The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 April 2022, 08:30 AM   #1
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Bulgari Octo Cost Cutting / Movement Revision?

Any word on when this movement revision / drop in the jewel count etc occurred?

Seems awfully Panerai-esque.

Old 12 April 2022, 08:35 AM   #2
LVx2
Banned

Oh my...That does look like a downgrade. I would like more and better pictures.

Very interesting development...
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 08:59 AM   #3
jonnythrust
"TRF" Member

Isn't the jewel count the same on both? 36 on the old and what looks like 36 on the new?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
jonnythrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 09:34 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hmmmm... Interesting.

'Better' pic of older movement like in mine.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 09:42 AM   #5
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Hmmmm... Interesting.

'Better' pic of older movement like in mine.

This is big news, yours is way nicer!

Bridges aren’t separated in places on the new one.

That and seemingly lower finishing would bug me, knowing a nicer one was initially offered.
Old 12 April 2022, 10:00 AM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I'm interested to see the 20 comments although it's quite clear from the pictures the differences between the 2 watches.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 10:08 AM   #7
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythrust View Post
Isn't the jewel count the same on both? 36 on the old and what looks like 36 on the new?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I can make out 31 Jewels written on the new one.

Bulgari website is showing the calibre 138 36 Jewel movement for titanium and ceramic models.

Is this a legit thing? Can't access the original page and the instagram shows nothing about it.
Old 12 April 2022, 10:25 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
To me it lowers the desirability of both new and old. I was just about to grab another chrono GMT. Hmm.
Old 12 April 2022, 10:29 AM   #9
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Very disappointing if that is true. The quality of the finishing on mine is superb and it would be a shame for the brand to lower their standard.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 10:44 AM   #10
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
Very disappointing if that is true. The quality of the finishing on mine is superb and it would be a shame for the brand to lower their standard.
I found the video from which the screen shot is taken.

It's Tim Mosso reviewing the steel blue dial version, so this is completely true. Watchbox Reviews Youtube March 20 2022.

I'm amazed they just kept the same calibre 138 number, considering all the changes.
Old 12 April 2022, 10:47 AM   #11
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Wow very interesting. I agree with you, I would have expected a new calibre number or at least some more transparency from them that they made some significant changes. I have the steel blue version on wrist right now and I'm bummed that others won't get the same quality in the future.
Old 12 April 2022, 10:58 AM   #12
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
Wow very interesting. I agree with you, I would have expected a new calibre number or at least some more transparency from them that they made some significant changes. I have the steel blue version on wrist right now and I'm bummed that others won't get the same quality in the future.
Yes, completely agree.

On bulgari.com right now your watch is pictured as having the old version. Seems like misrepresentation, so a long way from transparent. Really shocking.
Old 12 April 2022, 11:11 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Are we sure the 'new one' is real and not fugazi? Am seeing some things that make me lean that way.

Ok, back at the desktop / Photoshop. Just too much looks 'wrong' with the 'new' pic.

Top center, no way they'd choose that horrid visual design. Looks too sloppy to me.

No gold-filled lettering? C'mon, i vote fugazi.

Balance is not gold colored?

Obvious change to the wheel by the Pt weight.

Untitled-1.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12 April 2022, 11:37 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Are we sure the 'new one' is real and not fugazi? Am seeing some things that make me lean that way.

Ok, back at the desktop / Photoshop. Just too much looks 'wrong' with the 'new' pic.

Top center, no way they'd choose that horrid visual design. Looks too sloppy to me.

No gold-filled lettering? C'mon, i vote fugazi.

Balance is not gold colored?

Obvious change to the wheel by the Pt weight.

Attachment 1285352

It’s definitely real. I don’t think they are faking movements that thin are they? Plus I’d give Mosso the benefit of the doubt lol

https://youtu.be/ehzUheWaeDE
Old 12 April 2022, 11:44 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i stand VERY MUCH corrected. Thx for link to video

YIPES the new design is a hot mess. i'll keep my 'old' one ThankYouVeryMuch.

Old 12 April 2022, 11:51 AM   #16
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
I think that says everything you need to hear about the new movement and finishing right there.
Old 12 April 2022, 12:23 PM   #17
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

I don’t know why the lesser finishing but maybe the new movement is to quietly deal with all the power reserve/winding issues you hear about?
DoraTheExplorerII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 12:24 PM   #18
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
I don’t know why the lesser finishing but maybe the new movement is to quietly deal with all the power reserve/winding issues you hear about?
I bet it is. Anecdotally, I’ve never had any issues with mine. In fact, I find my VC Overseas dies much faster after a day of wear than my Octo does.
Old 12 April 2022, 12:27 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ditto as never had an issue with mine and she's been swimming at the beach / pool, on/off road bicycling, etc. Frankly, am surprised how very durable the Octo FS is considering how darn thin she is.

ADDED: Tim did a great job, and am aware of how various lighting... yet the new dial seems to have less sunburst effect / less pop. Still, that could be a video thing versus real life.

Would love to hold both to directly compare. Tim's looks real enough as watched the video, paused a few times to compare with the mine, and the case and other parts are far too good to be fugazi (but you never know, some brands like Panerai are easy to fake, and dare we admit PP fakes have gotten quite impressive too).

Old 12 April 2022, 12:27 PM   #20
JMac6
"TRF" Member

I hope some outlet covers this. I would kind of like some answers.

It would be one thing if Bulgari released a new movement, issued a press release, said it would be incorporating those changes into existing lines, etc.

But to stealth include a new movement with crappier finishing and crappier architecture is just flat out strange.

I had issues with my OF but the issues were fixed after a trip to the spa.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 01:38 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Pointed out elsewhere on another board, the new movement (if indeed true) does echo the perpetual calendar.

https://revolutionwatch.com/bold-bea...tual-calendar/

Old 12 April 2022, 02:39 PM   #22
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
I hope some outlet covers this. I would kind of like some answers.

It would be one thing if Bulgari released a new movement, issued a press release, said it would be incorporating those changes into existing lines, etc.

But to stealth include a new movement with crappier finishing and crappier architecture is just flat out strange.

I had issues with my OF but the issues were fixed after a trip to the spa.

No outlet will, they’ll never bite the hand that feeds them. Watch “journalism” is a total sham these days.

I’ve been toying with buying an Octo but there’s no way after this - this is too cute and a visual downgrade
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 03:14 PM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
No outlet will, they’ll never bite the hand that feeds them. Watch “journalism” is a total sham these days.
Did you see all the reporting on Panerai's change to the 9010 movement (ssshhh, it's a secret 'Evolution')? No disclosure by Panerai, yet was obvious due to the removal of hacking seconds. It is said decoration is lowered as well. Panerai now seems to be on a roll of less movement at a higher retail price. Anywho, i alerted a few magazines and timepiece press friends about the 9010 'Evolution'.

Wait? What? You didn't see the MANY press reviewer articles about the secret change to the movement and decoration quality without any changing of the movement # ???

Hmm, you saw none? Come to think of it neither did i.

Quote:
I’ve been toying with buying an Octo but there’s no way after this - this is too cute and a visual downgrade
Get an 'older' one ASAP. It really is an incredible timepiece imho. BTW, the recently-announced very special Bvlgari 10th Anniversary Octo... uses the 'old' movement.

Old 12 April 2022, 03:51 PM   #24
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

My first thoughts were it was a replica, but as I continue to read on I learn it unfortunately is not the case. Tightening the purse strings?
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 04:08 PM   #25
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you see all the reporting on Panerai's change to the 9010 movement (ssshhh, it's a secret 'Evolution')?....
Screenshot from BVL website:
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 05:21 PM   #26
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

My guess is that it’s to fix the rotor issues. Mine wouldn’t wind at all.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 11:37 PM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ok, on WPS it's being said 'spacer jewels' were eliminated, as these helped keep spacing between bits. Due to known winding issues, and some say they had 'jumping seconds' or some such, so yes it look like an update was quietly made. Just needs a new movement number by Bvlgari so we know which is which.

i prefer the older version as it exudes the visuals of a finer-crafted quality timepiece.

Old 13 April 2022, 12:05 AM   #28
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Yeah I personally have no problem at all with the updated movement. I don’t think it looks as nice, but that is subjective and if it functions better then that has to count for something. It’s the fact that they seem to have made the update rather stealthily that is the more concerning part. Agree with Steven, movement should have a new number to distinguish it.
Old 13 April 2022, 12:36 AM   #29
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Function over aesthetics, for sure, but yeah... definitely not as pretty.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote