The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 18 July 2022, 11:14 PM   #361
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Exactly, and support your local AD.
Trying to but I am still waiting to find out if I passed my interview.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 18 July 2022, 11:56 PM   #362
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Once we get back to historic norms in pricing, this will (largely) eliminate flipping and we'll get back to normal times. Patience will be rewarded.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 19 July 2022, 03:23 AM   #363
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I think you will be very happy in a couple of months. Hope you get exactly what you want.
Old 19 July 2022, 03:28 AM   #364
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I agree with a lot of what has been said here. A few observations:

Massive amount of AP RO just listed in the last 24 hrs 15510 around 63k with grey dial, 15500 41mm multiple in low-mid 40s full sets

Subs galore with and without a date window. 41mm at around 12.9k with date full set.

There are many more watches coming on market and with these prices I’m wondering just what the heck kind of kool aid I was drinking 6 months or a year ago?

I dumped my nautilus for a partial trade for something I really wanted back in February. So glad I did

Final thought. Those watches that imho haven’t had as much following even though I love some of them, are going to get crushed. Watches like exp 1&2, ak, dd, dj, ym were bolstered by the madness. People who were eager to get a Rolex, in many cases were settling for something they could get as opposed to what they really wanted. I did it, bought a blue stick dial 41 jubilee but would’ve given that a hard pass if offered Gmt or Daytona. As SS subs come down to msrp, I think the other less popular watches will fall even lower.
Old 19 July 2022, 03:37 AM   #365
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Once we get back to historic norms in pricing, this will (largely) eliminate flipping and we'll get back to normal times. Patience will be rewarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
I think you will be very happy in a couple of months. Hope you get exactly what you want.
Thanks I expect to never get a call

Apparently buying 3 Rolex and 1 Tudor (except Tudor does not count ) is not enough

I am going to make more changes to my collection anyway and will be long done before they ever think of me
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 19 July 2022, 03:40 AM   #366
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
I’m wondering just what the heck kind of kool aid I was drinking 6 months or a year ago?
All good, and if I may be allowed to guess, would say it might have been 'herd mentality? Over the decades have never, ever seen such craziness. My hopes are that horology has expanded in overall interest, thus more people desire a fine timepiece to wear and enjoy. So there are benefits, fortunately.

Frankly, high-end audio could use such a 'bubble of popularity'. Soooo many music lovers listening via meh-quality gear.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 19 July 2022, 03:40 AM   #367
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
Chrono24 just sent me an email saying some Patek 3800s I was watching dropped several thousand dollars.
and I just got an email saying my portfolio has gone up 9% in the last week..

How they determine this, I have no idea..
Old 19 July 2022, 03:55 AM   #368
NeoDough
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Lord knows how far Richard milles have to fall.
Based purely on my anecdotal observations, Milles don't seem to be selling at all. Has anyone seen one actually sell recently? I think I've maybe seen one in the past two months, and it was (relatively speaking) quite a low price.
Old 19 July 2022, 04:17 AM   #369
SubMillennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date
What was the expected discount pre-hype for a yellow gold day date? On the shelf vs custom order?
Old 19 July 2022, 04:22 AM   #370
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMillennial View Post
What was the expected discount pre-hype for a yellow gold day date? On the shelf vs custom order?
in 2018, I got 15% off a 116618LB Bluesy Gold Sub... I'm sure the Day Date would have been higher... I don't think we're going to see 15% off at an AD ever again however..
Old 19 July 2022, 04:26 AM   #371
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the case so it’s sitting right there? 20% EASY, 25% doable.
Old 19 July 2022, 04:27 AM   #372
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
in 2018, I got 15% off a 116618LB Bluesy Gold Sub... I'm sure the Day Date would have been higher... I don't think we're going to see 15% off at an AD ever again however..
Yeah I agree with this. Value plummets or not, Rolex I think has REALLY tightened down on this. ADs don’t want to lose their status and they’re not going to discount with Rolex telling them not to.
Old 19 July 2022, 06:05 AM   #373
SubMillennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Yeah I agree with this. Value plummets or not, Rolex I think has REALLY tightened down on this. ADs don’t want to lose their status and they’re not going to discount with Rolex telling them not to.
is it documented they wouldn't permit discounting? I thought the only rule was not selling above MSRP.

going to be a lot of watches collecting dust if greys are offering 20 to 30% discounts while ADs can't
Old 19 July 2022, 06:13 AM   #374
Meltingicecube
Banned

It's simple! If the secondary market is trading above MSRP, ADs would not discount but if grey market crashes and stays there for an extended period of time, ADs have no choice but to discount!
Old 19 July 2022, 06:15 AM   #375
Meltingicecube
Banned

It's easy to tell your ADs not to discount when most of your watches are trading at twice MSRP! Tell them the same thing when watches are trading at 70% of MSRP and all of a sudden Rolex becomes a liability for ADs!
Old 19 July 2022, 07:20 AM   #376
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoDough View Post
Based purely on my anecdotal observations, Milles don't seem to be selling at all. Has anyone seen one actually sell recently? I think I've maybe seen one in the past two months, and it was (relatively speaking) quite a low price.
Value wise they are turning into panerai……now we all know they are a special and rare watch but I think they had there day……
Old 19 July 2022, 07:31 AM   #377
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltingicecube View Post
It's easy to tell your ADs not to discount when most of your watches are trading at twice MSRP! Tell them the same thing when watches are trading at 70% of MSRP and all of a sudden Rolex becomes a liability for ADs!
ADs may not discount directly but greys will. The AD-Grey 'relationship' will always exist.
Old 19 July 2022, 08:43 AM   #378
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWarriors View Post

I very much expect a return to MSRP - or less - for lots of watches!
You’re dreaming. I think this forum is the place we go to dream and imagine a time when Rolexes will be found at MSRP again (or less!). The demand is still way too high. The demand for Rolex watches is still enormous. I’m not a dealer and I have nothing to sell, but the flippers were not the only reason there is huge interest in horology. The cases are still very much empty. At least in 2018 you could find two-tone Datejusts on display for sale.
Old 19 July 2022, 11:05 AM   #379
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The 18000 series day dates are coming down in price fast. These skyrocketed in the last year.
The barked wood dial now has a price drop on Moda.
Old 19 July 2022, 11:59 AM   #380
Shola
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
A lot. 20% in the Bahamas and Las Vegas.
Old 19 July 2022, 12:01 PM   #381
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

DD40 olive now in the upper $50s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 July 2022, 12:43 PM   #382
GoWarriors
"TRF" Member

These Moda updates are great guys, thank you so much for posting them :)
Old 19 July 2022, 02:32 PM   #383
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
You’re dreaming. I think this forum is the place we go to dream and imagine a time when Rolexes will be found at MSRP again (or less!). The demand is still way too high. The demand for Rolex watches is still enormous. I’m not a dealer and I have nothing to sell, but the flippers were not the only reason there is huge interest in horology. The cases are still very much empty. At least in 2018 you could find two-tone Datejusts on display for sale.
I think you need to be more specific. Demand for NEW watches from the AD at MSRP exceeds supply. Pre-owned watches over MSRP are plentiful so demand is not that high that you cant get any Rolex you want immediately if you are willing to pay the market price. We're seeing the demand over msrp evaporate, it's only a matter of time for that to hit the new @ MSRP demand too.

Now, this might hurt, but what if I told you demand for Rolex isn't that high? What if no one actually cares about Rolex? Here's a Google trends chart of Nike vs Rolex vs Porsche. Most of society doesn't even give half a thought to Rolex. Further, Porsche is more than twice as popular as Rolex yet they they product less than a third of the number of units per year.

I think its safe to say theres been a bubble in Rolex, and a relatively tiny one in society. Once the flippers and influencers move on to the next hype thing like the locusts they are and the free money goes away, Rolex could very quickly find themselves over supplied and plentiful again like they were for most of their history. Often when bubble pop, the market tends to overcorrect....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220719-001930_Photos.jpg (86.4 KB, 445 views)
Old 19 July 2022, 02:59 PM   #384
DJ4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
I think you need to be more specific. Demand for NEW watches from the AD at MSRP exceeds supply. Pre-owned watches over MSRP are plentiful so demand is not that high that you cant get any Rolex you want immediately if you are willing to pay the market price. We're seeing the demand over msrp evaporate, it's only a matter of time for that to hit the new @ MSRP demand too.

Now, this might hurt, but what if I told you demand for Rolex isn't that high? What if no one actually cares about Rolex? Here's a Google trends chart of Nike vs Rolex vs Porsche. Most of society doesn't even give half a thought to Rolex. Further, Porsche is more than twice as popular as Rolex yet they they product less than a third of the number of units per year.

I think its safe to say theres been a bubble in Rolex, and a relatively tiny one in society. Once the flippers and influencers move on to the next hype thing like the locusts they are and the free money goes away, Rolex could very quickly find themselves over supplied and plentiful again like they were for most of their history. Often when bubble pop, the market tends to overcorrect....

Totally agree
Old 19 July 2022, 08:48 PM   #385
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Believe it when I see it.
Old 19 July 2022, 09:02 PM   #386
Fifteen
Banned

I expect all of us (actual watch enthusiasts) to be able to pick up ANY model at the AD with little to no wait by early next year (perhaps with the exception of Daytona).
Old 19 July 2022, 09:03 PM   #387
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifteen View Post
i expect all of us (actual watch enthusiasts) to be able to pick up any model at the ad with little to no wait by early next year (perhaps with the exception of daytona).
qft
Old 19 July 2022, 09:11 PM   #388
gyang333
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
I expect all of us (actual watch enthusiasts) to be able to pick up ANY model at the AD with little to no wait by early next year (perhaps with the exception of Daytona).
Man, hope this is true lol.
Old 19 July 2022, 10:00 PM   #389
Patekaholik
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
Most of the newer members, complaining about the crazy prices of the past two years and whining about how they can’t afford to buy Rolex are now not interested as prices are dropping. Truly, they had no interest in these watches other than for the potential profit they they missed out on by flipping. They’re not interested in buying a Daytona $50,000 nor at $25,000.
This is nothing but the truth.
Old 19 July 2022, 10:04 PM   #390
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post

Would be nice, but probably wishful thinking…
Closed Thread