The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 March 2023, 04:06 AM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've eaten Paleo/Primal for the last 15 or so years not really for weight loss but basically to continue to play hockey at a decent level as I was passing through my 50s. Previously I had been doing the carb thing for energy and found that it wasn't working that well any more.

Paleo/Primal is basically real food, with less carbs and more good fats and protein. Basically a decent level headed way of eating without all the processed foods, although some people take it to the point of a religion.

At around 63 the wheels were beginning to fall off the hockey thing so I tried keto. From Paleo/Primal all I really had to do is cut back further on the carbs since I was already eating well. I did that for about 9 months basically as a test. I used a blood meter to maintain that I was in keto and was around 35-50 grams of carbs a day.

What I found the first time out on the ice while in keto I basically "hit the wall" during the warmups. Totally screwed. So I read the book Primal for Athletes or Keto for athletes, something like that and I found if I carbed up about 1-2 hours before I played hockey, not only did they not knock me out of keto, but they also fixed the "hitting the wall" issues. I migrated over to a product called UCAN Superstarch, which is a drink that I used 4 times a week just before games and did that for the 9 months that I stayed in keto.

But the purpose of keto for athletes and ordinary people that don't have diabetic issues and or epilepsy issues is really to get your body "fat adapted" so that you can migrate back and forth from burning carbs to burning body fats, for energy. And since our entire diets in the last 40 years has changed from real foods to processed crap that is mostly carbs and sugar most people now are only carb burners. That's mostly what they eat, which immediately turns in glucose in the body, which causes insulin spikes, which again makes people hungry again in 2 hours, and they wolf down more carbs etc etc etc.

So to some thinking keto is just a fad, don't really understand it, and why getting off the carb rollercoaster is so important for curtailing Type 2 Diabetes, obesity.

So my advice is simply reduce processed foods eat far less carbs, and if you try keto you don't need to do it for long, but just condition your body to be flexible in how it gets it's energy and can burn body fat.

There are lots of overlapping books like Mark Sisson, Keto Reset Diet, Mark Hymen's Pegan Diet (which is just a funny name he made up which combines Vegan with Paleo) and lots of others about cutting down eating windows like intermittent fasting and fasting in general.

But the consensus on all of the information now is CUT THE BAD CARBS, eat real food and do some exercise.

Sorry for the long winded response.

I am so impressed with you. at just shy of 50 my wheels are shaky. to play hockey at 63 is hugely impressive to me. I could not imagine. I will be happy to just continue going to the gym and doing my long walks.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 04:16 AM   #32
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
very few indeed. everyone wants to point to something else. it satisfies the ego. and the ego is a very powerful thing. "here's the reason why I failed"...but failure is failure. the reason why is irrelevant.

I have a little analogy I use at work and when I am coaching people.

you live in a home. it is nice home, and you have nice neighbors. all is swell. your neighbors kid does what kids do. one day, he is playing with fire works. he lights one off, and it goes onto your roof. your roof alights on fire. you no longer have a roof.

you did nothing wrong. not a thing.

but when it rains you are still getting wet.

reasons are worthless when you are sitting in the rain.
Love it! I'll have to remember that one.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 04:19 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am so impressed with you. at just shy of 50 my wheels are shaky. to play hockey at 63 is hugely impressive to me. I could not imagine. I will be happy to just continue going to the gym and doing my long walks.
Don't be impressed. I had to stop at 68. I may get new knees and start again. Haven't decided yet.

I was at a party on Sunday and all these old puckers were there comparing their new hips, new knees, and new shoulders. We are all insane.

But you get hooked on the adrenaline etc.
Old 8 March 2023, 04:48 AM   #34
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
I will tell you what I tell myself. Excuses are worthless. You either hit your goals, or you to do not. No one to blame but you. And I don't care how bad the problem/excuse is. It is still just an excuse. We tell them to ourselves to make us feel better.

FWIW, I have a ton of them. Just yesterday, I tweaked my back while working out. I have had major back injuries the last decade. It felt as if I did something really bad. Limped around all day. In a lot of pain. Still got my steps in last night. And I was still at the gym this morning. I simply did elliptical instead of resistance training. And then I did a lot of core work. I am still in a lot of pain.

But if I gain weight, my excuses mean nothing. If I do not hit my goals, excuses mean nothing. I either hit my goals, or I don't. I have zero patience my own excuses or anyone else's. If the goals are not important enough, then you don't hit them. If they are, you do. Simple as that. Not my rules. Life's rules.

In regard to Keto, it is a fad. It can certainly work. But the truth is that anything works, if you do it consistently for long enough.

Decide what you want. Make a plan to get there. Stick to it over time. And you will hit your goals. If you don't, you won't.

I do also echo what others said about low T. I am all for adding whatever necessary to hit your goals.
Buddy, please get off the elliptical for cardio. That is horrible for your back. I too suffer from some major flare ups with my lower back. I was told lay off the elliptical. When your in pain, stick to a bike or a long walk on the treadmill.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 05:34 AM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Buddy, please get off the elliptical for cardio. That is horrible for your back. I too suffer from some major flare ups with my lower back. I was told lay off the elliptical. When your in pain, stick to a bike or a long walk on the treadmill.
it is amazing how information is conflicting everywhere. I have seen tons or articles about elliptical being low impact.

that said, my surgery was many moons ago. and I have a very intimate relationship with my old elliptical. I have spent many many hours on it as I was under the impression it was good. before I got back into weights, me and that little girl spent a lot of time together.

I hope I am not wrong. but so far, it has done me well. I will definitely pay even closer attention though.

thanks brother.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 05:35 AM   #36
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An elliptical can offer more back support than a treadmill in many cases, especially depending on your incline %.
Old 8 March 2023, 05:35 AM   #37
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it is amazing how information is conflicting everywhere. I have seen tons or articles about elliptical being low impact.

that said, my surgery was many moons ago. and I have a very intimate relationship with my old elliptical. I have spent many many hours on it as I was under the impression it was good. before I got back into weights, me and that little girl spent a lot of time together.

I hope I am not wrong. but so far, it has done me well. I will definitely pay even closer attention though.

thanks brother.
I've always been advised the same thing as you.
Old 8 March 2023, 05:42 AM   #38
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Been doing Carnivore for the last year. Lost 60 pounds and have been at my target weight for 3 months now. Won't waste your time with all the details but I am feeling better than I ever have, sleeping great, have more energy and mental clarity, and all my vitals were on point at my last physical.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 05:54 AM   #39
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

thanks brother.
When I first got into the Paleo thing, a part of the concept was that humans evolved and developed in a certain way through the centuries and thousands of years, and what got us here is sort of a blueprint on how we can stay healthy. Obviously within reason.

So I sort of look at things through that lens when I try different things. How we evolved.

What exercises are better than others, diets etc. We obviously walked, and occasionally ran, and swam to some extent which one could say are our default movements. Hence sitting in chairs probably isn't, where squatting is. etc etc.

My understand of the problem with the elliptical compared to walking, is that people twisted more on the elliptical. And repeated flexion and twisting of the spine can cause degeneration and pain.

In other words, it's not a "natural" movement, hence some people have issues with it.

I'm guessing lots of people it may not affect, but if one has a history of back issues, I guess I'd probably stick to walking.

The whole point of both is really get the heart rate up, and work the muscles, and don't "pound" the knees. So personally I don't see any real advantage to an elliptical.
Old 8 March 2023, 06:05 AM   #40
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Don't be impressed. I had to stop at 68. I may get new knees and start again. Haven't decided yet.

I was at a party on Sunday and all these old puckers were there comparing their new hips, new knees, and new shoulders. We are all insane.

Don’t be impressed the man says… had to stop at 68. Blansk, when I reach 68 I hope I have the physical ability to reach for the remote, tune to a hockey game on TV and watch it without tearing an MCL and an ACL… and an achilles…and pulling my back out of alignment… and…
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 06:18 AM   #41
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Don’t be impressed the man says… had to stop at 68. Blansk, when I reach 68 I hope I have the physical ability to reach for the remote, tune to a hockey game on TV and watch it without tearing an MCL and an ACL… and an achilles…and pulling my back out of alignment… and…
Says the guy who played lacrosse, flew fighter jets, and has survived the dating scene in 2023.

MY GOD, YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!
Old 8 March 2023, 07:16 AM   #42
1st amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
An elliptical can offer more back support than a treadmill in many cases, especially depending on your incline %.
Really, yikes, I guess I could be wrong. All these years I seem to aggravate my back problems with that machine. And, now on the treadmill for many years I am still aggravating my back. I cannot quit as I mentally need the release every day. It keeps me sane some cardio every day and then weights every second day.
Old 8 March 2023, 07:50 AM   #43
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really, yikes, I guess I could be wrong. All these years I seem to aggravate my back problems with that machine. And, now on the treadmill for many years I am still aggravating my back. I cannot quit as I mentally need the release every day. It keeps me sane some cardio every day and then weights every second day.
Of course, every body is different, I wasn't trying to call you out as wrong, just sharing my personal experience and guidance I have received.
Old 8 March 2023, 07:52 AM   #44
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, I am another of the rare camp who enjoys cardio. An early morning cardio session followed by 20 mins in the sauna makes for a great day.
Old 8 March 2023, 08:51 AM   #45
dubins930

I have been like 80-90 percent keto for a while. I decide to do some calorie restriction and intermittent fasting to lose some fat. I need to up it a bit tho because I’m losing weight too quickly eating sausage/eggs/ and a ribeye everyday
Now I’m just doing 1 piece of fruit at my first meal to replenish a little glycogen so I don’t feel like I’m dying. I’ve never had so much energy from fruit haha ….
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 09:06 AM   #46
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:

No need to give up your passion for a little wear and tear. Get your knees done and head back to the ice. My dad thought he had to give up golf at 75. He got his knees replaced and is still golfing in his 90’s. He says he regrets not getting them done in his 60’s.

I had a parachute malfunction two years ago that messed up my back and blew out my knee. But a few surgical tweaks and I was back at it last fall.

Don’t let those skates get rusty!
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 09:15 AM   #47
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My ortho recommended I stay off the elliptical and treadmill. The treadmill still has impact and the elliptical imparts force in the wrong direction on the knee. He recommended a lower body arc trainer. There’s no impact, no twisting motion from arm bars, and the applied force is in the natural range of motion. I use one every day at the gym and have no pain in my knees or back.
Old 8 March 2023, 09:16 AM   #48
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
No need to give up your passion for a little wear and tear. Get your knees done and head back to the ice. My dad thought he had to give up golf at 75. He got his knees replaced and is still golfing in his 90’s. He says he regrets not getting them done in his 60’s.

I had a parachute malfunction two years ago that messed up my back and blew out my knee. But a few surgical tweaks and I was back at it last fall.

Don’t let those skates get rusty!
I'm seriously considering it. I basically quit when Covid hit and closed the rinks. Then we moved down to LA. But I have a friend who moved a couple of years before me and he's telling me to get my ass out there.

We'll see. I previously had 4 knee surgeries on them but they are shot now, so its gonna need new ones. I'll check Amazon.
Old 8 March 2023, 09:19 AM   #49
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm seriously considering it. I basically quit when Covid hit and closed the rinks. Then we moved down to LA. But I have a friend who moved a couple of years before me and he's telling me to get my ass out there.

We'll see. I previously had 4 knee surgeries on them but they are shot now, so its gonna need new ones. I'll check Amazon.
Cheaper at Costco.
Old 8 March 2023, 10:25 AM   #50
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:

I would wait until Black Friday, great deals could be had
Old 8 March 2023, 10:31 AM   #51
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I would wait until Black Friday, great deals could be had
And free shipping with Prime!
Old 8 March 2023, 10:44 AM   #52
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The big thing is to eliminate entirely alcohol, white carbs, sweets and all processed foods. The other thing is to get regular exercise, hopefully outdoors, up to an hour a day of brisk walking, biking, etc. Once that becomes routine, your wellbeing should improve. I have been doing it, but I am finding it's a slow process back to that blissful restorative sleep and waking up feeling great and energized. Hang in there you are on the right track.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:42 PM   #53
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Paul, I know general advice isn’t specifically what you are seeking here but I throw in my

You’re going to be hit here with “what works for me” type responses … so you’ll have to filter through.

I’m not a big fan of diet specific plans. I’ve seen some work and others not so much. The common theme in losing weight, and keeping it off is discipline.

I’d focus less on a specific diet plan, and more on eating lean and healthy. I like who ever the anonymous TRFr’s advice to you was about routine and eating on a regular schedule. Nothing past 6 pm.

I’m a big believer in moderation. If you deny yourself the foods you crave you just end up substituting other things, at least that’s how it works for many I believe.

Have some carbs, have some desserts whatever your poison. Make it once a day and keep it to a small portion. Eat lots of veggies and protein for the most part (meat or otherwise), and IMHO you’ll see results. Oh, and drink water, 3.5-4litres a day.

All the very best of luck!
Hey Paul, hoping not to be the “what worked for me guy” I have to say what Brian said is “what worked for me”. I lost just shy of 100lbs about 7 years ago and have kept it off with Brians suggestions. A well rounded diet, in moderation, lots of water and of course a physical exercise routine that you enjoy doing. For me it’s been three nights a week in the climbing gym and my weekly strenuous hike. I remember it wasn’t to long ago that you were enjoying some nice hikes.

Be kind to yourself, you have had a lot of things to address over the last year. Even badass fighter pilots get to be human. To your credit you haven’t curled up and crawled under a rock but you have decided you want to be on a different path. Thats where it starts. Body, Mind and Soul its always changing and sometimes challenging. Seek progress over perfection and celebrate the successes. 👍
Old 8 March 2023, 12:44 PM   #54
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
I have been like 80-90 percent keto for a while. I decide to do some calorie restriction and intermittent fasting to lose some fat. I need to up it a bit tho because I’m losing weight too quickly eating sausage/eggs/ and a ribeye everyday
Now I’m just doing 1 piece of fruit at my first meal to replenish a little glycogen so I don’t feel like I’m dying. I’ve never had so much energy from fruit haha ….
There is no such thing as 80-90% keto. Either you’re in a state of ketosis or not.
Old 8 March 2023, 12:53 PM   #55
1st amg

Quote:
Of course, every body is different, I wasn't trying to call you out as wrong, just sharing my personal experience and guidance I have received.

No not at all offended. I was also sharing my personal experience and guidance. Your probably right that everyone’s body is different and so to are our ailments with our back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2023, 01:03 PM   #56
dubins930

Quote:
There is no such thing as 80-90% keto. Either you’re in a state of ketosis or not.
Your body can still utilize fat for energy even with a small amount of carbs. Replenishing live glycogen with after fasting for 16+ hours will result in fat loss, hence ketosis. Your body will utilize what is available for energy and will utilize fats in the right situation. Your last statement is wrong, ketosis is simply the metabolic process of utilizing fat for energy, not a diet in itself.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 01:03 PM   #57
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think he means cycling in and out of it.

People eating relatively low carb and doing intermittent fasting for 16 hours a day are probably cycling in and out of it as well.
Old 8 March 2023, 01:10 PM   #58
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
Hey Paul, hoping not to be the “what worked for me guy” I have to say what Brian said is “what worked for me”. I lost just shy of 100lbs about 7 years ago and have kept it off with Brians suggestions. A well rounded diet, in moderation, lots of water and of course a physical exercise routine that you enjoy doing. For me it’s been three nights a week in the climbing gym and my weekly strenuous hike. I remember it wasn’t to long ago that you were enjoying some nice hikes.

Be kind to yourself, you have had a lot of things to address over the last year. Even badass fighter pilots get to be human. To your credit you haven’t curled up and crawled under a rock but you have decided you want to be on a different path. Thats where it starts. Body, Mind and Soul its always changing and sometimes challenging. Seek progress over perfection and celebrate the successes. 👍
Thank you, much appreciated
Old 8 March 2023, 07:47 PM   #59
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post

Be kind to yourself, you have had a lot of things to address over the last year. Even badass fighter pilots get to be human. To your credit you haven’t curled up and crawled under a rock but you have decided you want to be on a different path. Thats where it starts. Body, Mind and Soul its always changing and sometimes challenging. Seek progress over perfection and celebrate the successes.
Sincere congratulations on your accomplishment! That is amazing and I'm very happy to hear

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 06:50 AM   #60
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Diet fads come and go. Mediterranean diet has the most extensive research and data to back it up. The benefits are not simply weight, but many health metrics and is more balanced in my eyes.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote