The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 May 2022, 12:07 AM   #31
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

You do realize it’s a watch, right? If it’s not going to take pictures that nobody wants to see, put posts on Facebook that nobody wants to read, and buy useless gifts for family and friends that nobody wants, then you may want to stop referring to it as your vacation companion. It’s just a watch ( a nice one at that). If it brings you joy to wear it, then wear it. If you’re going to obsess over it then leave it at home all warm and tucked away safely out of a burger’s mindful eye.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 12:21 AM   #32
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
You do realize it’s a watch, right? If it’s not going to take pictures that nobody wants to see, put posts on Facebook that nobody wants to read, and buy useless gifts for family and friends that nobody wants, then you may want to stop referring to it as your vacation companion. It’s just a watch ( a nice one at that). If it brings you joy to wear it, then wear it. If you’re going to obsess over it then leave it at home all warm and tucked away safely out of a burger’s mindful eye.
Have to agree sometimes I wonder why some buy Rolex watches if its going to cause worry over when and where you are going to wear it, perhaps only to wear the brand name instead of the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 12:28 AM   #33
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I always take 2-3 watches when I travel. As others have said, I bought them to wear. For airport, right before going through the line (I’m TSA pre check approved), I stick the Rolex I’m wearing in a watch pod or similar and put it in my carry on. I bought a Casioak that I use to get through security and to wear if I’m somewhere that I feel uncomfortable with a Rolex on.
Right after security, I swap back to my Rolex.
I do this only to avoid slowing down the line if they ask me to remove and I would rather the watch be in my carry on if I have to remove…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 01:10 AM   #34
ertihan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Are you TSA pre-check?
No, unfortunately it's been a hot minute since I've flown anywhere. I haven't stepped on an airplane since before I entered graduate school, back when you could still buy a Rolex by walking into an AD (aaaah the good old days...). As it's been a while since I've flown anywhere at all. They didn't ask me to take off my watch before but then again, 5 years is a long time. Things change, especially after COVID.

Quote:
Are you staying in a hotel with a room safe?
Yes, but I've been told that hotel safes are not very safe. That's why I was debating whether I should bring a secondary watch at all or just wear the one Rolex all the time.

Quote:
Why would you travel somewhere that is not safe?
I mean, I wouldn't - not by choice anyway. But like I said I haven't traveled since before graduate school so things might have changed. A lot can happen in 5 years - hell just look at COVID and the George Floyd riots and all that...

I'm probably overthinking things too much, it's just a combination of the fact that I've never traveled with any item of any kind that is this expensive before (when I flew 5 years ago the most expensive thing I brought with me was my laptop - which is 5 times less expensive than the Rolex) along with the fact that I haven't traveled period for half a decade since I was so focused on school. I didn't know what the TSA situation had become in my absence and whether they've gotten more strict about the watch policy. Also didn't know if hotel safes were safe enough for something as valuable as a Rolex (apparently they are not).

All the responses so far are leading me to believe I should just wear the damn thing but not leave it in the hotel room unattended.
ertihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 01:30 AM   #35
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1. TSA will make you take off your watch if you set off any alarms. It may not be the watch but something else; they have to start somewhere. If you take everything else out of your pockets and don't have metal zippers they your Rolex will unlikely trip any detectors.

2. Wear your Rolex as you like. You will not be the only one there with a Rolex on, by far. Especially if you are staying at any of the area resorts. Don't use the safe, it is more secure on your wrist.

3. Hawaii is as safe as any other state. If you pass out in a seedy back-alley you might have issues, so don't do that.
Old 8 May 2022, 02:38 AM   #36
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
You never mentioned where you are staying but there are AD's in Wailea and Lahaina. The Owner at the Lahaina shop is a really nice guy and loves to chat watches. They have pre-owned as well. Watch spotting at Wailea and Ritz Carlton in Kapalua is off the charts.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 05:24 AM   #37
Harvie
Banned

Watch: Yes
Ask your mom to go with you, she could hold your hand and keep everything safe.
Harvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 05:43 AM   #38
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Lol at all these fragile egos that have to flex that they are above asking for the opinions and thoughts of others..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 05:49 AM   #39
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

A TSA Agent once commented "Nice watch" when I was getting patted down wearing a Rolex Oysterquartz 17000.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 11:02 AM   #40
nat
"TRF" Member

The safest place for your watch is on your wrist. And, it will not trip the TSA scanner.
nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 12:04 PM   #41
lear60man
"TRF" Member

I take one and only one watch when I travel. Leaving an expensive watch in a hotel room is an invitation for aggravation. The only thing I do differently is rinse it off in fresh water after going in salt water while twisting the bezel.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 07:00 PM   #42
Blueteg
"TRF" Member

Lots of suggestions in this thread to use the safe in your hotel room.

I would absolutely avoid using those at all costs. Most of the hotel safes that I see in hotel rooms are digital. And many of the digital safes have an override/owner password. So if there is a dishonest hotel employee that has access to room cards/keys to break in into rooms, it's not far fetched to think that they can get access to the master code for the room safe.
116234 Bullseye
214270 Explorer
Blueteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2022, 09:40 PM   #43
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I wear it through TSA pre check with no issues. While on vacation, it’s under my shirt or jacket sleeve as we tend to only vacation around the world during colder off season…after witnessing some of the watch crime we’ve seen news coverage on, wearing my Rolexes for travel is on my mind slightly more than years past.
Old 8 May 2022, 10:21 PM   #44
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree sometimes I wonder why some buy Rolex watches if its going to cause worry over when and where you are going to wear it, perhaps only to wear the brand name instead of the watch.
The brand has turned into overpriced Jewelry so I kind of understand where the OP is coming from. Even a basic Sub if lost or stolen can’t be replaced easily due to the ridiculous waiting time now. Things have changed.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 01:16 AM   #45
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Keep it on your wrist. In Hawaii you don’t have to worry about flaunting it and being robbed . People wear watches there that cost more than houses routinely.

I put my watch in my carryon for TSA (pre-check and Clear keep you near or at the front of the line). I’ve never had a problem even with PM pieces.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 01:33 AM   #46
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I always have my watch stowed in my carry on before entering TSA checkpoints.
Same here. For the rest of the time I don't take it off.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 01:43 AM   #47
lear60man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueteg View Post
Lots of suggestions in this thread to use the safe in your hotel room.

I would absolutely avoid using those at all costs. Most of the hotel safes that I see in hotel rooms are digital. And many of the digital safes have an override/owner password. So if there is a dishonest hotel employee that has access to room cards/keys to break in into rooms, it's not far fetched to think that they can get access to the master code for the room safe.
IIRC, The Lockpicking Lawyer, among others, have plenty of videos on hotel room safes. Super easy to open for a common person. But yea, nothing to stop the maintenance guy from giving the super code/master key to the maid.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 02:38 AM   #48
DJ OG
"TRF" Member

Travel quite a bit, million miler x2 on one airline FF on a few others. NEVER take my watch off going through security. Let them break out their wand, the dogs have a sniff, pat you down or do whatever they need to do. I would not put it in one of those open trays or bowls where it's visible, only in the carry on if necessary. If they have to get it out so be it. Son and I traveled back from Vegas this week and I had my watch on and he had his air king on, neither of us took our watches off, passed through the screener. I did however have a new rolex in my bag that I bought for a friend's wife. My son went three people in front of me so he could watch my bag come through. Regardless of what the internet experts say do what makes you feel secure about it. Insurance or not it would really suck to lose anything that had sentimental value and/or you worked to acquire.
DJ OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 06:10 AM   #49
htrap2294
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613LB
I'm about your age, OP. It's really not complicated. Wear the watch and have some common sense, that's all you need. If asked to take your watch off, don't take it off. As long as you're not a jerk, they will accommodate and figure out another way.
Old 9 May 2022, 06:38 AM   #50
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have the TSA Pre Check (and Clear) and haven’t had to take off my watch for security. I’ve flown more than 50 flights since the pandemic and it’s never been an issue.

I went to Hawaii last year with my Rolex (and have been several times over the years). I know many people here aren’t big fans of hotel room safes, but I’ve never felt shy about putting my Rolex in the safe in Hawaii if I’m going swimming etc. I figure there are people with far more expensive things in their safes than in mine. Plus, it’s insured, and it’s not an expensive piece (SS Datejust, not PM). I feel far more cautious wearing my watch around LA than I do putting it in the safe of a nice hotel in Hawaii.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 06:52 AM   #51
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

I'm lost for words with this type of bs, just wear the watch and enjoy it. Sounds to me like you have too much watch, maybe get a timex.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote