version or the TT version. For these reasons, I won’t try to talk you into keeping it. Life is short, move it for something you like. Better to lose some amount on it than to lose the entire amount of it by having it sit idle.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 11:08 AM   #3
snowgoat
"TRF" Member

All your watches are characterful and desirable. The Santos looks great to me. Why don’t you stick it in a drawer and come back to it after a few months. If I had that collection I wouldn’t be expecting to wear any of them to the exclusion of the others for any great length of time. I covet the Santos for its striking presence.
snowgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 11:13 AM   #4
ducatiti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I like the Santos a lot. Tbh I’m not as big on the large version or the TT version. For these reasons, I won’t try to talk you into keeping it. Life is short, move it for something you like. Better to lose some amount on it than to lose the entire amount of it by having it sit idle.
Good tip. My wife has the medium stainless steel, so I can always borrow that. Thanks.
Old 5 September 2021, 11:14 AM   #5
ducatiti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgoat View Post
All your watches are characterful and desirable. The Santos looks great to me. Why don’t you stick it in a drawer and come back to it after a few months. If I had that collection I wouldn’t be expecting to wear any of them to the exclusion of the others for any great length of time. I covet the Santos for its striking presence.

Good advice as I may come back to it after a few if I can appreciate it once again.
Old 5 September 2021, 11:18 AM   #6
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
In my opinion, it is the nicest watch that you have, and unique to the others. I have the large stainless, along with 5 Rolex and a couple of Breitling. I enjoy all my watches, but when I look at my collection, the Santos stands out as something very different and classy IMHO.

As stated above, hold on to it for a while, unless you need the cash immediately. You might fall in love with it again. You have a very nice collection
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:16 PM   #7
ducatiti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
In my opinion, it is the nicest watch that you have, and unique to the others. I have the large stainless, along with 5 Rolex and a couple of Breitling. I enjoy all my watches, but when I look at my collection, the Santos stands out as something very different and classy IMHO.

As stated above, hold on to it for a while, unless you need the cash immediately. You might fall in love with it again. You have a very nice collection
Thanks for your opinion. May just hold on to it for a bit. Here are some pics on the other straps..

Old 5 September 2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I love keep it. Taste change and evolve and you but it for a reason. In a few months you’ll gravitate back to it.
Old 6 September 2021, 03:36 AM   #9
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Gonna be tough to sell that one & get a reasonable return. I was a long time Santos owner & think it looks amazing, but in the end I found it too dressy & it ended up in the safe, then for sale on the watch forums.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 04:48 AM   #10
Becweb
Banned

Iconic design - i would keep it
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 04:53 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think outside of Rolex these are the best TTs around, and as you have the straps too I would def keep it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 05:06 AM   #12
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Not a Cartier fan , but I love your AT .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 05:14 AM   #13
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Think you should sell and get something better personally... :O one of their better watches IMO but overall I'm meh towards it.

Separately - love your collection!

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 08:43 AM   #14
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Honestly I couldn’t care less about the three Omega..

The Cartier is very versatile with all the leather straps you’ve got. Combined with the Datejust it’s a great two-watch collection.

The problem with this particular Cartier of yours is that ImHO it’s just too big. I don’t think it was meant to be that big originally. There’s a lot of dial there, and the square shape doesn’t help. But since you already own it I would keep it if I were you. Way more original than the three (!) Omega..

Old 6 September 2021, 01:18 PM   #15
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
a bit too big... clashes with any dressy appeal it would otherwise have.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 08:23 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

How much can you get for that Cartier if you do sell it? Save it and trade it, along with some other watches, for the next watch you decide you have to have.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 08:32 PM   #17
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

They made drawers for a reason. Just put it away for a while.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 09:01 PM   #18
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As advised, just set it aside for a bit and come back when the honeymoon is iver with the Omega's. Your DJ is nice also.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 11:34 PM   #19
Madmoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Duoface, Speed
I am in a similar boat - with AT and Metas moonwatch it is hard for anything else to get wrist time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 12:21 AM   #20
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I think it's a gorgeous watch, though I would go for the medium with my wrist size (and I have tried the stainless steel one on). I quite like the two tone, in fact maybe even more. But I feel your sentiment wit METAS Omegas too. I got the Speedmaster when it first came out this year and it's stolen most of my wrist time. Remarkable accuracy as well.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 02:24 AM   #21
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

To me it’s so versatile in 2 tone with all the strap configuration. If the size is bothering you, maybe size down to the medium? As you said, value wise it’s hard to beat in terms of quality, reputation, and 2 tone. Maybe give the watch a break for a bit and come back to it later. You bought it for a reason.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 11:01 AM   #22
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I had the Santos Large from the day it went on sale and ultimately sold it. I did not appreciate how large it wore. I have three Rolexes of approx 40mm in diameter. This yields a surface area of approx 1,260 sq mm. The Santos large at 39.8mm wide yields approx 1,580 sq mm. The Santos medium is 35.1mm wide and yields approximately 1,230 sq mm. I need to pick up my daughter’s Francaise from service at Cartier shortly and will rethink the Santos medium.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 05:45 AM   #23
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

For sure, individual taste should be #1 criteria. Since you asked, I would absolutely keep that. To me it is an absolute classic watch, it represents the first purpose built men’s wrist watch, it appears to fit you spot on. Like others have said, shelf it for a while.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 06:07 AM   #24
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Striking with the blue strap. I think it is a keeper.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 06:43 AM   #25
6XYBE63ST
Banned

i would dump the Omega's. keep the Cartier and the Rolex and buy something different...
6XYBE63ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 08:44 AM   #26
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I really like your collection and all of the pieces in it. So can’t go wrong by putting things in the drawer for a bit. That said, if it were up to me, I’d trade in the Cartier and the Omegas and try to get an entry level Vacheron Traditionnelle or Lange Saxonia. This is essentially what I did last summer with multiple watches, including a Santos, and I haven’t regretted it.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 05:37 PM   #27
taura
"TRF" Member

That's an awesome sporty collection without much overlap between the watches. The Santos definitely holds its own here. Consider adding a leather strap later if you want to make it stand out more (ducatiti's photos are gorgeous). Just wear the Omega's for now if you're in a honeymoon phase, and remember that you're allowed to keep multiple mistresses in this hobby. You'll probably ditch one of the Seamasters later, but don't worry about it for now. None of the watches are going to lose much value.
taura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 12:50 AM   #28
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I'm a Cartier fan, have a Blue SS Large and considering a Santos Dumont/Solarbeat Tank recently but I've got to say, I'm not a big fan of the 2-tone Santos. It just looks a bit 80s to me and I think a full gold piece would work a lot better - loads of people might say it's pretty rich of me to say that but if you actually look at the prices of the Cartier full gold pieces they are some of the most affordable on the market in this category.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote