The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2024, 06:04 AM   #31
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Not to hijack, but in the northern Florida/South Georgia region is there an AD that also sells Blancpain?
I’m kind of becoming obsessed with maybe shooting for a DJ 36 with the green dial (total diversion from my usual stance on all things Rolex and despite my original intention to get a 36 mm Explorer - which is still in the running)

I offered the wife to get her one to her liking as well, but she really doesn’t like Rolex. She is however interested maybe in one of the Blancpain models to go along with her favorite Omega I got her years ago.
Might be helpful to get hers from the same place to increase my chances of getting the DJ or Explorer. Not sure how popular the 36 DJ in green (fluted and jubilee because what the heck why not) actually is. I don’t mind waiting a few months but not years.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 07:08 AM   #32
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Not to hijack, but in the northern Florida/South Georgia region is there an AD that also sells Blancpain?
I’m kind of becoming obsessed with maybe shooting for a DJ 36 with the green dial (total diversion from my usual stance on all things Rolex and despite my original intention to get a 36 mm Explorer - which is still in the running)

I offered the wife to get her one to her liking as well, but she really doesn’t like Rolex. She is however interested maybe in one of the Blancpain models to go along with her favorite Omega I got her years ago.
Might be helpful to get hers from the same place to increase my chances of getting the DJ or Explorer. Not sure how popular the 36 DJ in green (fluted and jubilee because what the heck why not) actually is. I don’t mind waiting a few months but not years.
Looking at either South Florida or Charlotte.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 10:32 AM   #33
whatsthetime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
It is only speculation at this point but one store independents like your AD are getting purged by Rolex left and right. One of them in Canada lost their license this year even though it was located in an area with wealthy people living nearby. Rolex doesn't care at this point and even less so if there is a dedicated boutique nearby owned by a multi-store jewelry chain like Mayors.

On top of that location matters a lot, Mayors is right next to other high end brands like Louis Vuitton and Tiffanny in an upscale shopping center. Not to sound too rude but your Underwood store from the outside looks a bit rubbish next to a paint shop and the whole neighborhood looks outdated. The boulevard itself is full of cracks, that part of town seems neglected and needs some tough love. I am sure it is a lovely place inside but Rolex wants to project an image of luxury and exclusivity, and there is no stone left unturned from the brand to accomplish their goals. If I were to bet on which location would make the cut, I would put my money on Mayors.
I was in Underwoods the other day and they told me that Mayors lost their AD status and that they're the only AD left in the Jax / Saint Johns area.

I also used to walk into Underwoods and purchase whatever I wanted on the spot (2018-2020). I'm 9 Rolexes deep into them including several solid gold pieces along with Tudors and other assorted jewelry. They told me that all of their inventory was display only and that if I wanted anything, I'd have to be put on a wait list.
whatsthetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 12:46 PM   #34
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I don’t know but I got my last three Rolexes at Underwood in Ponte Vedra, including my BLNR.

I got my Seamaster at Mayors several years back, but I had no idea they were in the process of remodeling.

All I know is that Underwood came through for me, but Mayors did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What else did you have to buy at Underwoods to get a blnr????
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 01:40 PM   #35
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgprint View Post
What else did you have to buy at Underwoods to get a blnr????

For our 30th anniversary, we treated ourselves to his and her Datejusts. That was exciting for us. We were thrilled and still are.

I never expected the opportunity to get a BLNR to be totally honest. But I got the call about a year later and picked it up the next day.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 02:07 PM   #36
donkey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime View Post

I also used to walk into Underwoods and purchase whatever I wanted on the spot (2018-2020). I'm 9 Rolexes deep into them including several solid gold pieces along with Tudors and other assorted jewelry. They told me that all of their inventory was display only and that if I wanted anything, I'd have to be put on a wait list.

what in the hail???!
donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 05:31 PM   #37
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime View Post
I was in Underwoods the other day and they told me that Mayors lost their AD status and that they're the only AD left in the Jax / Saint Johns area.

Great first post! Welcome to TRF!

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 07:45 PM   #38
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Same behavior at the Mayors in Boca. Nothing for sale, yet all the display cases are full. Maybe it’s a museum.

The issue with Mayors is they are a national chain and also owned by Watches of Switzerland who is a Patek etc AD. Allocations at Mayors are controlled and chosen nationally, not locally. This is a huge problem because if you’re a Mayors client in Florida who bought a Tudor and a Breitling and are hoping for an allocation for a submariner or GMT… you’re on the same list competing with the guys who have spent a half million dollars at Watches of Switzerland in Soho, NYC. Anyone looking to establish a Rolex AD relationship I can’t stress enough how much of a waste of time and money it is doing it at Mayors.

Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 09:41 PM   #39
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
The issue with Mayors is they are a national chain and also owned by Watches of Switzerland who is a Patek etc AD. Allocations at Mayors are controlled and chosen nationally, not locally. This is a huge problem because if you’re a Mayors client in Florida who bought a Tudor and a Breitling and are hoping for an allocation for a submariner or GMT… you’re on the same list competing with the guys who have spent a half million dollars at Watches of Switzerland in Soho, NYC. Anyone looking to establish a Rolex AD relationship I can’t stress enough how much of a waste of time and money it is doing it at Mayors.

This explains a lot. When I walk into Mayors, I’m basically treated like a pleb. When I walk into Underwood, they roll out the red carpet. I have experienced first hand what you’re describing.

Old 8 January 2024, 11:21 PM   #40
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
This explains a lot. When I walk into Mayors, I’m basically treated like a pleb. When I walk into Underwood, they roll out the red carpet. I have experienced first hand what you’re describing.

Yep. Don’t even waste your time. Leave a 1 star review on google just so Mayors and WOS corporate know that there are people who hate their exclusionary business practices and move on to another AD.
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 11:27 PM   #41
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
That really doesn't matter as much as you think in Rolex grand plan.

There are plenty of other independent AD who were in "affluent" areas, but had old stores in strip malls that got the axe.
The only AD in Savannah got the axe with Hilton Head right next door. Now the nearest AD is two hours away. Nothing they are doing surprises me anymore, but I really hope Underwood’s is safe.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 05:00 AM   #42
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

I have had the 180 degree opposite treatment.

Got my SD43 with into 2 weeks of asking. Very minimal purchase history.

They have always treated me well.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 05:49 AM   #43
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:

This Jeweler: https://www.leighjewelers.com. has a decent free standing store in proximity to the Orchid Island / Indian River Shores area.

Those communities rank #6 and #9 in terms of wealthiest neighborhoods in FL.

https://mfi-miami.com/2018/04/top-10...neighborhoods/

Leigh Jewelers lost their AD status about 4yrs ago. People in that area either drive to Orlando or the Palm Beach area to obtain Rolex from freshly remodeled stores and boutiques.

Will the golf connection help in that area of JAX area? Maybe. I would suspect Daytona is on the Hitlist too based on their old and inadequate facility, but the auto racing scene may prove to be an exception.

There are plenty of other independent AD who were in "affluent" areas, but had old stores in strip malls that got the axe.
The AD on St Armand’s Circle was one of the first to go when this first started. Before we knew what was going on. As you know that’s an extremely wealthy area. I was surprised to see that.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 06:35 AM   #44
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
I agree that the closures don’t always make sense or follow an exact pattern.
Couple of fairly recent cases I’m aware of:
1. I.W. Marks in central Houston was a Rolex dealer as long as I can remember. Its patriarch got some publicity by supplying Ellen DeGeneres with a SS Daytona when she first started collecting and lamented on her show how she was having trouble getting one. Family owned large jewelry store with other watch brands and plenty of loyal customers. But things started to change I think when a competing jeweler opened the first Rolex only Boutique in 2014 just a few miles away. It was also in a dreaded strip center location albeit its anchor. They lost Rolex several years ago and at the end of last year the owners retired and closed shop. There are now only five Rolex outlets in the nation’s 4th biggest city with only three owners.
2. Susan Robinson Jewelers in Tyler TX, probably very similar to the Florida independent being discussed here. Tyler’s population is probably around 100K but it’s a hub for oil and timber industries, its metro area certainly had the people and wealth to support an AD. Still, I kept watching to see what would happen and early last year the remaining family owners announced they were retiring and closing their store. They remained a Rolex dealer until the end but have not been replaced in the area and I’m sure now they won’t be. The closest Rolex stores now are several hours away in Dallas and Shreveport.

So yes area wealth is no guarantee for a dealer. There are pockets of that all over the US, nothing special about that. My current area has a metro population of at least half a million and three Fortune 500 headquarters with lots of employees and one independent Rolex dealer. I hope they stay one but no certainties these days.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 10:55 AM   #45
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I know the people at Underwoods rather well, and I'd be surprised if they lost their AD status.

I know you can never predict with Rolex but I don't see it happening.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 11:30 AM   #46
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
St John’s county is the third wealthiest county in all of Florida. Underwoods most likely is safe. They also try very hard to make sure their watches go to people that actually want to wear them. I’m excited they now have grand seiko.
To the dude talking smack on San Marco. There is a ton of charm in that area. You ever been to east hampton?? There’s a frickin ace hardware across from jimmy choo! Same vibe in San Marco though not quite as bougie.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 11:57 AM   #47
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post

I got a white gold Daytona ghost, a Rolex Explorer 1, and a Pepsi from Mayors with zero purchase history. This was in late 2019. I used to travel there for work quite often. My SA left and went to Channel so no longer an AD to me.
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 12:03 PM   #48
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Mayors Jacksonville FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
St John’s county is the third wealthiest county in all of Florida. Underwoods most likely is safe. They also try very hard to make sure their watches go to people that actually want to wear them. I’m excited they now have grand seiko.
To the dude talking smack on San Marco. There is a ton of charm in that area. You ever been to east hampton?? There’s a frickin ace hardware across from jimmy choo! Same vibe in San Marco though not quite as bougie.

The dude knocking San Marco is from Canada. lol. I’m going out on a limb here and saying he’s never been there. But I agree. San Marco is a charming community with a hip vibe to it.

Plus, I don’t think he realizes that I was talking about the Ponte Vedra store and that’s a completely different location altogether. Lots of wealth, prestige and old money there. One of the most prestigious golf courses on the planet is right there. It hosts the players tournament every year. Ponte Vedra is most certainly not a run down area.

Old 9 January 2024, 12:27 PM   #49
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I agree that the closures don’t always make sense or follow an exact pattern.
Couple of fairly recent cases I’m aware of:
1. I.W. Marks in central Houston was a Rolex dealer as long as I can remember. Its patriarch got some publicity by supplying Ellen DeGeneres with a SS Daytona when she first started collecting and lamented on her show how she was having trouble getting one. Family owned large jewelry store with other watch brands and plenty of loyal customers. But things started to change I think when a competing jeweler opened the first Rolex only Boutique in 2014 just a few miles away. It was also in a dreaded strip center location albeit its anchor. They lost Rolex several years ago and at the end of last year the owners retired and closed shop. There are now only five Rolex outlets in the nation’s 4th biggest city with only three owners.
2. Susan Robinson Jewelers in Tyler TX, probably very similar to the Florida independent being discussed here. Tyler’s population is probably around 100K but it’s a hub for oil and timber industries, its metro area certainly had the people and wealth to support an AD. Still, I kept watching to see what would happen and early last year the remaining family owners announced they were retiring and closing their store. They remained a Rolex dealer until the end but have not been replaced in the area and I’m sure now they won’t be. The closest Rolex stores now are several hours away in Dallas and Shreveport.

So yes area wealth is no guarantee for a dealer. There are pockets of that all over the US, nothing special about that. My current area has a metro population of at least half a million and three Fortune 500 headquarters with lots of employees and one independent Rolex dealer. I hope they stay one but no certainties these days.

In ancient medieval times, people blamed comets and shooting stars for famines, droughts, and plagues.

The logic was simple. The comet or shooting star coincided with the event. Therefore, the comet or shooting star must be the reason.

That’s no different than what is being posted about Underwood in this thread. People can cite some examples of similar ADs losing status. Therefore, that will happen to all ADs of similar stature. That is the logic being applied here.

Old 9 January 2024, 12:37 PM   #50
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
In ancient medieval times, people blamed comets and shooting stars for famines, droughts, and plagues.

The logic was simple. The comet or shooting star coincided with the event. Therefore, the comet or shooting star must be the reason.

That’s no different than what is being posted about Underwood in this thread. People can cite some examples of similar ADs losing status. Therefore, that will happen to all ADs of similar stature. That is the logic being applied here.

I’m just mostly agreeing with Fleetlord that the relative wealth of an area doesn’t guarantee ADs status anymore. I hope your dealer is around for years to come. That said I would bet over a third of US dealers have been dropped in the decade or so.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 01:52 PM   #51
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For our 30th anniversary, we treated ourselves to his and her Datejusts. That was exciting for us. We were thrilled and still are.

I never expected the opportunity to get a BLNR to be totally honest. But I got the call about a year later and picked it up the next day.

That was Before the big rush though right?
Old 9 January 2024, 02:36 PM   #52
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgprint View Post
That was Before the big rush though right?

Two years ago. It was January 2022 when I asked. I got mine in June or July. My wife got hers in August or September. So we were knee deep in the supply/demand conundrum.

Old 9 January 2024, 07:48 PM   #53
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Point taken, but I think it’s a little more than that. Rolex is clearly favoring larger chains over smaller independents. Mayors is in the process of a huge renovation. I don’t think Underwood’s has renovated in quite awhile, but could be wrong as haven’t been there in a couple of years.

I know the PV area is rich as heck, there is no doubt that. But from the global perspective of Rolex, that area is likely nothing special or so much of an outlier from other affluent areas that it would warrant them to not consider closing them down as part of their current streamlining strategy. It’s not exactly Beverly Hills in terms of market size or stature.

I truly hope they aren’t shut down and I don’t think that’s the odds on most likely outcome, I think the golf connection will likely be strong enough to keep them safe at least in the short term. If they were freshly renovated or had a planned renovation, that would be a strong sign. If they are eventually shut down, I wouldn’t be shocked at all.
Old 9 January 2024, 11:00 PM   #54
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Point taken, but I think it’s a little more than that. Rolex is clearly favoring larger chains over smaller independents. Mayors is in the process of a huge renovation. I don’t think Underwood’s has renovated in quite awhile, but could be wrong as haven’t been there in a couple of years.

I know the PV area is rich as heck, there is no doubt that. But from the global perspective of Rolex, that area is likely nothing special or so much of an outlier from other affluent areas that it would warrant them to not consider closing them down as part of their current streamlining strategy. It’s not exactly Beverly Hills in terms of market size or stature.

I truly hope they aren’t shut down and I don’t think that’s the odds on most likely outcome, I think the golf connection will likely be strong enough to keep them safe at least in the short term. If they were freshly renovated or had a planned renovation, that would be a strong sign. If they are eventually shut down, I wouldn’t be shocked at all.

Quote:

I would like to see less anecdotal data and more scientific data. Do we know how many ADs are in the USA now? How many were there 10 years ago? How many were larger chains versus smaller chains? How many new ADs are there? I’m pretty sure ADs come and go all the time and the number pretty much stays the same.

Also, are we sure they are mostly larger chains? I don’t think so. I think the opposite is true.

It always seems to me as if TRF collectively suffers from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Someone reads something about an AD closing, and then assumes it’s a harbinger or omen for the things to come. I just don’t buy into any of it. There is never enough supporting data to draw any conclusions.

Old 9 January 2024, 11:22 PM   #55
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would like to see less anecdotal data and more scientific data. Do we know how many ADs are in the USA now? How many were there 10 years ago? How many were larger chains versus smaller chains? How many new ADs are there? I’m pretty sure ADs come and go all the time and the number pretty much stays the same.

Also, are we sure they are mostly larger chains? I don’t think so. I think the opposite is true.

It always seems to me as if TRF collectively suffers from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Someone reads something about an AD closing, and then assumes it’s a harbinger or omen for the things to come. I just don’t buy into any of it. There is never enough supporting data to draw any conclusions.

You can find all the AD changes for every month on Reddit. The total number of ADs has been dropping for quite some time. In January of last year, 18 ADs were closed with no openings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/comme..._january_2022/

There is a magnitude of publicly available data available to support the conclusions that have been presented to you. Calling it a “Generalized Anxiety Disorder” just shows you aren’t aware of the realities of the downsizing strategy that Rolex has been employing for quite some time. Not to mention it’s a tad bit of an insult.
Old 9 January 2024, 11:44 PM   #56
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You can find all the AD changes for every month on Reddit. The total number of ADs has been dropping for quite some time. In January of last year, 18 ADs were closed with no openings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/comme..._january_2022/

There is a magnitude of publicly available data available to support the conclusions that have been presented to you. Calling it a “Generalized Anxiety Disorder” just shows you aren’t aware of the realities of the downsizing strategy that Rolex has been employing for quite some time. Not to mention it’s a tad bit of an insult.

That’s good. That’s tangible data . A 5% drop in ADs. So there is a trend.

I still wouldn’t conclude any specific AD is losing its status because of this. That seems like a reach to me.

Also, I’d love to have more detailed data in terms of AD classes and market demographics. (i.e., large chains vs small chains & small markets vs medium markets vs large markets).

Old 15 January 2024, 01:04 PM   #57
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Friend of mine said mayors not done until end of 24, maybe 25 with build out
Old 15 January 2024, 01:14 PM   #58
Frenco
"TRF" Member

I think it’s gone forever
Frenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 05:34 AM   #59
saywhat44
"TRF" Member

I was at Underwoods in PV about a month ago for the first time. My SA couldn't have been more pleasant. It was my first time in there and he was amazing. I was with my wife and kids at the time. I honestly was astounded with how nice he was to not only me but to my family. I have been to Mayors at Town Center in the past and just felt like they couldn't be bothered. It certainly wasn't a warm and welcoming vibe. I believe I remember seeing an article that they expect the renovation to be done in fall of 2024 (I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is what is said). So I imagine they'll get their AD designation back in for 2025. I already have a plan on buying several different Rolexes for myself and since we got home that day my wife now wants one too. I would personally rather wait an extra year and buy from Underwoods. That is just me I am not saying there is anything wrong with Mayors. I just really appreciated how we were treated at Underwoods.
saywhat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 10:52 AM   #60
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Another side note concerning Underwood Jewelers.
The owners of this business are the Bromberg family, who currently have 2 fine jewelry locations in Birmingham Alabama. The Underwood operation is run by Clayton Bromberg and the relationship this family has with Rolex is fairly secure.
I’d say Mayors would be gone long before Underwood’s.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote